Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Wants: 1,551
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros

Jules11788, Oct 26, 2012

CasanovaCummins, Mar 23, 2013

Gatordaddy, Nov 18, 2011

SirChugsAlot, Jul 17, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -20.9%

Got this as an extra from Imthatguy83. Thanks a lot man!

Batch 5.

Split with my wife on a cold, snowy, dark Sunday evening. I in my Lost Abbey Sinner's club glass and she in her Ithaca tulip glass... Hers ends up looking slightly better-- nicer retention.

A deep, slightly hazy, golden blonde with a soapy 1 finger head of loose, large, fizzy, off-white bubbles-- minimal spotty lacing. This isn't bad at all for the style-- but nothing really jumps out at me as being amazing...

Flowery notes arise and begin the bouquet... A champagne like zest plays nicely with soft white grapeskins, light hay, and oaky notes. Very pleasant aroma... Of course I love the tart acidic quality as well. The taste starts out light and sweet with big floral notes-- then it dries out a bit with done nice barnyard and hay notes... A crisp tartness is nice, but I think this will open up and become really impressive with some time in the cellar.

The body seems a tad overcarbonated-- which makes it feel thin, almost a bit like seltzer water... But a champagne quality is present as well.

This is not the best wild... But it isn't bad either-- the aging potential of this is something that interests me quite a bit. It is tasty enough to be enjoyed, but complex enough to age... I will update this review when I have an aged bottle.

AleWatcher, Dec 06, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a light golden color with almost zero head or lace. It's a sour: whaddya expect? Sour fruit, funky Brett yeast, oak barrels in the nose.

Tastes of mildly sour fruit and Bretty yeast, but little else. Much more bland than its RR peers and quite disappointing overall. Makes me appreciate Consecration even more.

brystmar, Oct 16, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a very active bubbly white head that recedes quite quickly and leaves only a trace of lacing.
S: Smells more of wine or cider than it does beer. Very floral smelling, along with sugary malts and a mix of spices.
T: Not exactly what I was expecting, very much like a white wine. It starts out with a bit of a sugary malt flavor, then pulls an optimus prime and completely transforms into another beast. As the bottle asks, "Is it beer or is it wine?" I think that's the problem it doesn't really ever make up it's mind. It's not bad but it's not really my thing.
MF: Very active on the tongue like a champaign, very carbonated but I think it's appropriate for this "style".
D: I think this is where this one suffers,the most, it is too much like a wine, and something that you really have to be in the mood for. Lastly it's a one and done not only because of the style but at $8.99 for 375ml it's pretty pricey. I'm glad I tried it and it'd definitely a different offering from a great brewery but I suppose it's just not my "glass o beer"

ChillMike, Jan 14, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -20.9%

Light gold to straw in color and cloudy with a fairly effervescent white head that fades back quickly. Aroma is of tart green apples and honey, some floral and perfumy sweetness. Taste is a nice lemon tartness with a slight oaky dryness. Light in body with a dry finish that tingles in the back of the throat. An interesting beer, I am still experimenting with the sour beers and am still unsure how much i enjoy them, but I'll keep trying every so often. I did enjoy both the flavor and the dryness from the wood though.

hoppymeal, Sep 11, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -19.7%

Batch 002. Bottle shared by MI2CA. Pours clear straw yellow with some nice white head. The nose comes off as tangy sour cream with a bit of fruit. The flavor is sort of yogurt-ish. I get some white wine character as well. Light body with sprite carbonation and a bone dry finish. Pretty good. stuff. Thanks for sharing Ted.

tjthresh, Feb 11, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from bottle into my Lindeman's flute.

A - Clear, yellow body with a big white head on top.

S - Bretty funky aroma. Not especially pungent but you can certainly smell it.

T - Lightly sour taste but not much. A bit of brett but not much there. Light grape notes with a bit of oak. Real smooth and not nearly as sour as I was expecting

M - light bodied with a good amount of carbonation

D - Easily drinkable. Not nearly as sour as I was expecting and hoping for. A nice flavor but it just doesn't blow me away. I can go to the store and easily find several other sours that I would prefer over this one. I think I will revisit my other bottles at least a year in the future and hope they have developed nicely.

jpmclaug, Oct 02, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured a clear golden color with massive with head. Great retention.
Smell is of tart fruit with distinct wine notes present.
Taste is wine meets beer, with a firm maltiness blended with wine flavors.
Leaves a somewhat tart taste in the mouth.
An OK beer. Did not live up to my expectations (or the price I paid for it)

tgbljb, Jul 15, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -18.2%

Many thanks to Barleywinefiend for sharing this one. Served in a tulip glass.

Slightly hazed but clear straw yellow color with a bright white fluffy head that settles out slowly and leaves swirls of lace up the sides of the glass.

Aroma of green apple, kiwi, a bit musty, some mild yeastiness. Flavor is initially tart, some yeastiness rolls in, followed by white grape and some woody notes, morphing to cinnamon and ginger, ripe pear, and a subtle nutmeg linger.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, a bit puckery. Average drinkability for me as this one seems more like a specialty beer and not a quaffer.

far333, Dec 01, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from bottle (05X1F) into snifter glass. Pours golden with a fluffy white head that leaves a ton of sticky lacing behind. Nose is funky, sour, tart, and fruity. Not as "wild" as the Supplication or Consecration. Tastes fruity and tart/sour with a nice oaky finish. Light mouthfeel. A dry, champagne-like, crispy finish. Lots of nice fizzy carbonation. A nice drinkable wild. Even more so the the Supplication and Consecration, because it's a little less "wild" and a little more "tame".

CuriousMonk, Feb 28, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured into my Russian River "TION" snifter, carefully off the of the yeast, which I'm saving for a wild ale I'm brewing right now. Temptation is cloudy gold with an huge, fluffy white head with nice rocky last that leaves massive chunks of lace.

Smell is a on the sweeter side, lemons and a bit floral. Nice pithy dryness too, really reminds me of a saison, especially as it warms, really nice.

Taste is on the softer side, the chardonnay definitely comes through, a nice clean malty sweetness and some fruity Belgian esters. Not much sourness or even barnyard funk though. I just had a Cascade The Vine, their muscat grape barrel aged sour, and wanted to compare them, but they're really night and day. Tempation is much softer, basically just a wine barrel aged BPA. Not really sour at all, more wine notes too. Good though, but I wanted more funk.

Mouthfeel is a bit too tannic for me, some drying alcohol, very chardonnay like there, save for the soft, creamy carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good, a nice beer, but a bit of a disappointment in regards to my mood and expectations. I wanted a sour, and this one is really just a wine barrel blonde. But good for that for sure. And the price was stupid high, which was the final nail...

ccrida, May 02, 2009

12.7 oz. bottle, Batch 003

A: Pours a golden yellow, with a voluminous white head, with thick, sticky laicng and good retention.

S: Earthy brett jumps out at first, then lemongrass, honeysuckle flowers, and light sugar.

T: Big flavours of sour lemon juice hit first, white grape juice in there as well, but it is much more secondary. The dry brett comes in in the aftertaste giving a raw funk, but it has a certain lightness about it. The acidity is there all the time, but I feel it can take over the flavour profile at times and be too harsh.

M: Quite tart, and bone dry, and has a lingering acidity on the palate. Fairly light-bodied, and has a creaminess in all of the carbonation.

D: In the end a tasty wild ale, but not up there with Supplication, which I think is one of the best beers I've ever had, moderately complex, I'll buy it again next year and delve through it some more.

Halcyondays, Apr 21, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -17.5%

A: Pours a straw color. Trace amounts of head. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S: Sawdust/barnyard aromas

T: Barnyard funk with a good deal of sweetness. A little bit lower on the sour/tart spectrum.

M: Lots of carbonation. Very light feel

O: An enjoyable sour. Probably a good entry level/beginners sour due to the less pronounced sour flavors. Probably would due well with a couple years of age on it.

gregshead, May 11, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -17.5%

Acquired from mikesgroove courtesy of the I Want That IV BIF, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 375ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of yeast along with light malts, tart fruit and some hops, plus the typical scent of oak barrel-aging.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front and on top of that escalates into a sharp bite, with flavors of yeast, lemon, green apples and some spice that lingers in the finish. There's a decent hops presence that brings some balance. The malt character is pretty thin. The after-taste is sour and slightly bitter.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and very dry finish.

D: Flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship and work that went into this beer and it's a good one to pick if you like the intense sourness, but it's not really my kind of beer.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 10, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -17.5%

This is the first American Wild Ale I've ever had, so with no basis for comparison I will be as fair as possible. Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow with a thin head that has staying power. Rests comfortably and consistently throughout the drink. There is a thin tornado-like strip of carbonation rising directly in the middle of the glass. Impressive.

Smell: The aroma does absolutely no justice to the beer. A bitter, dare I say, dry urine tinged smell.

Taste: As expected, a burst of chardonnay but not overwhelmingly or bitingly so. Sits on the tongue before lifting throughout the mouth. A touch sour and unusual (perhaps briny) to the untrained tongue but settles in nicely after a few sips rather than keeping you guessing. However it does bite the back jaw with the sourness the deeper you get into it.

Feel: Nice smooth finish with near perfect carbonation.

Very interesting. My quest to finish the top 100 opens up yet another door that I will be walking back through.

jimilayne, Oct 10, 2012

Rerate -
Gigantic 3 Liter bottle shared at tasting. Huge thanks for the chance to enjoy such a fantastic beer and so much of it! Pours a nice glowing orange color with a lasting foamy and bubly white head. Smell is slightly oak, some bret, and fresh dry citrus rind. Taste was mild, a slightly citrusy quality and very oaky with some mild sourness. Quick finish, and incredibly drinkable, I thought. Thanks again!!

JDV, Apr 06, 2008