Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale AleHopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: RootedFool on 08-14-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

I had this a while back courtesy of Ding. My girlfriend bought a bottle more recently. Its been in the fridge for a few months, I couldnt get her to drink it. I dont know how old this bottle actually is, but Im betting its a bit too old to be at its best.

A- Dark gold/copper with good clarity and a long lasting head. Lots of lacing is left all the way down.

S- The smell is big on malts. Lots of caramel stuff going on. Hops are still there but they dont totally cover up the malts. They are mostly smell like pine and citrus rind. This is perpetuating my worries that this bottle might be losing its huge hoppiness.

T- Ive always heard people saying this beer has the biggest hop presence. Describing it as "tooth melting" or "very aggressive". I have the bar set high, but my doubts are bringing it down.
I must say this isnt wildly hoppy. At least not enough to impress me or scar me for life. Lots of barleywine like caramel malts and sharp citrus rind malts. Its bitter, but not beast.

Ive had this twice now. Neither time was I super impressed. I cant call this a beer that I need to always have on hand but I still feel like I havent gotten the full experience yet. God damn it, I need to find yet another bottle.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

A- pours a murky brownish orange with a delicious crown of off-white head, retaining and lacing very well

S- loads of bitter, citrusy hops and sticky malts

T- bitter as expected, but what surprised me is the load of sticky, sweet malts that make it seem more like a run-of-the-mill barleywine than an end-all of bitterness like i was expecting to find

M- chewy, low carbonation, and a bitter aftertaste coupled with a sickly sweet finish

D- i couldn't drink more than maybe one of these in a sitting, although it seems many BA's tend to overhype anything that's "extreme"- it wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to the hype for me

Looks good enough, a slightly murky dank dark amber. Some pale tan head, tries to stick around and leaves some sticky clumps of lace.

Smell... some sweet caramel covered by a bitter blast of citrus and blond tobacco with some pine. Yup this is about the hops.

Taste is much like the smell. The malts are fairly assertive and sweet, but are beaten down by the even bigger hop presence as described earlier.

Almost thick and chewy, substantial body with a creamy feel and a damn nice hop presence.

Pretty big brew, and for what it is its pretty drinkable too. Cant see me drikning back to back bombers, but this one will have no trouble going down. Hope to cross paths with this again, im impressed, especially since i sat on this for a while.

3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

Very much an up and down beer. I'm an IPA guy, I'm a big fan of hopped out beers, and this one seemed to have all the ingredients for a great experience. And in some ways it was. The brew poured a thick head that lingered on the glass. The aroma was noticeably hoppy, and therefor pleasant. The first several sips were terrific; but I'd have to admit, I might have been out hopped by this beer. At times it was a bit oily, towards the end it was a bit of a strain, eventually becoming a bit bitter and acrid. I could really only get through half the bottle before plowing through the rest seemed like a hurdle to be overcome. I enjoyed the beer and it earned my respect, but I think it may be best split in half, to prevent the enjoyment from becoming a task.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 22oz. bottle into a snifter. It has a nice amber/copper color to it. Fresh aromas of heavy malt and a hint of pine. A definite Hop Bomb! This DIPA has a nice amount of upfront citrus and apricot but then finishes with a very strong dry hopped bitterness. This bitternesss escalates as you continue to drink this brew. It has the nice juicy citrus taste, but the problem is the hops take over so much that it dominates the experience. I suppose if you are a die hard hop head this may be right up your alley, but I found the mouthfeel to be too dry and bitter. Too over the top/unbalanced for my taste buds. Can definitley smell and taste the alcohol in this brew. I prefer a more balanced IPA that has the nice fruit flavors but then finishes smoother with less bitterness. Could taste the caramel flavors as the brew warmed up, but my mouth/throat became so dry that it became less enjoyable as I continued to drink this DIPA. This brew would be more enjoyable on a cold winter day with a bowl of chili or beef stew. Drinking this on a hot and humid August Summer day may have tainted the experience. Will try this again in the middle of winter and see if I enjoy it more.

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%

Bomber with no bottling or freshness date. Pours a murky, medium-dark amber with a nice thick head, very good lacing and retention.

Aroma is pretty piney, but I'm disappointed with the lack of hop juiciness and fruitiness. There's a weird burnt vegetable thing going on as well.

Ok. This beer is just inappropriately bitter. I like big DIPAs but they need to have juicy hop flavor as well. This one really skimps in that area, unfortunately. It has a lot of pine, I'll give it that, but it also emphasizes those weird, vegetal hop flavors--garlic, onion--that I'm just not a fan of. It has a lot of malt weight and thickness, but that almost makes this beer worse, as the drink becomes increasingly laborious due the combination of huge body and astringent bitterness. First beer I've come across that is simply too big. Tragic.

I finished a bit and am debating whether to drain pour this bottle. I don't think I'm buying anything from Moylan's for a while. (Down the drain it goes. Ouch, that hurt.)

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%

Bottle shared by drabmuh at my place recently. Thanks Matt! review from notes.

This beer appears an orange brown hue. It is mostly clear, with a slight haziness about it. There is a mammoth head atop the beer, and a significant layer of lacing left in its wake. The aroma is very malt heavy, with some hop character present in the background. Sigh...The malt / hop ratio is heavily in favor of malt. The feel is OK, I suppose, if you like malty DIPAs. Sweet and sticky. There is a bitter astringent note in the finish. Sigh...Mediocre. I would revisit this beer in hopes of a better experience.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

A - Pours a light brown with 1 finger white foamy head.

S - Smells like a DIPA all right. Good amounts of citrus/piney hops. Theres a lot of malt coming through though. Some alcohol is present as well.

T - Initial taste is a big mouthful of hops and alcohol. Malt comes through a lot more than expected.

M - Medium bodied, good amount of carbonation. Slightly oily finish, lots of bittering hops at the finish.

D - Decent drinkability, the alcohol definitely came through and the hops didn't balance it out too much.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured amber into a pint glass, with a finger of white, modest retention, and average lacing. Smelled of grapefruit, lemon, and pine, with a peel backdrop. The taste was similar, with a bitter peel finish, and slightly sweet orange/pineapple backdrop that caught me off-guard. The feel revealed more carbonation than the appearance; medium-bodied. Good citrus-hoppy brew overall.

3.83/5  rDev -7%

Freshest bottle I could find. I'd try it again if I could get it on draft. Beer is clear and amber with a white thick head that gives a bunch of lacing and has moderate carbonation.

Malty (mostly) with a mild hop aroma. I'm already disappointed. Aroma is strong but the hops are the second note. Earthy and pine.

Beer is sweet and malty. Medium to high body, its quite heavy and gets heavier the more I drink it. I guess this is what some would describe as a "balanced" IPA but the malt is eclipsing the hops in this beer. The bitterness is there, and its strong. It builds over time but the syrupy forward and midpalate flavors are the star. Definitely not my favorite IPA.

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass.

Thicker and darker than most other DIPA's I've had in appearance. A dark caramel-amber color. Interesting. Small head with some slight lacing.

Extremely hoppy to the nose. Very piney and fruity. Pretty standard smell. How a DIPA should smell.

Very hoppy taste. Malts are definitely there. A lot of caramel malts too. Definitely lives up to the double IPA label. But the malts overpower too much for a double IPA.

Very thick mouthfeel. Not a ton of carbonation. Leaves a thick coating over the tounge, especially on the back of the toungue.

The first few sips were exceptional. Very refreshing. After that it became pretty repetitive. Didn't change much as it warmed and became a little harder to drink. I enjoyed it and am glad I tried it but I won't look for it.

3.62/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice amber color with foamy head that stick around and leaves spotty lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very hoppy. Flavor is similar but way more intense with some malty sweetness but super bitter in the finish. Sticky mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

Glad I tried this one, but not likely to seek it out again.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Head is a tad weak and soapy. Nice dark amber caramel coloring. Smell is fantastic! Earthy, piney and resiney with a huge fruity sweetness to back it up. It isn't the unbalanced smack you in the face hop explosion I thought it would be. Very clean. Great bitter astringent hops carry through begin to finish the juicy fruitiness making an appearance. Think I found my next favorite IPA before or after Dreadnaught. Hard to call at this point. Only a hint of alcohol warming. Top notch stuff here!

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Paid $9.49 at Whole Foods in Mill Valley, CA.

A-Poured a medium orange-amber hue with about a two finger bone white, frothy head with nice retention and decent lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Hops in the nose are nowhere near fragrant enough for style. Smells a bit more like a barleywine.

T-This was too malty for style. Much more like a barleywine than a DIPA. Too pungent from the alcohol noticeable in the taste at 9.2% ABV. Disappointing.

M-A little heavy for the style. Again, more like a barleywine than the many fine West Coast DIPAs.

D-This was not far from being a drain pour. That may be a slight exaggeration, as it improves as it warms. Perhaps, it may not be fresh, but I bought it in a well stocked Whole Foods (some say the best in Marin County, CA) which is about 20 miles from the brewery. So it should be fresh. I didn't like this beer and I think it missed the mark in the aroma, taste, and mouthfeel. Hence, not very drinkable as a DIPA, especially at the price. I bought Pliny the Elder for $4.29 at another Whole Foods in Marin County, and this is overpriced in comparison.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip july14 2010

A hazy amber orange with a large light beige head that's fed by a moderate amount of carbonation and has good retention leaving many partial rings of lace

S big ass grapefruit along with other citrus some mild earthy hops and a little toffee

T one hell of a hop bomb with a little pine on top of what I smell and just a little malty sweetness and where the 9.2%alc is I'll never know

M quite the bite and it coats your mouth a fair bit and the flavors linger

D if you like overkill hops this is for you, this may be a little to drinkable for the strength

I'll probably wake up tasting this beer tomorrow but that's OK with me. this is a beer I'm glad I can't get in my home town because I'd be broke and dead well before my time.

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A dark ol iipa. Almost no head, but what was there turned into clingy lace. Aroma was sweet.

Taste was massively bitter. This is like a triple ipa. The hop flavor is dominated by massive amounts of bitterness and a lesser degree of alcohol. May not have any dry hopping, can't tell. The mouthfeel is just puckering. Tears you up in a good way.

Price doubled in one year, never came back down after the hop shortage, thus making one of the world's most bitter beers rate even lower on the drinkability scale.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Reviewed from notes on 7-8-10.

A: Pours murky golden-orange, bordering on sewage brown. It is much more attractive when held to the light, but overall it is not the most attractive color. A clumpy, one-finger head of an off-white/beige tone recedes to leave a thick ring around the edge of the glass and one bubbly clump on top. The lacing is sticky and triggers memories of Northern California foothills.

S: Big floral, grassy, and earthy hop notes compete with an equally large and sweet caramel malt presence. Some sweet citrus slips into my olfactory in the form of tangerine and orange. I also smell a hearty sourdough presence from the yeast.

T: This beer is really engaging my mind. The caramel-ly malts drop kick the front and middle of my tongue at the beginning of the sip, while the floral, grassy hops engage the sides of my palate a microsecond after the malts pronounce their presence. Somewhere before the end of the sip, the sourdough yeasty-ness boosts the body of the beer and enters the flavor fray, then the bitter grass hops destroy my palate at the end of the sip. This is a flavor symphony, but I almost wish the overall impression on my palate delivered a more unified front, as opposed to the flavor breakers the I sense.

M: Crazy and intriguing. In each sip this beer runs my palate from a ride of full, sweet malts to a drying, grassy hop finish. A MF rollercoaster, to be sure.

D: If you buy a bomber of this, I would share it with another human. It is a wild and cray guy with a high a.b.v. and is definitely a palate destroyer. Don't drink this and then review a meeker beer-fellow. That said, it is a beer that I will revisity for its complexities and brain-engaging flavors.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Orange in color, small white foam...lacing is okay.

Aroma is of very strong citrus hops. Not much else.

Taste is very much like the aroma...very little in terms of malt balance...a very straight forward hop blast.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Drinkability isn't one of this beers strong points, but I don't think these styles are meant to be "drinkable" in any sense of the word. I managed to get through the huge bottle fairly easily though.

Recommended.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Had this on 2012-07-16 at the brew pub.

A - Slightly hazy amber with a light tan head

S - Fruit, hop resins, pine

T - Sweet biscut and caramel followed quickly by strong hop bitterness with grapefruit and tons of pine-like resin. There's a noticeable alcohol taste. The overall balance wasn't top-notch; leaning a bit to heavily to the very strong bitterness (and I do like a lot of bitterness)

M - Medium body and carbonation with swirly, big bubbles.

O - I enjoyed this brew. It's got a big wallop of bitterness.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Notes from 6/19/10

I poured the entire contents of the bomber into a 24oz Mongo Mug. The hue is amber siding more to brown than red. A one finger head appears and is sticking around a few minutes after the pour. Lacing is evident after the beer is half gone scoring a few more appearance points.

The smell of this beer is more malty than hoppy. Brown sugary malt is ever present with the addition of a unique smell...musty basement. Overall it is quite bready with just a touch of hops.

As expected, the malt is big up front and has a rich caramel quality. It isn't a bad thing, but the mustiness is also in the taste. The hops pleasently creep in at the end with some grass and grapefruit bitterness. I enjoy how the hops linger helping to prolong the goodness.

In between medium and full, this doesn't disappoint my mouth. There is also some fuzziness adding to the fun in my mouth.

This is very drinkable despite the full feeling. It is enjoyable the whole way.

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. A thick, 2 fingers of buttery foam formed on top of the sunset amber body. The head had awesome retention time, dissipating down to a single finger; strong legs, coating the glass and sticking well.

The nose has sweet malts and tons of citrusy hops up front. Not the fresh hop bomb I was expecting, but very nice.

The taste starts off with the hop oils coating the mouth with a piney bitterness. The middle of the drink turns more toward the caramel malt flavor detected in the nose. The finish goes back to the hops where the bitterness takes over once again. A little boozy aftertaste keeps everything in balance.

The mouth feel is on the thicker side of medium, slick at first with a dry finish; moderate carbonation.

This is a well made, complex, flavorful offering that I would recommend to anyone. Drinkable and refreshing.

3.89/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Poured with virtually no head; just a diffuse hazy layer and edge lacing over an optically clear dark orange-amber body. Served in tulip which showcased some active carbonation from the sides of the glass.

S- Holy Sh*t!! I can smell this from across the room!! Bucketloads of ripe juicyfruit-like hops. There's some crystal malt back in there somewhere, but this is just DOMINATED with those high-alpha citrus and juicyfruit-like hops. Hands-down one of the most amazingly hop-forward beers to ever grace these nostrils!

T- Wow. In the mouth, you get a brief glimpse of the pale and crystal malt base, but that is quickly overwhelmed by an INTENSE juicyfruit-like hop flavor. Right into the very dry finish, you have an intense, lingering, citrus pith-like bitterness... lingers like a resin, stripping the enamel from your teeth! This must be the Hop-Head's dream!!! It's like chewing a handful of whole leaf hops!

M- Medium body with a moderately soft carbonation and moderate astringency as well.

D- The drinkability really suffers from the astringency and one-dimensionality of the hop dominance. It was a sheer pleasure to taste this stuff, but I could not drink a second glass of this in a sitting...

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Poured from a 22oz bottle into my DFH snifter... starts with a smaller off white head with little retention and minimal lacing. Beer is a murky amber color with little activity

S- I could smell it as soon as I started pouring it... a pleasant skunky grapefruit smell. Im looking forward to this one

T- Wow... this is great! Not a hint of malt. Just in your face dry hoppyness

M- Light/medium carbonation with medium body... leaves behind a great hoppy mouthfeel

D- Don't think I could sit and enjoy these all night long, but definitely one of my new favorites. A bit pricey, but well worth it in my opinion...

CHEERS!!

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at kraftworks.

A- two billowy fingers of white head atop a copper orange brew. Head settles over some time and leaves some beautiful lace a nice ring.

S- hops, hops, and more hops. Tons of citrus and to a lesser extant pine sap. Some powderd sugar sweetness as well.

T- grapefruit and oranges out front with pine sap and other conifers behind. Slightly bitter but with just enough sweetness to get you over the hump. This is all about the hops and it doesn't let you down. Mildly astringent. Tropical fruit show their head after some warming.

M- medium bodied and mid to lite on carb. Hint of a tannic quality.

D- well 10 oz is plenty for me tasty for sure but a palate crusher none the less.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Beautiful golden amber in color with two fingers of head and fantastic lacing

S - Nice malt aroma with some citrus notes, not really getting too much on the hops end though

T - Delicious hops! way more than what you would expect from the smell of this beer, they just dance all over your tongue! Also, there are citrus notes and some aftertaste of pine as well

M - big, bold and creamy. You can feel the bite of the hops without a doubt

D - What a beer! could use a little more on the aroma spectrum, but it sure does taste great! Goes down smooth for the high ABV, but I wouldn't have more than two in a night!

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery