Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Review from notes.

A- Pours a hazy orange/light amber color. One and a half figner beige head shows great retention. Ringy style lacing left on glass. Wonderful looking beer in general.

S- Nice big citrus hops right when I opened the bottle. These last most of the nose mixed with some pine toward the end. The surprising part for me was the sweet caramel malt that came through. Interesting for me because of the super DIPA status this one gets at times.

T- Big crisp citrus hops up front. This destroys the palate almost from the get go. I have a fresh bottle indeed. The middle is surprisingly sweet for such a hopbomb thanks to the caramel malts once again making their way into the beer in a big way. Bitter piney hops in the backend of this give it a nice little extra umph to it before it goes down the hatch.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Hops dominate everything and stick to your palate leaving a nice resin over your lips and teeth as well. Hardcore hops in the aftertaste that linger well into the end. Flavors were bold and in your face. Blanaced? Surprisingly I would have to say yes. Big time alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a hoppy ass beer that I enjoyed. More than one bottle of this at a time?? No thank you. Does it mean I don't like it? Nope. It does the job but I don't want extreme hoppy all night.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber. "Triple Hoppy"

A: One finger fluffy white head. Clear light golden with orange hues. Very sticky lacing.
S:Can smell this one across the room. Sweet malts. Hops, Orange, apricot grassiness. Little bit boozy.
T: Starts sweet and malty. Some citrus, orange peel. Big lingering bitterness. Not my favorite combination of hops.
M: Smooth, creamy and very bitter!
D: High ABV not real well hidden. I will finish this bomber but is getting boring and bitter towards the end.

This was just okay for me. I would rather have Hop Stupid @ half price any day. Glad I tried but would not buy again.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Slightly hazed orange body topped by a two finger creamy off white head. Retention is better than expected, thick sheet of moss eaten lacing drape the sides of the glass.

Resinous hops overpower the aroma. Sweet citrus heavy with a bit of pine coming through on the back end. Caramel malt is evident though largely covered up by the juicy hops.

Hops are abundant but that should come as no surprise. The surprise to me is the amount on caramel malt that manages to shine through. One complaint regarding East Coast IPA's is that the malt flavors resemble something closer to a Barleywine, I suppose this is not exclusive to the East Coast. Intensely bitter grapefruit and pine almost balance out with the syrupy sweet malt. I do not want to call Hopsickle boozy, but it certainly a bit hot.

Medium bodied brew comes across oily on the tongue. Hops resin and oils seem to cover every inch of the tongue some how still allowing the sweetness to be apparent. Finish could be much more dry for my tastes.

Good beer but I am just not digging it tonight. The qualities I look for in a good DIPA differ slightly from what is presented in this Moylan's offering. Tonight the bomber seems to be about six ounces too much.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Golden, but dull and a little cloudy. It pours with a creamy, off-white head.

S. A sweet, resiny, almost pine-like hop aroma dominates this beer- it smells like a hop lovers dream. A subdued malt backbone is there but is not easily noticeable.

T. Decent hop flavor, gives way to an astringent aftertaste. Slightly sweet up front, but a full on hop assault from middle to end. Mostly floral hop taste, but some hints of caramel and vanilla as well.

M. Good carbonation and a great creamy head that lasts and leaves beautiful lacing inside the glass. This beer is a sipper, but one you won't put down. The alcohol is well hidden, but still warms you up as you drink it.

D. Great beer, I wish I had bought more.

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%

Thanks to djmichaelk for this bottle.

Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Hazy orange colour with a tinge of amber and a finger of thick bubbly cream coloured head.

S - A nice balance of bitterness and sweetness is apparent in the nose with some citrus coming through in the hops.

T - A lot of bitterness from the hops is present with floral and citrus notes and a significant sweet malt profile that at times comes through a little too much for my liking. At time it seems as though only the bitterness is apparent from the hops without any specific flavours coming though. Overall, very big and bold and definitely feels like a triple IPA.

M - Medium body, chewy, lightly carbonated.

D - This was an enjoyable beer but I would have loved a little more hops and less malts.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance - Clear, golden yellow with an offwhite head that leaves behind splotchy lacing.
Smell - Malty sweetness; very floral, lots of piney hops.
Taste - Initial bitter hoppiness is countered by gobs of cloying, malty sweetness; preventing the beer from maintaining any semblance of balance.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a clean finish.
Drinkability - The sweetness prevents this one from being a beer I'd want more than a small glass of (both instances were 5.5oz pours and was ready to move on; in particular the second time around).
Overall - I've had this twice on draft - the first time I definitely enjoyed this beer more as it was not as sweet and the floral, hoppy nature of the beer wasn't dominated by sugary malts.

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

I had this a while back courtesy of Ding. My girlfriend bought a bottle more recently. Its been in the fridge for a few months, I couldnt get her to drink it. I dont know how old this bottle actually is, but Im betting its a bit too old to be at its best.

A- Dark gold/copper with good clarity and a long lasting head. Lots of lacing is left all the way down.

S- The smell is big on malts. Lots of caramel stuff going on. Hops are still there but they dont totally cover up the malts. They are mostly smell like pine and citrus rind. This is perpetuating my worries that this bottle might be losing its huge hoppiness.

T- Ive always heard people saying this beer has the biggest hop presence. Describing it as "tooth melting" or "very aggressive". I have the bar set high, but my doubts are bringing it down.
I must say this isnt wildly hoppy. At least not enough to impress me or scar me for life. Lots of barleywine like caramel malts and sharp citrus rind malts. Its bitter, but not beast.

Ive had this twice now. Neither time was I super impressed. I cant call this a beer that I need to always have on hand but I still feel like I havent gotten the full experience yet. God damn it, I need to find yet another bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

A- pours a murky brownish orange with a delicious crown of off-white head, retaining and lacing very well

S- loads of bitter, citrusy hops and sticky malts

T- bitter as expected, but what surprised me is the load of sticky, sweet malts that make it seem more like a run-of-the-mill barleywine than an end-all of bitterness like i was expecting to find

M- chewy, low carbonation, and a bitter aftertaste coupled with a sickly sweet finish

D- i couldn't drink more than maybe one of these in a sitting, although it seems many BA's tend to overhype anything that's "extreme"- it wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to the hype for me

Looks good enough, a slightly murky dank dark amber. Some pale tan head, tries to stick around and leaves some sticky clumps of lace.

Smell... some sweet caramel covered by a bitter blast of citrus and blond tobacco with some pine. Yup this is about the hops.

Taste is much like the smell. The malts are fairly assertive and sweet, but are beaten down by the even bigger hop presence as described earlier.

Almost thick and chewy, substantial body with a creamy feel and a damn nice hop presence.

Pretty big brew, and for what it is its pretty drinkable too. Cant see me drikning back to back bombers, but this one will have no trouble going down. Hope to cross paths with this again, im impressed, especially since i sat on this for a while.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

Very much an up and down beer. I'm an IPA guy, I'm a big fan of hopped out beers, and this one seemed to have all the ingredients for a great experience. And in some ways it was. The brew poured a thick head that lingered on the glass. The aroma was noticeably hoppy, and therefor pleasant. The first several sips were terrific; but I'd have to admit, I might have been out hopped by this beer. At times it was a bit oily, towards the end it was a bit of a strain, eventually becoming a bit bitter and acrid. I could really only get through half the bottle before plowing through the rest seemed like a hurdle to be overcome. I enjoyed the beer and it earned my respect, but I think it may be best split in half, to prevent the enjoyment from becoming a task.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 22oz. bottle into a snifter. It has a nice amber/copper color to it. Fresh aromas of heavy malt and a hint of pine. A definite Hop Bomb! This DIPA has a nice amount of upfront citrus and apricot but then finishes with a very strong dry hopped bitterness. This bitternesss escalates as you continue to drink this brew. It has the nice juicy citrus taste, but the problem is the hops take over so much that it dominates the experience. I suppose if you are a die hard hop head this may be right up your alley, but I found the mouthfeel to be too dry and bitter. Too over the top/unbalanced for my taste buds. Can definitley smell and taste the alcohol in this brew. I prefer a more balanced IPA that has the nice fruit flavors but then finishes smoother with less bitterness. Could taste the caramel flavors as the brew warmed up, but my mouth/throat became so dry that it became less enjoyable as I continued to drink this DIPA. This brew would be more enjoyable on a cold winter day with a bowl of chili or beef stew. Drinking this on a hot and humid August Summer day may have tainted the experience. Will try this again in the middle of winter and see if I enjoy it more.

2.1/5  rDev -48.9%

Bomber with no bottling or freshness date. Pours a murky, medium-dark amber with a nice thick head, very good lacing and retention.

Aroma is pretty piney, but I'm disappointed with the lack of hop juiciness and fruitiness. There's a weird burnt vegetable thing going on as well.

Ok. This beer is just inappropriately bitter. I like big DIPAs but they need to have juicy hop flavor as well. This one really skimps in that area, unfortunately. It has a lot of pine, I'll give it that, but it also emphasizes those weird, vegetal hop flavors--garlic, onion--that I'm just not a fan of. It has a lot of malt weight and thickness, but that almost makes this beer worse, as the drink becomes increasingly laborious due the combination of huge body and astringent bitterness. First beer I've come across that is simply too big. Tragic.

I finished a bit and am debating whether to drain pour this bottle. I don't think I'm buying anything from Moylan's for a while. (Down the drain it goes. Ouch, that hurt.)

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

Bottle shared by drabmuh at my place recently. Thanks Matt! review from notes.

This beer appears an orange brown hue. It is mostly clear, with a slight haziness about it. There is a mammoth head atop the beer, and a significant layer of lacing left in its wake. The aroma is very malt heavy, with some hop character present in the background. Sigh...The malt / hop ratio is heavily in favor of malt. The feel is OK, I suppose, if you like malty DIPAs. Sweet and sticky. There is a bitter astringent note in the finish. Sigh...Mediocre. I would revisit this beer in hopes of a better experience.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Pours a light brown with 1 finger white foamy head.

S - Smells like a DIPA all right. Good amounts of citrus/piney hops. Theres a lot of malt coming through though. Some alcohol is present as well.

T - Initial taste is a big mouthful of hops and alcohol. Malt comes through a lot more than expected.

M - Medium bodied, good amount of carbonation. Slightly oily finish, lots of bittering hops at the finish.

D - Decent drinkability, the alcohol definitely came through and the hops didn't balance it out too much.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured amber into a pint glass, with a finger of white, modest retention, and average lacing. Smelled of grapefruit, lemon, and pine, with a peel backdrop. The taste was similar, with a bitter peel finish, and slightly sweet orange/pineapple backdrop that caught me off-guard. The feel revealed more carbonation than the appearance; medium-bodied. Good citrus-hoppy brew overall.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Freshest bottle I could find. I'd try it again if I could get it on draft. Beer is clear and amber with a white thick head that gives a bunch of lacing and has moderate carbonation.

Malty (mostly) with a mild hop aroma. I'm already disappointed. Aroma is strong but the hops are the second note. Earthy and pine.

Beer is sweet and malty. Medium to high body, its quite heavy and gets heavier the more I drink it. I guess this is what some would describe as a "balanced" IPA but the malt is eclipsing the hops in this beer. The bitterness is there, and its strong. It builds over time but the syrupy forward and midpalate flavors are the star. Definitely not my favorite IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass.

Thicker and darker than most other DIPA's I've had in appearance. A dark caramel-amber color. Interesting. Small head with some slight lacing.

Extremely hoppy to the nose. Very piney and fruity. Pretty standard smell. How a DIPA should smell.

Very hoppy taste. Malts are definitely there. A lot of caramel malts too. Definitely lives up to the double IPA label. But the malts overpower too much for a double IPA.

Very thick mouthfeel. Not a ton of carbonation. Leaves a thick coating over the tounge, especially on the back of the toungue.

The first few sips were exceptional. Very refreshing. After that it became pretty repetitive. Didn't change much as it warmed and became a little harder to drink. I enjoyed it and am glad I tried it but I won't look for it.

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice amber color with foamy head that stick around and leaves spotty lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very hoppy. Flavor is similar but way more intense with some malty sweetness but super bitter in the finish. Sticky mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

Glad I tried this one, but not likely to seek it out again.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Head is a tad weak and soapy. Nice dark amber caramel coloring. Smell is fantastic! Earthy, piney and resiney with a huge fruity sweetness to back it up. It isn't the unbalanced smack you in the face hop explosion I thought it would be. Very clean. Great bitter astringent hops carry through begin to finish the juicy fruitiness making an appearance. Think I found my next favorite IPA before or after Dreadnaught. Hard to call at this point. Only a hint of alcohol warming. Top notch stuff here!

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Paid $9.49 at Whole Foods in Mill Valley, CA.

A-Poured a medium orange-amber hue with about a two finger bone white, frothy head with nice retention and decent lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Hops in the nose are nowhere near fragrant enough for style. Smells a bit more like a barleywine.

T-This was too malty for style. Much more like a barleywine than a DIPA. Too pungent from the alcohol noticeable in the taste at 9.2% ABV. Disappointing.

M-A little heavy for the style. Again, more like a barleywine than the many fine West Coast DIPAs.

D-This was not far from being a drain pour. That may be a slight exaggeration, as it improves as it warms. Perhaps, it may not be fresh, but I bought it in a well stocked Whole Foods (some say the best in Marin County, CA) which is about 20 miles from the brewery. So it should be fresh. I didn't like this beer and I think it missed the mark in the aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. Hence, not very drinkable as a DIPA, especially at the price. I bought Pliny the Elder for $4.29 at another Whole Foods in Marin County, and this is overpriced in comparison.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip july14 2010

A hazy amber orange with a large light beige head that's fed by a moderate amount of carbonation and has good retention leaving many partial rings of lace

S big ass grapefruit along with other citrus some mild earthy hops and a little toffee

T one hell of a hop bomb with a little pine on top of what I smell and just a little malty sweetness and where the 9.2%alc is I'll never know

M quite the bite and it coats your mouth a fair bit and the flavors linger

D if you like overkill hops this is for you, this may be a little to drinkable for the strength

I'll probably wake up tasting this beer tomorrow but that's OK with me. this is a beer I'm glad I can't get in my home town because I'd be broke and dead well before my time.

3.76/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A dark ol iipa. Almost no head, but what was there turned into clingy lace. Aroma was sweet.

Taste was massively bitter. This is like a triple ipa. The hop flavor is dominated by massive amounts of bitterness and a lesser degree of alcohol. May not have any dry hopping, can't tell. The mouthfeel is just puckering. Tears you up in a good way.

Price doubled in one year, never came back down after the hop shortage, thus making one of the world's most bitter beers rate even lower on the drinkability scale.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Reviewed from notes on 7-8-10.

A: Pours murky golden-orange, bordering on sewage brown. It is much more attractive when held to the light, but overall it is not the most attractive color. A clumpy, one-finger head of an off-white/beige tone recedes to leave a thick ring around the edge of the glass and one bubbly clump on top. The lacing is sticky and triggers memories of Northern California foothills.

S: Big floral, grassy, and earthy hop notes compete with an equally large and sweet caramel malt presence. Some sweet citrus slips into my olfactory in the form of tangerine and orange. I also smell a hearty sourdough presence from the yeast.

T: This beer is really engaging my mind. The caramel-ly malts drop kick the front and middle of my tongue at the beginning of the sip, while the floral, grassy hops engage the sides of my palate a microsecond after the malts pronounce their presence. Somewhere before the end of the sip, the sourdough yeasty-ness boosts the body of the beer and enters the flavor fray, then the bitter grass hops destroy my palate at the end of the sip. This is a flavor symphony, but I almost wish the overall impression on my palate delivered a more unified front, as opposed to the flavor breakers the I sense.

M: Crazy and intriguing. In each sip this beer runs my palate from a ride of full, sweet malts to a drying, grassy hop finish. A MF rollercoaster, to be sure.

D: If you buy a bomber of this, I would share it with another human. It is a wild and cray guy with a high a.b.v. and is definitely a palate destroyer. Don't drink this and then review a meeker beer-fellow. That said, it is a beer that I will revisity for its complexities and brain-engaging flavors.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Orange in color, small white foam...lacing is okay.

Aroma is of very strong citrus hops. Not much else.

Taste is very much like the aroma...very little in terms of malt balance...a very straight forward hop blast.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Drinkability isn't one of this beers strong points, but I don't think these styles are meant to be "drinkable" in any sense of the word. I managed to get through the huge bottle fairly easily though.

Recommended.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Had this on 2012-07-16 at the brew pub.

A - Slightly hazy amber with a light tan head

S - Fruit, hop resins, pine

T - Sweet biscut and caramel followed quickly by strong hop bitterness with grapefruit and tons of pine-like resin. There's a noticeable alcohol taste. The overall balance wasn't top-notch; leaning a bit to heavily to the very strong bitterness (and I do like a lot of bitterness)

M - Medium body and carbonation with swirly, big bubbles.

O - I enjoyed this brew. It's got a big wallop of bitterness.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery