2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,462 | Reviews: 940 | Show All Ratings:
David1975

Are you kidding? Are you calling this beer? Taste like champagne mixed with white wine with
bitter taste. It took me forever to finish drinking it. If you like nice gold or dark lager stay away from this "beer". It is hard to understand that so many people on Beer Advocate website like it.

04-14-2013 20:24:02 | More by David1975
dfernandez77

1.93/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma:
Bright and tart, slightly metallic; lemongrass and peaches, with notes of saddle leather, vanilla, fresh cut cedar, and wet hay. Reasonable promise here.

Appearance:
Very clear light gold, with a slight warmth. Pours with a light fine bubbled head that dissipates quickly leaving light lace. Appealing.

Flavor:
Dominated by a metallic sourness of a single focus. Lacking in complexity. Moderated by a warm fuzzy moldy summer fruit (peach like) funk. Finishes slightly astringent and papery. Completely fails to deliver on what small promise there was in the aroma and appearance.

Mouthfeel:
A bit like diet soda, with a little slickness you might find in a light session ale with wheat. No redemption for the flavor.

Overall impression:
Perhaps I'm not the one to ask, because I've had many different lambic ales. Fruited, straight young and old, gueze. And I've had Rhodenbach and other Flemish red ales. That means I'll be bringing a higher standard to my evaluation than some others.

The Temptation is thin and one dimensional. It is very unsatisfying - especially considering the price. I've had Cantillon, Boon, Mort Subite, and Lindeman's that just blow the Temptation out of the box with great complexity and depth. I finished it because I couldn't bear throwing $10 down the drain.

If you asked me if I wanted another one of these - I would not be tempted.

11-20-2010 04:26:34 | More by dfernandez77
charlzm

Consumed Saturday, January 7, 2012 at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood, CA in a snifter.

Beer is a light golden color with a fine skin of white foam.

Aroma is nondescript with just a slight tart note.

Flavor is all sourness. Tastes like white grape juice mixed with a small amount of white vinegar. Winced all the way through this one. Try as I may, I get nothing but that one note. No bitterness, no malt, no sweetness, no wood, just white grapes and sourness.

Unremarkable mouthfeel.

Dislike.

01-14-2012 18:30:16 | More by charlzm
WCBCFrank

2.05/5  rDev -54.1%

Russian River's Temptation Blonde Ale pours off-yellow in a goblet or Chardonnay glass. There is a "whack in the head" lack of subtlety in the oak Chardonnay notes throughout the beer - sour apples, lots of oak, yeasty but not overwhelming. Well made, but beware of oak.

Personally: For my taste buds Russian River's Blonde Ale in oak barrels doesn't work...maybe my taste buds will grow to like it....

08-31-2009 16:01:08 | More by WCBCFrank
travolta

2.6/5  rDev -41.8%

Appearance: A hazy straw color. A little cloudy. The lacing is minimal but defined. Head retention is thin.

Nose: Crisp chardonnay with hints of lemon, citrus, melon, mineral, and alcohol.

Taste: Very crisp on the mouth. Very bitter, a crisp yeasty taste throughout. Very oaky, lots of citrus, bitter.

Notes: Great concept, great presentation, execution was disappointing. Vinnie, bring back some Blind Pig brews through Russian River!

03-21-2007 02:07:47 | More by travolta
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -39.6%

On tap at Falling Rock:

Well, I like RR beers and the Temptation is a nice beer. However, while it produces a nice looking brew, and it's not horrible or bad, it's simply just a sour beer.
The taste has a touch of green pear to it, but for the most part this is only sour. Nothing complex, and I"m glad I had this on tap instead of paying the 24 bucks for a bottle.
Aroma is sour, with bits of clove and green apple. That's as far as it goes, though. Aged? sure doesn't come out in the aroma or taste.
A solid sour, but nothing special. I would think it's not worth the bottle price.

08-16-2009 06:53:01 | More by Mebuzzard
MVassar

2.73/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm a tad reluctant to submit my review since I'm clearly in the minority here. I've tried this beer twice, and had consistent notes each time.

Slightly cloudy, light gold color. Minimal head, which doesn’t last long. Looks (and behaves) like a glass of Martinelli’s cider. Scant lacing.

Smells of Martinelli’s, too. Lots of crisp apple scent, which is very pleasant. Not much else.

Would be hard pressed to identify this as beer. Tastes like a sour apple cider, with little depth. Tart apple, hints of sour cherry, and a touch of grapey Chardonnay flavors. Raw flavors. Unimpressive.

Very carbonated, (unpleasantly fizzy,) with an acidic finish. Clean texture, but a little difficult to get down.

Clearly, this isn't my style. Not one I'll be sipping again.

12-18-2006 01:53:15 | More by MVassar
Murchmac

2.88/5  rDev -35.6%

Drank this with a wine friend of mine who really enjoyed Supplication and Consecration. I have been expanding into sours more and more and thought I was ready for this.

Pours like cloudy urine almost, water, golden champagne look to it.

Lemon, sour, wood in the nose,

Taste was of sour apples, cidery for me. Lemony I guess.

neither my friend or myself enjoyed this beer. That being said I can see how others really like this, my sour palate isnt there yet, ill check back next year.

12-22-2010 23:31:11 | More by Murchmac
ibbjamin

3.23/5  rDev -27.7%

Paid $12.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Poured into a wine glass with a few pours. This is Batch 003 according to the bottle.

A very fizzy huge head from a soft pour but not sure of the carbonation levels at first glance. Nearly opaque from the cloudiness. This is a golden orange color reminiscent of a wheat/APA cross. The head retains at about a quarter inch and the lacing is thick, fizzy and slowly receding.

Smells very strong and yeasty. Carbonation detected in the nose. Hints of alcohol. Slightly spicy with earthy undertones. Hops somewhat evident, mainly of a perfumy/herbal variety. A warming sensation envelopes my head when getting a good whiff of this one - quite odd. I haven't figured if the aroma is pleasant to me, but I give it an A+ for originality - I've never smelled anything quite like it before.

Taste is so much different than the smell, it is incredible. First sip tells me - no this is terrible. It slowly gets better, but I'm still not sold on it I think. Again, like the smell, A+ for originality, but this one just doesn't trigger the pleasure part of my brain. Very funky yeast taste with some spiciness that was detected in the nose.

Highly carbonated and fizzy in the mouth. Light to medium bodied.

If you are looking for something that is drinkable and VERY different, this is your ticket. An experimental brew that is certainly worth trying and I commend the folks at Russian River for taking their precious time and energy to brew this one. I keep sipping it and am not sure if I like it - this one is confusing to me on all fronts - its misteriousness is intruguing.

07-24-2008 02:05:53 | More by ibbjamin
Naerhu

Japan

3.35/5  rDev -25.1%

A - Hazy dark yellow, pure white head.
S - Slightly sour and slightly guezey chardonnay aromas
T - Extremely dry, quite bitter for the queze style. Lambicy, but none of the punishing sourness or any of the harshness.
M - Smooth and small carbonation. Delightful.
D - Interesting and tastey, but not refreshing.

Confirming my suspision that BAs are generally the finest people you will ever meet, I met with DonneBaby this evening, and had quite a good time. Thank you for bringing this beer all the way to Japan.

08-07-2005 15:48:41 | More by Naerhu
DogFood11

3.4/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I aged this for almost a year after purchase on a reccomendation from the beer manager at High times near newport beach. Popped the cork on a special occasion served in a small tulip.

Golden with Orange hue around the edges. Head and lacing are lacking.

First gulp reminded me of a chardonay. Big grape, sour, bitter, and some sweetness to finish. Some oak, wooded, earthy interior but mostly this brew reminded me of a fine chardonay with more carbonation and earthy tones to it.

I really think this should be aged a long long time. I aged it but it didn't settle down yet. Give this one a few years. For now its a glorified wine.

11-06-2005 17:14:58 | More by DogFood11
squaremile

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -23.3%

On tap at Belmont Station in Portland. Pour a true gold, a bit of a fizzy head, and smells like a Pinot. Light mouthfeel, carb dances in the mouth a bit. Taste has a nice sour punch (like sour candy) and some funk and earthy notes, but I'm stuck on a chalky flavor that compromised the drinkability. Maybe it needs more time, maybe it's me.

10-18-2009 07:23:00 | More by squaremile
hoppymeal

3.53/5  rDev -21%

Light gold to straw in color and cloudy with a fairly effervescent white head that fades back quickly. Aroma is of tart green apples and honey, some floral and perfumy sweetness. Taste is a nice lemon tartness with a slight oaky dryness. Light in body with a dry finish that tingles in the back of the throat. An interesting beer, I am still experimenting with the sour beers and am still unsure how much i enjoy them, but I'll keep trying every so often. I did enjoy both the flavor and the dryness from the wood though.

09-11-2006 02:36:27 | More by hoppymeal
ChillMike

Alabama

3.53/5  rDev -21%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a very active bubbly white head that recedes quite quickly and leaves only a trace of lacing.
S: Smells more of wine or cider than it does beer. Very floral smelling, along with sugary malts and a mix of spices.
T: Not exactly what I was expecting, very much like a white wine. It starts out with a bit of a sugary malt flavor, then pulls an optimus prime and completely transforms into another beast. As the bottle asks, "Is it beer or is it wine?" I think that's the problem it doesn't really ever make up it's mind. It's not bad but it's not really my thing.
MF: Very active on the tongue like a champaign, very carbonated but I think it's appropriate for this "style".
D: I think this is where this one suffers,the most, it is too much like a wine, and something that you really have to be in the mood for. Lastly it's a one and done not only because of the style but at $8.99 for 375ml it's pretty pricey. I'm glad I tried it and it'd definitely a different offering from a great brewery but I suppose it's just not my "glass o beer"

01-14-2007 07:26:25 | More by ChillMike
AleWatcher

3.53/5  rDev -21%

Got this as an extra from Imthatguy83. Thanks a lot man!

Batch 5.

Split with my wife on a cold, snowy, dark Sunday evening. I in my Lost Abbey Sinner's club glass and she in her Ithaca tulip glass... Hers ends up looking slightly better-- nicer retention.

A deep, slightly hazy, golden blonde with a soapy 1 finger head of loose, large, fizzy, off-white bubbles-- minimal spotty lacing. This isn't bad at all for the style-- but nothing really jumps out at me as being amazing...

Flowery notes arise and begin the bouquet... A champagne like zest plays nicely with soft white grapeskins, light hay, and oaky notes. Very pleasant aroma... Of course I love the tart acidic quality as well. The taste starts out light and sweet with big floral notes-- then it dries out a bit with done nice barnyard and hay notes... A crisp tartness is nice, but I think this will open up and become really impressive with some time in the cellar.

The body seems a tad overcarbonated-- which makes it feel thin, almost a bit like seltzer water... But a champagne quality is present as well.

This is not the best wild... But it isn't bad either-- the aging potential of this is something that interests me quite a bit. It is tasty enough to be enjoyed, but complex enough to age... I will update this review when I have an aged bottle.

12-06-2010 04:22:55 | More by AleWatcher
brystmar

3.53/5  rDev -21%

Pours a light golden color with almost zero head or lace. It's a sour: whaddya expect? Sour fruit, funky Brett yeast, oak barrels in the nose.

Tastes of mildly sour fruit and Bretty yeast, but little else. Much more bland than its RR peers and quite disappointing overall. Makes me appreciate Consecration even more.

10-16-2011 12:01:44 | More by brystmar
tjthresh

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Batch 002. Bottle shared by MI2CA. Pours clear straw yellow with some nice white head. The nose comes off as tangy sour cream with a bit of fruit. The flavor is sort of yogurt-ish. I get some white wine character as well. Light body with sprite carbonation and a bone dry finish. Pretty good. stuff. Thanks for sharing Ted.

02-11-2009 13:26:43 | More by tjthresh
jpmclaug

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from bottle into my Lindeman's flute.

A - Clear, yellow body with a big white head on top.

S - Bretty funky aroma. Not especially pungent but you can certainly smell it.

T - Lightly sour taste but not much. A bit of brett but not much there. Light grape notes with a bit of oak. Real smooth and not nearly as sour as I was expecting

M - light bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D - Easily drinkable. Not nearly as sour as I was expecting and hoping for. A nice flavor but it just doesn't blow me away. I can go to the store and easily find several other sours that I would prefer over this one. I think I will revisit my other bottles at least a year in the future and hope they have developed nicely.

10-02-2010 22:15:26 | More by jpmclaug
tgbljb

3.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured a clear golden color with massive with head. Great retention.
Smell is of tart fruit with distinct wine notes present.
Taste is wine meets beer, with a firm maltiness blended with wine flavors.
Leaves a somewhat tart taste in the mouth.
An OK beer. Did not live up to my expectations (or the price I paid for it)

07-15-2007 21:24:03 | More by tgbljb
Halcyondays

3.65/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12.7 oz. bottle, Batch 003

A: Pours a golden yellow, with a voluminous white head, with thick, sticky laicng and good retention.

S: Earthy brett jumps out at first, then lemongrass, honeysuckle flowers, and light sugar.

T: Big flavours of sour lemon juice hit first, white grape juice in there as well, but it is much more secondary. The dry brett comes in in the aftertaste giving a raw funk, but it has a certain lightness about it. The acidity is there all the time, but I feel it can take over the flavour profile at times and be too harsh.

M: Quite tart, and bone dry, and has a lingering acidity on the palate. Fairly light-bodied, and has a creaminess in all of the carbonation.

D: In the end a tasty wild ale, but not up there with Supplication, which I think is one of the best beers I've ever had, moderately complex, I'll buy it again next year and delve through it some more.

04-21-2008 04:03:45 | More by Halcyondays
ccrida

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my Russian River "TION" snifter, carefully off the of the yeast, which I'm saving for a wild ale I'm brewing right now. Temptation is cloudy gold with an huge, fluffy white head with nice rocky last that leaves massive chunks of lace.

Smell is a on the sweeter side, lemons and a bit floral. Nice pithy dryness too, really reminds me of a saison, especially as it warms, really nice.

Taste is on the softer side, the chardonnay definitely comes through, a nice clean malty sweetness and some fruity Belgian esters. Not much sourness or even barnyard funk though. I just had a Cascade The Vine, their muscat grape barrel aged sour, and wanted to compare them, but they're really night and day. Tempation is much softer, basically just a wine barrel aged BPA. Not really sour at all, more wine notes too. Good though, but I wanted more funk.

Mouthfeel is a bit too tannic for me, some drying alcohol, very chardonnay like there, save for the soft, creamy carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good, a nice beer, but a bit of a disappointment in regards to my mood and expectations. I wanted a sour, and this one is really just a wine barrel blonde. But good for that for sure. And the price was stupid high, which was the final nail...

05-02-2009 05:02:40 | More by ccrida
far333

Connecticut

3.65/5  rDev -18.3%

Many thanks to Barleywinefiend for sharing this one. Served in a tulip glass.

Slightly hazed but clear straw yellow color with a bright white fluffy head that settles out slowly and leaves swirls of lace up the sides of the glass.

Aroma of green apple, kiwi, a bit musty, some mild yeastiness. Flavor is initially tart, some yeastiness rolls in, followed by white grape and some woody notes, morphing to cinnamon and ginger, ripe pear, and a subtle nutmeg linger.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, a bit puckery. Average drinkability for me as this one seems more like a specialty beer and not a quaffer.

12-01-2010 12:17:44 | More by far333
CuriousMonk

3.65/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from bottle (05X1F) into snifter glass. Pours golden with a fluffy white head that leaves a ton of sticky lacing behind. Nose is funky, sour, tart, and fruity. Not as "wild" as the Supplication or Consecration. Tastes fruity and tart/sour with a nice oaky finish. Light mouthfeel. A dry, champagne-like, crispy finish. Lots of nice fizzy carbonation. A nice drinkable wild. Even more so the the Supplication and Consecration, because it's a little less "wild" and a little more "tame".

02-28-2011 21:01:34 | More by CuriousMonk
JDV

3.68/5  rDev -17.7%

Rerate -
Gigantic 3 Liter bottle shared at tasting. Huge thanks for the chance to enjoy such a fantastic beer and so much of it! Pours a nice glowing orange color with a lasting foamy and bubly white head. Smell is slightly oak, some bret, and fresh dry citrus rind. Taste was mild, a slightly citrusy quality and very oaky with some mild sourness. Quick finish, and incredibly drinkable, I thought. Thanks again!!

04-06-2008 00:39:03 | More by JDV
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.68/5  rDev -17.7%

Acquired from mikesgroove courtesy of the I Want That IV BIF, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 375ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of yeast along with light malts, tart fruit and some hops, plus the typical scent of oak barrel-aging.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front and on top of that escalates into a sharp bite, with flavors of yeast, lemon, green apples and some spice that lingers in the finish. There's a decent hops presence that brings some balance. The malt character is pretty thin. The after-taste is sour and slightly bitter.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and very dry finish.

D: Flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship and work that went into this beer and it's a good one to pick if you like the intense sourness, but it's not really my kind of beer.

07-10-2008 02:59:47 | More by TheManiacalOne