Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: LongBeachHopHead on 08-11-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.44/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S - Bottle received in the recent BiF Race '07 from a generous Rayjay. Thanks man.

A - Pours a pretty deep copper with a creamy head that drops to an unbroken surface on the beer, some nice lacing sticks to the walls of my glass.

S - Grassy, herbal, citrus, fair malty notes, touch of alcohol, also a touch of earth too, nice. bits of grapefruit as well.

T - sweetness up front, then to citrus/grassy notes, almost chocolate in there somewhere, good malt character, warmth in the chest. wow. talk about a pulverized palate after this hop beast.

M - Creamy, for some reason I've been seeing a lot of creamy mouthfeel beers lately, just so damn smooth. I love it.

D - With the bitters just raping the tongue I would say this is either a beer to drink towards the end of the night, or one to drink all night. I'm going to still be tasting this when I wake up.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

A: Pours a murky amber-orange with a solid white head. The head recedes leaving behind a lot of lacing. The second pour resulted in a lot of yeast into the glass.

S: An overwhelming hop aroma of pine and citrus. Not as powerful smells as a Ruination.

T: A bold and powerful hop taste up front followed by grapefruit and oranges. The long lasting aftertaste is that of bitter hops. It's a real assault on the taste buds. It is a "tribute to hops" as the bottle attests.

M: Creamy full-bodied texture with lots of oily hops.

D: A little bit too much hops for me. I like my hoppy beers with a bit more balance although I realize that's not what they're going for here. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think it's something I'll be having too regurlarly. One bomber in a sitting is plenty. Just a ridiculous amount of hops. I drank it while eating some bitter vegetables and it cut right through that.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: Very cloudy orange with a LOT of floating chunks of what I assume to be the live yeast and hop particles.
Smell: Great hop smell from the Tomohawk and Warrior. Sweet malt and lots of yeast
Taste: Absolutely fantastic. The first time I tried this beer I was overwhelmed by the amount of yeast present, but the second tasting I got all the wonderful hop, malt, and yeast that should be there for a double (triple?) IPA
Mouthfeel was a bit different for me as I am not used to all the floating particles. The "live ale" aspect of the suspended particles threw me off a bit. Almost chunky on the palate.
Drinkability: I wish I had another one in front of me. A great IPA that all hopheads should indulge in at least once in their lives.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

To me these extremely hoppy beers sometimes go over the top. So many good microbreweries have a beer for the hop-heads but to me this may be a bit too bitter. The bitterness is up there with Hop Wallop which I find a one and done type beer. This one, I was happy to be sharing the bottle with bookert. One half a bomber was enough for me. Though I enjoyed it, I wouldn't want to session it.

Appearance: Pours an orange amber color with a big creamy white head and nice lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit hop aroma sweet floral attribute and malts balance out the nose.

Taste: The hops are brash and unrelenting. There is some caramel malt flavor but the hops are overwhelming and paired a nip of alcohol and with a leafy dryness that sticks to my cheeks; my mouth was so dry that I felt like a glass of water.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant smooth feel with light carbonation and lots of dryness left on the cheeks.

Drinkability: Overall, a good DIPA but certainly extreme.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

22 oz. bottle- color of hazy orange , with a thick off white head , and sight sediment - nose of hops , hops , and more hops , some resin , and citrus – taste of hops , grapefruit , resin , pine , slight maltyness , and bread - body is soft , dry , and with medium carbonation – aftertaste of resin , hops , and spruce

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Bomber.

A) Clear and huge foamy head from the bomber.

S) Crisp and aromatic.

T) Wow, this is up there with the finest of all. It has the great tension of flavor between bitter hop and aromatic fruit. I tasted clear pine and citrusy grapefruit along with a slight bubblegum thing. Me and 3 others did a taste test with 4 Imperials, this along with 3Floyds, Stone 10, and Reaper Sleighor. It’s a good time to be alive and like strong IPA!

M) Creamy, oily and full.

D) Scrumtrulescent! (Will Ferrell anyone?!?!?!)

4.01/5  rDev -2.7%

This “triple” stuff is a bunch of market BS, we have a good DIPA, and a kick-ass IPA, if labeled as such.

Here we go with a solid pour of amber orange, sticky pillow top of ivory ice cream. And I guess sickle is stuck in my mind, the aroma is of an orange pop-sickle. And, of course, the taste of orangy pop-sickle pine grapefruit ice cream cup.

Possible a little thin for a triple IPA, it still made for an easy drinking beverage for a spring session. The alcohol is hidden, but you can tell from the oil it’s in here.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%

22 oz bomber.
Wow, there's a lot of sediment visible in the bottom of this bottle. Looks pretty heavy though, so even if it makes it to the glass I think it will settle out quickly.

Pours a hazy copper/light amber color. Head is large, nearly white, and retains very well. By the time I type this I've got a thick sheet of sticky lace on one side of the glass.

Nose - I can just barely smell some toasted malts here, with a bit of carmelization noted. Oh, and don't be shocked, but I think there may be just a little bit of hops in this beer...Wow.
Extremely floral, lots of pine, and some grapefruit. Fresh, inviting, outdoorsy. Some alcohol is noted by mid-glass, but still struggles to show itself. Maybe I'll soak a coaster in the bottle dregs and see how it works as an air freshener.

Balanced? I suppose the hop profile is balanced between ass-kicking and palate-numbing, but otherwise, umm, no. There's hops, hops, and hops. And maybe some hops.
Malts that are merely subdued in the aroma are curled into the fetal position after a hop beating and barely noted here in the flavor, but for the record seem to be mostly of the caramel variety. (Compared to the Moylander double IPA there is actually a ton of malt here!)
Overall bitterness is not as strong as expected, but along with some alcohol warming there is an increasing bitter bite lingering on my tongue as the level of brew in my glass swiftly drops.

Full bodied, creamy, with a soft carbonation that lets the hops shine. Really well done.

Drinkability...I've got more bottles calling me, but I'm not about to try to finish a 2nd. Maybe not the smartest thing to have sipped (OK, nearly gulped) before a classy evening meal...but totally worth it. I'm hoping my palate will be released from this spell of paralyzing hop numbness in time to taste my dinner.

I could go on, but trying to wax poetic about the qualities of this beer seems pointless - if you are looking for a nice-looking, fresh-smelling glass of a beverage that celebrates the glory of hops, by all means try it. If you don't like hops, then please leave it for the rest of us!

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours clear, medium amber, with even bubbles. Nice ~1 inch white-yellow head. Smells floral, slightly woody - like pine. Initial malty flavor immediately overtaken by a strong hop bitterness on the tip of your tongue and migrates to the back of the throat with just a little sweetness in between. Very bitter, excellent with food, especially home-made pizza and salt & pepper krinkle cut chips. Somewhat overpowering, giving it the low drinkability rating.

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%

So here's the question...Next time I'm in the mood for a beer like this should I...

A: Grab a Moylans Imperial IPA
OR....
B: Get a three foot water pipe, an ounce of Tomahawk hops, and a few sticks of coconut incense...

Whew....I don't say this very often, but I'm glad I split this 22oz hoptacular oral chainsaw of a beer with a fellow BA. Poured into a large snifter so as to harness the incredible aromas of pine & floral hops. Close your eyes, and bury your nose into the glass to get close to the substantial, creamy white head of this dark orange/yellow offering. It's not hard to imagine standing in the middle of the evergreen filled High Sierras after a light rain, a nose truly worthy of a "5/exceptional" score if there ever was one. The taste...well, a bit of sweet pale malt, umm a touch of citrus, and....oh ya, an insane (borderline obnoxious) amount of Tomahawk, Cascade, and Centennial hops, that unceremoniously rip through your taste buds, leaving you thirstier than when you started. It’s sort of like getting hit in the mouth by a moist pine cone, but in a good way. I have to say though, I’m glad to have experienced this “extreme” beer, and would (in small quantities) like to have it on occasion. If anything, I’d just like to smell it again. This beer goes well with nothing……NOTHING I say. If after a few sips, the beer you are drinking can turn an aged, four year old white Canadian Cheddar into Velveeta, you know you are dealing with some serious ale….Good luck.…Enjoy

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's in late October for $5.59.

Beer poured an amber-orange, with a fluffy white head, and floating sediment adding to the intrigue. Nose is a blast of grapefruit and other floral hops. Taste is hops and more hops with some balancing by the malts. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lively on the palate. Overall drinkability is good. This is a classic west coast double IPA that is a must try for fans of the style!

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%

I generally review a beer in the order that I reach each step. Usually it starts with appearance. Not this beer. Immediately as soon as I popped the top of this bomber I could smell grapefruit and other citrus smells. After I poured this into the glass, the aroma was more powerful and I could smell some sweetness as well. It has a dark amber reddish body with almost no head and small flecks of something (yeast?) floating in suspension. I don't think it's bottle conditioned, but that could explain it if it was. Ahh, time for the first sip. DAMN...this is a hoppy beer. It is really grapefruity and piney. The flavor is extremely powerful. It has good mouthfeel but it's a bit hoppy for me to drink a lot of. It is actually a bit of a chore to finish the bomber by myself.

Edit: Clearly I missed the giant red part of the label that says "Live Ale - Keep Refrigerated". The fact that this was bottle conditioned explains the floaties.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

A friend was kind enough to split a bottle with me of this uber hoppy beer. The beer poured a ruddy brownish-red with a lot of particulate floating around in the beer. The smell was not hoppy like I expected but a little buttery (diacetyl?). It was still a good smell however. The taste was also not as hoppy as I remembered from GABF but it still packed a punch. The drinkability was pretty darn good because I couldn't taste the alcohol. too bad this is not available in Colorado.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%

Rockin' a deuce-deuce of this hoppy monstrosity...

Nice dark orange color. The sediment sits stagnant, floating motionless. Decent amount of head.

Strong, bitter hop smell. Great combo of woodsy and citrusy hops. Wonderful. Perfect sweet/bitter balance in the hops alone. Absolute dynamite.

An excellent bitterness overtakes this brew, completely whooping the sweetness's tender backside. Lots of pine. Very apparent alcohol bite.

Thick. Kills the tongue but in a good way. Quite substantial. This baby is a one-n-done; delicious but far too bitter to repeat too much.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Pours a really hazy, cider color w/ a foamy off-white head.
S - Tropical/Citrus fruits, lots of Northwestern hops.
T - Not a very strong hoppiness and the alcohol shows a little too much, but there is a fruitiness that is there the whole time and balances it out somewhat. Better flavors come out as the beer warms towards proper temperatures. A crazy powerful DIPA if you're looking for one.
M - Sticks to the mouth in a strange way. An overdue hop/bad fruit taste stays around, but it isn't too bad.
D - Maybe I'm getting tired of Cascade hops and all the other West Coast hops varieties because this beer doesn't do much for me. I have to give it some credit and guess that the bottle was treated improperly b/c the store I got it from has a bad reputation for old and dirty bottles. The bottle says to "keep refrigerated" and I took it from a shelf. Not to mention, Arizona gets pretty hot and the store didn't have its A/C on. Even after all that, I enjoyed the whole 22oz. bomber and I'd recommend picking it up.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours a medium brown with thick head and little lasting carbonation.Smell-hops, hops, and more hops-reminds me when I used to homebrew and woulod use whole cones. Taste is like if I took the formentioned bag of hops and shoved it all into my mouth-so much resin and pine. As the beer warms the malt begins to fight it's way from behind the hops. Mouthfeel is rich however drinkability suffers because of the hops-I love this beer but I couldn't handle more than a 22 oz bottle.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

22oz. Bomber bought at the Dilly Deli

A-It has the Orangish tinge that you expect out of a nice double IPA. The lacing would tell me even without a smell or a taste that this has a lot of hops.

S-Oh my, lots of pine. It smells like I'm in the middle of the forest after a gentle rain. Oh how I love that resiny smell.

M-Solid carbonation all the way through, from the first touch on your tongue all the down your throat.

Taste-Hops, Hops, Hallelujah hops! They explode off your tounge with that so right bitterness and resiny pine that the great California Imperial IPA's tend to have. This one is all about the hops, and being a hophead, I'm not going to complain.

D-I think for some, it could be a little difficult due to the wallop of hop bitterness. I like my Double IPA's super hoppy, but I know a lot of people out there prefer a little more balance. Hey, they tell you on the bottle that this is a triple hoppy beer.

O-I absolutely love this beer. Every time I go to the Dilly Deli I always walk out with at least 2. I prefer my Double IPA's with that over-the-top hop flavor. I also enjoy some balance with malty sweetness, but I'll take a big bitter hop bomb any day. Another California brewed masterpiece!

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Hopsickle in a bottle and on draft is probably my current "favorite beer in the world" - which is why I was so disappointed when I had it on tap from a cask at the Moylan's brewpub itself. Seems like serving it this way sucked the life and the balance out of it, and perhaps that carbonation is what keeps everything working so beautifully in the "normal" version. Believe me, it was fairly shocking. On any other day - non-cask - this is among the world's great 21st-century beers.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

The pour is a hazy medium amber with a large white head and good lacing. The smell is a stong floral scent along with grapefruit or other citrusy hops. The taste is not so strongly hoppy but with a slightly sweet malt and a bitter bite. A very nice medium chewy mouthfeel and drinkability is OK but 1of this beer is enough for me with the ABV.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy amber in color with deep orange hues. Fluffy off white head is two fingers thick and maintains good retention. Nice sticky lacing that clings to the glass.

S: Juicy wet hops. Citrus. Pine resin. Wet grass. Bread. Alcohol.

T: Huge juicy wet citric and pine hops blast your tongue into submission with a nice bitter tingle. Earth or herbal taste is taken over by a sweet malt passing. The sweetness of mango or peach come to the forefront and are beaten back by the warming sensation of alcohol.

M: Smooth and creamy. Slightly slick on the tongue. Minimal carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: Huge juicy citric flavors dominate this brew. This could be a stellar beer with alittle more malt balance. Higher ABV and sweetness limit the amount sampled in one evening.

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%

This is a serious beer that lives up to its name.

A deep orange, tons of yeast floating even in a gentle pour. Not much head, almost no lacing. Aroma is pure, unadulterated, over-the-top American hops - grapefruit, orange, some pine.

Bitter citrus follows the nose. Puckering hops, balanced by a relatively small amount of malt (but massive compared to any normal beer).

This is often incorrectly described as a Triple IPA - even if such a style existed, it would have more malt than this. Hopsickle is more like the proportions of an American Pale Ale, but with everything amped to 11. Medium finish dries out with bitterness. There's no way to load up this much hops without a huge amount of malt, but still, Hopsickle maintains a delightfully and relatively dry texture. Such a delight to avoid the syrupy sweetnes of other over-the-top beers (e.g., Stone). No alcohol aroma or bite, even though it's more than 9%.

Moylan's is a spectacular brewery - always a nice antidote to the viscosity of the usual extreme California beer.

Hopsickle's hard to classify as a style. It's like nothing else out there. Too much hops for me personally - I like something that leaves my palate intact for the next beer. But if you want to confront hops and more hops, with enough malt to keep things going, then this is a beer worth trying.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet. Good thick head with moderate lacing. Color was a burnt orange with a decent mild citrusy hop aroma. It's in the taste that this one really stands out. Great citrusy taste finishing with some sweetness. For an ale with such a high ABV this one is dangerously drinkable, I was very disappointed when the bottle was empty.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer has a great pour, starting off with a decent head and leaving some pretty good lace. The color is great, and it has a nice hop aroma. It doesn't have the best hop finish ever, a little sour, characteristic of classic IPAs instead of the more citrusy, piney, and even pot tasting Northwest IPAs I have come to love. It could also be a little more carbonated, that is larger, more explosive bubbles as opposed to a smaller more diffuse carbonation that explodes less initially. Regardless, this is still a beer that I could enjoy regularly without complaint, but it ain't no Pliny.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a buoyant head that leaves shards of lacing

Smell: Strong caramel base with a nice dry hop aroma

Taste: Starts out with a serious dose of piney bitterness with plenty of pineapple developing by mid-palate; after the swallow, the caramel flavors build, followed by a return to the hoppy bitterness through the finish

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with moderate carbonation; slight warming effect

Drinkability: This is one I have been wanting to taste for some time and it doesn't let me down; nice hoppy DIPA, or TIPA as they call it

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a hazy and cloudy orange with a huge, billowing, pillow like head two inches tall. The head just would not give up any ground, very slow fade. Left behind enormous amounts of gooey sticky lace. Fantastic lookng, perfect double IPA look. Smell could have been a bit stronger and that was really the oly downside to the thing. Major contributer here was the citrus hops. Very strong grapefruit and pineapple came through from the start, as well as some of the alcohol, which at 9.4%abv, should come as no suprise. As it warmed, more of a piney, resin type smell started to xome through. Taste was very smooth, not alot of carbonation here, but not really needed. Very strong and very bitter citrus hops in this one. The grapefruit alone will make you take a step back. Hints of pineapple as well, big alcohol taste that seemed to mellow a bit as it warmed. Big dry finish, left you wanting some more. This was a very smooth, very drinkable, and overall really good DIPA. It was a pleasure to try this and I look forward to getting some more!

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery