1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bottle pours out an unremarkable cloudy orange with obscure hints of oversized, sheer bubbles rising with speed. eggy, airy foam sits atop the brew and leaves lace cakes to be reckoned with. shows some visual strength.

beautiful aroma.. brown sugar double malt presence works well with an herbal tea odor. throw in some sun-baked grass clippings and sugar-sprinkled grapefruit and here you have it. this is one rambunctiously green smellin' ipa.

whoah there soldier.. this beer isn't quit as easy to drink as i imagined. it has a nice, super-sweet molasses start, which quickly jumps into an oily hop bitterness.. thankfully low on the chalk factor. maybe i should have poured this into a snifter and not an imperial pint...warmth brings out some funk which distracts from the pleasant sweetness, kind of like the super extreme hop profile has disintegrated slightly into a mildy-super extreme, leaving behind some faint aluminum foil and rotten orange peels. still, the predominant thing here is loads of fresh hops, and moylan's doesn't disappoint in that.

look for fresh bottles, but either way, highly recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Hop aroma erupted from the bottle like few others. It's akin to sticking your nose in a bag of hops. Chewy, sweet caramel malt and alcohol stand up well against the sack of hops. Flavorfull floral hop taste up front followed by the malty alcohol, and it all wraps up in a solid chunk of grapefruit. I'm not sure any of the other aspects matter with this hop monster, but I'll take a stab. Glowing apricot colored beer is hazy, which is no surprise with this level of hopping. Poured a small off-white head that never amounted to much, but left some speckles of lace as I drank the beer. Somehow both the aroma and mouthfeel are thick and chewy; go figure. I'm loving it right now, but I'm going to wait until I finish the bottle to count on drinkability. In the mean time I'll check to make sure I have the word "hop" in every sentence.... It's still looking pretty good. Flavors intensify as it warms. The only thing I could see getting in the way of drinkability is the intensely bitter finish. If you're looking for an IIPA this is it.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured an amber golden with a minimal head that quickly faded. You could tell that this beer was so saturated with hop oils that it suppressed any chances of a big head.

The aroma was absolutely unreal and wonderfully pungent. The nose was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops (duh) with enough of a light caramel maltiness to help round things out. As potent (and lovely) as the hops were, they were very smooth. The beer was well attenuated so it wasn't smackingly sweet like, which is were I feel that most double IPAs are susceptible to loosing points. The beer had a very "bright" taste and a nice spiciness that I prefer in IPAs and DIPAs. Many brewers out there bottle condition their DIPAs, but in my opinion, the yeast cake zaps much of the intended potency of the beer after a few months. When it comes to DIPAs, I'm in favor of enough time for flavors to meld, but not mellow.

The mouthfeel was medium and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right. As I mentioned the beer was well attenuated and considering it was 9.2%, it was in no way too heavy and very drinkable. If you're lucky enough to find it on the shelves, buy as many as you can.

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

appearance: a very hazy deep red color, with nice head. I'm think the whole imperial Red thing is just brewer preference. you could call this an imperial Red, because it is red. but so was the moylan's ipa and regular dipa, which i wasn't the biggest fan of. only in california can a a brewer have a "regular" DIPA and then also come out with a special one. uh yeah, very, very hazy...(hops!)

smell: mmm hops. and malt. very similar to the other moylan's ipas, somehow i like this more. i like what Bear Republic does better, but sorry that's off subject. you can smell a nice caramal blending in with the cascades.

taste: the first taste is a blast of stingy hoppiness, followed by a hoppy middle. also in the middle are some nice smooth caramal malts that hold the whole thing together. no alcohol in the taste. pretty darn good. not really bitter at all. perhaps under-bittered.

mouthfeel: nice oiliness. like drinking hop resin. one should expect that when the beer is called hopsickle and has little hop pictures all over it.

drinkability: a nice drinkable DIPA. If you need hops injected into your bloodstream stat, , this is your beer. truthfully, this won't become a staple for me. to borrow from another reviewer, this is truly a one-dimensionial bottle of boredom.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a gorgeous orange-yellow with a half finger head that melts to a lasting, sticky lacing.
Aroma is pure fresh leafy green hops.
Taste is immediately fresh green hops, then citrus bite hops, then more hops. This beer is definately all about the hops. I find no malt (although a sweet hop taste) and no alcohol (although it comes in at over 9 %)
Aftertaste of...uh...uh....uh....citrus hops!
If you are a hop lover, this is heaven in a bottle. I have never smelled nor tastes hops so fresh except maybe while I was brewing and just opened a brand new package of leaf hops.
Geeze...I love this beer. I think they went after something and nailed it right on.

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Served at just above fridge temperature in a large tasting glass. Thanks to Ego for the bottle, time for some hops!

Appearance- Pours a fantastic burning orange, like a summer sunset, with a wicked three finger head that looks amazing. Craggy, massive lacing drags behind.

Smell- A superb blend of citrusy, oily hops combined with your pine cone aromas attack the nose immediately, with enough finesse to showcase the malt too. A faint note of the ABV lingers inside the glass... this is nice.

Taste- An intense, tongue-gripping bitterness takes hold and dumps hop juice everywhere... this is a hopbomb like goes where few others would dare. As strong as this beer is, I wouldn't call it a mess by any means... it's just a bit one-sided with no malt backbone for balance.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Wow... what a surprisingly thin mouthfeel, after a bold-as-balls display in the sight and aroma departments! What little carbonation there is in the beginning crackles away fast into a quick, light finish that seems inappropriate for the style. The alcohol kick begins its descent in the belly and extremities, but I am not sipping and savoring like I might with a 90-minute. All in all, a pretty beer with a great smell and decent taste that was not all that easy to get through.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to Marc77 for sending me this treasure.

A famous gourmet cook stated " We first eat (drink) with our eyes" but the extreme aroma of Hopsickle closes your eyes and brings back the memories of a 100 brew sessions when you hovered over the boil just after adding a load of hops. Aroma 5.0!! This alone makes this a must try IIPA.

My 4.0 L New Belgium tulip glass off gassed these amazing aromatics from a burn orange brew with "hop turbidity" and a finger of creamy head from a rough pour - both head and lace were persistant.

Hops aside the miracle of Hopsickle IIPA is a balance of its massive IBUs and hop flavors with out going over the line on unfermentables. It never becomes cloying Piney-grapefruit rind bitterness and alcohol dry the palate and finally anestisize the taste buds putting out impulses of hop pleasure/pain! The second miracle is that the 9.2% abv is so well disquised.

Hopsickle is so intense that it takes a hit on drinkability. I shared my bomber with my brew partner and have based some of my rating on his reactions.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

The beer pours a cloudy dark gold color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is perfect. It has a solid malt scent that is complimented with a large bitter hop aroma. It's powerful and quite floral; very nice. The taste is great. It has a smooth taste that is bitter and full of hops all the way through. The malts help balance the flavor, but the hops dominate. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. It's got everything and lots of it; a hop lovers delight.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in a tulip glass. $7.70 at Downtown in Davis Sq.

A: Pours a dark amber with ruby highlights. One and a half frothy cream colored head that leaves great lace.
S: Aromas of piney and grapefruit hops dominate the nostrils. Smells like someone squeezed some hops right into this guy. What a great smelling beer. Abv is slighty noticeable.
T & M: Did I just run into a pine tree? Sticky, oily, and piney hops dominate with a grapefruity citrus interlude that is phenomenal. Prickly hop bite on the tip of the tongue. Caramel malts maybe, but underneath just peaking through. Then right into a great grapefruity bitter ending that stays put for awhile not allowing you to forget. Aftertaste a bit dry which is interesting because of the oilyness up front. Very smooth beer.
D: Definately a drinkable beer. Great tasting and the abv is well masked by the blast of pines and citrus. A tad different than the double as it's more bitter and dry. Will grab a few of these pine blasts when I'm at the store again. Keep 'em coming Moylan's!

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

copper with a thin-ish tan head that sticks around with a little lacing.
this thing is absolutely stinking of hops. it smells like a whole cascade hop flower smashed between your fingers. pine, grapefruit, pineapple, and maybe some amarillo asprin character in there too. jeez...
the taste starts with some sweeter hop qualities, pineapple and grapefruit. the pine hits after that, washing over your tongue with a very intense sprucyness. sticky bitterness puckers your mouth after that with some of the amarillo type flavors and continuation of the pine. finishes spicy and with a little alcohol. tangy lemon finds it's way back along the sides of the tongue. probably some caramel malt in there, but i'll be damned if i can detect more than a hint. this is all citrus and pine, i don't mean that in any sort of unenjoyable manner though.
full in the mouth with delicate, but moderate carbonation.
very drinkable because i like this kind of thing, but this is one of the most abrasively hoppy but delicious beers i've had, but i can already feel my palate falling apart halfway throught the bottle. an absolute must try.

2.17/5  rDev -47.2%

Bomber poured into a deep pilsner glass it forms a nice solid, tight, off white head that leaves plenty of spider like lacing. Light copper color. 9.2%abv and reads " Moylan's hopsickle imperial ale, triple hoppy".

Quite citrus hoppy in the nose, and translates to the taste as well. I get some musky wet cardboard. Similar to a wet towel that is left out to air dry, stale and bland at times. It is a "hop bomb" by my definition. Unbalanced is to be expected for the style but this really has no counter punch whatsoever. Resin, stick to your teeth type brew. Finishes very dry.

Notes: Not for me fellas. I love me a good IPA, DIPA, etc, but Ill pass on this one.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bomber bottle from the cooler at Glenville Beverage. Pours golden-amber with a white head that stays around forEVER. Aroma is like hop jelly on toast - citrus, slight lily-like floral notes, and a solid toasty malt underneath.

The nose don't lie on this one - toasted malt with a firm citric bitterness (hello, Tomahawk, pleased to meet you!) that flows across the palate like Bennie Moore paint. The bitter/toasty/citrus flavors are amazingly consistent throughout the sip, with a faint warming surge o' alcohol coming in to play near the end. Finishes bitter, toasty, with a tongue-sucking citrus Kung Fu grip. Chewy and all the better for it. I could do a couple of these, fall over, and go boom - more than two might be too much for the tongue, let alone the alcohol.

Very solid big IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

$5.50 for a bomber @ DeCicco's market, pelham ny (ah... beer hunting on company time...)

eyes...
3 full fingers of monsterous foam, as it recedes at a decent pace it leaves tell tale traces on tell tale faces... the head is craggy with big bubbles on top and smaller well constructed marbles towards the actual beer, the fine carbonation streaming up is hard to pick up unless you hold this up to the light ("hold it up to the light carol ann"). a very nice amber with orange highlights (sort of like a redhead who has been out in the sun too long) color that is clean and crystal throughout the glass.. damn, this is good.

nose...
hops. I know... pretty damn obvious .. I know. OK.. you get that "sea fresh" scent from the cascades, a nice citric bite from the tomahawk, and that great floral aroma from the centennials... what a nice blend ! granted, the malt base is VERY hard to detect but this is one of the best smelling DIPAs I have had the pleasure of snorting. This is on par with troegg's nugget nectar (well.. ok, almost...), the hops also lend a little green (almost wood) scent in there.. holy bat balls batman, we have soime f'n hops here boys... this is so good I can practically crank out a batch sniffing this.. damn inviting. The smell is on par with beers I have had on tap that were dry hopped in the cask... impressive.

taste etc...
medium mouthfeel, in fact a touch syrupy. it coats the tongue almost immediately.. very oily, hop oils all over the damn place, a lingering bitterness that is somewhat not too bitter actually. I'm really curious about the IBUs on this.. it seems less bitter than the Sly Fox Pale I had yesterday which is I think 40ibus... the carbonation is just enough to carry it, and just short of prickly. Very easy drinking (if you like hops) and much less aggressive in terms of overpowering bitterness than alot of DIPAs. It almost has an orange candy type of background to it to balance out the massive action of titillation going on with the hops here... This is refreshing but at the same time BIG. the ABV warms a smidge but going down this drinks like some american IPAs I have had. The hop bitterness at times almost reminds me of bitter chocolate.. which I suppose I should interpret as the malts actually fighting a bit too be noticed in this tidal wave of hop madness.

verdict?
oh hell yes. A hop lover's dream... This reminds me of the bert grant fresh hop... on crack... with a twist... @ the price I paid this is a steal. Glad I bought a few bottles ! and I will buy more ! A real winner for a DIPA

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

I just got in from cutting the grass and needed something hoppy to quench my thirst. Luckily I had a Hopsickle chilling in the refridgerator. The beer pours a very clear copper color with a big creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick sheet on the surface of the beer and leaves behind lots of clumps of lace on the side of the glass. A strong hoppy aroma of pine mixed with some citrus grapefruit and orange.

This full bodied brew is somewhat chewy and very smooth. Definitely a sipping beer, however it hides the 9% alcohol very well. The flavor is much like the aroma, hoppy pine, grapefruit and orange citrus. There's some toasted malt in the background trying to balance out all the hops. It finishes with a bit of alcohol and grassy notes.

I'm not sure if it's the beer or me, but I found the strong hop flavor to fade a bit as I drank the beer from my glass. It's almost like my tastebuds gave up, ran away and hid under my tongue as this beer was being poured down my palate. I also noticed that the hop aroma was more pronounced as the beer warmed.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance – The big, easy head was gorgeous to see and fell gently atop a beautiful brownish-orange liquid.

Smell – This nose was thick and heavy and loaded with pine resin and lots of citrusy notes. The malt base added to the hops giving this one a big, full bouquet.

Taste – The hops here are so big they’re almost crunchy. They came over rightly from the nose and just about drowned out the malt supporting cast.

Mouthfeel – This was medium-bodied and very bitter but not over the top. The hops were slick in the mouth and stuck to your teeth like a wad of taffy.

Drinkability – This is a big, hoppy, flavorful DIPA well worthy of the Moylan’s name. A big thumbs up to Kim for sharing this with me.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Got my hands on another bottle of this, however the last bottle I had was a screen printed 22oz bomber and this one has a paper label. Based on the way it tastes and smells versus the last bottle, I'm going to assume that my initial review was from a previous year's release.

Pours a really dark copper to red hue and wears a brilliant tanned creamy crown, generous ammounts of belgian lace appear on my glass as I swirl the brew around to release it's luscious aromatics.

Nice clean nutty caramel aroma with tons of fresh piney and citrus hop essence and a bit of dank, herbal cannibus. Smells awesome, so fresh and fragrant, I really enjoy the fact that even the aroma is so well balanced between malt and hop characteristics.

Good flavor too... Hopsickle has a very clean bittering, some grapefruit and lemony citrus fruits dance with piney and resinous hop notes, and some lightly sweet caramel malt to balance it all out. A bit of an alcoholic bite in the finish, but otherwise really nicely done.

Creamy, medium carbonation and medium bodied with a warm dry finish.

Huge drinkability on this one, its a damn shame this is a seasonal because if it were readily available fresh I would seek it out often. I only hope that the place I bought it from has more bottles next time I am there!

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

22 oz. bottle purchased at The Jug Shop in San Francisco.

Pours a murky orange amber with a small white head that maintains. Rather thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a bomb of citrus hops right up the olfactory canal. I detect hints of pineapple.

Taste is a blast of both citrus hops and a bitter bite from start to finish. It's a pretty big hop bomb, but a little unbalanced. I'd at least like to see the malt put up a little fight. Bitterness really lingers.

Full body, slick texture. Plenty of carbonation.

I like a hop bomb, but this is just an average attempt.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Delivered from the tap in a 10 oz snifter at the brewery in Novato. Deep hazy copper color with a thin off white head. Over the top grape fruit aroma, just a touch of caramel. Flavor is their dipa on steroids. More orange and grapefruit. Light caramel. Nice bitterness. It amazes me that they are able to deliver this much hop flavor and bitterness, and still keep this beer drinkable. It hides the alcohol well. The mouth feel is slick and light. If you like their standard Double IPA, and want even more hop flavor, you will lover this beer,

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a hazed reddish brown ale with a good tan head. Impressive head considering the alcohol level.

Smell is intense and strong "C" type hops. Intense grapefruit and pine hops. Tropical fruit scent of pineapple is also present, as is eucalyptus.

Taste is much milder than the scent would indicate lots of tropical fruit flavors and some woodiness. Not really sweet but there is a bit of malt in the taste. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and eucalyptus are all in this but it seems to lack the complexity of other super IPAs.

Mouthfeel is good.

A beer worth trying but this simply isn't in the same class as Dreadnaught, or Pliny the Younger and Elder. An extremely powerful hop bomb it simply lacks the refinement of the best beers of this type.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A highly anticipated brew courtesy of germaniac...

Poured a burnt reddish orange with about two fingers of hoppy head. Smells intensely of citrus and pine as the hops make their presence overwhelmingly known. If they made car air fresheners in this scent I'd buy a box.

As expected, this one packs a bitter hop taste from start to finish. If you're not a hophead, I wouldn't even bother with this beer. But since my tastebuds seem to enjoy this regular punishment, I'm loving this one. As the bottle claims, this truly is a tribute to the hop, and even with the bottle reading 2005, the taste seems amazingly fresh. For 9.2%ABV, I'm impressed, can't taste a hint of alcohol. While the tomahawk, cascades, and centennials clearly dominate here, if you really try you can detect a light carmelly malt finish. A great double IPA here, and one I will be looking to find in my area. Recommended for hopheads only.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance – 22 oz silk screened bottle dated 2005 from Julio's. The beer pours a relatively clear amber with orange highlights. The one-finger head quickly sinks to a thin wispy covering. Relatively weak head for a beer with such a high hopping rate.

Smell – Strong pine hops leap from the bottle with the initial psst of the popped cap. On closer smells this beer yields simply wave after wave of clean, fresh, American citrus and pine hops. There is basically nothing else going on in the aroma, but what do you expect from a beer called Hopsical?

Taste – Strong, lingering, mouth-coating bitterness follows this beer from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. There is some sweet malt hidden somewhere in the folds of the bitterness, but it does little to balance the metric ton of hops in this IPA.

Mouthfeel – Slightly sticky, slick medium-full body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – Once my taste buds went dormant this was a relatively easy to drink DIPA with about as much hop flavor as I have had outside of actually being in California. That being said avoid this beer unless you want a hop explosion and you don't mind not being able to feel your tongue for a few hours. Another winner from Moylan's, glad I can now buy their beers in Massachusetts.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

clear orange amber with an inch of creamy off-white head that leaves rings of lace.

tons of oily hop aromas; mainly grassy and rindy. some light gummy grapefruit candy aroma.

hoppy and alcoholic. medium bodied with a slight carbonation and a coating bitterness. pine, citrus, and a sweetness that seems more from the alcohol than the malt. if there's malt in there, i'm not tasting it. unbalanced and boozy, but it serves for a hop fix.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Wow, this is a hop explosion. I could smell them as soon as I cracked this baby open. The beer pours a hazy copper orange hue with a nice creamy off white head with great lacing all over the glass. The hop aroma is amazing to me. I get grapefuit and citrus in the nose. I never thought I would say this but after tasting this a bit, I think it is almost too hoppy and bitter with not enough of a malt backbone. I was only slightly disappointed however. I feel like some people, including myself, would not find this as drinkable as some of the other huge IPA monsters.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Polyphenol laden hazy bronze in hue. One fingered, dense, cream white head leaves intricate lace. Pungent, acute aroma of orange rind, tangerine julius infused with pine sap and cannibus. As the beer warms, soft hints of buttery caramel arise and provide contrast. Quite a pleasure to inhale, indeed. Incipient in flavor is a hawkish barrage of grapefruit pith and quinine, which is ensued by softer notes of marmalade and bready malt. Mid palate surfaces a hair of coating ethanol, which seemingly serves to carry the luscious hop presence down the esophagus... the hop character is permeating enough that my throat perceives it. Emerging late, perhaps as the palate becomes nearly overwhelmed by hop oils, is a pleasant honeyish, sweet biscuit impression. Nearly full bodied, with ample dextrins providing girth to support the driving hop character. Finishes with a brusque savory cracker hint, but otherwise agreeably and blatantly bittersweet. An excellent DIPA. Although not one to quaffed quickly in my book, this is a brew that showcases what can be beautful about excessive west coast hopping (when combined with a supple malt backbone.) Delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer smells fucking outstanding. I got a massive noseful of grassy and grapefruity hops immediately after I poured the beer. Wow! Okay, now I can check out the appearance. It pours a lively orange-amber with an off-white head that shrinks quite a bit, but doesn't disappear. The taste is appropriately hoppy. The Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial hops kick your palate's ass in a three pronged attack of grass, citrus and spice. The abv was annoyingly noticeable for the first 1/5 of the first snifter, but it has either settled down or the beer has numbed my palate to the point were I don't really notice it. I can still taste the hops and that's all I care about right now. The mouthfeel is smooth, the finish is rough. This beer is aggressively big and hoppy and so good. I'm glad I bought all four of the bottles I found.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery