Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla - Red Brick Brewing Company

Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla GorillaRed Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla

good

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: AdamBear on 09-21-2011

2.94/5  rDev -16.2%

Had heard about this one, I'm a sucker for beers with vanilla. Unfortunately I skipped over the "smoked" part since I almost never care r those beers.

Pours a dark brown/black with a fleeting dark khaki head. The best part of the beer.

I get the smoke upfront but there's a strange sour smell that's creeping in on the back end. Hmmm.

Taste is smoke and sour, sour smoke, a little roasted malt. I get no whiskey notes and especially no vanilla. I'm not sure if this is what they're going for. I hate to bring up the "I" word but I can't think this is what they wanted out of this. Should have a little sweetness, no?

Mouthfeel is a little thin. What's the base beer here?

A pretty big miss for me, after some high hopes. Maybe some infection issues, maybe I need to try the non-smoked version.

2.92/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into a tulip. The brew appears brown in color with some clarity around the edges. A finger of tan head rests atop and produces some spotty lacing as the cap fades. A light swirl revitalizes more than a finger effortlessly back to the surface.

The aroma is smoked like beefy bacon alongside an awkward amount of alcohol tang. There is a fruity aspect present that is not all that inviting along eith an earthen to rocky/mineral feel.

The taste is quite tangy like whiskey mixed with chocolate. Some earthen flavors mingle with the beefy smoked aspect. There is quite an abundance of mineral flavoring into the aftertaste that is not that enjoyable.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. The whiskey reinforced tang is interesting but not that good. If that wasnt bad enough, the mineral aspect was even worse. Not at all what I was expecting for a "vanilla smoked porter."

2.92/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a dark black color. No real head ever really comes of this beer. Just some light legs on the sides of the glass and no real lace.

S- The smoke comes through in the aroma first with hints of dull vanilla and light barrel notes. Nothing really else comes with the aroma. It's simple straight to the point and as much as this pains me to say this I wish the smoke was a little bit held back.

T- Light almost chocolate roast on the front of the beer quickly gets overtaken by a charred smoke flavor. This dies down a bit by the middle giving way to some light vanilla notes. These notes combine in the ending with a dull oak flavor. The bourbon that I expected in this beer never shows at all...I get oak flavor and that is it...no booze to follow. Smokey throughout the beer with the backside having it subside and linger a little more.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little lacking in this bottle. Lots of smoke left on the palate. Aftertaste is lingering smoke, light alcohol, and stale barrel notes. While there were no off flavors there could have been a little better use of the flavors in the beer. Medium alcohol drying on the palate. Beer just felt dull on the palate.

O- I thought this beer was just average. It wasn't bad at all but it did leave me wishing it had more. A beer I could see maybe having once again but was wishing the barrel notes came though more and the smoked had less full flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.65/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured into an A-B flute on 12/14/11

Lighter to cap resulted in a loud pop; I'm surprised it didn't commence to gushing.

Medium brown; settles dark with half ruby, half stained wood highlights. Three finger head crackles to life (very noisy) and slowly settles a thin layer that bunches at the collar. Some lace catches and keeps up over time.

Smells like something might be wrong, but I can't be certain. Tangy roasted grains give way to mild notes of coffee, smoke, bitter dark chocolate and earth. I'm not picking out any vanilla. The barrel aging seems to have done little to impart whiskey tones; all that's going on here is a musty swamp wood note. Wait, just got a stray whiff of vanilla; very seldom seen.

Tastes questionable, too. Messy roasted notes of grain, chocolate and even some caramel it seems. There is a soft sweetness that I reckon could be attributable to the vanilla but it doesn't live up to an inclusion in the name of the beer. Heck, neither does the smoke. Some whiskey nips are appreciable but come across as generic to begin with and stale beyond that. Tastes dirty. Becomes a tad sweeter as it warms.

I find the feel to be obnoxiously thin; carbonation is far too vigorous, too. The feels hurting and already damaged beer; not a good thing. Finishes with mustiness and suggestions of murky barrel and the above hodge podge.

There's enough about this beer to be suspect and not enough to even consider a repeat visit. It's ok to try, but I'm debating whether to pour this out or not.

2.57/5  rDev -26.8%

A: deep, dark ruby color, clear, with nice tan head that was full but dissipated to a veil
S: more chocolate and roasted malt than smoke, medium nose
T: there's something wrong with this beer that is not evident in the nose, sour taste like it's gone off, not incredibly sour but enough to realize it's there and it detracts from what should be a chewy porter
M: I can't get past the sour taste, thin for its ABV and style

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

2.36/5  rDev -32.8%

A: Pitch black with a finger's width tan colored head and good lacing down the glass.

S: Sweet roasted and smoked malt with chocolate and a bit of vinegar....which is weird.

T: Up front there is a little bit of roasted malt, but it is taken over by a very, very citric acid bite. No Bueno. I'll keep this review until I can try another....yuck.

M: The beer is rather light and smooth...but then finishes with a citric acid bitterness that kills everything.

O: Not good. I'll try again and update if necessary.

2.34/5  rDev -33.3%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Consumed 4/28/12

Appearance: Dark brown, light tan head, leaves wispy lacing - unexpectedly dark, could pass for a stout

Smell: So much smoke - kind of like a rauchbier - smoky, burnt organic matter - somewhere between charred meat and charred vegetables - overall, it kind of smells like a poorly maintained, musty barbeque grill - wet wood

Taste: Smoke and weirdness - ridiculously burnt and smoky, tastes... unhealthy - some chocolate and vanilla underneath - lots of damp, wet wood - an odd undercurrent of sourness, some odd fruits - some cardboard - I honestly don't know if this is infected, or just that there is a weird interaction between the extremely smoked malt, vanilla, and other elements

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium body, adequately carbonated, smooth, a little sticky

Overall: Not sure if infected, or just bad

So much smoke, and so much weirdness. Smoked malt doesn't begin to explain this. It's like someone decided to burn some smoked malt. Very strange, yet not awful.

2.34/5  rDev -33.3%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown to black, and forms a thin tan head. Not much visible carbonation, if any.

S: To me, the aroma is all smoky. Try as I might, I just can't get any vanilla scents. Well, as it starts to warm some, there is just a bit of vanilla here.

T: Taste follows the nose...sweet & smoky. In the flavor also, I can't find any significant vanilla until it warms, but even then it seems more of a background flavor. The smoke flavor just overwhelms any other flavors unlucky enough to be in here.

M: Thick and sticky. The smoky flavor coats the mouth.

O: In the interest of full disclosure - since apparently I don't have the patience to actually read a label in the store, I didn't realize this was a smoked beer until I got it out of the fridge. Certainly not my favorite style, but I've had a few that I actually liked. This one, though, was absolutely *not* for me. Trying to get past the smoke flavor, I thought two things: 1)It doesn't seem real possible; and 2)With Gorilla in the name, I expected to be smacked over the head with Vanilla; and was disappointed in that respect. Drain pour.

2.24/5  rDev -36.2%

A: The beer pours out thick and black, but really has nothing else going for it. Only a thin ring of light brown head raises out of the beer, and doesn't lace or hang out at all. The beer bubbles slightly, but isn't anything special. 2

S: The smoked porter is clearly apparent right off the bat. Huge roast, char, and smoke. Next up is the vanilla, which attempts to provide some balance, but actually takes away from it. The smoke and vanilla don't really seem to work with each other...fighting for prominence in my nostrils. I don't note any whiskey. 3

T: The balance on the taste is off as well, which really disappoints me because I was looking forward to tasting this beer. I think the smoke just overtakes the whiskey too much. The taste is dominated by smoke, char, peat, and big hits of vanilla. The finish is actually really nice, with lingering chocolate, slight vanilla, and hints of booze. The aftertaste leaves the remnants of too much vanilla that I noted throughout the aroma and taste. 2

MF: The beer has a medium body, with the lower than average amount of carbonation I expected from the appearance. The finish is slightly unpleasant, with lingering flavors that don't exactly work. The alcohol presence is hidden well, but not even that can help the drinkability. I just find this to be too smokey, vanilla-y, and unbalanced. 2

O: Pretty big disappointment here. Thought it was going to be a knock out as I really appreciated Red Brick's other beers I've had. Can't win them all! 2

2.04/5  rDev -41.9%

A - Pours with one finger of tan foam on top of a dark brown body with dark amber highlights showing through. The head settles rapidly and leaves moderate lace.

S - Molasses, smoke, and caramel.

T - Sweet, and slightly sour caramel up front with a bit of molasses. Smoke and black cherry notes in the middle with a disconcerting band aid note. Finishes with more sour fruit and unpleasant phenolics.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Wow, this is flat out awful. The smoke and vanilla come together to create a beer that tastes like rootbeer with bandaids floating in it. I couldn't pour this one down the drain fast enough.

Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla from Red Brick Brewing Company