Red Brick Porter - Red Brick Brewing Company

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: aepb1 on 06-07-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Brick Porter Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

This is to me a really great porter. The first thing to talk about is the wonderful way it smells. Reminds me of some good BBQ cooking on the grill on a cool comfortable day. That alone makes me want to drink it. The color of this beer is nice. Its hardly transparent on its pour into a glass. Holding it up to the light it has a great ruddy ruby red color. The head was a nice deep cream color. The taste is just awesome with a hint of cherries and a satisfying wood note. I even get a hint of pecan. Georgia through and through I guess! The lacing on the glass was of large bubbly spots. The mouth feel is nice with a tingle of alcohol around my gums and teeth...that was actually quite plesant! The finish was smooth with no bite! A great beer to enjoy with your favorite meal and then a choice hand rolled cigar afterwards! Good Job ATL brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

I am not a porter fan to begin with, but Red Brick surprised me with this one. I tried it in a glass and out of the bottle (because I am lazy).

Appearance: Poured a dark brown color with a decent foam.

Smell: Picked up a hint of chocolate notes.

Taste: Was smooth and easy to drink for a porter.

Overall: I was very impressed with this beer, I wish it came in a 6 pack and not a 4 pack. But never the less, still a good beer.

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

Served from glass bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a dirty brown with minimal head and no real lacing.

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, and a certain sweetness. No hops.

Taste is very much in line with smell, with a refreshing and smooth roast malt and coffee flavor playing very nicely with a sweetness that finds it's way into the mix at the end of every drink.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin for me, more along the lines of a brown ale, but a great porter none-the-less... Plus you don't feel like you just drank a meal.

I wish it was a bit thicker with a more pronounced roast and chocolate taste, but this works very well for a nice session beer for me.

yay porter!

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

Enjoyed this beer today (June 2011) at the main brewery for their trivia night. Bought a glasses and four beer tickets and ended up spending 2 of my tickets on this beer it was so good.

A- Poured a very deep brown, almost cola colored with a great head that was about 2-3 fingers thick in the pint glass.

S- Strong smell of roasted coffee and a slight hint of what I would describe as burnt chocolate

T- As expected with the coffee smell, the initial taste is very strong with coffee. The nice dark chocolate taste comes next with a very smooth finish.

M- Rather thin, but enjoyable for my taste. Rather filling but still very drinkable again and again.

Overall a very good beer. I am a little biased since I am from Atlanta and for some reason local brews just taste better to me.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Dark brown or black with a two finger head. Great lacing. There was a smell of chocolate, dark fruit and malt. The taste was chocolate, caramel, dark fruit with a slight bitter finish which gave it balance. I really liked the taste. The mouthfeel is creamy thick, however not overdone. I could drink these on a regular basis. A very enjoyable porter.

4.39/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Lighter than I expected, Brown with light brown to dark red on the edges. From what you can see it looks well filtered. Tan head with some lacing to it.

Smell is really good. No shortage on the malt department here. Good portions of sweet fudgey chocolate and black coffee. Hints of a nutty sweetness as well, almost like almonds or glazed pecans.

Taste is equally excellent. Again with the sweet, fudge-like chocolate and dark roasted coffee, it just doesn't let up. A nice sweet roasty flavor. Some slight grain and there's a hop presence in the flavor profile, slightly earthy. A very good well rounded taste.

Mouthfeel is pretty good too. Lighter than I expected, silky smooth with a nice carbonation level. Sweet smokey feel with a snappy bitter finish, here's where you can detect the hop profile the most. Alcohol level higher than I expected at 7.7%, but I wouldn't have noticed in the taste or mouthfeel, well hidden.

This was a really really nice beer, I could totally drink it all year round. Thank you miamichael2 for a very nice extra in trade trade!

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Across the board, this is one of the most solid porters I've had, albeit not the most straightforward.

A: This beer is more black than my soul. Viscous, but not motor oil status. Nice taupe head with good retention and sticky lacing.

S: Smell is of cocoa and buttery richness with a slight hint of Maduro leaf.

T: Oatrageously smoky, rich and delicious. The chocolate flavor is more of an aromatic than an actual taste, but it has a nice impact nonetheless. The bitter hop melds with the chocolate; the result is a great balance of complementing and contrasting elements.

M: Silky and yet well-carbonated. Thick enough to carry the roasted character, effervescent enough to showcase a mildly bitter hop.

D: This is on-tap at the tavern down the street. Every time I go there, I try to order something else, but I always end up drinking a few of these. So it is eminently drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax, poured into a Unibroue tulip. Nice beige head, pinky thick, rests is laurels atop a black body...at least it appears black in low lighting. Aroma hints of chocolate, toasted malts, I suppose oatmeal and...coffee. Way more coffee than expected in a beer with several adjectives in its name and none of them being "coffee". Expected some coffee in a porter but way more than expected. The flavors all work together extremely well upon tasting, especially as this one warms up. The first signs of the weather changing in Jacksonville has put me in the mood for this beer and I'm feeling good about the decision to begin "porter season" with this really tasty treat.

4.29/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brownish black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is filled with dark roasted malts and chocolate along with some coffee. Very nice aroma!

T- The taste starts out with a nice smoothness and is quickly followed by a good amount of roasted malts and chocolate along with some bitter coffee flavors in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is in between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a solid brew that I really did enjoy. It is a beer that I would definitely purchase again. Recommended!

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottles received from RustyDiamond, much appreciated. This beer is dark brown color, opaque except for just a little light which sifts through, I guess strongly translucent with extremely low light transmission. Tan frothy foam that laces in stringy pieces onto the glass. The aroma is very nice, chocolate and roasted coffee beans, rich and promising. Luckily the taste delivers, dark chocolate with espresso, some roasted malt bitterness in the aftertaste. This is very good, among the most flavorful stouts I've had. The only potential ding is the mouthfeel, which is a tad light compared with the intense flavors, but this IS a porter and not a stout so I think it's about right. Highly reccomended.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

a: poured into the MUG nice hard pour at 45, good a nice 1 inch head, its dark coffee color a hint of things to come.

s: coffee, chocolate and malt and some honey backed with a trace of citrus hops.

t: nice, coffee front end as expected, toffee and chocolate back end, malt with the oatmeal grain makes it smooth as silk. no alchemy bite at all. really nice porter.

m: thick and rich like candy almost but its liquid bread/gold if your into this style.

D: yes please can I have another and I am glad I got 2 4 packs.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

a: nonic pint, deep chestnut colored ale with a nice layering of cream colored foam on the surface, nice retention

s: nose of full roasts, dark chocolate, creamy oatmeal, really nice porter aroma

m: smooth, moderate carbonation on a silky medium-full body

t: medium roasts with a strong current of dark chocolate underneath, low dark sugars, earthy hop flavor in the finish with a mild bitterness, french roast lingers, just a touch of sweet booze

d: easy, especially given the elevated abv

single from Bruisin' Ales, Asheville