Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: LongBeachHopHead on 08-11-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 937 | Hads: 1,626

I loved this beer. It poured a light brown/orange color with a small amount of carbonation and a nice light tan foam. The smell had a nice hoppy, sweet character to it with hints of peach and apricot. It tastes like hops, but is well balanced so they do not dominate. It also is bitter and dry. I certainly would say this beer has great drinkability - it smells sweeter than it tastes and it tastes hoppier than it smells. I love the very dry mouthfeel to the beer and equate it to a very dry red wine.

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass from a growler purchased at Green's off Piney Grove in Columbia, SC. It is only about 3-4 weeks after kegging... I can't wait!

A: Cloudy orange amber color with a good off-white head and haevy, fluffy lacing that clings solidly all over the glass. It takes the bubbles about 5-6 seconds to reach the top of the glass from the bottom. Is it thick, or what?

S: Citrus and heavy pine with some earthy undertones. Mild caramel sweet smell is also present.

T&M: BALANCED! Hops galore, but well-balanced. Mild hemp tasting. Bold hop bitterness with a juicy flavorful middle and semi-dry, dry, dry, dry finish. Herbal, citrus and piney all rolled into one!

This is a great beer if you love hops. This is so well balanced for a 'heavy hop' lover though. It isn't too sweet from the malts and just malty enough to let those hop tastes bust out without ripping your mouth dry like the Sahara. Much better fresh as opposed to the bottle that is rough as all get up and go. This is incredibly SMOOTH!

This is the real thing, folks. Make no doubt about it. I'm honored to be only the 2nd reviewer of this gem. Sorry I don't have a picture of the bottle. It's a fern green colored painted on label that reads Moylan's 2005 Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale. On the back is written "In celebration of the hop...this is a hop tribute...worthy of a king..." It's every bit of that. It pours a subperb, thick frosty root beer-like head with lacing that lasts forever. The hops is a "blast" of Tomohawk, Cascade and Centennial. It's a perfect blend of malt and hops. It's the hop heads' dream. It weighs in at 9.2% alcohol by volume, so go easy. It reminds me a bit of Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, but definitely of the bold, hoppy West Coast style. It's hops on steroids! Wow. I can't imagine anyone brewing a better West Coast-style Imperial IPA than this. Until now, I don't think I've ever given a beer a perfect score.

A: Poured a dark amber color with a nice frothy head. Color is a pretty clear and head is a nice cream color about a finger width thick.

S: Smells awesome! Very hoppy and sweet, I would compare the smell to Hopslam.

T: Upfront very hoppy taste with various spices and some slight bitterness. Taste is carried through with some honey sweetness. Don't pick up a lot of malt flavor, just straight up hops I would say.

M: Beers runs pretty smoothly across the pallet, followed by a bitter finish carried by some resinous hops. I would say the mf is quite nice!

O: I really enjoy this beer, if your looking for a straight up hop beer this is a good one to enjoy. I think this beer is enjoyable, but probably not for everyone, good for when your having a major hop craving ;)

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

22 oz bomber picked up at La Bodega in Riverside. Neat all-green etched artwork on bottle gives tribute to the hop monster that lies ahead.

Glassware - Magic Hat Pint

Pours a magnificent dark orange with a light tan head that sits on top of the beer like silk.

The smell...wow...truely amazing. A pure hop explosion (centennial, cascade, and tomohawk) hits your nostrils like ammonia. This smells like one of my super-hopped homebrews.

The taste is big, juicy and surprisingly balanced. Blasts of grapefruit and pine hit up front with a sweet and smooth malt trailing behind. Goes down way to easy and at 9.2% could be a game ender!

This is one of the best Double IPAs that I've had in a while. I'm dreaming of trying a cask version of this down the road.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Poured from bomber a cloudy orangish/amber color. 2 finger frothy white head, good head retention.
S: This is probably the best smelling beer out of a bottle that I can remember. Hops, hops and more hops. Very citrusy. Smells like good weed.
T: Huge hop flavor, this beer tates very fresh. Nice citrusy/hop flavor, not too over the top bitter though.
M: Near perfect carbonation, slightly dry mouthfeel
D: This beer is nearly perfect in every way possible. I only wish that I could buy it up here in MT. One of the best beers I have ever had I do believe. Thanks to GClarkage for this awesome beer!!

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Had this out of a 25oz bottle

A- I have no idea why people even put this in the rating, I don't look at a beer for long enough to determine if it's good looking or not. It doesn't have tits so I'll just go ahead and drink it instead of looking at it.

S- Very floral, that is about the only thing I can detect.

T- Great, much better hop presence than most IIPAs, not uber-bitter for the sake of being bitter, more of a floral hoppiness with a hardly perceptible high abv.

M-Very light, watery almost, with a bit of fuzz at the end.

D- I could drink it all night.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Poured into a tulip glass a light golden orange with a two finger whate head. Goof lacing. Smells strong of floral hops, very strong. The taste is much the same, strong. A nice hop bite up front that leads to a sugary sweetness and no bad aftertaste. Very smooth for such a strong flavor. The sugary sweetness tends to stay on my lips, which I love. This is a very drinkable IIPA, when the price doesn't come into your decision of drinking it or not.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

22 oz, thanks Chadd!

A - Poured a deep copper, very carbonized with a white, foamy head. Almost non-existant protein clumps. Head dissipates fast, gorgeous lace on this beer though, wow.

S - Pine, citrus pineapple, almost like a tropical fruit punch. My mouth is watering from the hop explosion I get to taste.

T - Notes of damiana, orange, pineapple, butter, pine needles, and california yellow grapefruit. Just a cluster-**** of balanced, individual hops. Wow!

M - Slightly bitter, but it tingles on the tongue with sweetness. Great flavor, you can still taste it on your lips afterwards.

D - The worst part was that it was sitting in my fridge for so long. How much freekin' self control do you expect me to have? This is one of my all-time favorites and there will be plenty more to drink down the road.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Amber in color, nice head that fades quickly

T - HOPS. World class in displaying the style

M - Perfect carbonation and mouthfeel for an IIPA

D - If this beer were available to me I would drink it quite often. While you probably wouldn't want to session it, it's a masterful beer. It's just different then most IIPA's and makes for such a memorable experience.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Serving type: 22oz bottle poured hard into a large mug at 45 degrees F.

Appearance: Dark amber orange with thick sticky lace. Holds a nice 3/8" - 1/2" frothy ivory head for a long time. Very decent looking brew.

Smell: Honey, orange, ruby red grapefruit, & pine. Also nice floral scents that add to the almost hypnotic experiance. A hop lovers dream come true!

Taste: Super hop dryness with sweet malt under tones. Grapefruit peel with crisp pine flavors. The superb hop bitterness smacks you taste buds clear out of your mouth. A world class DIPA!

Mouthfeel: Medium - thick, creamy, with gentle carbonation and tangy refreshing crispness.

Drinkability: Its solid ABV of 9.2% and world class flavor make it a very enjoyable sipper not a guzzler.

This fine brew is one of the best DIPA's that I have had the pleasure to enjoy! Cheers my Hop loving brothers!

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow, a lovely attack of hops as soon as I uncapped the bottle. Pours solid, deep gold with a slow-rising head that barely pulls above half an inch and is ashy white (not as bad as it sounds) in color. Smell: deep and thick waft of hops: pine resin, grapefruit, lemon, fruit cake! some melon juice sweetness in there as well -- huge! Taste: wow, so sweet upfront, like biting into a fresh slice of honeydew; around each edge of my palate come two strong slugs of piercing hop love, followed by a third wave of bitterness straight up the center of my tongue and around the roof of my mouth, backed up nicely by a caramel malt sweetness. This is a monster. Mouthfeel is light, but just heavy enough. Plenty carbonated.

For such a beast, this is well-balanced.

I should note, yeah, I feel some alcohol heat going down, but it's so well masked under the killer onslaught of hops and that perfect malt backbone.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer pours a very slightly cloudy golden color with a brown tint. It boasts a thick fluffy off white head that fades ever so slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

A very strong grassy hop aroma is present. Wow, it smells good. Some piney and floral hops mix in also. The hop aroma dominates and masks any possable malty aroma. Very hoppy.

Wow, this beer tastes good. It tastes exactly like it smells. Very hoppy. Grassy mostly, but some pine and floral hops are present also. It has a citrus flavor also. As with the aroma, no malt is present.

This beer is very full bodied. It leaves a strong grassy aftertaste. Carbonation is good.

This beer is not a session beer. It is very aggressive, and it is high in alcohol.

Overall: When I say this beer at Hollingshead's, I was so excited to finally get to try it. I was not at all let down. This beer is great. I hope to find it again in the future.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

Color: sits clear, slightly burnished copper

Smell: glorious hops! piney, citrusy, leafy, dank hops. and tons of it. very light malt presence rounds it out a little and adds some clean sweetness

Taste: anything in your mouth that is fleshy is immediately assaulted with intense bitterness. raw, citrusy, grassy, piny hops peek through the brutal onslaught. the alcohol is well hidden, even in the finish, which is mostly dry with a lingering bitterness that most IPAs wish they had to begin with.

Mouthfeel: low-medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: brutal IPA. only the brave should attempt to finish a whole 22oz. if youre a hophead, this is for you.

how can they ask you to rate DRINKABILITY on a brew like this? of course its not drinkable!

From Notes: 11/17/08
Moylan's Brewing Co. Hopsickle Triple IPA, Double IPA?
22 oz. Bottle, 9.2% abv.

Appearance= Vigorous pour yields a small 1/4" head. Dark side of Hops!... Color I mean. Typical deep color, opaque looking. Deadly.

Smell=HOPS!!! Very strong on the nose. moist resiny goodness.

Taste=Hops! grass, pine and a lil' citrus. Fabulous. If you like mowing the lawn with your mouth, this is your beer.

Mouth feel=On the thicker side. Full Mouth feel.

Drinkability= Really drinkable. OK, I'm lying. I've had this beer so many times, it's easier to drink every time. I will say this: as easy as it is to drink (the flavor is awesome) the bottle goes down slower as it progresses. This beer, more than any, you feel the 9.2% after you're done. You could have told me it was 10, 11, 12% and I would have believed you. Top 5 beers for me. I will serve this at my funeral.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

Wow, this is definitely the most bitter and hoppy beer I have ever had. This blows ruination away, achieving new levels of blatant hoppiness. Hoppy Halloween to me.

The lightly copper colored brew sits beneath a healthy head that sticks and lasts.

Hop explosion in both the nose and the mouth, citrus, pine, mint, bitter, bitter, bitter. Excellent. Definitely hop-forward, but the malt back is almost strong enough to hold this shit in...at 9.2 that just seems crazy to me. Hoppy.

Mouth is bitter, commandingly so, puckering like a good sour, but backed with a citrus and pine blast. Medium body, surprisingly dry finish. Nice.

Excellent, a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Excellent beer, highly recommended.

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip - 2007 vintage served at cellar temperature

Appearance: This beer pours a clear copper color with lots of orange to it. There are golden highlights as well. The head reaches one inch and is off-white in color. It is thick and foamy and leaves lacing on the glass when swirled.

Smell: The aromas are excellent. Strong grapefruit, with some lemon and orange. Maybe a little pine, but this is a grapefruity hop assault. I can actually smell a sugary malt base. Very floral as well.

Taste: Quite a hoppy ale for sure. This is what you'd imagine DFH 120 to taste like. Syrupy hop oil with a strong grapefruit taste. Wow is the flavor intense. The bitterness lingers, and has a pine needle burn. This is as good as it gets for hopheads. No complaints here.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and sweet, but not cloyingly sweet. The hops are way over the top, which is a good thing. Malt does have a slight presence, and this one is mouth cotaing. The body is thick. Bitterness is way over the top too, but that is the intention here. Alcohol is there, but seems less than 9.2%.

Drinkability: Awesome. This is pure hop nectar at its finest. This is the beer your stop at in your conquest towards an IBU monster. I would love to imbibe tons of this stuff to see if I would stink like hops for a week. I am glad I tried this, and will be purchasing tons of it when I see it next. What a huge hop bomb!

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Wowzas! This is a hop bomb.

There were huge floaties in the bottom of the bottle, I thought it might have been infected, thankfully it wasnt. The pour reveals a dark copper color with good clarity and a smattering of meandering bubbles. A dense ivory head lasts a good while and coats the glass in lace sheets. The aroma is pungently citric with pine tar and crushed aspirin in tow. Malt is pretty much AWOL in the nose. An initial blast of high alpha bitterness clears my nasal passages on the first sip. Thick, resiny hops resound and mock the diminutive malt profile.

As the beer warms more biscuity notions emerge but this beer is hops first (and almost only). Alcohol is pretty much imperceptable The mouthfeel is thick and coating with wonderful hop oils. Hop bitterness abounds in the finish. Hop burps ensue for at least an hour afterwards.

This is a truly awesome DIPA, hoppy even for a west coast IPA. An amazing elixir.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

This is just...delicious beer.

A: Sort of typical. It looks like beer. Nice lacing, etc.

S: Hops. Good stuff.

T: Exceptional. By the third sip I was deeply in love.

M: Milkshake good. No thinness or any trait whatsoever that isn't exactly right on the nose to how you want it to feel.

D: Top shelf. I could drink this night and day and never feel like I was missing out on something better.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

I'm quite sure I've got the right beer here, mine just had a paper label not painted on like in this picture.
My 22 oz. bottle poured a pale golden color with a superb white head that left GREAT lacing. The lace remained long after the glass was empty.

The aroma was hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, and did I mention hoppy?
The smell was very fresh and floral.

Hoppy all the way with maybe a little bit of malt sweetness in there somewhere. A bitterness is left in the back of the mouth. The hops settle just a bit (but that just makes it super hoppy instead of mega-super hoppy), as the beer warms allowing a little maltiness to show through

This DIPA tastes phenomenal! I just hope you can handle the hops... I know I can.

Creamy and smooth in the mouth, and the hops dance on the tounge with a good amount of carbonation. I'm suprised that the hops don't make this beer feel more harsh at the swallow.

A great beer for hopheads! Hopsickle is dangerously drinkable at 9.2% ABV (you can't even tell). As hoppy as it is you could still easily drink another after the first... or third. This is probably the best DIPA I've ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Opaque medium gold with an off-white head. Good lacing, nice retention. Looks like it should.

S: Extremely fragrant northwestern hops. Mega grapefruity with a flowery smell. Tangier than many IPA's smell.

T: Barley and intense hops give this one a very strong flavor. The hop flavor is so strong it almost numbs the mouth, but in an awesome way. It's like drinking hop essence - literally. One of the strongest IPA's I've had. The alcohol, while high in content, is completely tasteless with the overtones of bitter hops, which is also awesome.

M: Fairly heavy-bodied, syrupy (hop syrup), a little astringent. Carbonation just right.

D: Danger: easy to drink a lot without thinking you're drunk. Goes down super smooth, especially considering the ABV. Intensely refreshing, but the bitterness makes you want to drink more after every gulp.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A-Pours an crystal clear rich copper color with a creamy medium sized off white head that has very good retention and excellent lacing all the way down the sniffer glass it's in. Thoroughly beautiful glass of beer.

S-And there's the smell... I think it's the most amazing hoppy smell I've ever smelled, EVER! It starts off with a very floral, candied grapefruit, bright lemon citrus juice along with some pine characteristics to boot! There are some alcohol aromas, but it's not hot at all. There also is a slight caramel malt note in the aroma too. Very exceptional.

T-This is a hop bomb indeed. This is exceptionally hoppy indeed. The flavor is indeed bitter. Seems clean to me, with a nice grapefruit and pine flavor with some caramel malt flavor underneath.

M-This has a huge creamy mouthfeel that has a slightly dry finish. As it's in my mouth, it coats my mouth well, but it's not cloying of coarse because this is a IIPA after all.

D-This beer is very drinkable for how high the abv is. This goes down very smooth. I highly suggest this wonderful beer. Thanks Jason for this great thoughtful gift!

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

22 oz brown bomber, no freshness date.

A- Pours a bright Golden orange haze of hops with hints of red when held up to the sun. 1 1/2 finger off white head with good lacing.

S-HOLY HOP BOMB! Smells like a handful of the finest freshest hops with a hint of sweetness from the caramel malts. I dont want to take my nose out =).

T- Starts off Bitter with taste of grapefruit rind and pine sap exploding everywhere! gets sweet from the malts as it warms a little, an attempt at balance. Amazing hop assault, might be the best tasting IIPA ive had to date.

M- Thick, slick, and resonous from the hops. moderate carbonation matches the slickness of the ale and makes it very drinkable.

D- This might be the best tasting thing ive ever laid my lips on. I could and would drink this everyday if i were a king. Good drinkability for 9.2%

Hop Heads rejoice!

4.84/5  rDev +18%

This is a top five beer of all time. I just picked one of these beauties up and totally forgot how much this actually 'tickles my fancy.'

The appearance is the worst thing about this brew. It is a light copper color, but with this head that accompanies it, damn well is some sticky icky. It pours with a finger and a half head, but the head is so thick and sticky that it leaves disgusting lace around the glass. Alright!

The smell is absolutely outstanding. There is nothing else that you smell other than sweet sweet hops. I am going to be honest. I would shower in this brew. I would put this in my wife's breastmilk to feed my children. I think we should ship this overseas to end war and start world peace.

The taste is ground breaking. Hops. That is not it, but it is the most overwhelming characteristic in this one. Showers of hops all around just cannot deny that this is one of my all time favorite. I think that I could drink it any day of the year. I could have it cold or warm, day or night. The trio of hops put into this thing just boggles my mind.

It is drinkable and presents a great mouthfeel. In the end, "I just want to put my dick in it!"

Great brew from a great brewery.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a pint glass. Color is a nice amber with lacing that sticks tightly to the glass with a new prominent ring forming from every sip. Smell is like standing under the canopy of a pine tree forest, sticky pine needles and sap oozing out of the trunks of the trees. Taste is very piny and bitter, balanced by crisp malts. Mouthfeel is creamy and good, drinkability is great.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery