Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bomber bottle from the cooler at Glenville Beverage. Pours golden-amber with a white head that stays around forEVER. Aroma is like hop jelly on toast - citrus, slight lily-like floral notes, and a solid toasty malt underneath.

The nose don't lie on this one - toasted malt with a firm citric bitterness (hello, Tomahawk, pleased to meet you!) that flows across the palate like Bennie Moore paint. The bitter/toasty/citrus flavors are amazingly consistent throughout the sip, with a faint warming surge o' alcohol coming in to play near the end. Finishes bitter, toasty, with a tongue-sucking citrus Kung Fu grip. Chewy and all the better for it. I could do a couple of these, fall over, and go boom - more than two might be too much for the tongue, let alone the alcohol.

Very solid big IPA.

sponberg, May 14, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

$5.50 for a bomber @ DeCicco's market, pelham ny (ah... beer hunting on company time...)

eyes...
3 full fingers of monsterous foam, as it recedes at a decent pace it leaves tell tale traces on tell tale faces... the head is craggy with big bubbles on top and smaller well constructed marbles towards the actual beer, the fine carbonation streaming up is hard to pick up unless you hold this up to the light ("hold it up to the light carol ann"). a very nice amber with orange highlights (sort of like a redhead who has been out in the sun too long) color that is clean and crystal throughout the glass.. damn, this is good.

nose...
hops. I know... pretty damn obvious .. I know. OK.. you get that "sea fresh" scent from the cascades, a nice citric bite from the tomahawk, and that great floral aroma from the centennials... what a nice blend ! granted, the malt base is VERY hard to detect but this is one of the best smelling DIPAs I have had the pleasure of snorting. This is on par with troegg's nugget nectar (well.. ok, almost...), the hops also lend a little green (almost wood) scent in there.. holy bat balls batman, we have soime f'n hops here boys... this is so good I can practically crank out a batch sniffing this.. damn inviting. The smell is on par with beers I have had on tap that were dry hopped in the cask... impressive.

taste etc...
medium mouthfeel, in fact a touch syrupy. it coats the tongue almost immediately.. very oily, hop oils all over the damn place, a lingering bitterness that is somewhat not too bitter actually. I'm really curious about the IBUs on this.. it seems less bitter than the Sly Fox Pale I had yesterday which is I think 40ibus... the carbonation is just enough to carry it, and just short of prickly. Very easy drinking (if you like hops) and much less aggressive in terms of overpowering bitterness than alot of DIPAs. It almost has an orange candy type of background to it to balance out the massive action of titillation going on with the hops here... This is refreshing but at the same time BIG. the ABV warms a smidge but going down this drinks like some american IPAs I have had. The hop bitterness at times almost reminds me of bitter chocolate.. which I suppose I should interpret as the malts actually fighting a bit too be noticed in this tidal wave of hop madness.

verdict?
oh hell yes. A hop lover's dream... This reminds me of the bert grant fresh hop... on crack... with a twist... @ the price I paid this is a steal. Glad I bought a few bottles ! and I will buy more ! A real winner for a DIPA

Ego, May 09, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

I just got in from cutting the grass and needed something hoppy to quench my thirst. Luckily I had a Hopsickle chilling in the refridgerator. The beer pours a very clear copper color with a big creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick sheet on the surface of the beer and leaves behind lots of clumps of lace on the side of the glass. A strong hoppy aroma of pine mixed with some citrus grapefruit and orange.

This full bodied brew is somewhat chewy and very smooth. Definitely a sipping beer, however it hides the 9% alcohol very well. The flavor is much like the aroma, hoppy pine, grapefruit and orange citrus. There's some toasted malt in the background trying to balance out all the hops. It finishes with a bit of alcohol and grassy notes.

I'm not sure if it's the beer or me, but I found the strong hop flavor to fade a bit as I drank the beer from my glass. It's almost like my tastebuds gave up, ran away and hid under my tongue as this beer was being poured down my palate. I also noticed that the hop aroma was more pronounced as the beer warmed.

WanderingFool, May 07, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance – The big, easy head was gorgeous to see and fell gently atop a beautiful brownish-orange liquid.

Smell – This nose was thick and heavy and loaded with pine resin and lots of citrusy notes. The malt base added to the hops giving this one a big, full bouquet.

Taste – The hops here are so big they’re almost crunchy. They came over rightly from the nose and just about drowned out the malt supporting cast.

Mouthfeel – This was medium-bodied and very bitter but not over the top. The hops were slick in the mouth and stuck to your teeth like a wad of taffy.

Drinkability – This is a big, hoppy, flavorful DIPA well worthy of the Moylan’s name. A big thumbs up to Kim for sharing this with me.

RoyalT, Apr 29, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Got my hands on another bottle of this, however the last bottle I had was a screen printed 22oz bomber and this one has a paper label. Based on the way it tastes and smells versus the last bottle, I'm going to assume that my initial review was from a previous year's release.

Pours a really dark copper to red hue and wears a brilliant tanned creamy crown, generous ammounts of belgian lace appear on my glass as I swirl the brew around to release it's luscious aromatics.

Nice clean nutty caramel aroma with tons of fresh piney and citrus hop essence and a bit of dank, herbal cannibus. Smells awesome, so fresh and fragrant, I really enjoy the fact that even the aroma is so well balanced between malt and hop characteristics.

Good flavor too... Hopsickle has a very clean bittering, some grapefruit and lemony citrus fruits dance with piney and resinous hop notes, and some lightly sweet caramel malt to balance it all out. A bit of an alcoholic bite in the finish, but otherwise really nicely done.

Creamy, medium carbonation and medium bodied with a warm dry finish.

Huge drinkability on this one, its a damn shame this is a seasonal because if it were readily available fresh I would seek it out often. I only hope that the place I bought it from has more bottles next time I am there!

kmcnair, Apr 21, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

22 oz. bottle purchased at The Jug Shop in San Francisco.

Pours a murky orange amber with a small white head that maintains. Rather thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a bomb of citrus hops right up the olfactory canal. I detect hints of pineapple.

Taste is a blast of both citrus hops and a bitter bite from start to finish. It's a pretty big hop bomb, but a little unbalanced. I'd at least like to see the malt put up a little fight. Bitterness really lingers.

Full body, slick texture. Plenty of carbonation.

I like a hop bomb, but this is just an average attempt.

MaltyGoodness, Apr 10, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Delivered from the tap in a 10 oz snifter at the brewery in Novato. Deep hazy copper color with a thin off white head. Over the top grape fruit aroma, just a touch of caramel. Flavor is their dipa on steroids. More orange and grapefruit. Light caramel. Nice bitterness. It amazes me that they are able to deliver this much hop flavor and bitterness, and still keep this beer drinkable. It hides the alcohol well. The mouth feel is slick and light. If you like their standard Double IPA, and want even more hop flavor, you will lover this beer,

carln26, Apr 06, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a hazed reddish brown ale with a good tan head. Impressive head considering the alcohol level.

Smell is intense and strong "C" type hops. Intense grapefruit and pine hops. Tropical fruit scent of pineapple is also present, as is eucalyptus.

Taste is much milder than the scent would indicate lots of tropical fruit flavors and some woodiness. Not really sweet but there is a bit of malt in the taste. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and eucalyptus are all in this but it seems to lack the complexity of other super IPAs.

Mouthfeel is good.

A beer worth trying but this simply isn't in the same class as Dreadnaught, or Pliny the Younger and Elder. An extremely powerful hop bomb it simply lacks the refinement of the best beers of this type.

Zorro, Apr 03, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A highly anticipated brew courtesy of germaniac...

Poured a burnt reddish orange with about two fingers of hoppy head. Smells intensely of citrus and pine as the hops make their presence overwhelmingly known. If they made car air fresheners in this scent I'd buy a box.

As expected, this one packs a bitter hop taste from start to finish. If you're not a hophead, I wouldn't even bother with this beer. But since my tastebuds seem to enjoy this regular punishment, I'm loving this one. As the bottle claims, this truly is a tribute to the hop, and even with the bottle reading 2005, the taste seems amazingly fresh. For 9.2%ABV, I'm impressed, can't taste a hint of alcohol. While the tomahawk, cascades, and centennials clearly dominate here, if you really try you can detect a light carmelly malt finish. A great double IPA here, and one I will be looking to find in my area. Recommended for hopheads only.

bkett01, Apr 02, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance – 22 oz silk screened bottle dated 2005 from Julio's. The beer pours a relatively clear amber with orange highlights. The one-finger head quickly sinks to a thin wispy covering. Relatively weak head for a beer with such a high hopping rate.

Smell – Strong pine hops leap from the bottle with the initial psst of the popped cap. On closer smells this beer yields simply wave after wave of clean, fresh, American citrus and pine hops. There is basically nothing else going on in the aroma, but what do you expect from a beer called Hopsical?

Taste – Strong, lingering, mouth-coating bitterness follows this beer from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. There is some sweet malt hidden somewhere in the folds of the bitterness, but it does little to balance the metric ton of hops in this IPA.

Mouthfeel – Slightly sticky, slick medium-full body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – Once my taste buds went dormant this was a relatively easy to drink DIPA with about as much hop flavor as I have had outside of actually being in California. That being said avoid this beer unless you want a hop explosion and you don't mind not being able to feel your tongue for a few hours. Another winner from Moylan's, glad I can now buy their beers in Massachusetts.

OldSock, Mar 31, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

clear orange amber with an inch of creamy off-white head that leaves rings of lace.

tons of oily hop aromas; mainly grassy and rindy. some light gummy grapefruit candy aroma.

hoppy and alcoholic. medium bodied with a slight carbonation and a coating bitterness. pine, citrus, and a sweetness that seems more from the alcohol than the malt. if there's malt in there, i'm not tasting it. unbalanced and boozy, but it serves for a hop fix.

Prufrock, Mar 28, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Wow, this is a hop explosion. I could smell them as soon as I cracked this baby open. The beer pours a hazy copper orange hue with a nice creamy off white head with great lacing all over the glass. The hop aroma is amazing to me. I get grapefuit and citrus in the nose. I never thought I would say this but after tasting this a bit, I think it is almost too hoppy and bitter with not enough of a malt backbone. I was only slightly disappointed however. I feel like some people, including myself, would not find this as drinkable as some of the other huge IPA monsters.

mcowgill, Mar 26, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Polyphenol laden hazy bronze in hue. One fingered, dense, cream white head leaves intricate lace. Pungent, acute aroma of orange rind, tangerine julius infused with pine sap and cannibus. As the beer warms, soft hints of buttery caramel arise and provide contrast. Quite a pleasure to inhale, indeed. Incipient in flavor is a hawkish barrage of grapefruit pith and quinine, which is ensued by softer notes of marmalade and bready malt. Mid palate surfaces a hair of coating ethanol, which seemingly serves to carry the luscious hop presence down the esophagus... the hop character is permeating enough that my throat perceives it. Emerging late, perhaps as the palate becomes nearly overwhelmed by hop oils, is a pleasant honeyish, sweet biscuit impression. Nearly full bodied, with ample dextrins providing girth to support the driving hop character. Finishes with a brusque savory cracker hint, but otherwise agreeably and blatantly bittersweet. An excellent DIPA. Although not one to quaffed quickly in my book, this is a brew that showcases what can be beautful about excessive west coast hopping (when combined with a supple malt backbone.) Delicious.

marc77, Mar 22, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer smells fucking outstanding. I got a massive noseful of grassy and grapefruity hops immediately after I poured the beer. Wow! Okay, now I can check out the appearance. It pours a lively orange-amber with an off-white head that shrinks quite a bit, but doesn't disappear. The taste is appropriately hoppy. The Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial hops kick your palate's ass in a three pronged attack of grass, citrus and spice. The abv was annoyingly noticeable for the first 1/5 of the first snifter, but it has either settled down or the beer has numbed my palate to the point were I don't really notice it. I can still taste the hops and that's all I care about right now. The mouthfeel is smooth, the finish is rough. This beer is aggressively big and hoppy and so good. I'm glad I bought all four of the bottles I found.

goschool, Mar 20, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Brick colored liquid. Unbelievably big, sprucey and floral hop aroma, with huge resins, pine and wet forest. Just a monstrous hop aroma. Insanely big body and texture, with a creamy and sticky texture. Caramel and toffee malt flavors in a big fashion, with a perfect hop bill, giving the perfect amount of bitterness and flavor. Perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness, hop flavor and malt flavors. Totally RAW and awesome.

Crosling, Mar 15, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

"Super hoppy" the screened on label says. Pucker up for this hop tribute, the brewers say. They even toss in some lightning bolts to bracket the Imperial on the front. Some may say this is a warning to the uninitiated beer drinker, while serving as a siren song for hopheads everywhere.

Hop scent abounds from this hazy toasted orange brew. Oily and bittersweet, grapefruit rinds and pine trees.

A tongue bucklingly bitter bite lies within. Hops run the gamut here, starting out crisp and sharp, then delving into grassy territory, with just a bit of citric tang. Levels out slightly due to a background sweetness from some malt. It's hard to imagine the amount of malts that would have to be used to even briefly show up in a beer of this hop magnitude.

It's very drinkable for what it is- a pallette destroying hop showcase. More than one 22oz bottle of this at a sitting would be too much, I think. After the first, the overall experience would take a big hit from the dulling of tastebuds.

germaniac, Mar 11, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz from Colonial Spirits in Acton, MA. amber in color. 2 finger head settling down to a thin but substantial layer. real thick chunky lacing. smells of exactly what the name suggests....fresh hops. according to Moylans this is brewed with Tomahawk, Cascade, and Centennial hops. the taste is incredible! this is hophead territory. I can best compare this to Ruination. dry and hoppy through and through. the finish is clean with an overwhelming hops flavor. considering the style I think this has great drinkability. the consistency of this is nice...it has body, but it goes down well, and finishes dry, clean, with only the taste of fresh hop oil. an over the top IPA.

ILiveOffHops, Mar 06, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

came across this little gem today actually. 4 bottles left on the shelf, grabbed two. served from a bomber at a slight chill. used an ommegang tulip as my testing glass.poured a nice amber color with about a finger of head. smell: didn't get too strong a smell from the bottle, but from the glass a rather tame hoppy / piney/ citrus aroma. nice. taste: first taste on a fresh palate was a nice hoppy but subtle citrus flavor. more of the same on the next sip. mouthfeel: given the name hopsickle i thought the beer would be insanly hoppy, but no nice smooth hop citrus flavor that didn't burn the buds , alcohol was very well hidden with this one. very drinkable in my opinion but take it easy given the abv this one will bite your ass later. wouldn't mind sitting down to another glass right now.

jaxon53, Mar 05, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

The 2005 Hopsickle Imperial IPA poured from a 22oz bottle...

The color is otherworldly, beaming with rays of sunshine and a beautiful cropped head that seems almost cloudlike.

Allright, that's enough of that....it's pretty damn impressive, that's what. A fantastically floral nose with bursting hints of white fruits and fresh flowery hops. At 9.2% this is the IPA to end all IPA's. The hops are powerful and pungent, but it a good way. The body is strong and rich. The finish is clean but long. The fruit shines through all those intense hops, bringing orange zest and lemon peel along for the ride.

This is truly a delicious brew, and I'm glad we can get it on the East Coast now.

MattBrooks, Mar 01, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours brilliant copper with a pillowy white head, shortish retention with well patterned lacework.
Screaming fresh in the nose.
Pungent, slick hop oils wrapped around candied mango and Grand Marnier infused fruit nuggets.
Aromatics continue with bursts of tangerine, bruised pears, and powdered red grapes, smashed with spruce boughs.
Medium to fullish body, sticky and puckering on the pallet.
Bitter up front and quickly overwhelmed by a crushing hop attack.
A tall order of alcohol infused citrus fruits pressed through a pine needle sieve.
Alcohol is negligent amongst the wheelbarrow full of over-ripe citrus fruits and sap.
Finishes slow and bitter, with lingering orange zest and pitch.
Any more west coast and it would be in the ocean.

brewandbbq, Feb 24, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +18%

I'm quite sure I've got the right beer here, mine just had a paper label not painted on like in this picture.
My 22 oz. bottle poured a pale golden color with a superb white head that left GREAT lacing. The lace remained long after the glass was empty.

The aroma was hoppy, hoppy, hoppy, and did I mention hoppy?
The smell was very fresh and floral.

Hoppy all the way with maybe a little bit of malt sweetness in there somewhere. A bitterness is left in the back of the mouth. The hops settle just a bit (but that just makes it super hoppy instead of mega-super hoppy), as the beer warms allowing a little maltiness to show through

This DIPA tastes phenomenal! I just hope you can handle the hops... I know I can.

Creamy and smooth in the mouth, and the hops dance on the tounge with a good amount of carbonation. I'm suprised that the hops don't make this beer feel more harsh at the swallow.

A great beer for hopheads! Hopsickle is dangerously drinkable at 9.2% ABV (you can't even tell). As hoppy as it is you could still easily drink another after the first... or third. This is probably the best DIPA I've ever had.

BeerRun13, Feb 24, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a dark orange, almost amber, clear with a nice white frothy head. Aroma of massive hops. Oily, piney, some sour orange citrus. Juniper. Very puckerful.

Flavor follows through with a dense, heavy mouthfeel of hops. Strong alcohol bite and pungent oils. I don't mean to be insensitive, but the swallow of the beer is followed by a dose of hop-infused saliva that is just not enjoyable. This one is just too much of a good thing. I'm having a hard time finishing the bomber, not sure I want to. It's very interesting for what it is, but I just can't take the overpowering hops.

This one starts well enough, but it's not for me.

Dukeofearl, Feb 21, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to RedwoodGeorge for this generous offering.
Pours a clear, bright copper color with a full finger of bright white head...sticks around for a bit and produces some clingy web-like lacing.
Aroma is total hops...similar to a pack of hop pellets with a sweet citrus finish.
The taste is more hops...bitter to the max and not balanced with the malt, but definitely what I had expected.
Alcohol is very well hidden...finishes very clean.
Mouthfeel is fairly thick and the carbonation is divine.
Very much an extreme example of the style and worth checking out if you are a hophead...I'd expect this one to be over the top for some, but definitely delivers for me.

warriorsoul, Feb 06, 2006

What a tasty treat!
No doubt there are a lot of hops in here. The most impressive thing to me about this beer is how the hops are so dominating yet the bitterness is a pleasant sensation as opposed to the astringency I find in some “super hopped" beers. There is a fair amount of malt in here and the body, carbonation, and lacing are excellent but make no mistake about it... the hops rule this brew!
If you are a fan of hops seek this out. One glass down and my lips are tingling... really.

Chadbrew, Feb 04, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to dickinsonbeer...
Appears an amber with a small off white head and scattered lacing.
Smell is of biscuit malt, sugary pine, and intense caramel and grapefruit.
Taste is of caramel, pine hops, citrus, and a bit of a bitter blast.
Mouthfeel is sugary rich, full bodied, bitter orange peel.
Nice beer but it's just a bit overkill of hops that needs some more balance.

weeare138, Jan 19, 2006