Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Wants: 1,564
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012

Are you kidding? Are you calling this beer? Taste like champagne mixed with white wine with
bitter taste. It took me forever to finish drinking it. If you like nice gold or dark lager stay away from this "beer". It is hard to understand that so many people on Beer Advocate website like it.

David1975, Apr 14, 2013

1.25/5  rDev -72%

wattoclone, Jan 19, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma:
Bright and tart, slightly metallic; lemongrass and peaches, with notes of saddle leather, vanilla, fresh cut cedar, and wet hay. Reasonable promise here.

Appearance:
Very clear light gold, with a slight warmth. Pours with a light fine bubbled head that dissipates quickly leaving light lace. Appealing.

Flavor:
Dominated by a metallic sourness of a single focus. Lacking in complexity. Moderated by a warm fuzzy moldy summer fruit (peach like) funk. Finishes slightly astringent and papery. Completely fails to deliver on what small promise there was in the aroma and appearance.

Mouthfeel:
A bit like diet soda, with a little slickness you might find in a light session ale with wheat. No redemption for the flavor.

Overall impression:
Perhaps I'm not the one to ask, because I've had many different lambic ales. Fruited, straight young and old, gueze. And I've had Rhodenbach and other Flemish red ales. That means I'll be bringing a higher standard to my evaluation than some others.

The Temptation is thin and one dimensional. It is very unsatisfying - especially considering the price. I've had Cantillon, Boon, Mort Subite, and Lindeman's that just blow the Temptation out of the box with great complexity and depth. I finished it because I couldn't bear throwing $10 down the drain.

If you asked me if I wanted another one of these - I would not be tempted.

dfernandez77, Nov 20, 2010

Dduquette, Oct 23, 2013

Consumed Saturday, January 7, 2012 at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood, CA in a snifter.

Beer is a light golden color with a fine skin of white foam.

Aroma is nondescript with just a slight tart note.

Flavor is all sourness. Tastes like white grape juice mixed with a small amount of white vinegar. Winced all the way through this one. Try as I may, I get nothing but that one note. No bitterness, no malt, no sweetness, no wood, just white grapes and sourness.

Unremarkable mouthfeel.

Dislike.

charlzm, Jan 14, 2012

projhex, Nov 15, 2011

ricecracker420, Jan 23, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -54%

Russian River's Temptation Blonde Ale pours off-yellow in a goblet or Chardonnay glass. There is a "whack in the head" lack of subtlety in the oak Chardonnay notes throughout the beer - sour apples, lots of oak, yeasty but not overwhelming. Well made, but beware of oak.

Personally: For my taste buds Russian River's Blonde Ale in oak barrels doesn't work...maybe my taste buds will grow to like it....

WCBCFrank, Aug 31, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -43.9%

spamages, Dec 29, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -41.7%

Appearance: A hazy straw color. A little cloudy. The lacing is minimal but defined. Head retention is thin.

Nose: Crisp chardonnay with hints of lemon, citrus, melon, mineral, and alcohol.

Taste: Very crisp on the mouth. Very bitter, a crisp yeasty taste throughout. Very oaky, lots of citrus, bitter.

Notes: Great concept, great presentation, execution was disappointing. Vinnie, bring back some Blind Pig brews through Russian River!

travolta, Mar 21, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -39.5%

On tap at Falling Rock:

Well, I like RR beers and the Temptation is a nice beer. However, while it produces a nice looking brew, and it's not horrible or bad, it's simply just a sour beer.
The taste has a touch of green pear to it, but for the most part this is only sour. Nothing complex, and I"m glad I had this on tap instead of paying the 24 bucks for a bottle.
Aroma is sour, with bits of clove and green apple. That's as far as it goes, though. Aged? sure doesn't come out in the aroma or taste.
A solid sour, but nothing special. I would think it's not worth the bottle price.

Mebuzzard, Aug 16, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm a tad reluctant to submit my review since I'm clearly in the minority here. I've tried this beer twice, and had consistent notes each time.

Slightly cloudy, light gold color. Minimal head, which doesn’t last long. Looks (and behaves) like a glass of Martinelli’s cider. Scant lacing.

Smells of Martinelli’s, too. Lots of crisp apple scent, which is very pleasant. Not much else.

Would be hard pressed to identify this as beer. Tastes like a sour apple cider, with little depth. Tart apple, hints of sour cherry, and a touch of grapey Chardonnay flavors. Raw flavors. Unimpressive.

Very carbonated, (unpleasantly fizzy,) with an acidic finish. Clean texture, but a little difficult to get down.

Clearly, this isn't my style. Not one I'll be sipping again.

MVassar, Dec 18, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -38.3%

Wow! This is not what I consider beer. Like a super strong white wine or something. At $11 A bottle, it's priced like wine too. I'll stick to beer, thank you.

Hophazzard, Aug 28, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -38.3%

MaryW, Jun 26, 2014
2.76/5  rDev -38.1%

SF_Posse, Nov 13, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -35.4%

Drank this with a wine friend of mine who really enjoyed Supplication and Consecration. I have been expanding into sours more and more and thought I was ready for this.

Pours like cloudy urine almost, water, golden champagne look to it.

Lemon, sour, wood in the nose,

Taste was of sour apples, cidery for me. Lemony I guess.

neither my friend or myself enjoyed this beer. That being said I can see how others really like this, my sour palate isnt there yet, ill check back next year.

Murchmac, Dec 22, 2010