Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla - Red Brick Brewing Company

Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla GorillaRed Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla

good

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: AdamBear on 09-21-2011)
Reviews by CruisaC:
2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

Had heard about this one, I'm a sucker for beers with vanilla. Unfortunately I skipped over the "smoked" part since I almost never care r those beers.

Pours a dark brown/black with a fleeting dark khaki head. The best part of the beer.

I get the smoke upfront but there's a strange sour smell that's creeping in on the back end. Hmmm.

Taste is smoke and sour, sour smoke, a little roasted malt. I get no whiskey notes and especially no vanilla. I'm not sure if this is what they're going for. I hate to bring up the "I" word but I can't think this is what they wanted out of this. Should have a little sweetness, no?

Mouthfeel is a little thin. What's the base beer here?

A pretty big miss for me, after some high hopes. Maybe some infection issues, maybe I need to try the non-smoked version.

CruisaC, May 29, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

daedalusfinch, Jan 08, 2012

SkinnyElvis, Feb 08, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

big thanks to my man tom for letting me try a bottle of this!

12oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter. no freshness info.

pours out pretty much opaque black, reveals a bit of ruby, brown on the edges in the light. small light tan head that faded pretty quickly to a ring and some light patchy foam, then eventually nothing. no lace.

the aroma doesnt have much to offer at first. as it warms i get lots of vanilla. some roasty milk chocolate, and a hint of some woody, smokey qualities.

lots of roast and vanilla at the forefront. also, lots of milk chocolate and maybe some coffee makes itself known. a bit of smokiness is noticeable, more as it warms, but almost nothing from the whiskey barrel aging. different than most stronger porters, off the first sip i almost got a strange kind of barrel funkiness.

for me, the moughtfeel felt a bit too thin for the style, and just a touch too much of a bitey carbonation.

not really sure what to make of this beer, at times the flavor was great, at times, it tasted off. nice vanilla bean taste, not too sure on the whiskey barrel though. a worthy beer non the less.

dogfishandi, Nov 26, 2011

wo87810, Jul 03, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle, undated.

A nearly black, clear liquid, topped by a moderate tan head.

Smoke, whiskey, oak and dark malt in the nose. There's a hint of vanilla in both the nose and the mouth, and it lingers into the aftertaste. A hint of hops in the flavor too, but the major change is from the very sweet aroma to a slightly sour taste.

O: too smokey and poorly balanced for my taste.

chinchill, Jan 06, 2012

freehafe, Feb 12, 2012

JustinMTeal, Oct 20, 2012

BeerHownd, Jan 16, 2012

ltdantheman, Feb 25, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

Many thanks to ahlthe3rd (Hugh) for the chance to taste this one. Never heard of Red Brick or this beer and always looking to try new things! Poured from bottle into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a nearly pitch black/brown medium bodied pour. Barely any head and some visible alcohol legs. Smell- sweet smoked cherry malt. Some mocha and chocolate flavors behind it. That's about it for aroma. Taste- there is a wierd tartness to this, but I am not sure it is from infection, and might just be a malt characteristic. What I get absolutely 0 from here is anything related to bourbon. The flavors are the expected smoke, the sweet and tart malt backbone, maybe a little chocolate or coffee on the end. I like this beer, but it is not as I thought it would be. This is ok, but I'm not blown away.

lnashsig, Jan 13, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

a: Pitch clear black beer in color, some spare head that quickly dies. Some tan lacing in a mug.

s: bourbon, vanilla, smoke. any hops or yeast was crushed in the barrel. lol. also no malt as is all overpowered in a bad/good way.

t: at first the smoke overpowers the bourbon/vanilla combo, then on the back of the mouth that flavor comes through. Sort of boozy. lightly sweet, no hops, yeast or malt as above. with the right food this beer could work.

m: oily, full body beer, rich thick and semi chocolate.

o: humm not a big fan of oak aged beers, or smokey beers. This is both. I bought the 4 pack and this is my 2nd go around with it. Its not as bad as the first one was. now with this beer the smoke overpowers it, but not in a bad way. I just find I like less smoke, and I bet the regular porter done this way would be OUTSTANDING! However if you are a smokey beer lover then you think this is a great beer and too you it will be, to me its so so. its worth a try but if you hate smoke beers stay away. I will never buy a 4 pack again.

drink: after taste when it warms up is like drinking an ashtray. YUCK!

azorie, Sep 27, 2011

Jordanbryan10, Jan 10, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

A: pitch black with a creamy one finger white head
S: smoky bbq, vanilla beans, hints of bourbon. Very pleasant!
T: as the nose depicts with sweet coffee. As the brew warmed up some burnt yet tasty notes appeared.
M: velvety with thin prickly bubbles. Almost the viscosity of skim milk.
O: thought I wouldn't be this impressed but definitely try this out if you have the opportunity! Wonder what age would do to this.

DrewShal9, Jan 06, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a sniffer. Pours a dark brown color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is smoked malts and whiskey. I can't pick up on much of the vanilla in the nose.

T- The taste is malty up front with some smokey flavors and some of the whiskey flavors from the barrel aging come through as well.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

cjgator3, Oct 06, 2011

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: A coca-cola color with a tan head.

Smell: Smokey, Vanilla, hops and whiskey

Taste: Hops, smokey, vanilla and slight whiskey and chocolate on the back.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, smooth and mid-light dry on the palate.

Overall: The hops, vanilla, smoke, whiskey and chocolate are well balanced. My brother really enjoyed this one. Cheers!

Heatwave33, Oct 30, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Dark brown body with a tan head. I didn't experience the "thin head" issues that the other reviewers before me noted. Aroma is an onslaught of smoke -- can't pick up on much else. It's like sniffing your clothes after sitting around a camp fire all night. Taste is again predominantly smoke, with a backdrop of vanilla as well as the malt profile I've come to associate with porters or low-ABV stouts. The vanilla compliments the smoke well and really shows up, and it almost puts the smoke in check -- but the smoke still dominates. I can't say I picked up any coffee or chocolate; if there was any, the smoke was completely blotting it out for me. The bottle says it was aged in whiskey barrels, but I can't say I noticed any whiskey. Thinnish body.

When I found out this was a smoke bomb, I didn't expect to like it. But I actually ended up enjoying it. However, the smoke is so strong that it ends up being a bit of a one-trick pony. I think I would have liked a higher ABV, or a slight toning down of the smoke with more coffee/chocolate thrown in instead.

This one really lives up to its namesake though -- smoke and vanilla. I'm not sure if the whole "gorilla" part is fair though at only 7-and-change on the ABV.

Mavajo, Sep 23, 2011

jmhart, Nov 14, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Creamy vanilla iced coffee nose with hints of wood and smoke. I think the smoke comes across as a chili pepper-like spiciness moreso than a salty or umami impression. Big, rich dark chocolate flavors with a boozey undertone that blends well with the hop bitterness. I think the strength of barrel and booziness in the mid through to the finish overpowers any of the smoked flavors, which isn't a bad thing for me.

BeerZack, Mar 20, 2013

nickhiller, Dec 09, 2011
3.5/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks goes out to morimoto76 for sharing this bottle during a recent tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a deep red brown with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount very quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, smoke, roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, vanilla, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, smoke, wood, dark fruit, vanilla, and subtle alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Just about everything on this one was pretty nice, but I just wish there was a little more complexity and intensity on the aspects present. Been wanting to try this one for awhile and glad I finally got the chance.

thagr81us, Feb 19, 2012
Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla from Red Brick Brewing Company