Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Wants: 1,564
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros

Bottle shared by alexsdad06.

Poured cloudy yellow color with a large frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Medium to heavy citrus and yeast aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and lively carbonation and average particles. Medium to heavy sweet & sour flavor with a medium to heavy bittersweet finish of moderate to long duration.

I shared this with freinds and enjoyed the beer.

tmoneyba, Oct 20, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

From the 004 batch.

A - Cloudy yellow with a touch of amber, nice bubbly head with quick dissipation leaving no lacing. Pretty nice looking immediately off the pour.

S - Grapes, apricot, maybe a little bit of peach, mild yeast. Weak nose is actually kind of difficult to smell. Smells good, but needs some more body.

T - Wow, blows me away. Amazingly complex, you feel like this is going to get sweet and never does. Goes tart insteat in the middle, mild oaky finish reminds you of the barrel influence. Nice sour grape taste, very little yeast taste. This is outstanding.

M - Low carbonation, light body, nice dry finish. Just about perfect for this bear.

D - Super tastey and easy to drink. Can polish off the whole bottle and then pop open a second no problem. Love this beer.

AgentZero, Oct 19, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -23.1%

On tap at Belmont Station in Portland. Pour a true gold, a bit of a fizzy head, and smells like a Pinot. Light mouthfeel, carb dances in the mouth a bit. Taste has a nice sour punch (like sour candy) and some funk and earthy notes, but I'm stuck on a chalky flavor that compromised the drinkability. Maybe it needs more time, maybe it's me.

squaremile, Oct 18, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

pours a not quite transparent super-light gold, with an excessively fizzy bright white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a good sized island of bubbles stranded in the middle of an over-sized wine glass. The center continues to bubble aggressively, which makes the look of this beer only slightly more interesting than what it very closely resembles: bud light. The smell is primarily of chardonnay mixed with brett and perhaps a little citrus fruit (maybe orange?). it would score higher, but the aroma strangely resembles a hefeweizen, which disturbs me.

wow. a superb effort. this beer might convert me into a chardonnay drinker... but probably not. super sweet and super sour. the fruit and the wine perfectly compliment each other, and a very subtle oakiness sneaks in to contribute to the flavor blitz that is Temptation. very dry on the tongue, which gives off a wine-like bitter-sweet after-taste and again emphasizes the oak barrel aging, while the palate remains moist, almost slippery with goodness that begs for another taste.

at first i didn't like it, but then i grew to love it. Im speaking, of course, of the excessive carbonation that allows this beer to dance lightly and gracefully along the palate, massaging your mouth with airy pleasantness. the drinkability is, well, decently amazing.

jdklks, Oct 18, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice. Batch 004.

The beer pours a lightly carbonated, cloudy straw gold color. The head is about 1 finer high, decent retention, weak lacing just kind of runny.

The aroma right off the bottle is sour funk horse blanket, but once the intial nose is gone it is a very light sensation that's tough to pick up anything on. There is a light grape smell, light notes of flowers, hops.

The taste is amazing. It starts off light and sweet but then right away you get a stront tart bite and a hard sour finish.

Mouthfeel is surprinsgly strong with a great drinakability.

jrallen34, Oct 18, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

375mL bottle batch 003
Opens with a loud pop and pours hazy light gold with minimal head but good lacing.
Aroma has lemon, pear, apples, sour cherries, light barnyard funk and a hint of earthiness.
Taste is very tart lemons and orange with a perfect balance between sweet, sour, and funk. It is so very complex and I wish I could pinpoint all the amazing flavors I'm tasting.
Mouthfeel is wonderful and like a fine Champagne with flavors bursting on every surface of the mouth.
Overall this is another homerun barrel aged beer by Russian River that gets better and better with age.

bmanning, Oct 12, 2009

This is why I have a chip on my shoulder about Russian River's Beers: They're so f'ing perfect!

I try to be a critic and find faults, but what faults are there here? It's a bit pricey? That's the only possibility I can think of. It's beautiful to look at. There's as much head stuck to the side of my Duvel tulip as there is beer left in the glass. It smells fantastic. Taste is heavenly. It's got all the funky smell of an Oud Beersel Gueuze with more kick in the palate. Mouthfeel could not be better. Holy crap, I'm going to give this a five across the board.

Rock on, guys. You know your stuff.

But you're making everyone else look bad by your awesomeness. Try not to become another New York Yankees, ya know?

DaveFL1976, Oct 07, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

A big thanks goes to augustgarage for this one. I was on pins and needles waiting for the UPS man. Since then I've been eyeing this one in my fridge for a week. Part of me wanted to open it the second it arrived, the other part of me never wanted to open it. Gave in to temptation at the advice of my roommate. Thanks, buddy. Cork did NOT want to come out of this one.. took a good minute. No matter.

A- 750ml, poured carefully into wide snifter. I let the bottle breathe for 20 minutes or so, as my fridge is a tad cold. Pours a wonderful pale yellow, with a thin, thin head. Looks delightful, the coloration is superbly blonde. Beer looks pleasantly viscous, shape-shifting in the snifter.

S- Intense. Is this a wine? The chardonnay barrels come through in full force. Definite funk, a earthy woodiness, and more complex fruit than I can pick out in one sniff. Prob. one of the top 3 complex bouquets of any beer I've had.

T- For the power of the nose, this beer is remarkably subdued. Amazingly tasty, though. Tart, drying like a fine wine. A mind-bogglingly good combination of gentle sweetness, carbonation, and funk make for the holy trinity of beers. Seriously... I want a gallon of this stuff, ASAP.

I taste a tart apple, mild lemon, and a mead-like honey sweetness. There's a tonic water quality to this one, as well, which plays wonderfully off the fruit sweetness. Not to be outdone, the woody earthiness and the Brett finish leaving you scratching your head. So many flavors that just fit perfectly. I cannot fathom the trial and error that went into producing this beer, but it was so worth it. I had high hopes for this one... and they were smashed, shattered, and decimated.

Note- I thought this couldn't get any better. Second pour, I got all the yeast and whatnot. I was proven wrong... the funk is stronger, tastier, and fan-fuckin'-tastic.

M- Wonderful. Crisp, tart, sour, sweet, mildly acidic, and perfectly carbonated. This one dances across your tongue, begging for another sip. And another. And another. Before you know it, you're wondering where you can get some more. I'd drink this all day everyday if I was a millionaire. As it is, it was an amazing treat.

D- Through the roof. We'll see how I feel tomorrow (stories of gastro issues have made the rounds), but I would buy a boatload of this in an instant if I had the chance. A smile all the way down, one of the best... by far. I would give this perfect 5's... appearance just wasn't earth shattering. But where it counts? This beer excels. Trust me. The best-tasting beer I've ever had.

They often say don't believe the hype. I agree.... this one is far beyond words of praise.

A *BIG* thank you to augustgarage... You made my day, week, month, and year with this one.

ShogoKawada, Oct 06, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

The taste has a nice complexity but does back off a bit versus the nose. Still a great flavor though. The malt comes out a bit more with a sweetness. But this is replaced quickly by a tart sourness that lingers into the finish. The wine and oak notes come out more versus the nose. The chardonnay notes are more distinct and has a light tannic feel on it. This helps bring out the oak notes though. The horsey, spicy notes back off but the brett is still notiTempting. Very tempting. Batch 2. Pours a very slight hazy, lemony yellow color with a golden hue throughout. A soft fizzy white head with limited retention and not much lacing. Some sticking to the glass, light viscous.

The nose is very complex. A nice sourness that comes out with a crazy array of fruit and barnyard notes. Some brett, horse blanket and a light butyric note that adds complexity. The fruit is subtle but apricot and peaches mixed with a light lemon peel aroma. Maybe a touch of acetobacter but I could be wrong. The wood character is light but as the beer warms it comes out more. A more oaky flavor with just a hint of vanilla. Some minor wine notes but limited. Some minor yeast notes, light acetaldehyde/green apples as it warms.ceable. The fruit notes come out as it warms and linger with a light sweetness on the back end. More of a lemon and apricot mix. But adds a nice complexity to the finish.

The body is light to moderate. The sour notes are nice and not over the top. Would have liked a bit drier, but just nit picking here. The carbonation is good and supports the beer. Overall a very enjoyable sour. Love the complexity of this one.

Oxymoron, Oct 05, 2009

This is not a bad beer.

The appearance is golden. Golden nectar with a sexy head. The head has great sticky bubbles that leave a thick layer of lacing all down the sides of this glass. The color is so interesting because it has a sun gold color, but cannot be seen through. Just faint shadows can be seen meaning the haze is thick. Not very watered down either, a great body.

The smell is amazing. When I popped the bottle the cork flew across the room and bubbles came pouring out. Then, the whole room smelt like a sour champagne. Chardonnay can be smelt as well as oak. I have never really pinned down the distinctive smell of oak until right now. Amazing. Lemon grass as well.

The taste is mind boggling. This might be the gateway for me into sours. I have tried and liked Wild Ales and Sours before but this is on a league of its own. Tastes like a lemon champagne. Then mixed with a heavy blonde ale. The alcoholic taste that comes with a good white wine is present. Sour and a bit tart. The sourness is not overwhelming, it is just right. It is also not the first flavor, it hit me most towards the end.

The mouthfeel is great, just superb. So smooth and crisp. It just foams up in your mouth like champagne, perfect body as well. Not watery at all, just perfect. The lemon and citrus flavors just grab your taste buds. My mouth never stopped watering. Great oily finish, kills everything in your mouth. Nothing tastes the same afterwards.

The drinkability is sad. Why sad? It is sad because I only have one bottle of it and I am drinking it right now. I am going to trade for this. I need more. With some Wilds that I have had, they are great for a good long discussion with someone. You can sip on them and enjoy them over a period of time. This beer I cannot keep away from my mouth. Once I swallowed the first sip of Temptation I could not keep it away from my lips. Amazing. I was actually going into this beer thinking that it was just going to be mediocre. A blonde ale aged in oak? I hate blonde ales, and although Consecration was great, it was not like this. This is a whole new playing field.

Bravo.

J

EDIT: It is almost a week later and I have not stopped thinking about this beer. This is the first beer I am going to give a full 5 rating to. This beer to me is absolute perfection. There is nothing that I would change to it, there is nothing that is wrong with it. Everything about it makes me extremely happy. So I am changing the 4.5 in appearance to a 5. The solid golden color was amazing and the lacing around the glass was superb. Cannot get this beer out of my mind.

Jmoore50, Oct 03, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

taste- crisp, astringent, mouth-watering, sour, palete cleanser, oak, chardonnay

color- pale gold

clarity- clear with a slight bit of suspended sediment

smell- banana, spice, citrus, barnyard

body- light-medium weight mouthfeel, long sour finish, most of the weight is at the front of the palate

appearance- nice candy white thick head when first poured then less head retention with active carbonation and decent lace

overall impression- hold on tight, this beer makes you stand up and recognize. this beer crosses over into the sour ale realm, a real departure from what most beer drinkers are used to, very unique style done very well, rr continues to deliver the hits. alcohol is pretty well masked

bottle- 750mL

glassware- tulip

temp. served- 49.6 degrees

song- box of rain (2/21/73)

NorCalYeti, Oct 02, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at Falling Rock.

Cloudy gold with solid white lacing.

Nose is delicate, light barnyard, lemon.

Perfectly sour and geuze-like. zesty lemon,light horseblanket, acidic citrus.

Light medium body with a dry, astringent finish.

This is a sessionable sour. I'm suprised how much of this they had.

brownbeer, Sep 28, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

I had the opportunity to drink a vertical of batch 1, 2 and 3. I found batch 2 to be the best of the three and this review is of that batch.

A-Clear, deep golden yellow with a thin bright white head that left spotty lace.

S-Batch 1 was intensely sour on the nose. The intesity of this sourness reduced as you moved to batch 2 and then 3. Batch 2 seemed to be the "just right" amount of sour/tartness. Nice, sharp and crisp bite with a touch of wood.

T-Quick, fleeting (but noticeable) buttery oak flavour from the Chardonnay barrels. After this quickly passes the sourness kicks in. Not over the top, especially in batch 2. Very nice with a sharp biting crispness.

M-Light bodied with a dry finish and a pleasant lingering sourness.

D-I think my tongue would shrivel if I drank too much of this impressive beverage---->but a glass or two, sure thing! A very tasty and well made brew.

Deuane, Sep 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a bottle into a white birch glass.

The beer pours a hazy golden/burnt orange color with a very thick, frothy white head. As the head fades the lacing is foamy and sticky on the sides of the glass. The beer is highly carbonated, a little gushing after I popped it.

The smell is earthy, fresh cut hops and a light graham cracker malt. There is a lot of oak in the nose, as well as a slight alcohol presence. As the beer warms the smell gets noticeably sweeter and the graham cracker really comes to the forefront.

The taste is a lot like a mild geuze... Very sour up front, with lemony citrus, fresh cut grass and a lot of earthy smells. The earthy funkiness and barrel flavors play off each other very well and the finish is crisp and dry, very reminiscent of a chardonnay. The barrel flavors partner with the sour and citrus from the beer and match each other note for note.

The beer is carbonated perfectly for the style and the mouthfeel is crisp and dry, leaving me craving more after each sip. The alcohol is more present than I expected, leaving a nice warming in the stomach.

rpstevens, Sep 28, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Temptation pours a slightly hazed, golden color. It's topped by a bright white head that fades to a thin layer leaving thick, frothy lace. The aroma has all of the elements of a godd sour beer. There's a good amount of acidity, as well as bright citric notes. The characteristic "hop sack" aroma from the Brettanomyces used in fermentation is present, as well as an earthy, woody undertone.

Temptation is very gueuze-like. There's a coarse, grassy quality to the malts upfront, but these characters are quickly overshadowed by an escalating, citric and acidic sourness that's present through the finish. Earthy Brett flavors and a mild bitterness round things up in the finish. Temptation is crisply carbonated and light-bodied with an intense dryness in the finish.

Temptation is a very good beer. The sourness, Brett, and barrel-aging give it a distinclty Gueuze-like quality. It's mouth-puckeringly sour, and awesome.

EPICAC, Sep 27, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

A - murky wheat, near white thick head that stays for some time. Some sudsy lace.

S - Sour cherry, tart funk in the nose. Faint wood notes.

T - Wood more prevalent here. Wild sour liveliness with wood finish.

M - Medium bodied, lots of carb and the sour is balanced with the wood and malt.

D - Nice, but I wouldn't want more than a serving at one time.

srandycarter, Sep 26, 2009

What's to say - this is a gorgeous beer. It feels more like a mild cider, or even an acidic white wine.

Pours pale yellow with a slight head. Aroma is ciderish and sour. Flavor is a bit ciderish but like a slightly oaky Sauvignon blanc (if you can imagine such a strange thing). It is acidic, ciderish and dry. The mouthfeel is thin and clingy, with a sour bitterness.

Seanibus, Sep 24, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap at the brewery in August 2009.

A: Pours a cloudy pale amber color with a large white head of foam.

S: Lots of tarness and sourness here, with a little bit of the oak coming through.

T: Lots of sourness coming into some tartness and a little bit of citrus.

M: Quite tart, fairly full for the style. Good amount of carbonation.

D: Drinkable for the style, but not my favorite of Russian River's Belgian styles.

Thorpe429, Sep 24, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

Cheers to Solomon420 helping get this one! Review based on notes

Batch 004X4 pours an effervescent gold/pear color with 2 fingers of beige head. Stellar lacing & good head retention

S: Sourness & dirtyness, fades as this warms

T: Sourness, grassyness, & dryness up front. Some hints of honey breaks through with tartness & sourness as this warms, along with a bit of grapefruit, golden delicious apples & pears. Finishes dry tart & sour

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation & so dry tart & puckery

Drinks pretty darn easy, probably the easiest drinking sour I've had

russpowell, Sep 24, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: clear gold in color with a wispy head that remains as some surface bubbles. No lace develops.

Smell: woodiness and some funk are surprisingly pleasant on the nose.

Taste: big flavors here as biscuit, brett funkiness, oak, green grapes, and tart green apples are up front. There is a lingering chardonnay flavor that arrives late. Mild bitterness and some soft lemon citrus rounds it out. Hints of alcohol provide some warming.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp and very dry throughout. Long aftertaste as the funk and oak last a while.

Drinkability: this is a true slow sipping beer meant to be enjoyed over a long time period. It changes up as it warms, keeping it interesting.

Gavage, Sep 22, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

On-tap at the PB Taproom on a belgian sour night. It's a nice golden color with a very tiny head. It smells of green grapes and apples. Quite sour and tart but in a way that one can really get behind. The finish is a blend of sour and bitter notes from the yeast. Really very enjoyable and drinkable - ordered a second pint and would have had another except for the hefty $8/pint price tag. Glad to have gotten the opportunity to try this beer.

bobjonesSD, Sep 17, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

A - A cloudy light golden yellow/brown. The head is fluffy, white and moderately dense. While it does go down (slowly), a nice finger thickness retains. There is moderate lacing as well as pieces of the fluffy head are left clawing to the edge of the glass.

S - Tangy lemon zest combines with the smell of crushed white grapes, giving the beer a sweet/sour smell that I think will transition nicely into the flavor. This is undercut by some distinct fresh leather (hooray, brett.)

T - The tart lemony flavor really squeezes on the outsides of the tongue while fruit sweetness of grapes, pears, apples boil on the center and tip of the tongue. Underneath is some uncertain oak flavor, uncertain in that it is not the traditional oak wood flavor, and more wood a fence surrounding a farm that cows have been rubbing against kind of oak (again, hooray brett.) Some light bready malts serve as one of the few tame, traditional flavors, and serve as a subtle signal to remind you that this is, indeed, a beer.

M - The flavors coat the tongue quite well, covering every inch and straining every taste bud. Well carbonated to really make all of the flavors explode.

D - Flavorful, thirst quenching, light in the stomach and a moderate ABV. The perfect drinker.

schinebd, Sep 17, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. A white head forms and leaves some lace.
S: Wonderful Brett aromas. Funky barnyard, hay, grass, and some yeast. Very tart and sour, though it is never overwhelming. Lots of fruity aromas as well. Awesome.
T: Funky barnyard, hay, grass Brett flavors that follow the nose. Fruity flavors and dry biscuit. Again, very complex and awesome.
M/D: A light to medium body that is crisp dry and very refreshing. Though not watery at all. I can drink this all day. So easy and smooth to drink. I can never get enough of this.

I have had the pleasure of trying this several times now. I just love it, and highly recommend.

champ103, Sep 16, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Batch 004x5

A: Yellowish gold in color with lots of bubbles traveling up from the bottle of the glass. Not much head here but a fine layer sits on top providing almost leg like lacing.

S: The very fine smell of brett is present. There is a very nice essence of sweet and sour playing off of each other. Some oakiness and fruitiness also pervade.

T: This one hits all the taste buds on my tongue. The mix of sweet and sour is excellent and extremely enjoyable. Very much like a chardonnay with a very dry finish and and the taste of white grapes. There is also a bit of a peppery note as well.

M: Dry and tart. No booziness though.

D: Sometimes I find that sours are a bit difficult to drink more than a few ounces of but this one left me wanting more.

mikey711, Sep 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to brewdan for this one. Batch 3, 2009 vintage.

A: Slightly hazy yellow color with orange hues. A pretty big ivory-colored head leaves some lacings.

S: A nicely sharp smell full of character. Funky horse blanket and aged cheese. Lots of tart fruits (apples, pears, lemon) and general notes of berries. Notes of fermenting apples as well. Light hints of oak barrel and a nice touch of alcohol in the background. A very impressive smell.

T: The taste is semi-sweet at first, but then turns rather tart. The tartness isn't really mouth-wrecking, but feels genuine and robust. A wonderful combination of pleasant fruit aromas (green apples, gooseberries, lemon) and funky notes of barnyard and mud. A hint of wood. Nice bretty flavors. In the finish, there's a mild grassy bitterness, sweet and phenolic alcohol, a gentle leafy hop note and a dry tartness.

With the last poor (I let all the yeast go into the glass) the beer changes character a bit. The tartness is muted and notes of vanilla and nuts develop.

M: Light body with a refreshing cider-like carbonation.

D: A very good wild ale. This one could probably go head to head with some of the milder Belgian gueuzes. Very refreshing and enjoyable. Impressive.

ricke, Sep 13, 2009