Red Brick Porter - Red Brick Brewing Company

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: aepb1 on 06-07-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Brick Porter Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

This is to me a really great porter. The first thing to talk about is the wonderful way it smells. Reminds me of some good BBQ cooking on the grill on a cool comfortable day. That alone makes me want to drink it. The color of this beer is nice. Its hardly transparent on its pour into a glass. Holding it up to the light it has a great ruddy ruby red color. The head was a nice deep cream color. The taste is just awesome with a hint of cherries and a satisfying wood note. I even get a hint of pecan. Georgia through and through I guess! The lacing on the glass was of large bubbly spots. The mouth feel is nice with a tingle of alcohol around my gums and teeth...that was actually quite plesant! The finish was smooth with no bite! A great beer to enjoy with your favorite meal and then a choice hand rolled cigar afterwards! Good Job ATL brewery. (849 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

I am not a porter fan to begin with, but Red Brick surprised me with this one. I tried it in a glass and out of the bottle (because I am lazy).

Appearance: Poured a dark brown color with a decent foam.

Smell: Picked up a hint of chocolate notes.

Taste: Was smooth and easy to drink for a porter.

Overall: I was very impressed with this beer, I wish it came in a 6 pack and not a 4 pack. But never the less, still a good beer. (431 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

Served from glass bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a dirty brown with minimal head and no real lacing.

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, and a certain sweetness. No hops.

Taste is very much in line with smell, with a refreshing and smooth roast malt and coffee flavor playing very nicely with a sweetness that finds it's way into the mix at the end of every drink.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin for me, more along the lines of a brown ale, but a great porter none-the-less... Plus you don't feel like you just drank a meal.

I wish it was a bit thicker with a more pronounced roast and chocolate taste, but this works very well for a nice session beer for me.

yay porter! (670 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

Enjoyed this beer today (June 2011) at the main brewery for their trivia night. Bought a glasses and four beer tickets and ended up spending 2 of my tickets on this beer it was so good.

A- Poured a very deep brown, almost cola colored with a great head that was about 2-3 fingers thick in the pint glass.

S- Strong smell of roasted coffee and a slight hint of what I would describe as burnt chocolate

T- As expected with the coffee smell, the initial taste is very strong with coffee. The nice dark chocolate taste comes next with a very smooth finish.

M- Rather thin, but enjoyable for my taste. Rather filling but still very drinkable again and again.

Overall a very good beer. I am a little biased since I am from Atlanta and for some reason local brews just taste better to me. (786 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Dark brown or black with a two finger head. Great lacing. There was a smell of chocolate, dark fruit and malt. The taste was chocolate, caramel, dark fruit with a slight bitter finish which gave it balance. I really liked the taste. The mouthfeel is creamy thick, however not overdone. I could drink these on a regular basis. A very enjoyable porter. (350 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Lighter than I expected, Brown with light brown to dark red on the edges. From what you can see it looks well filtered. Tan head with some lacing to it.

Smell is really good. No shortage on the malt department here. Good portions of sweet fudgey chocolate and black coffee. Hints of a nutty sweetness as well, almost like almonds or glazed pecans.

Taste is equally excellent. Again with the sweet, fudge-like chocolate and dark roasted coffee, it just doesn't let up. A nice sweet roasty flavor. Some slight grain and there's a hop presence in the flavor profile, slightly earthy. A very good well rounded taste.

Mouthfeel is pretty good too. Lighter than I expected, silky smooth with a nice carbonation level. Sweet smokey feel with a snappy bitter finish, here's where you can detect the hop profile the most. Alcohol level higher than I expected at 7.7%, but I wouldn't have noticed in the taste or mouthfeel, well hidden.

This was a really really nice beer, I could totally drink it all year round. Thank you miamichael2 for a very nice extra in trade trade! (1,127 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Across the board, this is one of the most solid porters I've had, albeit not the most straightforward.

A: This beer is more black than my soul. Viscous, but not motor oil status. Nice taupe head with good retention and sticky lacing.

S: Smell is of cocoa and buttery richness with a slight hint of Maduro leaf.

T: Oatrageously smoky, rich and delicious. The chocolate flavor is more of an aromatic than an actual taste, but it has a nice impact nonetheless. The bitter hop melds with the chocolate; the result is a great balance of complementing and contrasting elements.

M: Silky and yet well-carbonated. Thick enough to carry the roasted character, effervescent enough to showcase a mildly bitter hop.

D: This is on-tap at the tavern down the street. Every time I go there, I try to order something else, but I always end up drinking a few of these. So it is eminently drinkable. (888 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax, poured into a Unibroue tulip. Nice beige head, pinky thick, rests is laurels atop a black body...at least it appears black in low lighting. Aroma hints of chocolate, toasted malts, I suppose oatmeal and...coffee. Way more coffee than expected in a beer with several adjectives in its name and none of them being "coffee". Expected some coffee in a porter but way more than expected. The flavors all work together extremely well upon tasting, especially as this one warms up. The first signs of the weather changing in Jacksonville has put me in the mood for this beer and I'm feeling good about the decision to begin "porter season" with this really tasty treat. (690 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark brownish black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is filled with dark roasted malts and chocolate along with some coffee. Very nice aroma!

T- The taste starts out with a nice smoothness and is quickly followed by a good amount of roasted malts and chocolate along with some bitter coffee flavors in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is in between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a solid brew that I really did enjoy. It is a beer that I would definitely purchase again. Recommended! (596 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottles received from RustyDiamond, much appreciated. This beer is dark brown color, opaque except for just a little light which sifts through, I guess strongly translucent with extremely low light transmission. Tan frothy foam that laces in stringy pieces onto the glass. The aroma is very nice, chocolate and roasted coffee beans, rich and promising. Luckily the taste delivers, dark chocolate with espresso, some roasted malt bitterness in the aftertaste. This is very good, among the most flavorful stouts I've had. The only potential ding is the mouthfeel, which is a tad light compared with the intense flavors, but this IS a porter and not a stout so I think it's about right. Highly reccomended. (703 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

a: poured into the MUG nice hard pour at 45, good a nice 1 inch head, its dark coffee color a hint of things to come.

s: coffee, chocolate and malt and some honey backed with a trace of citrus hops.

t: nice, coffee front end as expected, toffee and chocolate back end, malt with the oatmeal grain makes it smooth as silk. no alchemy bite at all. really nice porter.

m: thick and rich like candy almost but its liquid bread/gold if your into this style.

D: yes please can I have another and I am glad I got 2 4 packs. (520 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

a: nonic pint, deep chestnut colored ale with a nice layering of cream colored foam on the surface, nice retention

s: nose of full roasts, dark chocolate, creamy oatmeal, really nice porter aroma

m: smooth, moderate carbonation on a silky medium-full body

t: medium roasts with a strong current of dark chocolate underneath, low dark sugars, earthy hop flavor in the finish with a mild bitterness, french roast lingers, just a touch of sweet booze

d: easy, especially given the elevated abv

single from Bruisin' Ales, Asheville (532 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Big porter fan here. Poured from a bottle to a Sierra Nevada becker. A finger or two of creamy head formed then receded into a film leaving beautiful creamy lacing. The porter is so dark brown it looks black. Shining a bright light directly on the glass I can only see a little red on the edges.

Really smokey aroma with baking chocolate and coffee underneath. Tastes bitter and smokey on the front of my tongue. Leaves a bitter aftertaste that begs another sip/gulp. I don't care as much for sweet chocolate porters as I do those that lean towards bitter espresso, coffee, unsweetened chocolate and smoke. Red Brick Porter is really delivering a lot of what I want in a porter. The almost 8% ABV is completely hidden.

The mouth feel is medium with perfect carbonation. Not watery at all. This ale went down as easily as any beer I've had lately.

I can't believe a porter this good has been right under my nose all this time. I picked this up at Hop City down by Georgia Tech. The nice employee said it's one of Atlanta's best kept secrets and ABC just keeps getting better all the time. I paid $6.99 for a 4-pack so it's a great value too. I may have found my new favorite American porter. (1,193 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Got this in a recent trade,and didn't expect much for a simple porter.But the further I got,I thought to myself "I need to rate this bad boy"

I don't have all the notes,because they were in my head while I carefully grilled my mesquite chicken last Saturday.

I'd seek this out.Not "sour" like some stouts or porters I've had,not overly oily or viscous,just a great beer.

Try one if you can.Tell em Barry from beeradvocate told you to. (437 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The look of the pour is kind of a black coffee in a glass container. Dark but not toally opaque, which is fine for a Porter. The nose for this semi-robust brew is too subdued and the head is a little thin for the sytle.

Otherwise, the mouth is reasonably viscous and the finish is clearly coffee and somewhat burnt, not much on the oatmeal side.

Overall a good brew what will please those who want a fairly high gravity Porter. (429 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7%

Pours dark brown, more cola colored...not quite as "stout" as the carrier imply's, but perfectly fine for a good porter. Head was lighter tan, decent lace.

Lot's of sweet chocolate, some bittersweet coffee notes, and lot's of roasted malts. There's slight foral hop notes faintly in the back.

Big chocolate, roasted notes, nice coffee and a bit of floral hop bitterness again. This was a more intensified version of the aroma and it was quite nice.

As the Bros. said, this is nice and full-ish in body. Nicely creamy, low carbonation, and a clean dry finish.

Overall, this is a very good porter. Lot's of flavor and aroma, great feel, and solid drinkability. Picked this up in Florida, but we just started getting a couple Red Bricks here in Louisiana, so I'm very much looking forward to this and the rest of the bunch eventually making it's way over! (860 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours the deepest, richest brown you can imagine. Almost appears black. The head is small and off-white, dissipates quickly, decent lacing.

S: Roasted, roasted, roasted. Roasted malts, caramel, molasses, and roasted chocolate. Nice nose, sweet and toasty.

T: Again, burnt malts, chocolate, caramel, coffee, toffee

MF/D: Medium/full in body, thick and creamy mouthfeel. Finishes a little dry and bitter. (408 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%

Red brick porter
A - pours dark, no light through the glass in a medium lighted room. Tan head about a finger which dissipates in a few minutes. Looks inviting with the head, lacing as it dissipates, black, and porter looking. Taste buds are coming alive. Great lacing as it goes down.

Smell - sweet malt, fresh, roasted malt smell with expectation of medium body.

Taste - roasted malts, somewhat bitter aftertaste, evidence of deep dark chocolate and some coffee. Starts off with roasted malts and slight coffee, then some bitter hops, well balanced, then a thin draught type taste, finishing off with good bitterness and chocolate. The hops is not overpowering, nor is the sweetness. There is absolutely NO alcohol taste for me at all. This is my first beer tonight and 3/4 of the way through I can start to feel the alcohol, but no taste of it as it is well hidden, it is not even warming. A nice chocolate hint lingers in the aftertaste with the mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel - perfect level of carbonation for me, slightly prickly, more thin than other porters and smooth, not too creamy.

Drinkability - very good if you like a few porters in a night. It is not too heavy so you can sip down several of these. I am impressed overall with this porter and fits the style well and doesn't go after the chocolate coffee flavors aggressively where a lot of others do. They seem confident making a true porter. (1,411 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #40 (May 2010):

This deep, dark brown brew has a tan lacing that sticks like a champ. The aroma is like a bucket of dark chocolate with a cup o' joe, roasty but very pleasant. The roasted charac- ter goes to work right away with its smooth, full-ish body. Cover medium-roasted coffee beans with dark unsweetened baker's chocolate, and that is where this beer lands. Clean palate. Hops, a little citrus and spice in the middle compliment the roasted flavors very well. Bitterness keeps the burnt sugar flavor in check and its semidry finish comes as a welcome surprise.

Look at ABC, kickin' ass and asking questions later. Seriously good Porter and very drink- able, as the finish goes to the dry side. (744 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dark brown in color with a small creamy tan colored head. What the head lacks in stature it makes up in endurance as the head lasted until the glass was empty.
Aroma of chocolate and toffee. I do wish the aroma was a little stronger, but it's good none the less.
The flavor is where this beer shines as it really suprised me. This is a good beer. Rich dark chocolate notes with a healthy dose of dark chocolate bitterness. Nice roastiness to round it all out. Pretty one demensional but I don't mind one demensional if that demension is good. It's heavy on the chocolate but with out being over-kill. No hint of the alcohol.
Nice creamy silky mouthfeel from the oatmeal. The mouthfeel really adds to the flavor from the beer.
Best offering from ABC. I'll probably pick some more up to trade as this beer is worthy to be shared. (827 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours black with a huge fluffy tan head.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, and cream

Tastes of sweet chocolate mousse and cream with a little kick of sweet coffee at the back end.

Nice and creamy with light carbonation.

This was a pretty damn drinkable brew. I've done tastings of this one at work a few times and I can usually turn on some non-beer drinker with this beer. It is also surprising to them when they compare a slightly chilled bottle with one chilled like they do in commercials. This is a good intro to dark beer and "proper" serving to a non-craft drinker. (571 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Well, this certainly sounds interesting. Kicking off the 4th of July holiday with this nugget of Southern hospitality from everetends. Dropping the contents of this 12 oz. into the Portsmouth snifter.

Wow - nice, chunky 2 ½-finger head - maple/ginger/Quaker Oats color. It has layers, muffin tunnels and a chunky seam, with pretty excellent lacing and retention. Body viscosity isn't incredibly huge - it pours with a Coke or root beer (Coke - it's from Atlanta) color and body. After a few minutes the head starts to resemble that of an ice cream float. Pretty solid carbonation, too.

Nice semblance of soft patent tannins along with roasted chocolatey malt. Hop character is pine; there's a slight metallic Porter tinge to it. Oats soften this up pretty nicely. Not the thickest scent but very good for style.

The weight comes about on the taste - this has a very nice strength to it. Patent tannins mesh nicely with a grassy-pine hop profile and bittersweet chocolate. Oats again make this slightly sweet and very enjoyable - nice residual sugars in here but not too much to be offensive. This is quite good. Slight char and smokiness to it - very latent and slate-like.

Extremely well-balanced with a nice, slightly hot finish. Ideal weight class for what is an increasingly smoky, chocolatey offering. I do like the softness of the oatmeal here - it really works.

Something a little off the beaten path - I dig trade extras like this. Very grateful to 'tends for the opportunity to check this deal out. Excellent stuff. (1,530 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a nice rich matte black with a soild 1/2 finger mocha head. Nice retention with streams of lace down the glass.

S: Aromas of fresh coffee, dark roasted malt and chocolate.

T: Very bold roasted malt here. Nice bitterness exhibited. Loads of fresh coffee, and milk chocolate. Subtle green hops in the finish. Solid as hell beer for sure.

M: Medim in body. Silky mouthfeel from the oatmeal.

D: Good. I really liked this beer. Will head back to Mellow Mushroom for another pint before it is gone. (505 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6%

12 oz single obtained by buying another locals cellar when he was moving. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown that appears almost black. Ruby highlights around the edge when held up to the light. I was a bit aggressive with the pour and it was a mistake. The head was so huge I couldn't finish pouring the bottle. It has a big frothy tan head. As the head slowly settled there was huge clumps of lacing. A very nice looking brew.

S: The chocolate really stands out in the aroma as you expect based on the name of the brew. There isn't a lot else going on but the chocolate aroma is very nice.

T: Like in the aroma, the chocolate comes out to play first. It is mixed in with a nice roasted malt flavor. The finish has just a tiny bit of bitterness that helps to balance the overall sweet flavor profile of this one.

M: It feels a little thin for the style for me, but the carbonation helps improve its creaminess and smoothness.

D: This one goes down pretty easy. The sweetness that is not cloying at all and is balanced well with a very slightly bitter finish makes for an easy drinker.

This is definitely the best beer I have had by ABC. (1,165 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Dark brown color. Poured a half finger tan head that dissipated to a skim around the edge. Laced in light sheets.

S: Bitter coffee and cocoa. A little caramel and earthy peat.

T: Fairly big toasted malts consistent with smell. Nice bitter in the finish for balance.

M: Light side of medium body. Low carbonation. Creamy and smooth up to a sharp bitter in the finish.

D: Liked the flavor and balance in this one. disguises the ABV fairly well. (451 characters)

Red Brick Porter from Red Brick Brewing Company