Red Brick Hoplanta - Red Brick Brewing Company

good

Red Brick Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Beer added by: Thur123 on 11-27-2011

It’s Hoppier then a bullfrog with a stubbed toe: Yup, you read correctly. Red Brick now has a year round IPA called HopLanta! Look for HopLanta in 1/2 barrels, 1/6 barrels and 6 packs. Be sure to look for it in stores and restaurants near you!
Ratings: 503 | Reviews: 97
3.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: very pale amber colored with lots of head, but it disappears rapidly. 4--5

S: Very little here at all. A slight lemony citrus smell, and some apricot, but besides that, its rather weak. 2.75--5

T: Very strong neutral resinous hop bitterness. A small bit of apricot as well. Very drinkable as well, but their is something off here that I cannot quite place down. 3.75---5

M: Very thin and watery with a nice carbonated bite. Easy to drink,but it needs a bit more body. 3.25

o: Not a bad beer at all, but their are much better options for the price. I enjoyed this 12 oz bottle, but I am not sure that I could enjoy another one. Id say that if its on sale or discounted at happy hour (or a bar deal) its easily worth a try, but I would skip this one at full bar price.

3.75---5

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Cloudy, dark amber color. Looks unfiltered. Nice 1 finger head with pretty good lacing.

S- Sweet grapefruit, orange, pine, and caramel.

T- You're hit with some sweet, lightly sour, citrus and malt up front. Pine, grapefruit rind and slight resin almost immediately joins the party as you swallow. I love the how the bitterness balances the sweetness.

M- Medium body. Lightly oily and drying.

O- I generally prefer sweeter IPAs, but the piney bitterness of this one was really nice to me. It wasn't overpowering, but it flirted with it. It was strong enough to be the dominant sensation, but subtle enough to let the other flavors be known. I wouldn't have any problem drinking this again.

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Too much residual sweetness andesters. Not my cup of tea

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Had the chance to try a couple of Georgia breweries recently and I would put this IPA in the top third from what I have tried. I have found a common taste thread in a lot of these beers that I think can be attributed to the water utilized. This one is worth a try if on tap but nothing worth going out of your way for.

A: Nice color with some legs to it; lighter than I would've originally thought.
S: Nothing special
T: This is where it distinguishes itself from some of the other breweries (e.g. Sweetwater). I was looking for some more hops and really found this flavor profile more muddy than most other IPAs.
M: this sits a little full and heavy for my liking.
O: As far as GA IPAs go this one is pretty good but nothing to look out for.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours slightly less than clear with a barely off white head that has very good
retention with decent side glass lacing.
Aroma: Leads with Citrus and pine nut hops.
Taste: biscuit malts lead up front providing nice balance with the citrus like malts. Hops are
moderate and do not dominate the up front malts. Ends with a hoppy bitter finish.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hop Lanta is an orange/tan colored beer with a cloudy body and a mildly citrus- like nose. The frothy off- white foam holds its own for a decent amount of time, but does settle down and it makes itself comfortable while leaving some lace.

This beer has a flavor of bread, citrus/orange, pine, and toast. The bready malts balance out this beer to a greater degree than others, making it a good choice for those who do not like or have grown tired of the over- hopped west coast style IPA. The flavor here bounces back and forth between citrus/fruit and bread/biscuits.

Big, hoppy IPA are nice from time to time, but there is nothing wrong with a more balanced IPA and that is what you get with Hop Lanta. The wording on the label exaggerates the hop flavor- it is not as extreme as the label leads you to believe. It is actually balanced out with the malts and made into an agreeable, more refreshing IPA that would make a good summer beer.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden with off white head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell is floral hops with mild hints of citrus. Not a hop bomb at all.

Taste is sweet malts up front with mild citrus and bitterness in the finish. Seems more plain pale ale than IPA, but good.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and very drinkable. Medium to heavy carbonation.

Overall this was good. I like a little more hop punch, but I would drink this again.

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Hazy, opaque body that is amber in color. Sea foamy light beige head, a half inch of which is really sticking around. It's also leaving some nice lacing on my glass.

S: Floral perfume, bitter grapefruit citrus. Fermented apple juice. Subtle grape juice and dare I say communion wine? A little breadiness at the end. It's growing more and more complex as it sits in my glass. Let's see if the taste matches.

T: The taste just isn't as good as the smell. It's bitter without much else. A little maltiness and yeastiness up front and I'm getting a little grapefruit and supermarket grape juice across the middle but it mainly just spreads bitterness around the sides of the tongue and it sits on the back of the tongue. I know that it's "hoppier than a bullfrog with a stubbed toe," but I've had beers that I would imagine have higher IBUs than this one (they don't list what the IBUs in this are) that manage to balance more effectively.

M: Sticky. It really hangs around on the tongue. Medium bodied.

O: Stick your nose in the glass and smell this beer and you'll instantly be in a good mood. The taste leaves some to be desired but it's a decent IPA...just needs some serious balancing.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Many thanks to ahlthe3rd (Hugh) for the chance to taste this one. Always down to taste something new and hoppy! "Hoppier than a bullfrog with a stubbed toe". Awesome. Poured from bottle into my Victory tulip. Pours a super cloudy yellow/orange color. Lacing on this is phenomenal- all over the glass. Smell- citrus grassy hops, nice blood orange and grapefruit aroma, tropical mango/papaya. Really nice aroma here and great appearance. Taste- not what I was expecting from the aroma at all. A blast of bitterness is there, but it almost is mingled with a peppery/smoke flavor? A bit of astringency and possibly some plastic flavors on the end, but not a huge detractor to the beer. Super grassy hops here, it really dominates the flavor. This is a pretty interesting and unique beer.

3.99/5  rDev +9.9%

A new locally brewed IPA, picked up at FPBS in Athens. Bottle states: "Hoppier than a bullfrog with a stubbed toe."

The smell is piney and bitter fruit hop aromas. The malt is not too present in the nose. The yeast floats around in tiny clusters evenly throughout the body of this brew.

The flavor is better than expected given Red Bricks 16 year history, but they have made a bunch of changes in the right direction lately (IMO). This tastes like a much dryer and more pine bitter IPA than say Sweetwater or Terrapin offerings. It finishes crisp and only slightly bitter compared to it's up front resin and sharp grapefruit flavor due to a clean and somewhat sweet malt base.

The mouthfeel is fine, neither too thick or heavy.

Overall I'm happy this offering is around. A locally made fresh IPA that offers a different take on the style is needed in GA and I believe it would hold up elsewhere as well. It's a bit on the bitter side when I think IPA, but it's also a nice change.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Unfiltered golden yellow 1 in white head with great lacing

Nose: Golden raisin with some light hops and some caramel

Taste: Light fruits and a clean malt, could be more here, with a spicey hop finish

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, definitely sessionable.

Overall: This is a good IPA, very drinkable

A much younger me rated this beer 2.5, and I'm coming back to give this beer a better rating. Back then I thought it was so bitter that no one would ever be able to drink it. Now I think it is a nice, solid IPA.

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Living in GA I try anything that Red Brick or Sweetwater comes out with, this is a solid IPA that I would order again.

Appearance- Pours a copper color, I had this on draft and it had a decent head on it.

Taste- I tasted more hops that I did citrus which is always a plus for me.

Overall- Worth the try.

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

bottle into duvel glass

appearance: cloudy burnt orange with 1 finger white head, lots of lacing

smell: bitter earthy hops, apple, floral, some citrus, lemon, very subtle grapefruit

taste: follows the nose, eas expecting it to be more bitter by the smell, and it is a decently bitter beer, but it's a lot more balanced than I expected. Surprisingly smooth, this seems to be like a very underrated beer. Lots of floral notes with a lemony/apple like body that ends very refreshing.

mouthfeel: pretty thin body and average carbonation

overall: Pleasantly surprised buy this random buy at the beer store. Surpassed whatever expectations I had, this is a very very well balanced IPA with some great floral earthy hop action, but to overly bitter, just enough to satisfy a hophead but could also appeal to people who don't like the really bitter IPAs. Very refreshing beer, goes down really smooth, highly drinkable, will be buying again.

2.81/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Harshly hoppy and bitter. Not a session beer. Probably not going to drink again.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy orange.
Smells very sweet. Like biscuits and honey, like pineapple hops. Tastes much more bitter than it smells. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's full flavored, not watery, and it's hoppy. It's got less of a malty presence then it smells like it would. Tasty though, would have it again. I wonder what it's like on tap.

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy light orange, large fluffy off white head,

S: Sweet malts, floral hops

T: Floral hops hit the tounge right away, astringent bitterness on back of the mouth, I get a slight malty sweetness but not nearly as much as I suspected after the smell

M: Medium, good carbonation

O: A pretty decent IPA. Nothing overly exciting but I would have again given the chance.

2.59/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

New formula isn't any better unfortunately.

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured this one into my Palm snifter glass. No date on the bottle can be seen with the naked eye--but I picked up a six-pack anyway because I've had it before and loved it and I also like to support local breweries.

Appearance: The finger head dissipates to an acceptable skim leaving a decent amount of lacing. The body is a cloudy, murky, brassy affair that looks unfiltered and that's something I really appreciate.

Smell: I notice a pleasant earthiness to this. We have a touch of caramel here, along with a hint of citrus hops, but nothing like your average West Coast style IPA, aroma. This smells more like an English IPA.

Taste: Rich, and well balanced, with the caramel malt up front and then slapped back with a lemon peppery bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: This is decent brew, that I will come back to from time to time. Hopefully I"ll be able to find it on tap somewhere around town.

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ruby red grapefruit flavor that finishes bitter & dry.

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into an IPA glass. The liquid is a dark copper-amber color, and has some nice little floaties suspended in it. Hopefully those are hop particles.... The pour produces a nice-sized head with good retention and lacing.

Aroma is hops with a noticeable malt backbone. Hops are piney and citrusy, and I feel like there's a bit of resin in there. The malts are bready and lightly toasted. It smells nice and balanced, which is good, but there's nothing in the aroma that really grabs me.

Flavor follows the nose. There are some piney and citrusy hop flavors, and some nice bready malt, but nothing particularly memorable. If I didn't know better, I would think that maybe it was old, because there's no bottle-dating and the hops are pretty muted, but I got this bottle just after they changed the label, so I'm sure it was bottled in the past two weeks.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, with a lot of carbonation. Tiny bit of lingering bitterness.

Overall, it's drinkable, but not one that I'd probably ever choose again. I think this recipe is pretty old, and I have to admit that I'm partial to the newer, hipper IPAs, so maybe it's just personal taste...

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

Can date 3-25-15. Threshold Beer Glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark gold with lots of sediment and floaties. 1 finger just off-white head, turns to a modest cap; very good retention. Some visible carbonation, but hard to see through all the sediment. Excellent lacing.

Aroma: Very sweet and citrusy. Fruit punch. Would not be surprised if this is hopped with Mosaic.

Taste: Dry, resinous and bitter arrival. Piney. Gasoline and resin across mid-palate - where is the sweetness I smelled? Big bang of bitterness at the ending, and lingering medicinal/piney. The fruit was only on the nose, there is no fruitiness or sweetness anywhere on the palate. Amazing in the contrast between aroma and taste.

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side of midweight. Fairly light on the carbonation. A little astringent on the finish.

Overall: Definitely a bold IPA. If I lived in Atlanta, I'd probably drink it fairly regularly. But it's not available where I am, and there are better examples of the style to me. Bitterness was a bit harsh. A pretty good IPA.

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured refrigerator cold into two pyramidal wine glasses. Consumed over 15 minutes.
A: Downright chunky debris, swimming opacity on a bubbly orange
S: Orange, bready. Hops more obvious in the flavor than the nose.
T: Early flowers droop into spice, but the whole taste folds early with late emergent bitterness. With warmth, there is a background of caramel apple that smoothes out the final sips some.
M: The chunks make one fearful of the impending feel, but there is an astringent zing of metallic fizz that’s holds interest.
O: Not thrilling, with a consistently bitter end that spoils it some on its own and what food one might add alongside. But not uninteresting—glad we met.

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Homebrew day beer. Picked it up for 8.99 at Kriger. Never had this local brew out of Atlanta.

A - The first thing I noticed after the glass was poured was the junk floating all in the beer. I've had beers - that I later found out were spoiled - that had floating things in it. Definitely not something you would look for in a beer. Other than that the head is just big enough to appear creamy and the lacing is all up the glass as I'm sipping it. Sticky sticky beer. Let's hope the floaties are normal for this brew.

S - Swett malts up front with slight frutiness following. Right now I don't get much hop on the nose. Smells really sweet and creamy. The anticipation!

T - The taste is sweet as well...particularly the aftertaste. The hops are less floral and grapefruity and more spicy. It leaves your mouth with a tiny little burn that you'd get from eating something on the spicy side but not meant to actually be spicy. First thing you notice when you drink this beer is the bitterness (obviously), but there's a really nice sweet malty finish that glides in there while the bitterness lingers...it's that ever-present battle between the grains and hops. They want your palate! It's really good, although I generally prefer the more grapefruit-tasting IPAs. West Coast IPAs, right? It's good...all those floaties are probably unfiltered goodness from the mash/wort, the brewers left in there cause they FREAKING CAN.

O - I like it. It's not my favorite, but it's not going to be the last time I drink this brew. If it's available at a local restaurant/pub/bar here in ATL you might find me sipping on one of these...you might. BUT, I have had better. Those "betters" will go unnamed - being that I have not yet reviewed them on BA. I will.

Out of 100 total "goodness" point I rate Red Brick Hoplanta a solid 89.

Stoutish

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an orange copper color nice head smells nice, hoppy clean. Taste is of light pine, citrus (lemon), really nice hop character, even getting some notes of iced tea in there. Mouthfeel is easy drinking and something I could drink a few of. Is it my fav IPA ever no is it something that I could session and have a few of? absolutely. Will buy again and really liking the overall ATL IPA scene these days.

Red Brick Hoplanta from Red Brick Brewing Company