Long John Ale - Red Brick Brewing Company

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: khiasmus on 11-25-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long John Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 35 | Reviews: 29
3.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Until this year, ABC's Winter Brew was a porter. But this year, it's a new style: a big 8.2% ABV dark belgian ale. The closest thing I can describe it as is a dubbel...but let's get drinking.

Deep reddish brown in the glass with nary a head, just wispy bits of foam. Nose is full of candi sugar, herbal hops and big fusel alcohol aromas. Hints of banana, believe it or not.

Fruity and caramel malt, slight sweet astringency from candi sugar or something of the like. Plum and blackcurrant. Very sticky in the mouth, only the driness from the alcohol keeps it from being cloying. It's hot, lots of alcohol. Long sticky aftertaste.

Perhaps a bit young and hot but interesting nonetheless. Maybe a bit of age will settle it down.

3.54/5  rDev +13.8%

Purchased at Capital City Package in Atlanta.
12oz bottle.

A- Pours a murky brown with some ruby hues when held up to the light. The small white head quickly disappears and leaves no lacing on the glass.
S- Bubblegum, banana, some alcohol present. Pretty good and what I would expect from a Belgian Ale
T- Aroma carries over to the taste, with strong yeasty and banana tones. A bit phenolic.
M- Brew is a bit light-bodied, and rather dry. It also leaves you with a slight sourness that I wasn't expecting.
D- Decent drinkability. I put one down fairly easily for 8% but wasn't jumping up to have a second. It did make for a decent end to my evening though.

Overall, an OK offering from Atlanta Brewing Company. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, but wouldn't turn it down either...

4.32/5  rDev +38.9%

I'd heard that ABC had switched the winter brew to a Belgian and couldn't wait to try it. ABCs brews aren't typically the greatest on the market, but they're a solid choice when the pickins are slim.

The 2008 Belgian pours a deep brown color, slightly cloudy from the sediment in the bottle. Light head, no lacing (and I know the glass is clean).

First sniff and I think, "Belgian ale," but we need to explore this more. Definitely alcohol in there, but I'd expect that from a dark Belgian. Fruits, bananas... reminiscent of Leffe. Nice.

First taste (cold) and I think, "I rather do like this." A bit astringent, but as I let the brew dance over my tongue and warm a bit, I get the banana flavor, maybe some toffee(?), and a bouquet that reminds me of a tasty, spicy raisiney fruit mincemeat pie. Again, much of what I'd expect from a dark Belgian ale.

The brew is dry from start to finish, leaving behind a peppery banana finish. Interesting.

This would be a great dessert or nightcap brew. One should be enough, but I'm already on my second... ;-)

1.43/5  rDev -54%

Apparently, Red Brick Winter Brew changes every year. Last year's was an oatmeal stout, this one a "Belgian Style Ale." Since it pours brown, one can only assume it's a Belgian brown ale. EDIT: i have been corrected that they had the oatmeal stout as the winter brew for a few years, and have now decided to make it year-round. So this year's winter brew is replacing that.

The beer pours a muddy brown with a slight greenish tinge when held to the light. (?) Head is minimal after a medium strength pour, and drops to a ring quickly. Some bubbling, and a bit of yeast sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Not a super attractive beer.

Smells a bit like a weizenbock - banana, a bit of bubblegum, actually a lot of bubblegum... There's some molasses like malt in there, but also some higher, fusel alcohols evident as well as some band-aid... doesn't bode well.

Flavor is also reminiscent of a weizenbock, but not a very good one. Banana bread malt with orange that turns to orange peel bitterness. It's really a mess. Phenols, diacetyl, fusels, a lingering bitterness that tastes more like bad pecans and orange peel than hops. There's some band-aid phenols and some DMS, as well as a burnt citrus... did they burn the hops? I'm having difficulty finding one positive about the way this tastes. :-(

Mouthfeel is not terrible, except for the high fusels and crazy astringency in the finish that I can't seem to attach to a flavor. As I said, the bitterness is more like bad pecans than anything else, and there's little to no hop flavor, or really anything besides flaws, bubblegum, and orange peel.

This is not a good beer at all. It's a shame, because I wish more semi-local breweries could produce quality product. However, if this were a homebrew of mine, I wouldn't even enter it in a competition. It's honestly one of the worst commercial beers I've had. Hopefully they'll work out their apparent sanitation/fermentation temp issues and produce a quality brew next year, as it appears they did last year. This one is a shame, and a drain pour.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »