2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,458 | Reviews: 940 | Show All Ratings:
feloniousmonk

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

"French oak chardonnay barrels", eh? I smell it once the cork comes out.

Lovely pale amber color, nearing orange, completely cloudy, witha thick, sturdy snowy cushion of foam above.

Potent aromatics, screaming sour from afar....on closer inspection, yup, that's tart, with citrus and spice squeaking in...deep, heady stuff....beautiful.

Sourness is the main game in the mouth, blasting the tongue, then fading gently. Bracingly tart. Then smooth, but never releasing the hold of the tart, accompanied by some fruit and a bit of spice. Nice.

Full-bodied and fresh. Zesty, snappy, tangy...quite an accomplishment, matching the quality of Belgian ales so well that if you didn't know, you'd swear this bottle crossed an ocean.

Fine and mellow, this tempting ale. Delightful. Delicious. D'lovely.

12-06-2005 07:15:10 | More by feloniousmonk
RedDiamond

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Temptation draws intentional and immediate comparisons to wine. The beer’s character develops during 12 months of aging in French oak wine barrels where it undergoes a secondary fermentation with Brettanomyces. It then gains a third fermentation in corked bottles. This produces a sour, white wine aroma with brisk, giddy carbonation feeding a soft film of head. The brew is very blond, mostly clear, and delivers a violent uncorking.

Temptation expertly showcases the refined complexities of its oak pedigree. The tart acidity of its long-term relationship with Brett yields a champagne-like expression. The beer boasts a wealth of artistry and sophistication and would achieve sublime expression in the company of sliced Jonagolds and farmer’s cheese. A standout example of contemporary west coast beercraft.

Batch 001, 7.25% ABV. Special thanks to Brewbacca for the trade.

12-05-2005 03:25:06 | More by RedDiamond
ggaughan

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this last night at the back bar at Monk's. I have been waiting to try it for awhile as I have held off on the bottle in my basement.

The Temptation pours a very hazy orange/yellow color with a nice thick and sparkling head.

The first few sips of this beer definitely reminds you that it has been aged in Chardonnay barrels for an extended period of time and then you get the sour and bitterness that is trademark RR.

I wish the bottle was a 25oz because I could have enjoyed this much longer but at $16 a bottle I was limited myself to one...for now.

After my first try of the Temptation I will befinitely age the bottle I have at home and try it a few more time at Monk's because this is another winner from Russian River. Great job Vinnie.

11-24-2005 04:38:03 | More by ggaughan
rajendra82

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked up by BA RedwoodGeorge for the trade with me, this beer came in an oddly sized (375 ml) corked brown bottle, with a wire cage to finish the package. The cork came out resoundingly, and the beer started forming head in the bottle before pouring! The vigorous carbonation action continued unabated in the oversized wine glass, and the head that formed kept building up over the first few minutes rather than dissipating, and at the end of this spectacle, the head crowned an inch above the rim of the glass in the shape of a volcano.

The body underlying Mount Temptation was pale, cloudy, and very bubbly. The aroma was soured unripe cherries and fresh cut hay. There was also a little more alcohol in the nose than I was expecting. The taste was oh so dry and tart. Not quite as mouth-puckeringly acidic as a gueze lambic, this beer still had a similar taste of a lemon-lime juice mixed with wheat ale. There was also a peppery zing followed by a tannic woody flavor, and a hint of sweetness. Unlike a true lambic, there was no horse blanket funk here.

The finish was smooth and vanilla-creamy, and the aforementioned sweetness a little more noticeable in the aftertaste. This beer exhibited a very complex flavor profile, and yet remained quite drinkable and refreshing.

11-21-2005 03:50:33 | More by rajendra82
whartontallboy

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

After much deliberation, I tried this one at Monk's.

Pours out a cloudy yellow-gold with a very small white head that recedes slowly and leaves a little bit of lacing. Not an overwhelming beer to look at.

Smell is pure brett and chardonnay, with some grapes, peach, and oak coming through.

Flavor is incredible. It's got so much going on. It tastes like chardonnay as it hits your tongue, with a big dry grape flavor and some light fruitiness, but it gradually gives way to a nutty, almost cheese-like beer flavor that lets a lot of peach, graph, and honeydew flavors come in. Lemon and yeast flavors read pretty well, too.

Mouthfeel is a spritzy medium, meeting the flavor perfectly.

Overall: Wow. I thought this one would be overhyped, but I thought it was incredible. Surely worth seeking out.

11-10-2005 03:58:54 | More by whartontallboy
DogFood11

3.4/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I aged this for almost a year after purchase on a reccomendation from the beer manager at High times near newport beach. Popped the cork on a special occasion served in a small tulip.

Golden with Orange hue around the edges. Head and lacing are lacking.

First gulp reminded me of a chardonay. Big grape, sour, bitter, and some sweetness to finish. Some oak, wooded, earthy interior but mostly this brew reminded me of a fine chardonay with more carbonation and earthy tones to it.

I really think this should be aged a long long time. I aged it but it didn't settle down yet. Give this one a few years. For now its a glorified wine.

11-06-2005 17:14:58 | More by DogFood11
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

This one by far one of the most unique beers I have ever had the privilege to drink. The color was light golden with a large head, which left exquisite lacing. You could possibly mistake the appearance and/or bouquet for champagne, but with much less carbonation. The aroma was outstanding, with heavy French oak, vanilla and mild citrus.
I was still trying to figure out how to describe the taste an hour after finishing my glass. I have to agree with the cliché and mention the wine-like taste (possibly some tannins?), with pear, apple, vanilla, oak, starting off sour and leaving a VERY long, sweet, smooth aftertaste of sweet fruits and banana on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel was also excellent and smooth and creamy.
I could definitely drink this with dinner or stand-alone. It was refreshing and nearly perfectly balanced; leaving me wanting to check out the rest of what Russian River has to offer. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these.

11-02-2005 17:07:32 | More by sinistrsam
asabreed

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 001, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: A hazy golden yellow, huge head, and fervent, spidery lacing around the glass.

Smell: Tons of stuff going on, the oak from the barrels, vinous characteristics, some fruit like pear and sour cherries, some lemon, slight vanilla. Ridiculously balanced and you don't want to get your nose out of it.

Taste: Mostly sour at first, but this is a sour of balance, of taste, of beauty. Some light fruit like the pear and cherries comes through, the oak and vanilla comes through, and yes, the sourness. It's an altogether fantastic combination, beautifully done in all aspects. The aftertaste lingers in such great ways, too. It stays on the back of the tongue, enhances everything. And there's also some light banana as it sits on the tongue. Wowness. Is this a wine? No, this is a beer, and it should be treated as such.

Mouthfeel: Silky, creamy, perfectly carbonated. Drink slowly, savor, and swish this sucker around to see what's really going on.

Drinkability: I give it a 5 because I could drink this all day, every day. 8.5%? Are you serious? Immaculately hidden, and that's not even the point. This is a fine, fine beer. Worth the $8.99 for the 12.7 oz. bottle? Yes. Expensive? Yes. But worth it? Again, yes. I have a bottle of Supplication waiting for me, and it's slightly ineffable how juiced I am for this. Try this, you owe it to yourself.

10-28-2005 04:56:18 | More by asabreed
GnomeKing

My first 5 for appearance, and it's well deserved. The head was ample and fluffy. The lacing as intricate as a snowflake. The body a rich gold, slightly cloudy.

The mouthfeel was chewy and soft, which wasn't surprising judging by the fluffy head.

I could smell a strong alcohol taste before I took my sip. The taste was balanced between tart and sweet at first, and then seesawed mostly toward tartness as I finished. There were some hints of fruits and malt to add just a tinge of complexity. I think that the strength of the tartness diminished the drinkability a bit, but if there had been another waiting in my fridge when I was done, I still would have put it out of its misery.

10-28-2005 00:38:31 | More by GnomeKing
baiser

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow, is this a beer or wine? I've never experienced a beer like this. Aged in oak chardonnay barrels, the aroma certainly shows it. Apples, pear, oak in the nose. The cork smelled like ripe apples too. I couldn't get enough of the aroma. This beer is dry, fruity and light bodied. Some earthiness, fruitiness, some characteristics of white wine. An extremely enjoyable and truly unique beer.

10-23-2005 23:30:31 | More by baiser
Fugazme

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had some very high expectations... they weren't entirely met.

Pours very orange/coppery/slightly cloudy. Some big bubbles in the head. Very white. Great stickage to the glass. Looks very, very nice.

First whiff was pure chardonnay... apples, pear, oak, alcohol. Wow. Second whiff was the same, only with a slight hint of some malt... finally reminding me it was a beer.

The palate was very dry and gone quickly. This is where I got a tad dissapointed. It was very good, but was gone. Tart, tannic, and appley, but not a great finish. That's the only draw back in my opinion.

It really is hard to tell this is a beer. I would drink it again.

10-17-2005 23:41:22 | More by Fugazme
meathookjones

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Batch 001. Appears a cloudy golden yellow with a quick forming tall fizzy white head. As the head dies down streaks and some rings remain. Tart fruity aroma with some interesting white wine notes that are integrated nicely. A bit of lemon and some funkiness to it as well. A bit lambic like and very unique. The flavor starts with a bit of sweet fruit with a nice tartness along side it. Some woody notes and funky Brett things are going on as well. Similarities to wine and lambic show through. All the different flavors pull together very well. Very smooth and well carbonated. For the complexities going on in this its really drinkable stuff. A unique and delicious beer that everyone should try.

10-14-2005 19:53:40 | More by meathookjones
WesWes

4.2/5  rDev -6%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a pale malt scent that is overridden with tart bacteria and yeast aroma. It's almost lambic in nature. The taste is good. It has a smooth pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry and tart. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a damn fine brew. It's light and refreshing with a kick ass sour finish that's a bit warm on the way down. This is a great drinker.

10-08-2005 01:11:50 | More by WesWes
GeoffFromSJ

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Nice head. Between gold and amber in color.

Taste is really nice mixture of the underlying blonde ale and the bret used during the process. Funky, but not overwhelming so.

Very smooth mouthfeel.

This one is quite drinkable due to being funky and having a good underlying blonde taste.

Had at Tria in Philly with a raw milk sheep cheese. A pretty good pairing.

10-03-2005 00:19:20 | More by GeoffFromSJ
Boilermaker88

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Presented in a 12.7oz corked and caged bottle bearing a batch number (001 in this case) that's nearly lost amongst all the data about and instruction on how to properly enjoy this brew. Following the label's advice, I pulled out my handy-dandy Duvel glass and popped the cork.
Appearance: darker than I recall from my samplings at the ABF last June. Similar to wet straw. Sported a 1" deep spritzy white head that left ghostly etchings of lace behind and was easily recalled by a light swirling of the glass.
The nose fairly barked vino as the aroma of chardonney seized my nostrils. Quick to follow was the note of oaken woodiness and, on a lesser level, vanilla bean. The label mentions the use of Brett in the brewing - no kidding. The aroma easily stands out. Kinda like once you smell a meth lab, you KNOW it's a meth lab. Same kind of thing going on here.
The taste is a happy marriage of beer and wine as the parching chardonney flavor wrestles with the funkiness of the Brett for something that begs description but is hard to put into words. Oak and vanilla somewhat smooth things out but the dryness and tartness is inescapable. Citric tang is also present. This is one wild ride for the taste buds. The feel is light shading toward medium, smooth and bone-dry.
Overall, I think this could become like liquid meth for me. Glad I have another bottle but wish they were bigger than these puny not-quite 13oz runts. Time for Temptation to be bomber-ized, methinks. Anyway, another fabulous beer by Vinnie and the crew at Russian River.

09-26-2005 05:07:38 | More by Boilermaker88
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours from the 12.7oz mini champagne-style, corked & caged bottle a light straw colour with a thick white head. The bottle has a nice long ramble about the beer, and says Batch #1.

Smell is musty and sour up front, with green apple and a slightly oaky scent.

Taste is amazingly complex. It stars off sour and acidic, with nice bright fruity flavours. Mouthfeel is light to medium, with spicy alcohol presenting itself as it warms. Oak flavours again are present, and complement it perfectly. Finishes with winey grape flavours, then trails off to a dry sourness.

This beer is very drinkable, but I'm not sure how many bottles I could have in a row. I love lambics, and was pleasently surprised by this my first taste of an American Wild Ale. Very impressive, and I hope to try more of these.

09-14-2005 12:45:32 | More by Beervis
bditty187

Nebraska

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lightly hazy, dull gold in hue with a sunshiny amber-coppery highlight; the liquid looks well enough but I’ve seen more eye-catching. The head was white in color, at the foams heights point the tinny bubbles bonded long enough to create one-finger of froth. Head retention was fair; it quickly subsided to a thin, soapy cap. About halfway through my slow sipping a thin, half collar was all that remained. I wish the head retention was better, something needed to liven-up the appearance. There wasn’t much subsequent lacing, only a few splashes of foam. I like how this beer looks but it is far from remarkable.

The nose is totally Belgian. Hardcore Belgian! [Note: I say Belgian but I realize that Brett and oak-aging and whatnot are not just Belgian things. Still, I can’t help but feel a Belgian connection… even if RR didn’t want one or not]. Lambic bloodlines, I bet the daddy’s name was Brett. It is funky. It is acidic. Lightly earthy but more so green apples, white grapes, and pears, hints of oak with some lemon zest. Sour candy. At the back are hints of white wine. Firm but yielding potency, the bouquet is very articulate. It is Belgium in a glass via Northern California... either that, or it is uniquely American via Russian River. The nose is inviting for me… but for you? I don’t know. The nose warns the weak and summons the brave. I am about to answer its call.

The first half sip was disappointing. It was clean. WTF? By the swallow, oh my… does this beer develop wonderfully. The lemony acidity with a sour underbelly is truly amazing. I’ve never had a beer with such an exposed soul. It is gentle but demanding. This little aspect is so flavorful. There is not much flash here; it is just some straightforward yeasty influences. There are dry white wine notes, oak, and acidic with some tangy candy, some fruitiness, wheat, and even some vanilla. The palate is complex but I think I can figure it out, which isn’t a good or bad thing. All in all, the flavor profile is stunning, especially the lemony aspects. That vibe alone makes this beer noteworthy. I want to call this beer clean… but I think what I’m feeling is just a very well put-together (and fresh) beverage. It is very tasty… I mean, scrumptious to the nth degree. Impressive, from first to last sip.

Medium in body, light but ticklish carbonation plays with the acidity to create a refreshing and enjoyable mouthfeel. There is a long aftertaste which is a culmination of everything detected on the palate. It is warm and a little raw on the throat but I would have never guessed this beer was over 7% abv. Wow.

Wow again. This beer is a drinkable beast. I need a thesaurus because I can’t stop calling this beer impressive. Tart. Acidic. Funky. Bitter. Citrusy. And truly brilliant! I haven’t had many beers like this, if any. As good as the palate is the drinkability is the shinning achievement here. It is refreshing, enjoyable, and complex but no to the point that it can’t be conquered. I am happy I purchased a bottle online from RR, it was worth every cent. Recommended.

Batch 001

09-13-2005 13:23:59 | More by bditty187
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Hazy golden sandy blonde. Head is white, small, lasting. Very vinous nose contains strong farmy and funky notes that seems to multiply the fruit presence. Banana bread soaked in cider and banged around with tart white grapes. Globally very fresh and classy, yet you feel this would survive many years. The palate is delicate, flowery and vibrantly tart in a pineapple way. Fresh fruitiness brings the complexity through the roof. It somehow manages to remain accessible thanks to a striking balance and transcendent "classiness". Bretty cobwebs, cidery salty minerals. Satisfying, juicy, yet dry. Firm champaigny carbonation, smooth palate. My new favorite from Vinnie.

09-12-2005 01:19:01 | More by Rastacouere
BeerBuilder

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Batch #1 in a 1.5 liter bottle

Pours to a clear golden-yellow with a creamy white head. Leaves a nice amount of lacing when sipped down. The aroma is sour and tart with a lemony/herbal funkiness. Very nice. The flavor is yeasty, funky with a nice subtle oakiness. It has a bit of sour fruitiness throughout as well. It is very smooth drinking for such a high octane brew.

I like it. Special thanks to Stubob SweatPants for sharing this one. I know I will never hear the end of it, how I never bring shit to the table except for Strohs.

09-11-2005 22:29:56 | More by BeerBuilder
merlin48

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

12.7 oz bottle, corked and caged, batch 001, served in a large tulip glass at cellar temperature. Smoke billows forth from the bottle for several seconds after the cork is twisted off. Hazy, golden yellow body is topped by three inches of bonewhite custard meringue. Excellent head retention and very attractive chains of small bubbled foam lace the glass.
Aroma is lambic and geuze-like, with a heavy presence of oak wood. Very sour lemon and the tartest of cherries mingle with a dirty cattleyard Brett funkiness. Very earthy and woodsy, as the oak notes waver between sawed wood and vanilla. Floral hops serve up notes of a greenhouse of botanicals. Exceptional bouquet.
Mouthfeel has a medium body and frisky carbonation, becoming satiny as it warms.
Taste is extremely complex. Lambic sourness and lemony acidity are immediately noted. Strong oak presence wavers between vanilla and sawed wood, as in the aroma. Chardonay wine notes abound, and white grapes join a pear and cherry fruitiness as it reaches room temperature. Strange Brett notes are very much a part of the profile and add an odd earthy note. Not barnyard as in the aroma, but difficult to describe from sampling just one bottle. Honey drenched green apples appear briefly toward the close, but the finish is ultimately dry, lemony, and oaky. Wow! This is as complex a profile as I've encountered.
Drinkability is limited only by price and availability. Amazing complexity as each sip brings forth a different note. An exceptional sipping experience here. Don't drink this one any colder than cellar temperature. Room temperature brings out all sorts of interesting flavors and aromas. Very playful on the nose and palate. Incredibly well constructed.

09-11-2005 17:37:40 | More by merlin48
IceAce

4.65/5  rDev +4%

375 ml bottle labeled as 'Batch 001'

Unleashing the cork from the cage and liberating it from the bottle sends forth a cascade of wild aromas including a mouth-watering sourness from Bret. The nose is farmhouse saison all the way!

From a cheek tingling entry to a chardonnay finish as crisp as the first cold autumn night, this beer is complex and seemingly changes 'moods' as it warms.

While chilled, it is subdued...yet vibrant. As it warms, the midtaste dances on the rear of the tongue with a myriad of funky treasures. The mouthfeel is a palate-pleasing contrast between spikey carbonation and velvety yeast strains.

Spectacular!

09-11-2005 06:11:59 | More by IceAce
Troyone

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Was suprised to have found this at Whole Foods right next to a bottle of Damnation and an Eisbock (Aventinus), Prior 8 (St. Bernardus), and "Pete's" Tribute (B. R.) was not far away on the same shelf.

Pours a hazy apple juice color with a blond hue, an off white frothy head, some lacing, and evident carb action.

Ahh, a very crisp sour dough and cheesy malt smell with a pine and citrus hops aroma.

Moderately sweet, bitter, and acetic cheesy malt taste and a grassy, spruce, grapefruit, and lemon/lime hops flavor.

Medium bodied, slightly syrupy texture, soft and kind of fizzy carbonation, and a smooth pleasantly astringent and maybe slightly chalky finish.

An excellent balanced beer some what like a Lambic, chewy, smooth, and has a long lasting crisp grapefruit aftertaste. Note: the bottle states 7.25% abv. and was empty before I could finish the review.

09-06-2005 02:41:52 | More by Troyone
OldSock

District of Columbia

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance and Presentation – 12.7 oz caged and corked bottle. Labeled batch #1. White head with good retention and lacing. The color is a light golden yellow.

Smell – Fruity cherries, oak and definitely some sourness. As the beer warms the alcohol pokes through just a bit in addition to floral hints. Unique certainly.

Taste – Smooth oakiness at the front, slightly sour and dry in the back. The grapey wine flavor shows through in the aftertaste. Nicely balanced, the sourness is less than expected from a beer made with wild yeast.

Mouthfeel – Smooth with medium carbonation and a medium body.

Drinkability and Notes – A really interesting beer, but not one that I am overly in love with. The wine like character makes this slow, but enjoyable to drink. Glad I picked it up when I saw it, but not sure if I would get another at the steep price.

09-05-2005 01:05:30 | More by OldSock
egajdzis

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

RBSG 2005... Poured a hazy orange gold color with a small, white head that left spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma of cherries, brett, chardonnay grapes, and faint diactyl. Taste of oak, strawberries, tart grapes, while finishing nice and acidic. Damn fine brew!

08-29-2005 02:43:22 | More by egajdzis
GCBrewingCo

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

The beer poured into the chalice clear pale golden with a white frothy head which rose tall and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was slightly acidic with a grapeskin/seed aromatic found in many lambics. Some fruity and earthy character melded with oak was most notable and in the forefront. A slight spice and a low citrus were also present.

The flavor was light with an oak flavor and vanilla when the beer first contacted the palate. The oak flavor was light and lasting with a citric and acidity that assisted with drying out the beer. The flavor was very complex with a nice lemony citrus and light fruitiness coupled with a slight spice and vanilla and light peper. The complexity of the flavor was interesting and well done.

The finish was dry and relatively benign with only a light oak, vanilla and citrus that drifted away in the finality of the aftertaste. The body was just below medium and creamy due to the carbonation level. An extremely interesting beer that definitely falls into the category of American Wild Ale and stands apart from the crowd.

12 ounce corked and bailed bottle, Batch 001, $9.29 at Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA.

08-28-2005 21:33:56 | More by GCBrewingCo