1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,452 | Reviews: 940 | Show All Ratings:
Axnjxn

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

375ml corked and caged bottle into a tulip. Batch 006

Pours a hazy yellow with a half inch white head. Some fizziness from the bottom to the top, with a huge amount of lasting bubbles. On the nose i get a strong vinegary scent very reminiscent of a geueze. The taste is also very similar to the traditional gueuze style - tart white grapes with a very lasting sour on this one. As my favorite style is a gueuze, im really digging this. Exceptional mouthfeel, like all RR beers ive had thus far, makes this beer extremely easy to drink. Though i find myself savoring it as the flavor is superb. Finishes dry. Very dry in fact.

Overall another excellent beer from Russian River. As close to a gueuze that youre going to get in America.

08-04-2013 23:29:34 | More by Axnjxn
AltBock

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice big 750ml bottle that was corked and caged. Right on the front of the bottle is a large sickle with the name of the beer in big yellow letters along the handle. Above the sickle is an end of a barrel with how long the beer was aged and the types of yeast circling the barrel. To the right of the sickle is the Government warning, proper glassware, the definition of Temptation, a lengthy description of the beer, and a batch number. My bottle was from batch 004X5. According to RR's website, this beer was brewed on 5/25/08 and bottled on 6/5/09.

I wish I had a RR Snifter or Tulip to pour this beer into. I guess my Great Lakes Snifter will have to do. From behind the cork came a lightly hazy bright golden apricot colored beer that had a tiny touch of amber to it. I really did like the color of this beer. The head of foam was almost as impressive as the color. Up rose a 1/2 an inch pearl white head of foam. This head of foam had slow retention. It took its slow ass time to recede. That's fine because I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. When all said and done, it left behind a fat white string of rings, an island of foam, and a fair amount of blots and streaks of lace. This beer was eye candy!

The aroma was lightly sour and tart. It was one of those pleasantly sour aromas. It wasn't a make your heard turn strong sour aroma. Up front in this sour aroma was the green grapes and oak. This must be the French Oak shining through. Quickly following that combo was some barnyard funk and a whiff of spices. When the second aroma combo had their fun, the beer then finishes up with green apples, a touch of lemon, and a subtle pinch of candi sugar. There was a lot going on in the aroma. This beer had a pleasant level of both barnyard funk and oak. Not one of those controlled this aroma.

Pucker up tastebuds! This beer was sour and tart. Like the aroma, it wasn't overly sour and tart. The sour and tartness just wanted to let you know it's there without punching your tastebuds to death. There was also some barnyard funk in this beer as well. Like everything else in this beer, that was kept down to acceptable levels. They didn't allow that to punch your tastebuds as well. Intermingled with all the sour, tartness, and barnyard funk was the green grapes, green apples, French Oak, orange peel, lemons, and candi sugar. This beer didn't allow the oak to get out of control either. An extremely well done barrel aged Blonde Ale.

This was a light to medium bodied beer that had more than its fair share of carbonation and a very nice sour and tart aftertaste. This aftertaste had the taste of green grapes, green apples, farmyard funk, French Oak, lemon, and candi sugar. After all the sour and tartness leaves, in comes the candi sugar. The candi sugar leaves behind a sugary and Pixie Stick like aftertaste. It was very interesting.

This beer aged very well. It aged so well that I wish I had another bottle in my cellar. This was one of those beers that had a lot going on in it, but nothing really controlled this beer. Every flavor and aroma had the same amount of time in the spotlight. I would love another bottle of this!

08-02-2013 10:20:35 | More by AltBock
elNopalero

Temptation Batch 8

From the bottle.

This pours looking like a Belgian wit—it’s a cloudy hazy white-golden in color with great foaming. The aroma has this wonderful, big tartness that dominates. I get some sour cherries coming across and an intense acidity. The flavor fills the mouth with that same tartness before finishing dry and sparkly. Yes, this sparkles on the palate. There, I said it. Wow. Yum. More, please.

Review 900!

07-22-2013 07:46:01 | More by elNopalero
metter98

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is hazy goldenrod yellow in color. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of chardonnay wine barrels are present in nose along with notes of sourness from the brett.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the sourness is a little stronger and there are also hints of oak.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a very nice balance between flavors of chardonnay and sourness that makes it both interesting and quite easy to drink.

Note: Batch 07-27-12

06-07-2013 23:06:06 | More by metter98
dbrauneis

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Batch 072712

A: Pours a hazy pale golden yellow in color with light amounts of gentle visible carbonation at the surface of the beer and some apricot highlights. The beer has a quarter to half finger tall pillowy/soapy bright white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of pale malts with stronger aromas of brett, barnyard funk, tartness/sourness, chardonnay, and oak.

T: Upfront there are light to moderate flavors of pale malts with some moderate to strong amounts of tartness/sourness. There is a strong presence of brett without it dominating or being overbearing and a nice light amount of funkiness. There are moderate flavors of chardonnay and oak towards the finish.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with light amounts of acidic prickliness and some light to moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: Extremely easy to drink and interesting due to the great balance of flavors/aromas with just enough complexity. Love the use of brett in this beer because it enhances and does not dominate.

06-07-2013 23:03:50 | More by dbrauneis
SHODriver

bottle dated 7/27/12
A: poured into a Russian River 'tion' glass to a clear yellow with a small and dense white head that fades to a small pool in the middle and a large collar around the edge of the glass
S: smells of oak, funk and sourness. definitely some bretty goodness on the nose with this one
T: big sourness up front with some nice fruity notes, a bit of oak, slight funk and barnyardy flavor with some more oak. swallow is a nice sour fruitiness that slowly fades with a bit more oak
M: medium in the mouth with soft and ample carb that is just slightly prickly and is quite dry on the finish
O: absolutely phenomenal beer. Words can't express how perfect it is for an American Wild Ale. It's honestly a benchmark beer for a sour blonde

06-01-2013 03:24:55 | More by SHODriver
Shumania

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

375 ounce bottle, batch number 05X1E, poured into a snifter

a: hazy yellow/orange with minimal head, some carbonation

s: tart lemon, oak, funky yeast

t: similar to the smell. lemon, wine grapes, good tartness, oak, and more funk from the brett

m: extremely dry

Really nice play from the oak barrels. Good mix of fruit, tart, and oak!

05-18-2013 21:32:57 | More by Shumania
GuzzLah

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours an opaque gold with an ephemeral head. A touch of lace. No bubbles.

S - pink bubblegum, oak, lacto/pedio sourness, leathery Brett, mild white grape, faint coconut.

T - is like the aroma minus the bubblegum with a pleasant peppery finish. Really nice balance of flavors. Certainly a sour, but not an extreme sour. Elegant without being wimpy. Not overly acidic for the style.

M - my first 5 rating for mouthfeel. Light-medium body. Slightly oily. Creamy. Effervescent. Dry. Tart. Absolutely delicious with a long aftertaste that does exceptionally naughty things to my tongue.

O - God damn. This beer is absolutely Fexcellent. (That's effing excellent for the phonetically challenged). I rarely get this excited over a beer, but this one is outstanding for the style from the perspective of a person who is a big fan of the style.

05-18-2013 00:19:45 | More by GuzzLah
vinny21bal

Perfect beer. Not a flaw to it. Citrus, funk, lower alcohol. You get the taste of the barrel as well as the fruit. Perfect sourness. Not to strong like the Bruery and not to light like Allagash. I really think this is one of the best beers around. I think of a better beer. I have tried all of the other Russian Rivers and this one seems to be my favorite.

05-09-2013 18:44:07 | More by vinny21bal
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Batch 05X1F. Poured from a 375 ml cork n caged bottle into a La Chouffe tulip.

A- pours a bright golden color with a 2 finger white head. Trails and clumps of lacing remain on the glass.

S- honey, big cherry aroma, vinegar, straw, earthy

T- pale malts, straw, light cherry, vinegar, lemon peel, earthy spices, with a lingering light bitterness at the finish.

M- light body and medium carbonation. Very mild acidity and carbonation for a sour which is nice.

O- 5/10 sourness. another good sour from RR. Still take supplication over this but would place it above consecration.

04-30-2013 18:50:23 | More by kawilliams81
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

I have to thank Jeff Bull for this beer. He actually sent us the final three Russian River beers on our list. We sort of lucked into the other one, finding the Pliny the Elder at a small bottle shop when we were in San Diego for Thanksgiving. I wasn't impressed with that, for an IPA, and sat down with a bottle of Blind Pig last night. Also, thanks to Jeff. It was a good trade, and I am excited to drink all of these "-ation" beers. Oh, and speaking of the Blind Pig… cool story behind the name/meaning. The beer smells WAY better than it tastes, but is still better than Pliny in my opinion.

Today we are drinking the Temptation, our first in this line of beers. I was excited until I read, "Brettanomyces". I HATE that yeast strain. I mean, HATE with a passion. Every beer I have had that uses that wild yeast has tastes the same. But, words like, "pineapple", and, "citrus" are helping me stay positive about this bottle. If nothing else, it's a beer from a good brewing company with a lot of history. Time to drink. Cheers!

In the Glass: If I didn't know any better, I would think this was a wheat beer. An unfiltered wheat beer, but a wheat beer nonetheless. It pours a thin pale yellow in the glass, and has a nice white head on top. The head is more impressive than I originally would have guessed. I will say, as I was pouring this, I thought I could smell some nice wine notes… but I don't want to get excited, as I am sure the yeast will overpower and spoil this beer for me.

Nose: Whoa, did NOT expect that. It smells like a sour. I mean, more sour than a typical sour. I am getting, toward the finish, some drying notes that are coming from the barrel that this beer was aged in. Considering the cost and the story behind this entire series, I am stoked to see what this tastes like. Man… what a great aroma. The bros on BeerAdvocate rates this beer 100… and that has got to be rare from them. They don't ever give a beer that high of a rating.

Flavor: Oh. My. Goodness. That is SO sour. I mean, lip sucking face sucking sour. I did NOT see that coming at all. But I am glad that it did, as I am a big fan of that style. Considering I hate the Brettanomyces yeast strain, I expected this to be pale in comparison. I am not getting much of the wine flavors that I expected to find, but I am sure they are hidden behind the sheer sourness this bottle is presenting. I wasn't a big fan of Russian River until this beer… and that sip has me wanting to take a trip to California!

Mouthfeel: There are a few bubbles dancing across my tongue as I swallow, but not too many. It's not enough to really notice because of how simply sour this beer is. I am curious to see what Sheryl thinks… I am not sure she likes that style. I hope, because this is amazing! As you finish, a drying flavor would be nice, and the sour flavors are quickly gone… but the mouthfeel is, quite honestly, pretty boring. I am focused on the flavor.

Aftertaste: The sour sticks around for a few minutes, but not as long as I would like. That might actually be a typical experience with sour beers… I haven't had a sour beer that the aftertaste has lasted more than a few second. People are always asking me, "What is your favorite sour beer?" That is tough for me, because there aren't a lot of these out there and the style is not popular among domestic brewing companies. But if I had to pick, from this moment forward, I will be picking this one!

Why can't Russian River ship their beers to me? I want more of this! We have two more bottles from the "-ation" series in the fridge. Can't wait to see what those taste like. I now see why the bros rated this so high. Bravo, Russian River. Cheers!

04-18-2013 21:30:48 | More by rickyleepotts
David1975

Are you kidding? Are you calling this beer? Taste like champagne mixed with white wine with
bitter taste. It took me forever to finish drinking it. If you like nice gold or dark lager stay away from this "beer". It is hard to understand that so many people on Beer Advocate website like it.

04-14-2013 20:24:02 | More by David1975
gcamparone

Rhode Island

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a flute (had nothing else). Acquired in a trade from chalupa_batman, thanks man!

A- Pours a clear, pale straw, carbonated body with a white head that rises quickly and reduces to 2" of foam - honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and BMC. I don't judge a book by it's cover, though. Edit: The last pour was more hazy and had particles of yeast in it - I just didn't want to waste any of this beer!

S- I'm getting some belgian style/hefe characteristics here - funky banana and clove, along with acidic lemon, tart sour apple, and some woodiness.

T- Tart lemon juice, sour green apple, white grapes upfront, transitions into a slight oak and musty leather notes which are extremely pleasant. Aftertaste is slightly spicy with unripe bananas. Nearly perfect.

M- Crisp, light, refreshing, smooth, easy to drink.

If this beer wasn't so hard for me to acquire I'd drink it all the time. This is up there with one of my favorite beers - it's so beautifully crafted that it's simply complex, if that makes any sense. Complex in a way that there are so many notes at work, and simple in a way that they all work together perfectly to create an extremely drinkable sour. My favorite of the RR sours (I have not tried beatification though). Must try.

03-20-2013 02:03:40 | More by gcamparone
mnphish

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Shared with yamar68! Poured into a wine glass.
Smells of sour green apples, champagne, tart fruit, funk, super yeasty.
Tastes like the cristal of beer. Sour green apples, white grapes, lemons, barnyard brett funk, chardonnay. Very tart.
Mouthfeel is light, bubbly, smooth, nicely carbonated. I'm having a hard time putting this down.
The best sour beer i've ever had. I'm already trying to find another bottle!

03-10-2013 04:59:27 | More by mnphish
tectactoe

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this one with me. Pours a golden-yellow color, translucent with lots of light shining through the edges. The foamy white head lasts for a bit as it settles and leaves some big, wet lacing.

The aroma is thoroughly acidic and tart. Sour apple skins, pears, light vinegar, faint lactic aromas. There's a mild woodiness behind all of the tart fruits, but there's no denying that this is a sour bomb. I was a bit shocked to find that there was quite a big vinous character in the aroma, too, until I read that this was aged in chardonnay barrel. Makes sense now. Very tingly on the nostrils, this one's gonna be sour - no doubt.

And sure enough, it is. Temptation is very sour, front and center. We're talking puckering sour, not just "mildly tart". Lemons are huge, as are apples and pears. Wow, this is just so, so, so, SO tart. Each sip feels more tart than the last. It hits the edges and corners of your mouth and gets your face scrunched up in no time. Not as sour as Beatification, still pretty damn tart. Light vinous notes, as well as a mild oak flavor on the tail, but the beer has a mostly sweet finish once that godly tartness finally dies down. Medium bodied, heavily carbonated.

I've come to expect a lot from Russian River, and rightfully so. Temptation delivers. It's a sour motherfucker, that's for sure. If you like sours and you haven't had this yet - get some. Now.

03-08-2013 23:39:18 | More by tectactoe
MarioM

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%

330 ml bottle poured into RR Steamed glass

A: Pale yellow, very transparent and crystal clear. Very foamy white head, steam like with a mix of tiny to medium sized bubbles. Good head retention and lacing. High carbonation with large amount of bubbles being created from the dimple on the bottom of the glass. Very unique looking beer but very attractive.

S: Very tart on the nose. Sourness is very apparent and comes across almost wine like, "Is it beer, or is it wine?" (Quote from the back of the bottle). Also, a bit floral and a tad bit sweet but dry.

T: Tartness comes first, sourness is nicely tamed. A bit bitter in the middle and finishes sweet with some bitterness as well. Very balanced and extremely drinkable. Very good example of this style and good intro beer for someone unfamiliar with wilds. Obviously a great intro beer for a wine drinker.

M: Bitterness lingers along with a slight sweetness and dry.

O: Much more drinkable and not as sour as I was expecting. Not a bad thing at all, actually very enjoyable and refreshing. Finished dry and reminds me much of wine, but yes, it is still a beer. Great friendly American wild and would gladly have someone try this in hopes of converting them to the sour side.

03-04-2013 05:39:11 | More by MarioM
lordofstarside

Nevada

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz to a cordial glass

Pours a pale gold with a finger of foam with some pretty good retention for a wild. Little transparency with the yeast floating around. Medium carbonation coats the glass with some decent lacing. Smell of white wine, sour apple, cherry, and citrus. Some funk blends with a sweet malt and a touch of alcohol. Taste follows the nose well, sour apple and cherry with some chardonnay. A mild malt base mixes with some alcohol and citrus. Pretty solid feel, crisp with medium sourness, not much face twisting as the rest of the Russian River sour line. Good sticky finish. Over all another quality sour from Russian River, however probably my least favorite of the line so far. Can't wait to see how this ages

02-23-2013 06:55:28 | More by lordofstarside
Flounder57

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

400th review. This beer has been waiting 16 months in my beer cabinet to be drank.

375 ml bottle poured into a large Duvel snifter.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy golden yellow with slight clarity and slow moving bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Fruity, oak, vanilla, funky orders, musty, and some spiciness too.

Taste: This shit tastes great. It's so frickin funky and chardonnay delicious. What a nice blend of Brett and charfonnay flavors.

Mouthfeel: buttery smooth, low to medium carbonation, crisp, refreshing, light to medium bodied, and easy to drink.

Overall: Awesome wild ale. It doesn't get any better. Great beer for my 400th review.

02-22-2013 03:19:38 | More by Flounder57
jvillefan

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden yellow with a white lace head.

S: Sour apples and sour grapes are in the front. Pleasant esters from the souring yeast and bacteria.

T: Sour apples with subtle sour grapes and oak. There is a very subtle sweet caramel flavor from the malts present as well.

M: Nice body and carbonation.

O: Great sour. One of the better ones out there.

02-16-2013 18:16:58 | More by jvillefan
Pinknuggets

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle to Ommegang flute

A: Golden yellow to light honey colored with a very small white head that goes away quickly. It looks very clean but it is only semi translucent which I assume is due to time in the barrels

S: you can definitely smell the chard barrels the brett is there as well but it is not as funky as I have seen it before which in another respect makes the smell pretty balanced its good but not great.

T: The first thing that comes to mind is the following the nose with taste of Chard and oak there is a sour and tart flavor that sticks around for awhile and all throughout the finish. The flavor is nice and light as well as being quite delicious and I usually don't like wine. The brett is also present but in the background and adds a nice crisp taste.

M: there is a nice crisp bite to it is smooth, oily and goes down really easy I had to stoop myself from drinking it too fast. The brett and light carbonation adds a champagne line feel that adds to chard flavor and really combines well in this beer.

O: I really liked this beer its not super sour or funky at all but it is really tasty and goes down really easy. The mouthfeel works perfectly with the taste and although the smell is lacking everything else makes up for it. I would highly recommend this beer get it if you can.

02-10-2013 21:55:49 | More by Pinknuggets
RaulMondesi

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap, straight from tha source - Russian River.

Like a perfect storm that Mark Walburn cannot cure.

Raul is at the source, tha joint, Russian River, and hot damn I got the freshies!
Smooth, sexi, sour... It clean. So clean like OJ just clean the Bronco.

Raul like it.

Yep!

02-10-2013 09:05:01 | More by RaulMondesi
Immortale25

3.81/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. Label says 072712.

A- Pours a hazy gold color with a 3/4 inch white head that retains well before fizzling away to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a thin sheet of surface foam. Solid lacing. Wispy sediment is found suspended in the body.

S- Lemony, funky wild yeast aroma with a hint of barnyard must. Crisp but fumy.

T- Pow! Massive sourness of lactic acid assaults the palate leaving only traces of citrus fruit notes. Has that strange rubbery aftertaste that I haven't, as of yet, been able to determine what the cause of it is but it shows up in a lot of sours. Drinkable, but with small sips few and far between.

M- Incredibly dry and twangy with a tartness that doesn't let up. Medium-high carbonation and a lightish body.

O- It's a kick in the teeth right off the bat but, once you get into it, it's a pretty tasty sour if you like that sort of thing.

02-10-2013 00:34:46 | More by Immortale25
MDDMD

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-clear golden color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-sour grapes, yeasty funk, oak, floral

T-tart grapes, yeasty funk, oak, Chardonnay barrels add but are so well-incorporated as to be unable to taste this as a separate distinct aspect of this beer, has a nice dry finish

F-medium body with nice tight carbonation, crisp and tart mouthfeel

O-a delicious beer, so beautifully blended and well-balanced

02-05-2013 00:47:39 | More by MDDMD
VelvetExtract

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-Pours an illuminated toasted straw color. Body is quite hazy. Puffy bleached head sits atop the body. Looks nearly perfect. Long, attention-grabbing lacing stains hug the glass and dry up.

S-The aroma is Brett at its best. Funky, tart and earthen. Pretty floral notes play quite nicely with the barrel notes. Woody, infected Chardonnay with a light, crisp malty underbelly. Fresh, juicy apples, pears and stone fruits. The buzzing funk encompasses all of the other aromatic components.

T-The flavor is blatantly exquisite. The funky, barny, yeasty tartness rushes over the palate. The sips following the first deliver all the notes from the nose but with much more robustness. Warmth is friendly to this ale. The honeysuckle and dandelion stem flavors add depth. The oak is sneaky but noticeable after a few sips... I may even be getting some oak-imparted vanilla flavors. Tart fruits of course.

M-Perfect body; relatively light and highly carbonated. The first sip seemingly explodes all over my mouth; the bubbles roll over every inch.

O/D-Another royal brew by Russian River. Too complex to ever fully describe. Too drinkable to ever fully feel satisfied. A glass of this at the brewpub was truly inspiring.

02-04-2013 21:03:19 | More by VelvetExtract
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Review from 2/3/13: 750ml Caged and Corked bottle, batch 004x3 (brewed 5/25/2008, bottled 6/2/2009).

A: Pours light orange with nearly two fingers of a bubbly white head that fairly quickly dissipates to a frothy film. Just a little hazy, but mostly clear.

S: As soon as I popped the cork the sourness practically jumped out of the bottle. White wine, moderate fruitiness akin to peaches and green apples, lots of sourness and funk.

T: As I had hoped, the nearly 4 years of aging turned this quite sour and funky. Semi-sweet chardonnay with mild fruits, a lot of oak. Slightest bit lactic. Has a good bit of that funky-cheese and musty basement quality. Tart bite up front with a mouth-puckering sourness lingering through the finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. Fairly dry finish. I'd like a little bit more carbonation, slightly lighter body, and a dryer finish. Nitpicks though, it's still darned good.

O: One of the finest examples of it's style and the extended aging made it even better. Near perfection.

02-04-2013 15:02:29 | More by Satchboogie