Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
tsauce2

1.63/5  rDev -60.3%

P: Both on tap and 22 fl oz bomber

A: SRM is amber. Clear. White head pours 1 in. and fluffy. Dissipates to 1 cm head.

S: Very bitter and astringent nose. Some citrus notes.

T: Each sip was more and more bitter, and not in a good way. Very abrasive to the palate.

M: Medium body, hops left very bitter taste, not allowing the palate much more than intense bitterness.

O: I know what TIPAS & DIPAS should taste like. I have had Nugget Nectar, 120, Hopslam, Oracle, etc. Have also heard that this beer varies widely from year to year; when it's good it's fantastic, when it's bad it's horrible. This years was horrible. Each sip was more bitter than the last, when I tried to chug it I almost hurled b/c the bitterness was so intense.

10-22-2011 05:20:45 | More by tsauce2
jmbraxton

Alabama

08-19-2012 01:22:55 | More by jmbraxton
dasenebler

Maine

2.1/5  rDev -48.9%

Bomber with no bottling or freshness date. Pours a murky, medium-dark amber with a nice thick head, very good lacing and retention.

Aroma is pretty piney, but I'm disappointed with the lack of hop juiciness and fruitiness. There's a weird burnt vegetable thing going on as well.

Ok. This beer is just inappropriately bitter. I like big DIPAs but they need to have juicy hop flavor as well. This one really skimps in that area, unfortunately. It has a lot of pine, I'll give it that, but it also emphasizes those weird, vegetal hop flavors--garlic, onion--that I'm just not a fan of. It has a lot of malt weight and thickness, but that almost makes this beer worse, as the drink becomes increasingly laborious due the combination of huge body and astringent bitterness. First beer I've come across that is simply too big. Tragic.

I finished a bit and am debating whether to drain pour this bottle. I don't think I'm buying anything from Moylan's for a while. (Down the drain it goes. Ouch, that hurt.)

08-06-2010 21:38:02 | More by dasenebler
adamette

2.1/5  rDev -48.9%

Poured from a bomber that I found at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, OH about 10 days ago. I was consious of drinking this one reasonably soon due to its hop profile (keep it fresh!). Poured into my clean, clear Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. After reading a recent thread on hoppy beers I saw this in the store and wanted to taste it. Consensus was that this is the most bitter hoppy beer out there.

A Nice generous head that I aggressively poured to get. It was about 2 inches and stuck around for several minutes and never did dissipate before I took my first sip. The body is a nice translucent orange with no observable cardonation rising up. I suppose the bubbles that formed the head have already rised up.

S Hops but there is a suprising sweetness (is that possible?). I do not smell alcohol but that might be because it is covered up by all of the hops.

T As advertised, a bunch of bitter hops. The stinging "essense of grapefruit" bitterness hits you in the front and stays with you way through to the aftertaste, some 3 minutes later I can draw a mental picture of a hop plant and I feel as if my mouth is full of a bunch of chunks of the most pungant grapefruit. Several minutes later it felt as if my eyeballs were afloat in a mxture of this beer and normal eye fluid. This is not an experience that I would like to repeat.

M Full with that biting, bitter hops taste.

D Not good as it is a one note beer.

Notes: I cannot imagine nor would I wish for any more hops taste or smell in a beer. I am glad to understand that (at least to those contributing to that thread I was reading recently) there is no more hopped up beer than this one. I am glad to have tried it, none the less. I enjoy trying extreme beers of which I think this is one.

01-06-2009 01:37:30 | More by adamette
DogFood11

2.17/5  rDev -47.2%

Bomber poured into a deep pilsner glass it forms a nice solid, tight, off white head that leaves plenty of spider like lacing. Light copper color. 9.2%abv and reads " Moylan's hopsickle imperial ale, triple hoppy".

Quite citrus hoppy in the nose, and translates to the taste as well. I get some musky wet cardboard. Similar to a wet towel that is left out to air dry, stale and bland at times. It is a "hop bomb" by my definition. Unbalanced is to be expected for the style but this really has no counter punch whatsoever. Resin, stick to your teeth type brew. Finishes very dry.

Notes: Not for me fellas. I love me a good IPA, DIPA, etc, but Ill pass on this one.

05-14-2006 06:19:32 | More by DogFood11
drewba

2.2/5  rDev -46.5%

A - clear, shimmery yellow-orange, looks great. Head is fairly minimal and white, but has all different sizes of bubbles.

S - You can tell this is a beast of a hoppy beer from the smell - seems like more than enough grapefruit and sweet sticky pine. The malt is definitely in the aroma - some cracker and bread. I'm also getting some alcohol presence.

T - Flavors come in waves - from a medium hop presence to wildly, harshly bitter towards the end. Wave #1 has lots of pine, lemon and grass, this wave is short yet sweet. Wave #2 is where the malt is introduced in some pale malt and bread and is also where the bitter starts creeping, with some sweet, sticky pine hop presence coming in. Finally, Wave #3 is the decimator of mouths: the pine and grapefruit steps in and scrubbed my mouth with a...wait for it...Hopsickle. There is a lot of flavor going on, but it finishes so harsh I can't taste any of the other nuances thanks to the colossal amount of bitter. I was going to say that the Alcohol was hidden very nicely, but I think its really just a matter of me being beaten TO DEATH with hops and my tastebuds couldn't taste any alcohol heat if they wanted to.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation, pretty satisfying.

D - Again, the bitter is nuts. My palate is wrecked. For me, I don't want anymore than a few ounces, but if you're a hop head and enjoy beers in the same vein as Ruination, this is for you.

TLDR: I'm a girl when it comes to super bitter hop bombs.

01-04-2011 01:50:31 | More by drewba
gaffm

03-29-2012 23:30:32 | More by gaffm
Samaurer23

07-29-2013 20:47:53 | More by Samaurer23
Greencoat

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

Bottle I picked up while in Texas. Was sold refrigerated, hopefully it's fresh.

A: Pours to a clear rusty color with a pillowy, two finger beige head. Slowly dissipating.

S: Smells like either a) I got an older bottle or b) Moylan's forgot to dry hop this sucker. I'll hope that scenario "a" is the case, because this smells like a beautifully aged barleywine. Lots of crystal malts - not exactly the lupalin blast I was hoping for.

T: At this point I'm *really* hoping I was sold an older bottle because this is pretty far from "tripple hoppy" as it's billed. Sure, it's bitter, but nearly all hop flavors have subsided and left me with a sugary sweet mess.

M: Like drinking honey then biting into a lime. Very thick at first and then you're left with a very bitter bite. Interesting.

O: It's pretty evident to me that I'm drinking a too-old bottle of this beer. I hope. This thing is far too malty and sweet without anything but bittering hops. If I were to have brewed this, I'd keep it away from my friends' lips.

However - I will give it another shot and re-rate whenever I have the chance. Until then, color me unimpressed.

06-23-2011 03:06:56 | More by Greencoat
UDbeernut

2.3/5  rDev -44%

Bomber poured into snifter

A; amber color, slightly cloudy. Decent half inch head with decent retention

S: sweet carmel and pine/ cirtus hop

T; surprisingly sweet front until the hops hit like a sledge hammer. Alochol is noticable

M&d: slightly butter mouthfeel, hoppy flavors are alomst undrinkalbe to my palate. I have sampled a good deal of Imperial IPAs lately, and I find thid one the least drinkable.

01-31-2009 00:39:47 | More by UDbeernut
wheelinshirt

2.38/5  rDev -42.1%

Excited to try this one after it was recommended by a friend as 'the hoppiest beer he had ever tried.' Picked up this 22 oz bomber from Abe's in Bethlehem for $6.25. Poured into a pint glass.

Clear amber color with some light tan head, moderate and somewhat disappointing retention but left lots of lacing. Smell was a loads of american hops and booze, not as varied and pleasant as i had hoped for, and not enough malt to balance it out.

The taste is even more out of balance. Tons of hops, very bitter, not pleasant or enjoyable. Struggled to finish the whole bottle, but i didn't want to pour it out so i just took my time with it. Not recommended, even for hopheads. This one just doesn't deliver a pleasant experience, too unbalanced. I wish i had picked up a Bear Republic or Hoppin Frog bomber instead.

01-20-2008 18:35:18 | More by wheelinshirt
salvo

2.42/5  rDev -41.1%

Moylan' hopsickle is a disappointment: neither hoppy nor sweet as the name implies.

I may have hooked on to an older keg at the Bling Pig Bar in Champaign, IL, but I've heard lots of good buzz about this beer and so was looking forward to trying it when I saw t on BP's tap list. When it arrived, it was limpid, pale, and had a foamy head that quickly disappeared, leaving some oily residue. Taste was rather tame and simple. I figured, with the name "Hopsickle," there would be both a malt sweetness and sharp cutting hop edge. I thought it had neither. So perhaps I didn't get what I ordered, or got one of the last pints off an aging keg, or a soapy glass or something that put the beer off. I'll give the Hopsickle another chance first opportunity I have and will happily (hoppily) revisit this review, but until then, I recommend avoiding this beer.

02-01-2011 23:22:16 | More by salvo
HopJ

2.42/5  rDev -41.1%

I finally got around to trying the Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial Ale. I had heard good things and often love over the top hops but this one didn't work for me. Basically it had no balance (had 2 bottles out of bombers on different nights). Lots of hops but lacking other elements to help show them off and you are left with a bitter finish that easily lasts 10 minutes.

04-21-2010 17:39:32 | More by HopJ
bosco7

2.45/5  rDev -40.4%

This was one of my favorite beers but the last two bottles that I have purchased both tasted odd. Lots of pineapple, butterscotch, and bubblegum that dominate the palate and finish bitter. I am pouring this down the drain. I don't know what happened to this brew. Hope things change.

07-14-2007 03:15:07 | More by bosco7
Buebie

2.45/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a brown bomber with ne freshness date into a brandy snifter.
This has been cellard for 3 months in the fridge at 45 degrees.

Color is brilliant golden yellow with a copper hue. Hazy with no site lines through the glass.
2 finger fluffy white head. Retention is terrific with an assortment of bubbles just chillin in the fluff. Good amount of sticky white lace.

Juicy grapefruity hops, resinie earthy grass hops, hay, oranges, pine, sweet bread.

Overwhelming flavor of dry pine. No sweetness, like the nose would suggest. No malt balance, just pine hops and dryness, nothing else. Some hop pellet flavor, like I'm chewing on hop pellets. I like hops, but this is awkward.
Watery mouthfeel with an abundance of carbonations. Strange minerally aftertaste.

Everything was going great until I took a sip.

11-03-2008 23:57:17 | More by Buebie

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

12-29-2011 22:05:18 | More by Jaacob
TheodorHerzl

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

This beer pours an amber hue with three fingers worth of head on it. It left great lacing on my pint glass. The nose is pretty potent on this beer with the the hop cone being the sole focus. There is plenty of citrus fruit, grapefruit peel, earthiness, and sticky pine as well. I am not getting much in the nose in the way of malt though. My first sips of this beer is a fairly intense rush of bitterness followed by a slight bit of syrupy sweetness as well. The hop bitterness is hard to pin down and is all over the place. I get quite a bit of oily hops, citrus fruit, tobacco, pink grapefruit, and lots of sweet caramel trying to balance the flavors out. This beer is just all over the place, and after about eight ounces really became to much for me. I couldn't really pin down any of the flavors and the malt sweetness was completely separate from the over the top hop bitterness. The mouthfeel was slick and oily that was medium bodied with the alcohol quite present. The drinkability is only good for me for about six ounces of this beer, and after that fell off quite quickly.

I think of myself as a hop-head, but this was one of the most unbalanced and unpleasurable DIPA's I've had.

08-19-2008 23:57:33 | More by TheodorHerzl
JDV

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

Honey amber color with a medium light offwhite head. Smell is huge pine and soapy hops. Very aromatic and nice. Taste is wow, bitter.... Very piney, hoppy, and unbalanced to say the least. Not enough sweetness to make this pleasant or enjoyable at all. Too much hops for the malt used, and although the alcohol is very nicely hidden, this isn't very drinkable or pleasant. Chalky dry, intense bitterness. ugh...

02-24-2008 18:49:14 | More by JDV
mdogg

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

Bought a bottle of this at the downtown Chicago Binny's, and was very excited, as I've read good things about this beer.

Appearance: Nice head, with a nice amber color and nice lacing throughout. This is a good-looking brew.

Smell: HOPS, and nothing else. Citrusly, bitter, devastating hops. I actually sliced some strong cheddar after smelling this beer, because I was afraid of the bitterness to come.

Taste: Ugh. No balance whatsoever. Bitter, tangy hops on the first sip, and this insane bitterness never subsided, even as the beer warmed. Ridiculously unbalanced, and a true chore to drink.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel for this brew was thin and forgettable. Did noting to improve the beer in my eyes.

Drinkabilty: It was not easy to drink for me. I wanted to finish it, but my wife persuaded me to pour the remaining 8 oz in the drain to avoid the calories. I'm a big fan of hops, but I need some balance. This beer has absolutely no concern for balance, and the aspriny hop bitterness is too much for me. I'm hoping this is a bad bottle, but the downtown Binny's is a fairly new store, so I kinda doubt that's the case.

01-20-2008 05:28:55 | More by mdogg
LilBeerDoctor

2.63/5  rDev -36%

Reviewed on 10/7/08. Bottle. Pours a clear light orange with a small white, foamy head. Aroma of bitter grassy, garlicy hops and bitter grapefruit. Flavor is super bitter and a little too bitter for my tastes (even as a hop lover). The hop profile is a little off too. Not a fan of this one.
5/4/5/3/13 (3.0/5)

12-28-2008 15:28:58 | More by LilBeerDoctor
StoneTSR

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -33.6%

APPEARANCE: Hazy, cloudy and opaque orange color with only an eighth of an inch of head, despite a fairly aggressive pour on my part. The head settled quickly and there was not much lacing aside from a small ring at the top.

SMELL: Some faint hop and citrus aromas were present, but just like the appearance; orange was the dominating characteristic in the smell.

TASTE: This beer is all about the bitterness. There is some balance on the front end of the sip with mild malt flavors giving way to a wave of orange and citrus about halfway through, but that waves crashes suddenly and hops assault the tongue. For the first few sips this is a pretty great sensation, but about 6 or 7 ounces in it becomes so bitter and so dry that it is difficult to taste anything at all. There is zero balance at the back end or in the aftertaste.

MOUTHFEEL: I've written reviews in the past in which I have described certain beers feeling as if they ripped the taste buds off the tongue. In those cases that was a good thing. I like to have my palate challenged and pushed to the limit, but the complete lack of sweetness at the end of this eventually made it difficult to drink. I ended up needing a glass of water to get through.

OVERALL: I admire the aggression with which Moylan's brewed this beer, but I do believe they went overboard with it. I want a bitter IPA for sure, but I also want to be able to taste the whole thing, not just the first few sips. That said, any hop head should try this beer, you just might want to split a bomber with a couple friends.

12-07-2010 06:17:44 | More by StoneTSR