Red Brick Hoplanta - Red Brick Brewing Company

good

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Thur123 on 11-27-2011

It’s Hoppier then a bullfrog with a stubbed toe: Yup, you read correctly. Red Brick now has a year round IPA called HopLanta! Look for HopLanta in 1/2 barrels, 1/6 barrels and 6 packs. Be sure to look for it in stores and restaurants near you!
Ratings: 501 | Reviews: 96
2.41/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

So I bought a case of this as it was one of the few IPAS available in beer deprived (depraved) MS. We still do not have enough quality offerings via distribution here, as presumably most quality breweries have enough distribution already. Hopefully we will continue to gain in assortment.

On to this beer: I bought a whole case from my vendor without trying it first. Big mistake. The product pours so foamy that it will run out of a 24 oz. mug, just by decanting it (properly, as I am so very well versed). Next it is very malty, rather than hoppy in any sense of the word. Mouthfeel is of heft without redeeming taste qualities. Smell is not like Ruination or West Coast IPA--it is more like, well just a malt-bomb. Can't describe it better, sorry. Overall it is something I will never buy again, though it remains better than the macro-brews. I still have 5-6 left from a case I bought almost 6 months ago, and that is saying something.

Red Brick, you should go to school and fix this offering. In the words of Chevy Chase, "you're really not that good..."

2.58/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I did make the perfect pour,but this massive inch and a half thick,tightly knit eggshell colored head. Amber golden hued with a bit of cloudiness and some light suspended sediment. Brussels lacing. Not much in the way of hop aroma. I get some pale malt. The taste reminds me of an extra special bitter with light hopping and plenty of delicate malt. Mouth is over carbonated and chalky.

2.58/5  rDev -28.9%

Boring, generic IPA. Absolutely nothing interesting to speak of.

2.59/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

New formula isn't any better unfortunately.

2.59/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as a single bottle from my local bottle shop. "Bottled on" date on bottle is illegible. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I poured it easily as this is a naturally carbonated beer and I didn't want to disturb the yeast layer.

In general, this tasted like one of my old, homebrewed IPAs where the hops fade and I'm left with a caramelly tasting, bitter beer.

Appearance - Deep gold to copper color. Color is a little darker than I like for IPAs. As mentioned previously, I gently poured this from a bottle so most of the yeast sediment stayed in the bottle. Consequently, the head was not that large and dissipated quickly. Very few bubbles rising through the beer.

Smell - Not what I expected from an IPA. Smells of caramel malts and alcohol "heat" dominate; very little hop aroma.

Taste - Flavor mimics what I'm smelling. Caramel notes up front which are quickly covered up by the alcohol heat I pick up. The hops are backseat, if present, which leads to an unbalanced IPA... unbalanced away from hoppiness.

Mouthfeel - This is a very sedentary beer. There isn't much activity of CO2 releasing through the glass. Instead, the beer tastes over carb'd in my mouth. This may be due to my gentle pour. Beer seems to have a medium body.

If someone gave me another one to try I would be happy to but I will not be buying another. I hope my bottle was an old one and not what the brewer intended as an IPA.

2.81/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Was not impressed with a bottle of this. Will try a draft at some point

2.81/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Harshly hoppy and bitter. Not a session beer. Probably not going to drink again.

2.96/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured in to a shaker pint. Cloudy amber appearance. Topped by a small white head with good lacing. The nose had a malty sweetness. Taste was bitter and dry, bland and boring.
Where did the hops go, Hop Lanta? All I got was malts. Mouthfeel was a little fizzy with a tart aftertaste. Once was a enough for me.

12 oz bottle; no date.
Beer of the month offering; a birthday gift.

A: Poured a nice single finger head with little retention; amber and a bit hazy.

S: not much aroma; slightly hoppy.

T: Slightly malty with the hops mostly citrus grapefruit front notes.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: a bit bland but drinkable.

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

A: A brownish orange-amber. Light tan head on top, and the body is very cloudy.

S: Hoppy with perhaps a bit of honey and orange blossom. Floral notes and caramel, there is a good bit of sweetness in there. The finish to the aroma has something weird in it, maybe a touch cloying, or metallic.... I can't quite seem to pick it up.

T: Bitterness is prevelant, with some caramel notes in the back. The hops come out with citrus and floral notes. There is a hint of a flour note. Not sure what I am picking up in this beer, but it something I am not a fan of.. perhaps the hop combination in conjunction with the malty sweetness. Perhaps a little too floral?

M: Medium to Medium thick. Carbonation is moderate to low, there is almost a sticky hop oil left over in your mouth..

O: Overall it's decent, but there is something in the flavor I am not in love with. Not amazing, but certainly drinkable, and decent.

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

Review is from notes taken on 7/12/2012. Poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a coppery/apricot color and it starts with a solid 1 and 1/2 finger slightly off-white head that fades relatively quickly to a thin, uneven skim; body has tons of sediment/floaties swirling around... holy shit, run this thing through a strainer! Fair lacing is left behind in thin swaths and a couple of patches, but not as much as I would hope in something that should have the kind of hop presence I would expect in something called "Hoplanta."

Smell: More sweet malt than anything, but there is a fair hint of some citric hop behind it -- some orange peel, some bitter grassy/pine. Not bad, but certainly a notch below what I would want -- pretty average.

Taste: Same as the smell -- malt is more present than the hops in the foreground, with some bitter seeping in and making its presence known at the end and they're like some shredded orange peel. Not bad, again, average at best.

Mouthfeel: Decent, medium bodied, perhaps a tad watery but it's alright; a sticky coating is left on the roof of the mouth; carbonation is ample - quite possibly the strongest aspect of this beer.

Overall: If I was in a restaurant and this was on tap, I probably would consider picking it up, but when it's sitting on the shelves next to Torpedo, there's not much reason to pick it up.

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

Can date 3-25-15. Threshold Beer Glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark gold with lots of sediment and floaties. 1 finger just off-white head, turns to a modest cap; very good retention. Some visible carbonation, but hard to see through all the sediment. Excellent lacing.

Aroma: Very sweet and citrusy. Fruit punch. Would not be surprised if this is hopped with Mosaic.

Taste: Dry, resinous and bitter arrival. Piney. Gasoline and resin across mid-palate - where is the sweetness I smelled? Big bang of bitterness at the ending, and lingering medicinal/piney. The fruit was only on the nose, there is no fruitiness or sweetness anywhere on the palate. Amazing in the contrast between aroma and taste.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of midweight. Fairly light on the carbonation. A little astringent on the finish.

Overall: Definitely a bold IPA. If I lived in Atlanta, I'd probably drink it fairly regularly. But it's not available where I am, and there are better examples of the style to me. Bitterness was a bit harsh. A pretty good IPA.

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Yulles for bringing me this little guy for picking him up a beer during a local release. Not necessary but appreciated! 12 oz. bottle into glass.

Pour is IPA gold with a fair amount of particle mass distributed throughout the IPA column. Nose is mostly floral hops with a distant background of citrus. A touch malty.

Hoplanta is that cruelest of creatures: the balanced IPA. A big malt bill siezes the tongue immediately, bringing bread & sweetness. Mid-sentence there are hops, light, floral, pretty. Gentle. They do stick around though, all the way through & deep into the aftertaste. As befits a beer presumedly made for a blazing Hotlanta summer, this is easy to sip.

A beer that seems to have been brewed to be middle-road & inoffensive, it succeeds on both counts. Decent enough.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hadn't seen this before and thought I'd give it a try. The little frog on the label was compelling. My overall impression is that it's kinda boring. Nothing bright, rich, deep, refreshing or striking about it. More of a slightly hopped up pale ale than a full fledged IPA. Citrus and tea flavor, more tea than citrus. The final note of bitterness is grapefruit. Glad I was able to try just one bottle. Might try it on tap.

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into an IPA glass. The liquid is a dark copper-amber color, and has some nice little floaties suspended in it. Hopefully those are hop particles.... The pour produces a nice-sized head with good retention and lacing.

Aroma is hops with a noticeable malt backbone. Hops are piney and citrusy, and I feel like there's a bit of resin in there. The malts are bready and lightly toasted. It smells nice and balanced, which is good, but there's nothing in the aroma that really grabs me.

Flavor follows the nose. There are some piney and citrusy hop flavors, and some nice bready malt, but nothing particularly memorable. If I didn't know better, I would think that maybe it was old, because there's no bottle-dating and the hops are pretty muted, but I got this bottle just after they changed the label, so I'm sure it was bottled in the past two weeks.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, with a lot of carbonation. Tiny bit of lingering bitterness.

Overall, it's drinkable, but not one that I'd probably ever choose again. I think this recipe is pretty old, and I have to admit that I'm partial to the newer, hipper IPAs, so maybe it's just personal taste...

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured refrigerator cold into two pyramidal wine glasses. Consumed over 15 minutes.
A: Downright chunky debris, swimming opacity on a bubbly orange
S: Orange, bready. Hops more obvious in the flavor than the nose.
T: Early flowers droop into spice, but the whole taste folds early with late emergent bitterness. With warmth, there is a background of caramel apple that smoothes out the final sips some.
M: The chunks make one fearful of the impending feel, but there is an astringent zing of metallic fizz that’s holds interest.
O: Not thrilling, with a consistently bitter end that spoils it some on its own and what food one might add alongside. But not uninteresting—glad we met.

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

A - A copper redish coor, with 1 finger of head, but not much sticky lace left on the glass. But what is kick ass is the LOADS of sediment floating around in the brew. Unbelievably unfiltered!

S - Citrusy sweet hops

T - wow, huge malt backbone, with a bittering flavor at the end.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O - An average IPA. The appearance and the sediment in the beer is the best part for me. The taste is below average for an IPA. Cool name though...

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a thick one finger white head. Excellent head retention and pretty good lacing.

Aroma of earthy hops with some tree bark and a good bit of caramel. Maybe a little orange in there as well.

The orange becomes more apparent on the taste but there is still more earth than citrus. Some we tree bark along with caramel and toast. There is some pine that sneaks through but it remains restrained. Fairly high bitterness and a sticky sweeter finish.

Overall, an ok IPA but very run of the mill. Nothing to get really excited about here and not a beer I would really seek out on a regular basis.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Unfiltered golden yellow 1 in white head with great lacing

Nose: Golden raisin with some light hops and some caramel

Taste: Light fruits and a clean malt, could be more here, with a spicey hop finish

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, definitely sessionable.

Overall: This is a good IPA, very drinkable

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the brewery.
A clear amber ale with a durable bone-colored head. Excellent lacing.

Feel: Relatively smooth up front with a crisp, dry finish.

Bitterness kicks up in the finish and lingers on in the grapefruit-rind flavored aftertaste. Some malt flavor with little [it seems] balancing sweetness.

O: a fine-looking, West Coast style IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color with a nice off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is faint malt and citrusy hops. The aroma is surprisingly faint for an IPA.

T- The taste is dominated by the citrusy hops, there is not much of a malt presence.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I was a little disappointed with this IPA. It is lacking a bit compared to some of the better IPAs on the shelves.

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at The Beer Dispensary in Apex, NC.

A - A deep gold with a moderate white head. As a homebrewer that bottle conditions, I always pour carefully and watch for sediment yet this one got me big time. I left a good ounce in the bottle yet I had big chunks of yeast sediment throughout the glass. Not exactly what I expect from an IPA in a 12oz bottle. Good clarity otherwise.

S - Mostly piney hops with some bready malts.

T - Piny hop flavor. A nice bitterness up front but it doesn't linger long enough. Some toasted malts throughout.

M - Slightly slick with a moderate carbonation of fine bubbles. Flows down nicely.

O - A decent beer other than the massive sediment. But I can't really separate the two.

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my 32oz mug

A - big fluffy head, lots of lacing, it appears to be unfiltered, which to most would be a turn off, but appreciate a beer that can be crafted without filtering, being a home brewer myself.

S - not much going on on the nose, some faint herbal hops and citrus

M - light to medium body, mildly carbonated

O - despite being unfiltered this beer is tasty, easy on the palette and very drinkable. However, as an IPA I don't think it quite fits into the style with the big contenders, but I still enjoyed drinking this brew. I don't think I'll ever actively seek it out, but I would be delighted if I saw it on the shelf.

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Too much residual sweetness andesters. Not my cup of tea

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Homebrew day beer. Picked it up for 8.99 at Kriger. Never had this local brew out of Atlanta.

A - The first thing I noticed after the glass was poured was the junk floating all in the beer. I've had beers - that I later found out were spoiled - that had floating things in it. Definitely not something you would look for in a beer. Other than that the head is just big enough to appear creamy and the lacing is all up the glass as I'm sipping it. Sticky sticky beer. Let's hope the floaties are normal for this brew.

S - Swett malts up front with slight frutiness following. Right now I don't get much hop on the nose. Smells really sweet and creamy. The anticipation!

T - The taste is sweet as well...particularly the aftertaste. The hops are less floral and grapefruity and more spicy. It leaves your mouth with a tiny little burn that you'd get from eating something on the spicy side but not meant to actually be spicy. First thing you notice when you drink this beer is the bitterness (obviously), but there's a really nice sweet malty finish that glides in there while the bitterness lingers...it's that ever-present battle between the grains and hops. They want your palate! It's really good, although I generally prefer the more grapefruit-tasting IPAs. West Coast IPAs, right? It's good...all those floaties are probably unfiltered goodness from the mash/wort, the brewers left in there cause they FREAKING CAN.

O - I like it. It's not my favorite, but it's not going to be the last time I drink this brew. If it's available at a local restaurant/pub/bar here in ATL you might find me sipping on one of these...you might. BUT, I have had better. Those "betters" will go unnamed - being that I have not yet reviewed them on BA. I will.

Out of 100 total "goodness" point I rate Red Brick Hoplanta a solid 89.

Stoutish