Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
PittBeerGirl

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Body is a bright slightly cloudy amber hue. Pours with a pretty scanty <1 finger foamy white head which quickly disappears completely. No lacing is left behind in the glass. I was very impressed by the color of this brew but not so much by the head.

S- Hello hops! A big, strong nose of piny hops, citrus hops loaded with grapefruit, and citrus hops loaded with lemon, orange, and mango completely dominate the nose. If there is anything else here I can't tell.

T- The initial flavor is just as bright as the smell. A big burst of hops dominates the initial flavor. Grapefruit, pine, and other citrus flavors come through strong. These flavors intensify for the finish and the bitter assault begins. Lingering on the palate is a medium residual hop bitterness, and the hop flavors described initially (particularly the piny hops...I do love Cascade hops). Malt and alcohol are well hidden.

M- High carbonation and regular medium weight body. With all the hops-I was expecting an oily and smooth body-but thats not the case here. Average, somewhat boring mouthfeel.

D- This beer is a one-sided hoppy mess indeed. A well presented one that I did enjoy-but I prefer balance to my hoppy beers. Not my favorite of the style, but one I will probably buy again. Above average overall.

02-20-2008 20:47:12 | More by PittBeerGirl
pershan

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

The beer poured a cloudy amber (had to dock it for this) with a big white, rocky head into a 12-oz pilsner glass. The aroma was big on fresh, fragrant hops. A HUGE hop flavor, with an intensely bitter hop finish -- nothing sweet in this brew -- possibly the hoppiest beer I've ever had. A very appropriate name -- good thing I'm a hop-head. If you don't like a lot of hops, then this is definitely not the beer for you. If, however, you want an intensely bitter, high-alcohol, over-the-top hops extravaganza, then this is the beer for you.

02-19-2008 18:20:15 | More by pershan
Kudashov

2.95/5  rDev -28.2%

22.oz bottle poured into my Spaten beer mug . No date on label . When poured the is a nice thick foamy head which reduces a tad to wonderful white lacing . Giant white craters left on the sides like whipped cream . Smells of lemon and citrus . This is being enjoyed with some Cabot Sharp Cheddar . Halfway through the bottle and there is no red warmth in my cheeks . When ABV on brews are over 8 there is some kind of "heat " in my cheeks . As the brew is sipped a few times it is realized that this is just an OK DIPA . Something is not right that I cannot put my finger on . Maybe the bitterness on the finish . This may the last time for the Hopsickle on my palate . 2 hours to finish should tell you that I had a tough time with it .

Oh and I have Jeff Gordon in the Daytona 500 at 5-1 odds with Fat Steve .

02-17-2008 22:07:26 | More by Kudashov
brdc

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks wasatch for this one. Large capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Be careful when you open it, this one foamed a lot, and a substantial amount was lost, although the kitchen smelled delicious!
Bright, dark orange with a (very) foamy off-white head.
Aroma is quite hoppy, as expected, fruity, with grapefruits, orange and others, but also some unexpected caramel maltiness - perhaps it is warmer than the average.
Quite full on the palate, it is hoppy indeed, and citric for most part, but quite well balanced, with a caramel maltiness, even sweetness alternating with that grassy, fruity hoppiness, and finishing quite dry. Despite some obvious alcoholic notes, it is not in your face, and quite pleasant as a whole.
This one is better balanced than the average, and despite the hop assault, it is not only hops. Very good indeed.

02-17-2008 03:38:29 | More by brdc
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Translucent amber liquid, slightly darker than Hopslam if I recall correctly. Giant, tight off white head with great retention and leaves big sticky lumps on the glass.
S: Very strong, dominating hop presence. Behind that a little sweetness, citrus, floral, but hops are huge.
T: Bitter, dry, grass, hops....wow. The hops are the first thing to hit and then a strong citrus, grapefruit like bitterness is in the middle before a dry, hoppy aftertaste. Nowhere near as sweet as Hopslam or Nugget Nectar or as smooth as Pliny. Also the 9% alcohol makes an appearance in the finish from the beginning and only gets stronger. Despite this, the beer is never too overwhelming from the hops or alcohol, but definitely ruins the palate for anything else the rest of the night.
M: Nearly fully body, slightly creamy, dry finish and moderate carbonation.
D: At first I thought this was great and I'd be fine finishing it but getting into the second half of the bottle wasn't nearly as pleasant as the first half. It's a great hoppy beer, but I'd prefer a little more floral, pine, citrus, etc anything to balance the hops a little

02-14-2008 01:55:44 | More by yourefragile
Philabeerphia

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

appearance: crisp & golden. dense and short head, micro bubbling it eventually gave way as the brew warmed.
Smell: cascade hops, gin-ey and piney, something medicinal going on. raw and sharp on the nose, bold... underpinned by just a hint of honey. reminds me of being on a hike in the mountains.
Taste: unforgiving hop, bitter immediately but especially at the back of the mouth. Malt and Alcohol is becoming pronounced as this warms. Dry and earthy. Dominated by weeds and grass, but again, the malt is there in the middle.
MF: lightly carbonated and light on the tongue, rinses itself, leaving only the hop on the tongue and throat. My tastebuds are done for the night.
Drinkability: I would only drink one in a sitting. I've had other hop monsters that I've found more balanced and enticing.

02-13-2008 04:57:04 | More by Philabeerphia
toddhett

District of Columbia

2.98/5  rDev -27.5%

First the good:

The beer pours with a nice caramel-copper color with wonderful off-white head. There's nice lacing on the glass, and the beer smells great. Huge citrus aroma with something else (I'm trying to figure out what that is) lurking in the background. Based on sight and smell and the amusing name, I think that I am going to love this beer. As I am dumping our milk bottles down the drain -- assuming that i will pour this beer on my cereal -- I start to drink it.

I will give Moylan's points for flavor. There is a huge, overwhelmingly-bitter flavor to this beer. It's as if they boiled a county's worth of Pacific coast hops and dumped then in a bottle. The aroma is great, but the bitterness is a bit much for me. I think that it needs to be balanced with more malt. I respect what they've, done, but the beer needs more balance for me.

02-10-2008 22:37:42 | More by toddhett
bboven

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Medium copper color, slightly hazy due to dry-hopping, thick head that lasts and lacing that covers the glass in thick rings. Beautiful.

A blend of hop aroma that comes together as a low-intensity, but high volume type of aroma if that makes sense. The hops are mellow but there in droves, I guess. There is also a good amount of malt that shows up here.

Sweet malt at the very beginning, but then all hops. Even the hops have a sweet layer to them in this beer. Hugely bittering at the end and it's amazing.

Moderate carbonation, which I suppose serves to lift some of the hop oil off your tongue, but it's a bit much. Just a bit. I'd love to have this out of a cask.

Amazing beer, but I'd like to see a little more malt to balance it a bit better. That would probably kick it up to 11-12 ABV, but... That being said, great beer, great experience. Get some.

02-03-2008 20:34:39 | More by bboven
mattster

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Opened 22oz bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Pours a 1.5" thick bubbly off white head atop a light amber hazy brew.

Smell is very hoppy. Slight metallic smell. Obviously, taste is very hop forward with faint hints of citrus and a sort of piney earthiness.

Bitterness is present, but almost to overwhelming and it leave it with a funky finish, otherwise, this brew is an IPA lover's dream. Just smooth out the finish some.

02-03-2008 07:53:00 | More by mattster
agbarr

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Bought a bomber of this for $5.49 which I considered to be quite reasonable.

I love hops and this beer did not fail to deliver them. This beer is for those that think they cannot get enough hops. When I poured the beer the citrusy sweet scent hit me immediately.

The flavors are complex but get lost due to the overpowering bitterness. For me personally, it left me wanting less bitterness so I could taste the other flavors. However each additional sip is enjoyable. Not the best Imperial IPA that I have had but an exceptional buy at this price point. I will drink this beer again when in the right mood.

01-31-2008 01:52:53 | More by agbarr
mixylplik3

Maine

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

If there was ever a hop bomb, this is it. I'm a hop junkie like many, but I have to be in the right mood for this one. This is a delicious hop bomb.

Pours a rich amber color with a fluffy white head. The smell is a mix of pine and citrus and the heavy hop presence will singe your nose hairs. After an initial "sweet" flavor, the piney rush hits the palette. The bitterness is apparent, if not overpowering. This is not a beer I'd want to start my night with.

This is a heavy, hop-saturated brew. If you like excessive hops, this beer is for you. If you don't want your senses assaulted by earthy, bitter hop taste then look elsewhere. I love the overpowering hops which is why this beer is on regular rotation in my beer fridge.

01-30-2008 20:04:36 | More by mixylplik3
boogles

Kansas

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

An interesting beer--too bitter, but lots of depth. I usually don't like the overly bitter characteristics of overhopped IPAs, but when there is enough depth that the beer evolves, I do like it--and that is Hopsickle.

Pours a deep amber with a reddish hue, not crystal clean and just a hair of sediment, which stayed in the bottle. Thick bubbles rising in the center had me worried, but the mouthfeel turns out to be really good.

The nose is complex--initially it's grapefruit, but there's plenty of pine, burnt pine, plastic, alcohol, medicine ... not all are good, but that's what makes it interesting.

In these cases, I often have trouble picking out the flavors or enjoying the blend. It was kind of like that. But this was a good, exceptional beer, and I'm glad I paid whatever I paid for it. Worth trying again.

01-29-2008 04:16:18 | More by boogles
dedrinker

Kansas

2.85/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

hazy orange/ amber with a French vanilla colored head. This one starts off with serious grapefruit rind on the nose and then WHAM! Straight up rubbing alcohol and more grapefruit. Not in a good way. I tasted band-aids (unused) more alcohol, more hops, more general first-aid kit flavors and aromas. medium-full body and the finish is a reprise of all the harshness that came before. Congrats - another cumbersome hop and booze monster. Attention all American craft geeks: Can we move on?

01-29-2008 03:28:15 | More by dedrinker
alexsess

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

OH how I love HOPS this ones great for those who like a little kick with their beer!!! This beer is the most flavorful brew i`ve ever tried .Did I saw I love Hops...? Oh how I love the HOPS oh how I love the Hops oh how I love the hops oh how i love the hops.

01-27-2008 23:12:02 | More by alexsess
blakesell

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian wine glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a golden amber with a huge three finger high head of foam that dissapates first in the middle, then on the sides. Head is eggshell white and does not cling to the glass all that much.

Smell- Whoa! Now there are some hops! Big floral, soapy, piney, and herbal hops flood the nostrils and after more insistant sniffing, gain more peachy and light malty tones.

Taste- Hops with very little malt balance. The label lists Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Ahtanum, and Chinook. I would be inclined to agree. I'm not too familiar with Ahtanum, but all those others are pretty high on the alpha end and this is so strong I'm afraid I may get some blisters on my tongue. After the beer lingers it has more fruity sensations, but the malt never really appears. Hop juice all the way. There are also light fruit sensations but primarily citrus coming from the hops. Grapefruit, orange, lemon. A very tart beer.

Mouthfeel- Bitter, warming, medium carbonation, and slight astringency.

Drinkability- I'm not sure I can finish the bottle, but I will sure as hell try on this hop monster. If I found it on tap I would try it because I am adventurous, but I'm not sure I will persue this too much again.

01-27-2008 20:18:57 | More by blakesell
Fishdawg71

Utah

2.85/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Color was nice deep golden to almost amber. Poured a nice thick whit head. Aroma, Big citrus hops,Love the smell..
Taste: HUGE hops...Too much for me.. I like a good double IPS but this triple IPA was too much for me. I feel this beer was out of balance..Not enough malt,even with an ABV of 9.2% the hops completly over powered this beer. This is a beer to be experienced but by my judgement not to be drank more than once or twice. Just too bitter and not enough malt.

01-26-2008 07:28:29 | More by Fishdawg71
NCSUdo

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, thanks to BeerRun13

A: Pours a clear deep amber under about a half to a whole fingers worth of head. Some specks of lace and decent retention.

S: Smells of a big piney hoppiness, some hints of citrus, with a decent caramel malt backbone.

T: Hop bomb. Big piney and citrus hops, hints of mint, this may have Hop 15 beat for the most bitter beer I have ever had. Some malty undertones and the slightest hint of alcohol. The earthy hop presence is unreal, and honestly, maybe a bit much for me.

M/D: Medium bodied, carbonation is just right, oily. Drinkability is actually pretty good on this one. Aside from the fact that the bitterness is a little over the top for my personal taste, it is very easy drinking.

01-26-2008 01:07:02 | More by NCSUdo
ejquin

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Nice rusty orange color with a white head. Not real thick. Good lacing.

S: Pure grapefruit and caramel malt. Slightly creamy and musty with floral notes. Not very complex but very nice.

T/M: Hops. Bordering on overpowering. But very fresh and crisp. Blanced a bit with some molasses and carmel. Creamy mouthfeel. Again, slightly musty and herbal finish. Hides alcohol relatively well.

D: Obviously due to the extreme hopiness, your not going to be able to put too many of these down, and as it warmed, it got a bit too much for me.

Ovr: This is obviously meant to be an over the top beer. It's all about extreme hopiness. However, there is a decent balance there to me. It's not perfect. It could use some more of a malt backbone. But that wouldn't be the point, would it? I had this with an aged cheddar and it was a nice match, though the beer slightly overpowered it

01-25-2008 01:24:31 | More by ejquin
hoegaardenhero

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

a: nice copper/amber body; little bit of off-white head has no retention but that is kind of expected in a high alcohol beer like this

s: very fragrant with lots of bitter skunky hop and citrus hops scent; hints of sweet caramel malts in there as well; really frarat and delicious

t: great blend of hop flavors, it's all here: citrusy and piney; there is a strong punch of bitter hop flavors at the end but the sweet toffee warmth of the malt flavors really balances it out well

m: nice and smooth, very light carbonation

d: the beer is really delicious and hoppy; definitely a must for hopheads; the flavors are really strong/rich so it could be easy to overdo it but overall really good

01-24-2008 01:30:30 | More by hoegaardenhero
OWSLEY069

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a orange-ish/ yellow color with a tan head. In the aroma, big piney hops and a small hint of citrus. In the taste, big piney hops, sweet to dry. A small bitter mouthfeel and piney hops in the aftertaste. Big hops and hides the alcohol very well.

01-23-2008 12:22:33 | More by OWSLEY069
BeerZack

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle, thanks to MiguelMandingo

Pours a light amber, cloudy orange color with a fine bubbly head that leaves decent lace.

Smells like a hop blast. Grapefruity citrus and woodsy pine dominate, with hints of pineapple and tinge of aspirin.

Some light caramel and bready sweetness up front, then Hopsickle takes off- citrusy, but mostly a woodsy and earthy flavor impression. Aggressive bittering finish, almost coming off aspiriny, but the malt background stands up pretty well.

Nice creamy soft mouthfeel in this hop bomb.

Drink it if you need to. I need two.

01-21-2008 20:03:44 | More by BeerZack
sfoley333

Brazil

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle from PP bottle shop. Poured into glass mug. Apperance is golden amber orange color with thick white head, very foamy. Smell is hoppy pine resin scent, with grapefruit and pineapple. Taste is very bitter with a herbal hop flavor of pine and citrus rinds with a malt semi sweetness. Mouthfeel is light to medium body with a mellow carbonation feel. Taste and alcohol level makes this beer less than a very drinkable ale.

01-21-2008 05:04:26 | More by sfoley333
wheelinshirt

2.38/5  rDev -42.1%

Excited to try this one after it was recommended by a friend as 'the hoppiest beer he had ever tried.' Picked up this 22 oz bomber from Abe's in Bethlehem for $6.25. Poured into a pint glass.

Clear amber color with some light tan head, moderate and somewhat disappointing retention but left lots of lacing. Smell was a loads of american hops and booze, not as varied and pleasant as i had hoped for, and not enough malt to balance it out.

The taste is even more out of balance. Tons of hops, very bitter, not pleasant or enjoyable. Struggled to finish the whole bottle, but i didn't want to pour it out so i just took my time with it. Not recommended, even for hopheads. This one just doesn't deliver a pleasant experience, too unbalanced. I wish i had picked up a Bear Republic or Hoppin Frog bomber instead.

01-20-2008 18:35:18 | More by wheelinshirt
DavidEddie

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Golden amber in appearance with lots of sticky lacing. Smells of tropical fruit (mainly pineapple) and malt. Tastes of strong bitter hops and malt. Grapefruit flavors dominate. Mouth feel is medium bodied and slightly sticky. The drinkability is fair, for such an unbalanced hop bomb. The name "Hopsickle" fits this one well. If you are a fan of hops, then this one is a must try!

01-20-2008 06:13:20 | More by DavidEddie
mdogg

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev -36.7%

Bought a bottle of this at the downtown Chicago Binny's, and was very excited, as I've read good things about this beer.

Appearance: Nice head, with a nice amber color and nice lacing throughout. This is a good-looking brew.

Smell: HOPS, and nothing else. Citrusly, bitter, devastating hops. I actually sliced some strong cheddar after smelling this beer, because I was afraid of the bitterness to come.

Taste: Ugh. No balance whatsoever. Bitter, tangy hops on the first sip, and this insane bitterness never subsided, even as the beer warmed. Ridiculously unbalanced, and a true chore to drink.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel for this brew was thin and forgettable. Did noting to improve the beer in my eyes.

Drinkabilty: It was not easy to drink for me. I wanted to finish it, but my wife persuaded me to pour the remaining 8 oz in the drain to avoid the calories. I'm a big fan of hops, but I need some balance. This beer has absolutely no concern for balance, and the aspriny hop bitterness is too much for me. I'm hoping this is a bad bottle, but the downtown Binny's is a fairly new store, so I kinda doubt that's the case.

01-20-2008 05:28:55 | More by mdogg