Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +16%

My bottle looks different from the one pictured above. I hope this is the same beer. My bottle says Moylan's hopsickle imperial ale.. triple hoppy. There is no freshness date but a 2006 award.

This beer pours a cloudy apricot color with a white head. The lacing on the side of the glass earns a "5".

The beer smells of hops. Some of the hops remind me of fresh green hemp. This beer smells sweet of summer temperate climate fruits like plumbs, apricots , and apples.

Tastes of oil laden hops. Hops so intense, that it is past hop bitterness. This will satisify all hopheads. Sweet like the smell too!

Moutfeel is semi thick with sweetness and bitter. a long lasting pine resin bite. And I mean bite. Not so much a bad thing as long as you are in a "hoppy" mood . :^)

This beer is just a bit over the top for my personal tastes. Over hopped. But that is what I expected!

A great Dipa...or TIPA..tripple IPA?

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz Bomber

Recieved from the great trader known as errantnight, thanks. Hopsickle pours clear copper with a mild chill haze. A two finger eggshell off-white head formed on the pour and fell to a half finger cap that does not disappear. A few streams of carbonation keep the head going.

Wow! This beer is dripping with resinous hops. There's not much malt coming through in the aroma but what's there is caramel and way in the back. This beer smells of straight up pine sap and resins. A few drops of grapefruit juice are mingled in there as well.

Damn this beer is a hop bomb! Exactly like the aroma with caramel in the back and a mouthful of pine needles and resinous hops. The sheer amount of hops in this beer will ruthlessly stomp on your tongue without mercy. Just the way I like things.

Body is on the heavier side of medium but has a nice creamy airyness on the tip of the tongue. Gets slightly heavier toward the backend and leaves a thick layer of bitterness all over the tongue and down the throat.

This beer is very easy to drink. My only reservation is the beating my tastebuds are taking. I'd hate to break open another bomber of this stuff and hardly be able to taste it.

Moylan's makes a hell of a IIPA, two of them actually. I sampled the Moylander in the past and from what I remember this is somewhat similiar in the hop profile. This may have a hanful more hops in the kettle but the flavors are similiar and both very good.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I never had this when i lived in Cali and am trying it now thaks to Monsone.

A-Pours a cloudy orange/brown. There are tons of particles floating about almost like a snow globe. the fluffy off white head has some serious staying power. the head is like an ice cream soda. Really nice looking. The only thing preventing a 5 is the fact that I have never seen so many things floating about and i am not sure how I feel about it.

S-Very 2xIPA. Citric hops dominate with tangerine and grapefruit coming to the forefront. There is a good malt backbone with caramel coming through.

T-A total hop bomb with balance. Similar to the smell, tangerine and grapefruit hops dominate first sip. Then you get some resinous pine and caramel/toffee style malt. The aftertaste gives the hop lover a blast of bitter and rich hops.

M-Sticky, thick and resinous. The head which is a fluffy beyod compare gives a wonderful opening upon each sip.

D-This is damned good. Thanks again for this beer in the 7-8-9-10 BIF. I wish this were available here on the right coast

4.45/5  rDev +8%

22 ounce bomber purchased for $4.59 from Cooke's Family Market and shared with my dad when visiting him this weekend

Poured into my Firestone pint glass with a cloudy golden color and a 1/2 inch soapy white head

This was my one of my first Triple IPAs and it was simply amazing, right up my alley as far as hop preferences go

Smell was filled with grassy-like hops, some grapefruit, and a little lemon scent

Taste was super bitter, very good though, dry bite at first and at the end, some orange but mostly tons of hops, tasted like beer literally in sat in pine needles after being brewed, most bitter beer I have ever had along with Hop 15, still have not had Pliny the Younger from Russian River yet though, heard that one is brutally bitter

Best Moylan's beer I have ever had, gotta find this on tap somehwere soon, but probably will not because it is only released in the summer time

Could drink this until the alcohol eventually caught with me and forced me to hit my pillow, great taste that does not get old, and not too heavy for being nine percent ABV

Highly recommended, but you better like hops and dry bitter aftertastes, yummy!

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer just won gold in the GABF, so let’s see how it holds up.

Pours an attractive amber color with a good inch of fluffy white foam. Little carbonation action after the head falls down to a thick ring but that ring remains well through the drink, with some good lacing as well.

Big aromas of grassy, pine, citrus, grapefruit hops. A good malt backbone as well, it also smells very sweet.

Taste is all about hop goodness, but there is also a robust malt presence that keeps this beer a little balanced. Hop profile is very similar to the aroma, grassy, citrus and pine flavors with a little biscuit and caramel malts upfront. The finish is dry and pleasantly bitter.

I still prefer the summer edition of Yulesmith but this Hopsickle is still a first class DIPA.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours apricot orange. Head is thick and sticky, sheets of lacing.

Aroma is resinous piney hop. Fruity with grapefruit citrus, and candy sweet caramel malt.

Taste is a hop onslaught. At first piney citrus, then awash in pungent earthy hop. Overshadowed is the sweet maltiness with brown sugar. Finish has lingering hop bitterness and a leafy green hop character that stays awhile. Slight warming sensation from the alcohol, but is well hidden given the ABV.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with enough hop oil slickness to coat your tongue.

Hop heads will love this brew. However, there isn't a great deal of balance so the uninitiated should beware. Dangerously easy to drink.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

A second try of this beer... this one should be quite a bit fresher than the last, let's see.

Pours a nice clear amber color, with a decent white head.

Aromas are of citrus fruits, pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. There are some pine notes as well. Certainly a hop forward nose on this one.

Taste is really bitter. Mineral and aspirin like, with a somewhat creamy and sweety fruit like malt finish. There is a definite bitter hop bite on the tongue that lingers. Balance is ok, but this is certainly a hop bomb.

Mouthfeel is good. This is thick, and long lasting on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is bit too strong and harsh for my tastes, but it's still a well crafted and interesting hop monster that is worth trying.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Clear amber brew with a monsterous frothy head with incredible retention. A ton of lacing all down the sides. Honestly, it isn't delicate like some beers with a denser head - but seriously, that is nitpicking.

S - Impressive hop aroma. Smells of hop resin mostly. Pine and grapefruit. A touch of floral (roses and other flowers) and a faint medicinal aroma if I look very hard. It is no Pliny, but it is nice.

T - Pine, grapefruit pith, biscuity. Aftertaste is a dry pithy bitterness. There is a medicinal character too - I can sort of taste it, but it doesn't bother me as it usually does in hoppy beers. Flavor is great - not a hint of the 9.2% makes an appearance.

M - Only drawback here. Thick and smooth, but it doesn't refresh - not because it is parching but because it gums up a bit in my throat and mouth. Still not bad though.

D - I have had an absurd amount of beers that are trying to pull off this beer. All of them come short. Apparantly, the medicinal aspect is a very line to walk. This beer succeeds where all others I have tried of the genre fail (not double IPA's in general, just double IPAs that have a flavor similar to this one). Considering how much of a pronounced flavor this has, it seems mild in that I could probably drink several of these (in regards to the flavor - the mouthfeel and the fact that it is 9.2% abv kind of hinder that . . . not to mention the fact that I bought a bomber). I have never had a Moylan's beer, but after tonight I shall definitely have more. I live close to them now too, maybe a visit will be in order.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Big thanks to fartingdog for sending this my way via BC2!
This one poured a hazy deep amber with a burnt orange hue topped by a solid cap of light beige foam. There was some sticky, chunky lacing and it showed good head retention. There were a few yeasty chunkies floating around too, even though it had been stored and chilled quite well after travel. Very fragrant aroma with pine needles, orange, and grapefruit dominating, plus a bit of caramel in the background. Solid, assertive bitterness was balanced by a big caramel maltiness. Lots of toffee, pine resin and grapefruit/rind with alcohol in the background throughout. The finish was alcohol warmth and piney hop bitterness. Full bodied with lowish carbonation and fine bubbles, which gave it quite a creamy texture. This is a big beer that's not overwhelming. It's got a good hop kick, yet maintains some semblance of balance. Tasty!

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliantly clear orange-copper before the sludge at the bottom muddies the clarity. Super dense off-white three finger head shows outstanding retention leaving sheets of stubborn lacing.

Pine sap and citrus aromas are prominent, with grapefruit rind, grass clippings, peaches and high-grade reefer rounding out an intensely hoppy nose. Some background toasted malt and light caramel scent is perceivable, but the aroma is decidedly hop-centric.

The first sip is remarkably sweet with plenty of toasted and nutty malt character, followed by a mellow grain twang and assertive light caramel flavor. A burst of resinous hop flavor suddenly commands the palate with pine sap and citric notes again dominating and grapefruit and grassy tones filling out the hop flavor profile. The very smooth, low-cohumulone bitterness is non-abrasive and allows a formidable hop bitterness without overwhelming the taste but keeping the considerable malt sweetness in check.

The aftertaste retains much of the caramel and toasted malt as well as the aggressive american hop colidascope displayed upfront.

The body is thick and relies on a light-medium but adequate carbonation to break up the oily hop resins left on the tounge. The viscous mouthfeel borders on cloying towards the finish but seems appropriate within the style.

The final swigs are saturated with all the fruity, earthy, and vegetal nuances of american hops that is matched by a heavy caramel flavor, and a hearty toasted/nut malt character that creates a complex beer that leans toward American Barleywine. Moylan's Hopsicle may be the rare oxymoron in the world of extreme beer- a balanced hop-bomb.

A: Poured into a Duvel oversized tulip. Body is a chill-hazed orangey-amber in color, with a 1.5-finger ivory/cream-colred head that leaves behind lots of soapy lacing.

S: Wet, grapefruity, juicy, resiny hops dominate. Orange peels and a floral scent is present as well, and underneath it all I get a sense of something sugary-sweet -- brown sugar perhaps? If you like hops, you will love this nose.

T: Bitter hop bite dominates the first sip -- dry, resiny hops with a slightly lemony taste that lingers behind. Alcohol heat is felt right away at the end of the sip and down the gulley. No real malt foundation is evident whatsoever; this is all about the hops -- tooth enamel-rotting, hydration-sucking grapefruit juicy, resiny hops coat the mouth and basically destroy the taste buds. As it warms, however, a bit of grassy, maybe piney, flavors crash the juicy party.

M: At first blush, this is lighter in heft than expected, but still I call it medium-bodied. There is a real gritty feel on the mouth from the overwhelming presence of hop oils that seem to coat the teeth and not let go. As it warms, however, it becomes smoother and creamier. Not sure if it's me -- i.e., my mouth has become numb to(or just gotten used to) the hops -- or if the beer smooths out a bit as the temperature rises. But it definitely feels better later, and so I bumped up the mouthfeel score from an original 3.5.

D: Too one-dimensional hoppy to go down easily, especially as your taste buds try to get accustomed to that hop assault, and the alcohol is just a little bit too prevalent. It took me almost an hour and a half to finish this bomber, and that includes the fact that I was able to pick up the pace a bit when it got to be pretty warm.

Notes: First, I'm not sure how old this bottle is (some "freshness dating" would be nice). I'm guessing it's been in my cellar for a few months, which would lead me to believe this could be the 2006 rather than 2007, but I'm really not sure. If this is a year old, I shudder to think what those hops are like when fresh. . . . Second, I gave my wife a sip about 2/3 of the way down the bomber. She made a face and said "That's NASTY!" while adding the caveat "and I like beer" (Stone IPA is her favorite). That's not an altogether unreasonable response to this hop monster. . . . Ultimately I liked the Hopsickle, but I have to admit it is a bit of an acquired taste, even for someone who likes hoppy beers. Personally I prefer a little more balance in my DIPAs than I was getting from this. . . .

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Thick dense light tan head on a clear copper body.
S- Huge pine hop aroma, light spice hops, orange, and some light grass.
T- Follows the aroma. Has a caramel malt body. Big dry pine bitterness in aftertaste with a light warming from alcohol. Some orange is also found in the aftertaste.
M- Medium body with low carbonation. Very smooth going down besides the hops sticking to the mouth.
D- I think it is pretty tasty. I would pick up another bottle but not one I HAVE to have.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a big cream colored head that stays around for a long while leaving behind a ton of lace on the glass. Beer is a nice amber color and slightly hazy.

Smell is hops all over the place. Big citrus, pine, grapefruit and floral hop aromas. Not much else manages to break through.

Taste is big hops. Oily pine hop flavor with the expected citrus flavors also. Not a lot of malt breaking through, but just enough to keep this beer drinkable. The bitterness is on the edge of being overwhelming, but not quite. As the beer warmed the malt flavors showed up to up more a fight against all those hops.

Mouthfeel is medium and slightly oily/sticky. Pretty decent.

Drinkability is decent for the style. You expect your palate to be trashed after a DIPA. That said I have had other beers that balance the bitter with the sweet malt better.

Overall a great DIPA. If you love the big hoppy DIPAs then run out and get this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

I'm certain people saying this beer isn't hoppy enough have either had an old or otherwise improperly-kempt bottle. This is one of the hoppiest beers I've had.

Appearance - Beautiful, reddish amber appearance. Clear (for the first pint anyway), with a 1-inch, off-white head.

Smell - Hops. That's about all you really smell. Pine-ish hops. I don't know what else you could expect from a self-proclaimed triple IPA, though.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Again, hops. The taste is pretty much overpowering. You better not plan on drinking anything else after this beer, because you certainly won't be able to taste it. This is one of the most brutal beers I've had, hop-wise. Then again, it never proclaims to be anything else. You should know what you're getting into when you open up a bomber of this, and if you don't, well... condolences, I guess. And like other people said, don't try to drink a bomber of this, unless you can really hold your beer. At 9.2% abv and with a hop presence as strong as this, you'll probably be pretty drunk by the time you finish the bottle.

Drinkability - This isn't exactly a very drinkable beer, unless you plan on hating hops and hoppy beers for a few days/weeks. Drink too much of this beer and you'll have a pretty serious case of hop-mouth the next morning, even if you brush your teeth (trust me, I tried that.) One bomber of this should be enough for two people and more than enough for one person.

I can't see myself drinking this too often, but then again, I'm also slightly masochistic. I keep telling myself that I won't buy this beer very often, but whenever I see it (which isnt that often, admittedly) I always snatch a bottle or two to make myself suffer. Chances are, if you like hops in your beer you'll really enjoy this. Just make sure you purchase it from a place that actually keeps it refridgerated, like the bottle recommends. If you don't, I'll probably be seeing you whining on this page about how this beer has an "odd taste" or it's not hoppy enough for you or something and I'll want to punch you.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours burned orange with the most rediculous amount of sediment floating around. Big head that dies and laces. Smells of huge hops, pine, citrus, malt, yeast?, something funky. Lots of flavors hit the palate. Yeast, hops, fruit and hops but not the blistering hops I hoped for and expected. The alcohol is not evident at all. Mild carbonation and full in the mouth. Drinkability is okay. To be honest this wasnt what I expected out of a supposed hop bomb. Ive had doubles and singles that delighted my hop fix much more. Worth a try though.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

A copper-toned beautiful baby. Head is less than stellar, however. Smell is lovely, sweet candy and summery hops. Taste is phenomenal, as the tip of the tongue luxuriates in sweetness, and the rest is saturated, and ultimately abused by hops. Citrus, and pine dance together in a malt profile worthy of a fine dessert. The mouthfeel is addictive, thick luscious malt cools the mouth, before eventually being wiped away by aggressive hop bitterness. Drinkability is fine, but this could get a little exhausting.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Got thus sucker via darrenc thru City Beer in SF. Beautiful orange creamy color with off-white head. Sweet aroma with a citrus hoppy cousin. Slimy hop pow taste, coated piney on the roof. Whoa...almost bigfoot-esque. Multi-stage hop flavor with a killer hop finish. Don't drink a bomber by yourself.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle of unmarked vintage. Label is printed rather than painted.

Beautifully clear, dark amber with a light foamy head and a few streaks of lace.

Smell is entirely hops, on the tart citrus side. Sweet malts underly. Astringent first, fruity second, floral last.

Body is very alpha-bitter. Hops have been boiled for a while. Sweet on the tongue at first, but it's a fast-fading, dextrin sweetness that yields to the sheer force of the acids.

Reasonably smooth for a triple IPA. Not as sticky as most other imperial IPAs, but the acid balances it towards something more normal.

A little too bitter to really consider drinkable, but certainly savorable.

All in all, not the hoppiest beer out there, nor the most balanced. Still, for the price, it's a great hop-head treat.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours a deep burnt orange with a thin off white head and sticky spots of lacing left on the side of the glass.

S - Grapefruit and floral hops with a sweet caramel malt backbone.

T - Some caramel sweetness with mouth puckering grapefruit, pine, citrus and pineapple hops squeezing every bit of saliva off the tongue.

M - Medium body with a touch of sticky syrup and pine resin. Maybe a touch of alcohol left behind each sip

D - This one beats your taste buds into submission. Sweet and mouth numbingly bitter at the same time. Truly over the top. Reminds me of Devil Dancer for the reason I feel I need to scrub my mouth with a brillo pad after drinking this.

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%

This was one of my favorite beers but the last two bottles that I have purchased both tasted odd. Lots of pineapple, butterscotch, and bubblegum that dominate the palate and finish bitter. I am pouring this down the drain. I don't know what happened to this brew. Hope things change.

4.53/5  rDev +10%

This 22oz. bomber pours fairly heavy amber with gold highlights and a thick rocky head that holds well and leaves spotty lace. This selection contains a ridiculous amount of thick, suspended gelatinous sediment that made me briefly question my better judgment. Wow, impressive.

The aroma is all big hops. Heavy, mouthwatering, hoppy bitterness. Underlying hints of citrus and pine.

Flavor-wise it is sharp and stunningly bitter (in the good way). Balance is all but out of the question. If someone were to ask me what hops taste like, I would direct them toward this beer. Sharp and mouthwatering. Faint lemon and pine but overwhelmingly hoppy. I love it.

The heavy smoothness is like hop syrup. Unforgiving on the palate with a bit of natural carbonation that accentuates this hops assault on the senses. Outstanding.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to fartingdog for sending this my way for BC2! Sampled along with grub at a brewday!

Pours a hazed copper, chunky off white head, massive crazy looking lace, everywhere, good retention, really looks nice. Smell is sweet, caramel/honey, grapefruit, some pine and floral, nice. Taste is similar, caramel maltiness, grapefruity, pine, floral, fruity finish, piney bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Nice to drink, solid DIPA, thanks Dave!

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance:
I've been snagging some good brews lately and this is no exception. The beer is a pristine copper in color with an ample off white head. The head is super sticky and displays some amazing retention.

Smell:
Um, HOPS! The nose is rife with sticky resinous hop goodness. Very piney with some grapefruit undertones offset but a nice touch of malt sweetness. This is very reminiscent of a beer run through a hop infuser, very fresh and green.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Well all hops aren't always the best thing and I think they're a tad dominating here. From beginning to finish there's a solid bitter grapefruit hop base. Up front your given some sweetness but this is quickly swallowed up by layers of hop intensity. The finish is surprisingly clean and I'm only left with a tinge of bitterness in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
Aside from the highish ABV this beer has enough going for it flavor wise to beg another drink. I don't see myself getting too far in to hopsickle country but it's worth a couple visits.

Bottom Line:
When I bought this I though it was a triple IPA and I thought I was going to hate it but lo and behold this is actually one of the better DIPA I've had the pleasure of trying. A good and hoppy beer which could use a little bit more malt character but hop heads rejoice.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a nonick pint, Hopsickle is orangish amber, slightly chill hazed, with a creamy, olive tinged, 1 finger off-white head that leaves lots of thick, sticky lace.

The aroma is bright and very pungent, in-your-face hops, pine resin and grapefruit like citrus from the Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial. There's also a touch of gingerbread like malt sweetness. Very nice.

The taste of course is super hoppy, but I think it's relatively balanced, in that there is a nice bready malt backbone, and while bitter, the hops contribute more as a flavor component. I can't get enough hop flavor, but I do find certain beers to be to bitter, which this one is not, and really hits the sweet spot for me.

The mouthfeel is average for the style, medium bodied, slightly creamy, and of course rather oily.

Since I'm a fan of extreme IPAs like this, I found it to be extremely drinkable! Sure it's big and brash, but very good.

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

I hate to be the party pooper here, but...

Pours a hazy orange with a nice rocky head and active carbonation. Aroma is exceptional, with a great sweet citrus smell that bursts from the bottle and makes you want to take a huge gulp. Taste is a quick hit of pine and citrus and then the beer begins to tear the tastebuds off of your tounge with harsh bitterness. The bitterness lingers for at least a minute after a *sip* let alone a gulp. This isn't a horrible beer, and if you love bitterness, you should love it. I personally found it to be undrinkable and let about half the bomber go down the drain.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery