Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla - Red Brick Brewing Company

Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla GorillaRed Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla

good

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: AdamBear on 09-21-2011

4.07/5  rDev +16%

Black in color, little to no foam and a smokey vanilla smell. Very present, but not over bearing, smokey taste, with a nice balance of vanilla after taste. It's an excellent beer that's full of complex flavor. I was surprised when I saw the rating on here, oh well, I guess we all have different tastes.

4.24/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to gford217 for this generous extra!

12 oz bottle poured into Delerium Tremens tulip.

A: Pours a completely opaque dark, dark brown with cherry-cola highlights. 1-finger mocha head dies into a thin cap, leaving a bit of lacing.

S: Vanilla and sweet cocoa dominate the nose, followed by a bit of wood and fresh cream. Also some caramel and molasses Very inviting.

T: Nose characteristics start this off, followed by a great deal of oak and a bit of coffee. Not getting much bourbon, but the oak is omnipresent. Delicious.

M: Carbonation is rather high for the style, although the feel itself is thinner than I'd like to see in a beer like this.

O: Certainly a delicious take on a vanilla porter, although I'd say the flavor profile leans more towards a stout. I also would have liked to see more bourbon, even though the oak is there in droves. Regardless, I would love to have regular access to this beer.

Very nice, and worth more than one take.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

Saw this and had to try it, if not for the name alone.

Almost no head, even with an aggressive pour into a pint glass. Extremely dark brown boredering on black color.

Excellent aromas to this beer. Coffee, chocolate, hint of vanilla and smoke.

Served cold, the smoke flavor tends to overwhelm the other flavors. Definitely let this one warm up a bit to fully appreciate the other flavors.

I did think it felt a little thin compared to the aroma and flavor profiles, but all in all a very nice beer.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.94/5  rDev -16.2%

Had heard about this one, I'm a sucker for beers with vanilla. Unfortunately I skipped over the "smoked" part since I almost never care r those beers.

Pours a dark brown/black with a fleeting dark khaki head. The best part of the beer.

I get the smoke upfront but there's a strange sour smell that's creeping in on the back end. Hmmm.

Taste is smoke and sour, sour smoke, a little roasted malt. I get no whiskey notes and especially no vanilla. I'm not sure if this is what they're going for. I hate to bring up the "I" word but I can't think this is what they wanted out of this. Should have a little sweetness, no?

Mouthfeel is a little thin. What's the base beer here?

A pretty big miss for me, after some high hopes. Maybe some infection issues, maybe I need to try the non-smoked version.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

3.99/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz bottle purchased at Total Wine & More in Boca Raton FL early October 2011. Poured into Libbey stemmed porter/stout glass.

A: Pours coffee black with thin tan head that dissipates into a thin film leaving a tan ring around the top.

S: Vanilla detected immediately after the pour when the glass is at least a foot away, but smoke is the most prevalent aroma when the glass is under my nose. Minor whiskey notes intertwined with toffee, roasted coffee and faint hint of chocolate cherries.

T: Smoke still takes center stage, while vanilla, coffee, and chocolate play in the background. Many different flavors but nicely balanced.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation that's almost a little too fizzy for my preference. Would like to see how this one settles after a few months. Slight bitterness that doesn't linger.

O: Lots of different flavors and aromas give it a very interesting complexity that's remarkably well-balanced, with the smokiness and vanilla playing off each other nicely.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%

Pours a deep brown/red and leaves a nice three finger tan head. Smells like a rauchbier. I get smoked meat and whiskey, but no vanilla. Tastes exactly like the smell. Smoked ham comes through and stays throughout. I can taste whiskey at the end, but vanilla is not how I would describe this beer. Very delicious. Very smokey and the whiskey barrels give this a nice smoothness that other smoked beers lack. Very impressed! More characteristic of a rauchbier than a porter. If you love smoked beers, this is a must-try!

I will preface this by saying that I am not a fan of smoke beers, so take my review with a grain of salt. That being said I reviewed the beer in it's style

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a New Belgium Snifter

A: Pours extremely black and fairly thick with a nice one finger tan head that lingers nicely throughout the tasting.

S: Smoke dominates the nose for me. Chocolate and vanilla notes play nicely in the background with a slight note of booze.

T: The first taste was full of smoke. On the second taste the vanilla and chocolate notes flood through giving way to a slight boozy heat and a smokey finish

M: Very enjoyable. Creamy and smooth with good carb levels

O: Like I said in the beginning, I am NOT a smoke beer fan. At first taste I thought this might be a drain pour for me however the subsequent tastes brought out a lot of wonderful characteristics in this beer. Really like this guy

4.07/5  rDev +16%

A: pitch black with a creamy one finger white head
S: smoky bbq, vanilla beans, hints of bourbon. Very pleasant!
T: as the nose depicts with sweet coffee. As the brew warmed up some burnt yet tasty notes appeared.
M: velvety with thin prickly bubbles. Almost the viscosity of skim milk.
O: thought I wouldn't be this impressed but definitely try this out if you have the opportunity! Wonder what age would do to this.

4.07/5  rDev +16%

A: Good appearance. Dark brown color with a great beige/cream colored lace.

S: Very pleasant smokey smell. Barbecue, coffee, and subtle chocolate round out the notes.

T: Rich chocolate flavor, with an incredible smoked malt finish that gets better as it warms up.

M: Pillowy and smooth. You get a lingering coffee flavor that's really flavorful as well.

O: Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I think that a Pappy Van Winkle barrel aged version of this must have been 1,000times better though.

Red Brick Brick Mason Series #4: Smoked Vanilla Gorilla from Red Brick Brewing Company