Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.84/5  rDev -6.8%

So here's the question...Next time I'm in the mood for a beer like this should I...

A: Grab a Moylans Imperial IPA
OR....
B: Get a three foot water pipe, an ounce of Tomahawk hops, and a few sticks of coconut incense...

Whew....I don't say this very often, but I'm glad I split this 22oz hoptacular oral chainsaw of a beer with a fellow BA. Poured into a large snifter so as to harness the incredible aromas of pine & floral hops. Close your eyes, and bury your nose into the glass to get close to the substantial, creamy white head of this dark orange/yellow offering. It's not hard to imagine standing in the middle of the evergreen filled High Sierras after a light rain, a nose truly worthy of a "5/exceptional" score if there ever was one. The taste...well, a bit of sweet pale malt, umm a touch of citrus, and....oh ya, an insane (borderline obnoxious) amount of Tomahawk, Cascade, and Centennial hops, that unceremoniously rip through your taste buds, leaving you thirstier than when you started. It’s sort of like getting hit in the mouth by a moist pine cone, but in a good way. I have to say though, I’m glad to have experienced this “extreme” beer, and would (in small quantities) like to have it on occasion. If anything, I’d just like to smell it again. This beer goes well with nothing……NOTHING I say. If after a few sips, the beer you are drinking can turn an aged, four year old white Canadian Cheddar into Velveeta, you know you are dealing with some serious ale….Good luck.…Enjoy

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's in late October for $5.59.

Beer poured an amber-orange, with a fluffy white head, and floating sediment adding to the intrigue. Nose is a blast of grapefruit and other floral hops. Taste is hops and more hops with some balancing by the malts. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lively on the palate. Overall drinkability is good. This is a classic west coast double IPA that is a must try for fans of the style!

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%

I generally review a beer in the order that I reach each step. Usually it starts with appearance. Not this beer. Immediately as soon as I popped the top of this bomber I could smell grapefruit and other citrus smells. After I poured this into the glass, the aroma was more powerful and I could smell some sweetness as well. It has a dark amber reddish body with almost no head and small flecks of something (yeast?) floating in suspension. I don't think it's bottle conditioned, but that could explain it if it was. Ahh, time for the first sip. DAMN...this is a hoppy beer. It is really grapefruity and piney. The flavor is extremely powerful. It has good mouthfeel but it's a bit hoppy for me to drink a lot of. It is actually a bit of a chore to finish the bomber by myself.

Edit: Clearly I missed the giant red part of the label that says "Live Ale - Keep Refrigerated". The fact that this was bottle conditioned explains the floaties.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

A friend was kind enough to split a bottle with me of this uber hoppy beer. The beer poured a ruddy brownish-red with a lot of particulate floating around in the beer. The smell was not hoppy like I expected but a little buttery (diacetyl?). It was still a good smell however. The taste was also not as hoppy as I remembered from GABF but it still packed a punch. The drinkability was pretty darn good because I couldn't taste the alcohol. too bad this is not available in Colorado.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%

Rockin' a deuce-deuce of this hoppy monstrosity...

Nice dark orange color. The sediment sits stagnant, floating motionless. Decent amount of head.

Strong, bitter hop smell. Great combo of woodsy and citrusy hops. Wonderful. Perfect sweet/bitter balance in the hops alone. Absolute dynamite.

An excellent bitterness overtakes this brew, completely whooping the sweetness's tender backside. Lots of pine. Very apparent alcohol bite.

Thick. Kills the tongue but in a good way. Quite substantial. This baby is a one-n-done; delicious but far too bitter to repeat too much.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Pours a really hazy, cider color w/ a foamy off-white head.
S - Tropical/Citrus fruits, lots of Northwestern hops.
T - Not a very strong hoppiness and the alcohol shows a little too much, but there is a fruitiness that is there the whole time and balances it out somewhat. Better flavors come out as the beer warms towards proper temperatures. A crazy powerful DIPA if you're looking for one.
M - Sticks to the mouth in a strange way. An overdue hop/bad fruit taste stays around, but it isn't too bad.
D - Maybe I'm getting tired of Cascade hops and all the other West Coast hops varieties because this beer doesn't do much for me. I have to give it some credit and guess that the bottle was treated improperly b/c the store I got it from has a bad reputation for old and dirty bottles. The bottle says to "keep refrigerated" and I took it from a shelf. Not to mention, Arizona gets pretty hot and the store didn't have its A/C on. Even after all that, I enjoyed the whole 22oz. bomber and I'd recommend picking it up.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours a medium brown with thick head and little lasting carbonation.Smell-hops, hops, and more hops-reminds me when I used to homebrew and woulod use whole cones. Taste is like if I took the formentioned bag of hops and shoved it all into my mouth-so much resin and pine. As the beer warms the malt begins to fight it's way from behind the hops. Mouthfeel is rich however drinkability suffers because of the hops-I love this beer but I couldn't handle more than a 22 oz bottle.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

22oz. Bomber bought at the Dilly Deli

A-It has the Orangish tinge that you expect out of a nice double IPA. The lacing would tell me even without a smell or a taste that this has a lot of hops.

S-Oh my, lots of pine. It smells like I'm in the middle of the forest after a gentle rain. Oh how I love that resiny smell.

M-Solid carbonation all the way through, from the first touch on your tongue all the down your throat.

Taste-Hops, Hops, Hallelujah hops! They explode off your tounge with that so right bitterness and resiny pine that the great California Imperial IPA's tend to have. This one is all about the hops, and being a hophead, I'm not going to complain.

D-I think for some, it could be a little difficult due to the wallop of hop bitterness. I like my Double IPA's super hoppy, but I know a lot of people out there prefer a little more balance. Hey, they tell you on the bottle that this is a triple hoppy beer.

O-I absolutely love this beer. Every time I go to the Dilly Deli I always walk out with at least 2. I prefer my Double IPA's with that over-the-top hop flavor. I also enjoy some balance with malty sweetness, but I'll take a big bitter hop bomb any day. Another California brewed masterpiece!

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Hopsickle in a bottle and on draft is probably my current "favorite beer in the world" - which is why I was so disappointed when I had it on tap from a cask at the Moylan's brewpub itself. Seems like serving it this way sucked the life and the balance out of it, and perhaps that carbonation is what keeps everything working so beautifully in the "normal" version. Believe me, it was fairly shocking. On any other day - non-cask - this is among the world's great 21st-century beers.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

The pour is a hazy medium amber with a large white head and good lacing. The smell is a stong floral scent along with grapefruit or other citrusy hops. The taste is not so strongly hoppy but with a slightly sweet malt and a bitter bite. A very nice medium chewy mouthfeel and drinkability is OK but 1of this beer is enough for me with the ABV.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

22 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy amber in color with deep orange hues. Fluffy off white head is two fingers thick and maintains good retention. Nice sticky lacing that clings to the glass.

S: Juicy wet hops. Citrus. Pine resin. Wet grass. Bread. Alcohol.

T: Huge juicy wet citric and pine hops blast your tongue into submission with a nice bitter tingle. Earth or herbal taste is taken over by a sweet malt passing. The sweetness of mango or peach come to the forefront and are beaten back by the warming sensation of alcohol.

M: Smooth and creamy. Slightly slick on the tongue. Minimal carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: Huge juicy citric flavors dominate this brew. This could be a stellar beer with alittle more malt balance. Higher ABV and sweetness limit the amount sampled in one evening.

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%

This is a serious beer that lives up to its name.

A deep orange, tons of yeast floating even in a gentle pour. Not much head, almost no lacing. Aroma is pure, unadulterated, over-the-top American hops - grapefruit, orange, some pine.

Bitter citrus follows the nose. Puckering hops, balanced by a relatively small amount of malt (but massive compared to any normal beer).

This is often incorrectly described as a Triple IPA - even if such a style existed, it would have more malt than this. Hopsickle is more like the proportions of an American Pale Ale, but with everything amped to 11. Medium finish dries out with bitterness. There's no way to load up this much hops without a huge amount of malt, but still, Hopsickle maintains a delightfully and relatively dry texture. Such a delight to avoid the syrupy sweetnes of other over-the-top beers (e.g., Stone). No alcohol aroma or bite, even though it's more than 9%.

Moylan's is a spectacular brewery - always a nice antidote to the viscosity of the usual extreme California beer.

Hopsickle's hard to classify as a style. It's like nothing else out there. Too much hops for me personally - I like something that leaves my palate intact for the next beer. But if you want to confront hops and more hops, with enough malt to keep things going, then this is a beer worth trying.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet. Good thick head with moderate lacing. Color was a burnt orange with a decent mild citrusy hop aroma. It's in the taste that this one really stands out. Great citrusy taste finishing with some sweetness. For an ale with such a high ABV this one is dangerously drinkable, I was very disappointed when the bottle was empty.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer has a great pour, starting off with a decent head and leaving some pretty good lace. The color is great, and it has a nice hop aroma. It doesn't have the best hop finish ever, a little sour, characteristic of classic IPAs instead of the more citrusy, piney, and even pot tasting Northwest IPAs I have come to love. It could also be a little more carbonated, that is larger, more explosive bubbles as opposed to a smaller more diffuse carbonation that explodes less initially. Regardless, this is still a beer that I could enjoy regularly without complaint, but it ain't no Pliny.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a buoyant head that leaves shards of lacing

Smell: Strong caramel base with a nice dry hop aroma

Taste: Starts out with a serious dose of piney bitterness with plenty of pineapple developing by mid-palate; after the swallow, the caramel flavors build, followed by a return to the hoppy bitterness through the finish

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with moderate carbonation; slight warming effect

Drinkability: This is one I have been wanting to taste for some time and it doesn't let me down; nice hoppy DIPA, or TIPA as they call it

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a hazy and cloudy orange with a huge, billowing, pillow like head two inches tall. The head just would not give up any ground, very slow fade. Left behind enormous amounts of gooey sticky lace. Fantastic lookng, perfect double IPA look. Smell could have been a bit stronger and that was really the oly downside to the thing. Major contributer here was the citrus hops. Very strong grapefruit and pineapple came through from the start, as well as some of the alcohol, which at 9.4%abv, should come as no suprise. As it warmed, more of a piney, resin type smell started to xome through. Taste was very smooth, not alot of carbonation here, but not really needed. Very strong and very bitter citrus hops in this one. The grapefruit alone will make you take a step back. Hints of pineapple as well, big alcohol taste that seemed to mellow a bit as it warmed. Big dry finish, left you wanting some more. This was a very smooth, very drinkable, and overall really good DIPA. It was a pleasure to try this and I look forward to getting some more!

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%

The beer pours a copper body that is crowned with a white head that left nice lacing. Also present in the body was a constent stream of carbonation bubbles. The aroma of it was a huge hit of red grapefruit and pine needles. Slight hints of malts present but the nose really highlighted the hops. The taste was a huge hop bomb with the same good American hops present that where in the aroma. Also like the aroma there where slight malts trying to break through but was beaten back by the hops. It was a big beer with warming alcohol that left with a lingering dry finish. Lovely slow drinking beer.

3.11/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a nice light amber color with a big fluffy head to it. Laces and the stream of carbonation bubbles trickle to the top. Seems like your average Double IPA in the tanks. The aroma is no let down either. But it is not the best Ive ever smelled. It has a strong soapy floral aroma to it. There is almost a slight salt note to it. very odd I know but that is the only way I can describe it. The aromas transfer to the taste and once again make this a complete hop bomb there is no malt to be found in this thing any where. There might be as it warms up (elapse time 15 min) nope. Still a strong hop base that is very floral and resiny. Not a lot of balance to this one. The mouth feel is kind of big on the palette. But nothing out of the norm for this style. Once again another double IPA has come and gone out of my life. Very drinkable for the style, and very easy to drink a lot of.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy burnt orange color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is heavy with floral hops along with citrus sweetness and caramelized malt.

T: The taste is extremely well-balanced. The intense floral hops bitterness, fruity sweetness and caramelized maltiness all hit you at the same time and compliment each other very nicely. The sweetness fades after a bit and leaves a major hops bite that strengthens as the beer warms. The after-taste is mostly hops bitterness with just a touch of residual sweetness.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy especially if you're a hophead, not very filling, nice kick, excellent representation of style. As much as I liked this beer, I'll confess that I didn't drink it down as quickly as other beers in the style. However, it's a very good beer and a good one to grab if you want good hoppy shot in the mouth.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Had this brew on tap up at Moylans over the weekend. Poured into a tulip-style glass. Color was a deep golden amber, clear, with some red hues. Good white head and excellent carbonation and moderate lacing. This beer tastes great. A wonderfully complex dance of hop flavors in my mouth. The high abv affords this beer a level of complexity that most beers can't have and the Hopsickle capitalizes on this perfectly: maximizing the rich but subtle juicy malts, balancing them with an excuisite hop bill, and masking the booze taste completely. Crisp, piney, juicy fruits and sugary citrus. Drinkability and mouthfeel were superb. This is definitely on par if not better than Pliny the Elder, and in the same realm as two of my other fav's: FFF's Dreadnaught and Ballast Point's Dorado.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber bottle into my Imperial pint glass. Appears a deep murky amber color with an inch of dense off white foam. Moderate amounts of lacing are left on the glass as I make my way to the bottom. Smells of resinous pine and grassy hops. Tastes of bitter citrus peels, namely lemon, and more bitter hops. My tongue is puckering from the bitterness. The malt comes through nicely to counter the bitter hops, but in the end, the hops win. Full bodied mouthfeel with medium to moderate carbonation. A delicious DIPA, but both the high alcohol and the hoppy bitterness keep me from enjoying more than a bomber at a time.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served at about 35F from a 22 oz amber bottle into a nonick pint.

Aroma at the bottle was all hops, like sniffing a jar of west coast hops.

Poured thickly and very hazy with a dark straw color, generating a big rocky head that left plenty of lacing on the glass.

Aroma was all about the west coast hops.

Flavor was big on hops, too. Expected more bitterness, but this brew is slanted towards flavor and aroma. The bitterness is balanced or maybe even slightly low for the maltiness and alcohol content.

The pour was so full bodied, as well as the mouthfeel, I couldn't resist the temptation to check the F.G. which was 1.020.

Overall, this is really an exceptional beer. I think I like Moylander (their other DIPA) a bit better, because Moylander is better balanced. But for a hop exhibition, this is a fabulous example.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A 22 oz. bottle poured to a standard pint glass.

A: Deep, auburn pour with a 1-1/2 finger creamy off-white head. A few hesitant streams of carbonation lazily making their way to the top.

S: Definitely one of the most hop-filled heads I've inhaled - according to the label this is a "blast of fresh Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial Hops". Though it's full of piney and juicy-citrus hops, this has a notably malty backing that gives the smell a nicely complex balance.

T: Flavorful and amazing. This is so unbalanced towards that the hops I almost can't describe the hoppiness...so bitter, soapy, medicinal that, yes, I am actually puckering. I can feel my cheeks and lips drawing inward as I savor this hop-bomb. Unbelievably hoppy...whew...

M: Thick, full, almost syrupy, this clings to every part of your mouth. A full-flavored, full-bodied hop overload. Warm, clinging, unnaturally good.

D: OK, as much as I like this beer, it is not one I'd want to have every day. Even occasionally, I think this is over the top in the 'hops' category. It is bitter yet wonderful, a gem in the DIPA (or is it Triple IPA...or Quadrupel IPA.. or...?). Recommended, with some degree of caution...tastebuds be forewarned...and that potent ABV can put on a hurtin', too...

3.83/5  rDev -7%

22oz bomber -> goblet
no date

Pours a cantly hazed deep amber with a small thick creamy blanket of suds. The modest head leaves rings of oily lace, that eventually cover the glass with a chalky white haze.

Nose: Piney oily hop tar, grapefruit,

Taste: The piney somewhat fruity hops dominate any malt presense that my be present. As it warms some sweet caramel pokes up. Finishes bitter and extremely dry. Hopsickle is no misnomer.

Mouth is super syrupy thick and DRY.

One is most likely enough. Brew was stored at basement temperature, which is quite cold this time of year. As the beer warmed the malts jumped up to add a balance that was missing initially. Being that the label advises to 'keep refrigerated', i advice some warming time.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer pours a very slightly cloudy golden color with a brown tint. It boasts a thick fluffy off white head that fades ever so slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

A very strong grassy hop aroma is present. Wow, it smells good. Some piney and floral hops mix in also. The hop aroma dominates and masks any possable malty aroma. Very hoppy.

Wow, this beer tastes good. It tastes exactly like it smells. Very hoppy. Grassy mostly, but some pine and floral hops are present also. It has a citrus flavor also. As with the aroma, no malt is present.

This beer is very full bodied. It leaves a strong grassy aftertaste. Carbonation is good.

This beer is not a session beer. It is very aggressive, and it is high in alcohol.

Overall: When I say this beer at Hollingshead's, I was so excited to finally get to try it. I was not at all let down. This beer is great. I hope to find it again in the future.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery