Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

My first Triple IPA...I've looking forward to this.

22 oz bomber poured into a globe glass. Deep amber color is topped with a huge, billowing head (yeah hop proteins!)

Smells somewhat bitterweet. Great floral aromas with caramel sweetness and fruitiness are undercut with a muted wormwood bitterness. I'm eager to taste...

Taste is...a little one dimesional. Sharp hop bitterness is balanced by....nothing. It's not balanced. Now I like my hoppy beers, mind you, but I also like a strong malt base to support it. It's all grapefruit and a little pine and nothing else. All that hoppy goodness and no malt to match. What a shame. I'm not going to slam this, as any hophead will enjoy it, but I am certainly disappointed as I was really looking forward to trying this. I blame Stone's 10th Anniversary ale. It may have ruined Imperial IPA's for me. Nothing else compares well :)

Mouthfeel is actually pretty dry, and the body is suprisingly light. Which goes to my point about needing more malt. Decent carbonation. As for drinkability, it would be tough to handle more than one of these.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Nice, darkish caramel color - looks nice and thick. Great white/tan head that lasts for a good while, especially considering the alcohol.

S: Man, that's one hoppy beer. Hops are in your face as soon as you smell it.

T: Bracing bitterness. Love it. Hops all around. There's some pretty strong malt presence back there, you just can't taste it. The hops overpower any malt flavor. And that is ok by me in this case. Want yourself a bitter, hoppy double ipa, you've got it. Yeah, it's got the floral hops and all, but the real point here is the bitterness. Mmmm. Delicious. It actually reminds me of Bigfoot a little bit - that same bracing quality as fresh Bigfoot.

M: Nice and thick, a little sticky too. Very enveloping and very welcome. Good for a cold night by the fire eating some really spicy food.

D: Actually, quite drinkable for me. It shouldn't really be that drinkable - it's thick, very bitter, and higher alcohol - yet I could drink this all day. And man did that bomber go fast. The great taste of the beer helps keep it drinkable in its own way.

I must say, I love this beer. If I want something really bitter - like when having a good spicy chorizo burrito or the like, there are two beers I would reach for. Bigfoot, and this. Want something to truly ruin your palate? Pick this up.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Orange with a big, frothy head.

Smell: Moss, leaves, tea, grapefruit, oranges, toast

Taste: Spicy and smoky, lots of strong, leafy hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is great! By far, my favorite product from Moylan's. The hops seem to be a unique combination. I really appreciate the way this beer was taken to another level.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a dark golden with a nice fluffy white head. Nice lacing as well. Smell jumps out of the bottle and is nothing but hops. Citrus at first then some floral and grassy notes.
Tastes true to the smell, big citrus hops up front, slight malt sweetness in the middle and a lingering bitter finish. Mouthfeel is slick and slightly thin.
Very nice brew. I like it a lot, but at $6 a bomber there are other hop monsters I can buy cheaper and taste just as good.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

22 oz. bottle, 9.2% ABV. The label indicates Tomahawk, Cascade, and Centennial hops. Poured a very nice copper color, and pretty clear too. Thick tan fluffy head, which holds together very well. A blast of hop aroma can be sensed from across the room, no maybe the whole house. No mistaking the style here. Huge floral, dominant citrusy, and pine hop aroma. There is a decent malt background, which seem slightly toasty, but are no match for what is about to happen. Piney, floral and citrusy in the front, but then the hops seem to fade into a perfume like quality. As it is drank, grat patches of lace cling to the sides of the glass. Overly bitter, with not much sweetness to put up a fight. A bit thin. More sweetness could make this one spectacular. Finishes so dry, which hurts the drinkability a bit for me. Alcohol is somewhat restrained, but will sneak up at the end. Enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy shade of amber. thick and full white head has terrific retention and leaves a thick lace behind.

Full of lush layers of hop goodness. Grapefruit slaps you in the face and is followed with other citrusy aromas as well as some piney aspects that are drowned out by the citursy-ness. Other flowery aromas as well as the most minute bit of malt.

Rich with hops obviously, hell very hoppy yet very good. Only complaint is it is a little thin but nothing that deters me from wanting more. The rich citrusy hops, leave you wanting another drink to quench your thirst they are so drying, it's basically a no win situation. Flowery, grapefruity, peach goodness. Mid palate is lacking roundness but otherwise delicious.

Because of the immense amount of hops it would be hard to drink many of these.

Photo of
4.32/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bomber.

Hazy, amber in color. Medium size, light tan head. "Pucker Up" according to the bottle.

Smell is grapefruit and pine resin, I think you could strip paint with this, but I mean that in a good way. Some fruit scent as well, maybe peach.

Hops are what this is all about, and you get a grapefruit mashed right in your face. A biscuity note for about a 1/4 second when the hops let it peek through. Just a bit of sweet, again peach, as the beer warms a bit. Tiniest hint of alcohol, otherwise, very well hidden. Make no mistake, this beer is not about balance.

Medium + in body. Carbonation seems medium. Dry in finish, with quite a bit of alcohol warming along the way.

Hell of an IPA/DIPA/TIPA, whatever it is. All about the hops which is fine by me. It will absolutely ruin your palate for later, so watch out.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

There's no date on the bottle, but with a little research I've deduced this is most likely from the Spring '06 release. As such, it's been a while, say 6+ months, since this has been brewed, and time does not necessarily serve hop bombs like this well from my experience. I figured that, as I just got a hold of this bottle thanks to the help of Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora, I should jump on the opportunity to imbibe.

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours with a half-finger head, a little better retention of said head than I'm used to with most DIPA's. Lacing is sheety and fizzy upon swirling the glass, leaving little remaining ridges and peaks of lace that is just a little above standard for the style. Body is a deep amber with some blood orange highlights, as well as a brackish murkiness which suggests unfiltered apple juice.

Smell: This isn't particularly hop-dominant, so I'm opting to say even 6 months age has not done this beer well. Up front there is more a sweet, tangy aroma that mildly resembles hot sweet mustard. A bizarre characteristic? Certainly, but it isn't overwhelmingly annoying or detracting, just hard to make heads or tails about. The hop aromas are there, but under a little more pushing than one would expect - deep, almost roastey pine character, a lot of it, and some more faint grapefruit-orange tangerine-like aromas in the back of it. In terms of malt, I get some more roastiness, and a little caramel and toffee, most likely from the age. I also pick up a little soy in there somehow. Anyway, age hasn't destroyed this thing, but you can tell the hops were, at release, more explosive. It's interesting to see how the malts, which many other reviews from earlier last year seem to have not been able to detect at all, have come through, however.

Taste: A lot more citric in terms of hop presence - big but not super big grapefruit, tangerine, some sweeter orange. A little semi-cloying sweetness hits your tongue, probably a combination of some maltiness and the sweet citric hop notes. Still a little pine-y on the back end. A little woodsey, but the roasted malt character I detected in the aroma is eluding me in the flavor. A little bubblegum. Some saltiness which might be what I detected as soy sauce in the nose.

Mouthfeel: Under carbonated, probably due to the aging more than anything else, as it is not super undercarbonated. Otherwise oily, and also a little too astringent for a DIPA. Some light alcohol burn on the back end, but nothing too damning.

Drinkability: I will have to try this again when it is re-released for this year, but considering its age, Hopsickle has faired fairly well. It had some characteristics I normally don't find in a DIPA, and I enjoyed that aspect.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a big Moylanders bottle into Stone Ruination glass. The beer was clear and more orange than brown, light tank thin foam on top. The aroma is all hops, complex in that it covers all the bases from apricot through grapefruit. The flavor is all hops too, burning and astringent and nicely thick in the palate. Strong contender for top DIPA I've tried.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer poured a medium amber hue and formed a nice off white foam head that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. A heavy aroma of hops, with strong elements of grapefruit and pine with a hint of caramel. A heavy flavor of caramel, grapefruit and pine. It has a medium, creamy body and the finish has a touch of bitterness and astringent. A very rich double IPA. Definitely a beer you want to take slow with all thats going on.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

22 Oz Bottle, not aged. Purchased 01/07

appearance: Copper/Orange. Thin head.

smell: Nice late hop addition. Smells like a bag of Casacade pellets. My curiousity is peaked.

taste: Says Triple hoppy, I’m not too sure about that. I’ve been on a hops kick as of late so my buds might need some calibration back to reality. Piney hops with a grapefruit bitter finish. Some sweet malts thrown in. Balance is tilted slightly towards bitterness.

mouthfeel: nice carbonation, full and pleasurable.

drinkablity: It's a fun beer to drink. Similar to a very barnyard Gueuze that assaults you but you just have to keep sipping. So yes it's hoppy. I'd like it to have a bit more sweet malt, but then agian that might spoil the experience. The finish is like having a bit of hop pellet in your mouth.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to SS jrdegriselles for this bottle which is always on my Wants. Wonderful hoppy aroma. Big West Coast hop taste. Carbonation is done right and this is an easy to drink big DIPA. IMO, this is one of the best DIPAs available in bottles today.
Cheers.

V.06
Beautiful strawberry orange pour with a minimal cotton head that recedes into a light foam topping. Noticeable lacing.
Fresh hoppy aromatics with citric, grapefruit appeal. I hate to say this, but when I popped the top, I smelled Stone's 10th.
Taste is not as good as the nose, but delicious nonetheless. I wish the floral aromatics carried through, but the grapefuit tartness is very evident. A bit harsh as far as bitterness. Actually, more bitter that Stone's product...is this possible?!
Oily, with a residual sharpness on the tongue & gums.
Drinkability...maybe some age will iron out the bite, and then I could drink this everyday. But as it stands, no more than one per sitting for me.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks Santa! Oops...I mean BeerRun13 for this bomber of hoppy goodness.

Pours an orange-ish amber color with just a slight shill haze that goes away to reveal a clear, beautiful glass of beer. Off-white head left average amounts of lacing.

I love the smell of this one. Strong pine, grass, leafy floral, and even some citrus. Very green aroma...just how I like it. What about the malts, you ask? I don't know...I can't find 'em.

The flavor is almost as good as the smell. Very green, bitter and hoppy. I can pick up some caramel malts...just enough to put on the other side of the scale...but the scale is leaning way over to the hop side. Yummy.

Medium body with good carbonation. Dry, bitter aftertaste has me thirsting for more. I keep smacking my lips. I'm not sure if that's the sticky dryness that the beer has to it or my mouths way of telling me it wants more. Thanks again, Jason.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Bomber bottle purchased today at Cable Bev in Bardonia, NY. Baboom! This stuff is the goods! Big, Bold, Hoppy goodness. Pours a glowing clear shade of shimering amber, light tan head, pleanty of fine lacing and sheeting. Nose tells of what is to come, FRESH HOPS! California/San Diego style all the way. Big, oily, herbal, citric Hops, in the nose,on the taste buds and long into the finish. Well done, go get some any and all lovers of fresh hoppy brews. Wish I bought a case...

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a chrystal clear amber color with a nice light tan head that leaves very nice lacing that does stick around for quite a while. Lots of hops present in this smell, although what I smell is mostly citrusy and piney aromas from the hops. There is also a nice presence of sweet light malts, a fine compliment to the strong hop smell. The hops don't let up in the taste that's for sure, plenty of hops here, alot of pine taste mixed with a deep earthen flavor. There's also sweet buttery malty taste to somewhat balance out the hops, though the hops still definitely prevail. There's also a bit of sweet grapefruit taste as well, but I'm putting my money on that coming from the hops. The beer could stand to be a bit more carbonated but overall it's a damn fine beer and I'm glad I picked up a few!!!

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a honey colored clear amber with minimal head despite a vigorous pour to try and induce more carbonation. Head retention was lacking and completely dissipated in minutes.

Smell was heavenly, deep fruity tones of aromatic citrus notes, maybe some submerged cherry notes as well. Hops were everywhere, both piney and citrus hops hit you off the nose as well as the sweet smell of a complex malt character.

Tastes much like it pours, alcohol is present but not overpowering and blends nicely with a hop finish. I noticed that right from the beginning you got hope flavor with this beer, and it was rpesent throughout, unlike some beers which really hit you at the end with the hop punch. At the same time, the hops were not overpowering and allowed the deep cherry and citrus flavors to permeate as well.

This could have used more carbonation I felt, maybe a bad bottle but it drank a little on the flat side.

I will definitely try it again.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to fartingdog for sending this beer as part of BC-2. The beer was chilled for about 20 minutes. This beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very pleasing clear amber coloration with bubbling carbonation. The head is a rocky creamy biege coloration. The head has nearly perfect retention and leaves thick lacing on the side of my glass.

Smell: The beer is dominated by citrus, floral and pine oily hops. I can smell a submissive malty caramel sweetness under the hops.

Taste: According to the bottle this beer is triple hoppy. The beer delivers a very juicy citrus hops with the flavors of lemon, grapefruit, peppery mango combined with grassy herbal pine oilyness. The malty backbone delivers a great supporting sweetness. I have got to have one of these fresh!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is medium plus on the body. The hops leave a very long lasting flavor. The beer is unbalanced on the hoppy side but this is the point of the beer. If you like them hoppy you will like this beer. The beer was very easy to drink and I could kill a couple of these in a night.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

22 oz. bomber no freshness date. Pours a cruddy, hazy rust with a fuzzy off white head, holds well, excellent lacing looks like ice forming inside my glass. Aroma is hoppy beyond all recognition, complex, floral, pine and citrus in the background while herbal and spicy smells take dominance. For some reason the aroma reminds me of chicken bullion. Medium to full bodied. Plenty of malt for some initial sweetness but the hops really dominate this brew, if hops were a fruit, this is what the juice would taste like. Like the aroma the hop flavors are pretty complex, citrus, herbs, floral and spice. The bittering hops are not out of control, a delayed reaction really that leaves the palate like I had been sucking on pine tar. 9.2% is no joke either about 3/4 through a glass and I feel nice.

Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Received in BIF 46...this had been on my wants list for a while, right after I had their Moylander DIPA.

Orange, amber, caramel or something like that. Has a touch of chill haze. Head is between off-white and light tan. Only a finger thick on the pour. Reduced to a skim layer of bubbles with scattered bubble pockets on top. Forms a thin, bubble-dense layer on the glass as it recedes.

Aroma is amazingly strong. I can smell it from quite a distance away. Loaded with citrus, floral and pine hops, lots of sweet malts and hops, but hops take the stage here. This is super inviting.

Hops, hops, and more hops. A bit unbalanced but that is somewhat expected. Lots of citrus again, grapefruit mainly, especially in the finish. Malts are quite subdued and working their ass off to keep up with the hops. Finish is pretty bitter but has some metallic notes to it. No hints of alcohol which might prove dangerous later on.

Mouthfeel is thinner than I was expecting. Has a bit of carbonation bite to it right after the swallow, but finishes dry, even though my mouth still feels wet.

Good drinkability if you love hops, but a little unbalanced for me. This sits a bit heavy on my stomach for some reason. Definately a good beer if you want that dry, biting hop presence.

4.29/5  rDev +4.1%

Murky reddish-amber body topped by a full head of foam. It doesn't look pretty.

Pungent aroma of dank, citrusy hops is palpable five feet away from the glass. Bam! It's exceptionally hoppy.

Mouth puckeringly bitter flavor of fresh resinous whole flower hops. Noticeable dank, catty taste of high alpha hops. Fresh hop juice in a glass.

Damn it's good, and with a little more alcohol it could be a close relative of Pliny.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a clear orange/red rust color with a giant white foamy head. The smell is a strong citrus hop aroma with some "bisquity" scents. The taste is crisp with a ton of hops. The first sip is all citrus hops,tangerine?, then as the beer moves down the tongue a sweet malt and carmel flavor is present and finally the hop bitterness ends the sip. This is thinner than other Doubles,but the taste is great and worth trying out. A real treat for someone on the East coast. Good job Moylan"s.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

22 oz bottle, "triple IPA" posted on the front label. Nice amber/copper in color, very hazy with a good amount of sediment. Fluffy white and very sticky head tops it off. Lots of lacing, great retention.
Deeply pungent hops up front, hints oily and citrusy hops, theres a deep earthy aroma that covers all the citrus and more hidden pine notes in the nose. There is an undertone of vanilla, wood, and a big sweetness is present in the smell as well.
A big wallop of hops to the tongue mainly consisting of orange, pine, medicinal hop notes with a pretty big sweet malty backdrop. Theres almost an oaky wood taste throughout this beer that I found in the beer's aroma too.
The mouthfeel is sticky and full and allows every bittering hop note to find a taste bud.
In spite of the high abv and the massive hop flavor this is one of those beers you dont want to stop drinking, its too tasty to stop. The hop profile is delicious and incredibly defined. This is one of the most unique tasting big IPA's I've ever drank. An awesome beer!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Westsidethreat on the trade. Pours a cloudy golden amber color, nice carbonation, small fizzy tan head, lots of lacing/islands afterwards. Scents of hops, sweet malts, citrus, and some spices. The taste is absolutely delicious, very hoppy with a nice sweet malty/hoppy dry finish. Medium body, well balanced between the hops/malts. Very drinkable, this is an excellent DIPA, way to go Moylan's.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Hazy autumnal orange/rusty golden. Two finger head that is very tightly bubbled. There's some thin lacing decorating the glass after drinking the beer.

Big fruity hop smell but very piney at the same time. Almost comparable to a pine tree which bears citrus fruit. There's a subtle hint of booze in the nose.

Juicy hops delight the tongue with lots of fruity flavors. Cirtrus like mango, lemon, lime, orange. The taste is nicely balanced not only by a roasted caramel malt flavor but also a big piney hops. This one finishs very dry and bitter.

Delightful beer. Many thanks go out to lou91 for this fine example.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery