Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a hazey and deep rusty copper. Very sluugish makin there way through the bitter hop syrup. Just a little head after the first pour, followed a little lacing stuck on the sideof the glass and a filmy foam. The aoma is a complex hop bouqet. Flowery, citus zest from lemons, nectarines, and grapefruits. Givs you a great idea of whatsto come with the first sip. Th first sip is a no-nonsense front of hops. Lots of grapefruit rinds, then syrupy orange zest, herbal flowers. Very little malt is noticedwith this hop bomb.The paate is a bitter explosion of hops. Strong upfront, then very slowly,from the middle to the back. Recedes to a mild bitterness that mixes with the warm alcohol at the very back of the palate.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A gorgeous crystal amber pour with a nice, sticky white head.

S: Heavy pine aromas on the nose, following through, allowing some citrus rind aromas to follow through on the finish. Pretty huge,

T: Pine resin, similar to the aroma. Almost like chewing on pine needles in an attempt to squeeze juices out of them. Big flavour, as suggested by the scent, almost strong enough to start tasting by approaching the mouth. There's a TINY almost caramel maltiness that peeks through, but otherwise, this is huge hops from start to finish.

M: Rather oily and slick... though I'd expect that much. Full, with a nice lingering aftertaste going on.

D: This one mellows out nicely as it sits for a while, but it's still a pretty big flavour with a big ABV to go with it. Taking it slow here, but the bigger hopheads may feel a bit more tempted to indulge more!

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Fluffy white head stays around for a awhile and sits atop a slightly hazy amber-golden liquid. Sheets of lace coat the sides of the glass.

Ok - this is one hoppy smelling beer. Loads of citrus (ruby red grapefruit),pine, herbs, and wild flowers. A vague fruitiness abd mild malt sweetness aroma peak out for a moment. Other than that, it's all mouth watering hops.

With the first sip you know this is a beer for the masochist in you. Big and bold bitterness with a juicy middle. Hops kick it off and stay throughout. There is grapefruit flavor in a beer, and there is this beer thats starts is grapefruit juice. Floral, piney, herbal and faint tobacco flavors come next. Pure mouth puckering hoppiness in every sip. There is a nice maltiness, just like a fresh baked French baguette, that steps in and attempts to balance the hops. The most it can do is slow the pain. Finishes with lingering spice. Alcohol is well hidden at first, then kicks in half way through the bottle adding warmth and fruit.

This beer is an assault on the taste buds. Medium in body and smooth, but very tingly on the tongue. Thinner than expected. I've heard of beers decimating the palate, and now I've had the pleasure. I really like this beer and it drinks too easy between all the hops and alcohol, but I don't think I'd ever pop open another bottle.

Hail the biggest and baddest pure hop bomb I've had to date. No disrespect to Stone, but I'm not sure if I'm worthy.

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottled, consumed on 01/31/08.

Pours a slightly cloudy hue of golden honey. Nice off-white head a finger thick. Massive aroma of grapefruit hops. Mouthfeel: a little thicker than water. Surprisingly malty with a buttery character, though the hops burst into the mouth immediately with a bitter piney splash and stick around forever and a day. Fairly well-balanced, considering the style.

If you like hops, this is the beer for you.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cognac clear color with a nice sticky persisting lace. Hops are right up front in the nose, not unlike many other hop bombs. The taste continues with the hops, but quickly merges with a hard thick complex malt flavor. It took a few sips before I could reconcile the combination of these flavors, but eventually as the beer warmed a little, it seemed to work. Reminded me of a DFH 90 minute with an infusion of NW hops (DFH 90 mixed with Ruination?). The mouthfeel improved as the beer warmed and the carbonation continued to help mix the different flavors in the palate. The drinkability is not great because of the strength and weight of the liquid. It is certainly a sipper. I would buy it again.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

1pt 6oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: The intial pour is a beautiful milkly amber and orange with a creamy inch and a half head that fades into a quater inch cap in a five minutes or so, the lacing is not thick but what lacing there is looks incredibly sticky and hints at the powerfuly sticky and bittering hoppiness that this beer has in store, the only knock is that the head wasn't as thick and the not as retentive as I would have hoped for to get a perfect score.

S: The smell is not suble at all but who cares it is a goddamn hop explosion, the grapefruit, pine, nuttiness, lemon and orange peel are all mingling together in incredibly decandant ways, it is truly something to behold.

T/MF: This is perhaps one of the bitterest beers I've ever tasted. And that is not a bad thing, a hot pine and grapefruit flavor dominates but there is a very fruity sweetness that entices the tip of the tongue and makes that bitterness just barable enough to go back again sip after sip, the finish is incredibly long and piny and you can just feel your tongue seizing up and shrinking when you are drinking this beer, incredibly active mouthfeel, very rich very bitter, everything you would expect.

D: Damn tasty but the drinkablity suffers a bit because it is just the tadest bit too bitter for my tastes and might benefit from more of that interplay of the sweetness I experienced when I first tasted the beer, but still a beer that you should make a point to try.

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Served in a 22oz bomber I got from beergeek. Poured into a standard pint glass. Moderate amount of foaming. No apparent lacing. Appearance was cloudy deep golden. Beer was cloudy when poured but as it warmed it cleared up. Aroma was terrific. As soon as the beer was poured you could smell the hops in the room. Smell was a complex bouquet of hops. I could pick out the Simcoe and Columbus.
Taste was very bitter. I could feel the hops permeate my very being. Finish was extremely bitter. Mouthfeel was a bit light for a 9% ABV. Also, the oily feel from the hops was apparent.
I give this a low drinkability. I had trouble finishing my sample , much less a whole bomber of this. Way too unbalanced.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Deeply hazy orange body is completely opaque. Level three finger slab of just off-white micro micro bubbles. Excellent lacing.

Big assertive pine and citrus aroma, heavy on the oranges with a good dollop of grapefruit.

Thick sloppy slap of sweet malt crashes across the tongue, running for its life from the mounting assault of juicy fruity and oh so brillantly bitter hops. The hop aftertaste lingers long after...like until morning.

Good mouthfeel overall, though it feels a bit messy at times. Drinkability is in the "can't get enough" vein.

A hoppy monster that will scour the tongue. Sure its unbalanced, DIPAs should be. Sad to see this case end.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark gold in color with a nice off white head. Plenty of stick lacing is present on the sides of the glass.
Smell is all hops, citrusy and floral. Taste is both juicy and mouth puckering. Hits you with the citrus juice up front, then rips the back of your tongue apart with an abundance of bittering hops. There is no doubt about the hops in this one. I can safely say that this is the biggest assault on my palate by hops that I've ever had. It's a tad one sided, but you're expecting that when you buy. Nice hop bomb.

2.7/5  rDev -34.5%

Honey amber color with a medium light offwhite head. Smell is huge pine and soapy hops. Very aromatic and nice. Taste is wow, bitter.... Very piney, hoppy, and unbalanced to say the least. Not enough sweetness to make this pleasant or enjoyable at all. Too much hops for the malt used, and although the alcohol is very nicely hidden, this isn't very drinkable or pleasant. Chalky dry, intense bitterness. ugh...

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Body is a bright slightly cloudy amber hue. Pours with a pretty scanty <1 finger foamy white head which quickly disappears completely. No lacing is left behind in the glass. I was very impressed by the color of this brew but not so much by the head.

S- Hello hops! A big, strong nose of piny hops, citrus hops loaded with grapefruit, and citrus hops loaded with lemon, orange, and mango completely dominate the nose. If there is anything else here I can't tell.

T- The initial flavor is just as bright as the smell. A big burst of hops dominates the initial flavor. Grapefruit, pine, and other citrus flavors come through strong. These flavors intensify for the finish and the bitter assault begins. Lingering on the palate is a medium residual hop bitterness, and the hop flavors described initially (particularly the piny hops...I do love Cascade hops). Malt and alcohol are well hidden.

M- High carbonation and regular medium weight body. With all the hops-I was expecting an oily and smooth body-but thats not the case here. Average, somewhat boring mouthfeel.

D- This beer is a one-sided hoppy mess indeed. A well presented one that I did enjoy-but I prefer balance to my hoppy beers. Not my favorite of the style, but one I will probably buy again. Above average overall.

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer poured a cloudy amber (had to dock it for this) with a big white, rocky head into a 12-oz pilsner glass. The aroma was big on fresh, fragrant hops. A HUGE hop flavor, with an intensely bitter hop finish -- nothing sweet in this brew -- possibly the hoppiest beer I've ever had. A very appropriate name -- good thing I'm a hop-head. If you don't like a lot of hops, then this is definitely not the beer for you. If, however, you want an intensely bitter, high-alcohol, over-the-top hops extravaganza, then this is the beer for you.

2.96/5  rDev -28.2%

22.oz bottle poured into my Spaten beer mug . No date on label . When poured the is a nice thick foamy head which reduces a tad to wonderful white lacing . Giant white craters left on the sides like whipped cream . Smells of lemon and citrus . This is being enjoyed with some Cabot Sharp Cheddar . Halfway through the bottle and there is no red warmth in my cheeks . When ABV on brews are over 8 there is some kind of "heat " in my cheeks . As the brew is sipped a few times it is realized that this is just an OK DIPA . Something is not right that I cannot put my finger on . Maybe the bitterness on the finish . This may the last time for the Hopsickle on my palate . 2 hours to finish should tell you that I had a tough time with it .

Oh and I have Jeff Gordon in the Daytona 500 at 5-1 odds with Fat Steve .

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks wasatch for this one. Large capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Be careful when you open it, this one foamed a lot, and a substantial amount was lost, although the kitchen smelled delicious!
Bright, dark orange with a (very) foamy off-white head.
Aroma is quite hoppy, as expected, fruity, with grapefruits, orange and others, but also some unexpected caramel maltiness - perhaps it is warmer than the average.
Quite full on the palate, it is hoppy indeed, and citric for most part, but quite well balanced, with a caramel maltiness, even sweetness alternating with that grassy, fruity hoppiness, and finishing quite dry. Despite some obvious alcoholic notes, it is not in your face, and quite pleasant as a whole.
This one is better balanced than the average, and despite the hop assault, it is not only hops. Very good indeed.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Translucent amber liquid, slightly darker than Hopslam if I recall correctly. Giant, tight off white head with great retention and leaves big sticky lumps on the glass.
S: Very strong, dominating hop presence. Behind that a little sweetness, citrus, floral, but hops are huge.
T: Bitter, dry, grass, hops....wow. The hops are the first thing to hit and then a strong citrus, grapefruit like bitterness is in the middle before a dry, hoppy aftertaste. Nowhere near as sweet as Hopslam or Nugget Nectar or as smooth as Pliny. Also the 9% alcohol makes an appearance in the finish from the beginning and only gets stronger. Despite this, the beer is never too overwhelming from the hops or alcohol, but definitely ruins the palate for anything else the rest of the night.
M: Nearly fully body, slightly creamy, dry finish and moderate carbonation.
D: At first I thought this was great and I'd be fine finishing it but getting into the second half of the bottle wasn't nearly as pleasant as the first half. It's a great hoppy beer, but I'd prefer a little more floral, pine, citrus, etc anything to balance the hops a little

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%

appearance: crisp & golden. dense and short head, micro bubbling it eventually gave way as the brew warmed.
Smell: cascade hops, gin-ey and piney, something medicinal going on. raw and sharp on the nose, bold... underpinned by just a hint of honey. reminds me of being on a hike in the mountains.
Taste: unforgiving hop, bitter immediately but especially at the back of the mouth. Malt and Alcohol is becoming pronounced as this warms. Dry and earthy. Dominated by weeds and grass, but again, the malt is there in the middle.
MF: lightly carbonated and light on the tongue, rinses itself, leaving only the hop on the tongue and throat. My tastebuds are done for the night.
Drinkability: I would only drink one in a sitting. I've had other hop monsters that I've found more balanced and enticing.

3.05/5  rDev -26%

First the good:

The beer pours with a nice caramel-copper color with wonderful off-white head. There's nice lacing on the glass, and the beer smells great. Huge citrus aroma with something else (I'm trying to figure out what that is) lurking in the background. Based on sight and smell and the amusing name, I think that I am going to love this beer. As I am dumping our milk bottles down the drain -- assuming that i will pour this beer on my cereal -- I start to drink it.

I will give Moylan's points for flavor. There is a huge, overwhelmingly-bitter flavor to this beer. It's as if they boiled a county's worth of Pacific coast hops and dumped then in a bottle. The aroma is great, but the bitterness is a bit much for me. I think that it needs to be balanced with more malt. I respect what they've, done, but the beer needs more balance for me.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Medium copper color, slightly hazy due to dry-hopping, thick head that lasts and lacing that covers the glass in thick rings. Beautiful.

A blend of hop aroma that comes together as a low-intensity, but high volume type of aroma if that makes sense. The hops are mellow but there in droves, I guess. There is also a good amount of malt that shows up here.

Sweet malt at the very beginning, but then all hops. Even the hops have a sweet layer to them in this beer. Hugely bittering at the end and it's amazing.

Moderate carbonation, which I suppose serves to lift some of the hop oil off your tongue, but it's a bit much. Just a bit. I'd love to have this out of a cask.

Amazing beer, but I'd like to see a little more malt to balance it a bit better. That would probably kick it up to 11-12 ABV, but... That being said, great beer, great experience. Get some.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Opened 22oz bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Pours a 1.5" thick bubbly off white head atop a light amber hazy brew.

Smell is very hoppy. Slight metallic smell. Obviously, taste is very hop forward with faint hints of citrus and a sort of piney earthiness.

Bitterness is present, but almost to overwhelming and it leave it with a funky finish, otherwise, this brew is an IPA lover's dream. Just smooth out the finish some.

3.74/5  rDev -9.2%

Bought a bomber of this for $5.49 which I considered to be quite reasonable.

I love hops and this beer did not fail to deliver them. This beer is for those that think they cannot get enough hops. When I poured the beer the citrusy sweet scent hit me immediately.

The flavors are complex but get lost due to the overpowering bitterness. For me personally, it left me wanting less bitterness so I could taste the other flavors. However each additional sip is enjoyable. Not the best Imperial IPA that I have had but an exceptional buy at this price point. I will drink this beer again when in the right mood.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

If there was ever a hop bomb, this is it. I'm a hop junkie like many, but I have to be in the right mood for this one. This is a delicious hop bomb.

Pours a rich amber color with a fluffy white head. The smell is a mix of pine and citrus and the heavy hop presence will singe your nose hairs. After an initial "sweet" flavor, the piney rush hits the palette. The bitterness is apparent, if not overpowering. This is not a beer I'd want to start my night with.

This is a heavy, hop-saturated brew. If you like excessive hops, this beer is for you. If you don't want your senses assaulted by earthy, bitter hop taste then look elsewhere. I love the overpowering hops which is why this beer is on regular rotation in my beer fridge.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

An interesting beer--too bitter, but lots of depth. I usually don't like the overly bitter characteristics of overhopped IPAs, but when there is enough depth that the beer evolves, I do like it--and that is Hopsickle.

Pours a deep amber with a reddish hue, not crystal clean and just a hair of sediment, which stayed in the bottle. Thick bubbles rising in the center had me worried, but the mouthfeel turns out to be really good.

The nose is complex--initially it's grapefruit, but there's plenty of pine, burnt pine, plastic, alcohol, medicine ... not all are good, but that's what makes it interesting.

In these cases, I often have trouble picking out the flavors or enjoying the blend. It was kind of like that. But this was a good, exceptional beer, and I'm glad I paid whatever I paid for it. Worth trying again.

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

hazy orange/ amber with a French vanilla colored head. This one starts off with serious grapefruit rind on the nose and then WHAM! Straight up rubbing alcohol and more grapefruit. Not in a good way. I tasted band-aids (unused) more alcohol, more hops, more general first-aid kit flavors and aromas. medium-full body and the finish is a reprise of all the harshness that came before. Congrats - another cumbersome hop and booze monster. Attention all American craft geeks: Can we move on?

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%

OH how I love HOPS this ones great for those who like a little kick with their beer!!! This beer is the most flavorful brew i`ve ever tried .Did I saw I love Hops...? Oh how I love the HOPS oh how I love the Hops oh how I love the hops oh how i love the hops.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian wine glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a golden amber with a huge three finger high head of foam that dissapates first in the middle, then on the sides. Head is eggshell white and does not cling to the glass all that much.

Smell- Whoa! Now there are some hops! Big floral, soapy, piney, and herbal hops flood the nostrils and after more insistant sniffing, gain more peachy and light malty tones.

Taste- Hops with very little malt balance. The label lists Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Ahtanum, and Chinook. I would be inclined to agree. I'm not too familiar with Ahtanum, but all those others are pretty high on the alpha end and this is so strong I'm afraid I may get some blisters on my tongue. After the beer lingers it has more fruity sensations, but the malt never really appears. Hop juice all the way. There are also light fruit sensations but primarily citrus coming from the hops. Grapefruit, orange, lemon. A very tart beer.

Mouthfeel- Bitter, warming, medium carbonation, and slight astringency.

Drinkability- I'm not sure I can finish the bottle, but I will sure as hell try on this hop monster. If I found it on tap I would try it because I am adventurous, but I'm not sure I will persue this too much again.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery