Red Brick Hoplanta - Red Brick Brewing Company

good

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Thur123 on 11-27-2011

It’s Hoppier then a bullfrog with a stubbed toe: Yup, you read correctly. Red Brick now has a year round IPA called HopLanta! Look for HopLanta in 1/2 barrels, 1/6 barrels and 6 packs. Be sure to look for it in stores and restaurants near you!
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 481 | Reviews: 88

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.84/5  rDev +5.5%

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as a single bottle from my local bottle shop. "Bottled on" date on bottle is illegible. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I poured it easily as this is a naturally carbonated beer and I didn't want to disturb the yeast layer.

In general, this tasted like one of my old, homebrewed IPAs where the hops fade and I'm left with a caramelly tasting, bitter beer.

Appearance - Deep gold to copper color. Color is a little darker than I like for IPAs. As mentioned previously, I gently poured this from a bottle so most of the yeast sediment stayed in the bottle. Consequently, the head was not that large and dissipated quickly. Very few bubbles rising through the beer.

Smell - Not what I expected from an IPA. Smells of caramel malts and alcohol "heat" dominate; very little hop aroma.

Taste - Flavor mimics what I'm smelling. Caramel notes up front which are quickly covered up by the alcohol heat I pick up. The hops are backseat, if present, which leads to an unbalanced IPA... unbalanced away from hoppiness.

Mouthfeel - This is a very sedentary beer. There isn't much activity of CO2 releasing through the glass. Instead, the beer tastes over carb'd in my mouth. This may be due to my gentle pour. Beer seems to have a medium body.

If someone gave me another one to try I would be happy to but I will not be buying another. I hope my bottle was an old one and not what the brewer intended as an IPA.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I did make the perfect pour,but this massive inch and a half thick,tightly knit eggshell colored head. Amber golden hued with a bit of cloudiness and some light suspended sediment. Brussels lacing. Not much in the way of hop aroma. I get some pale malt. The taste reminds me of an extra special bitter with light hopping and plenty of delicate malt. Mouth is over carbonated and chalky.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red Brick Hoplanta from Red Brick Brewing Company