Celts Golden Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Celts Golden AleCelts Golden Ale

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-21-2002)
Talisker

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

This is basically a good beer - not the mistake that some reviews here imply.

But wow, it's carbonated. Gently treated and undisturbed bomber overflows with foam. Head is very light, but 2x taller than the pour (into a standard pint glass) - takes many minutes to die down, and continues to bubble through the middle for a while longer (like a Duvel in a tulip). Unattractive lagerish light yellow, some haze.

Nose is malty and crisp. Definitely an ale, with lots of dough and bread, a tiny bit of hop edge. Taste is malt-led, almost the Moylan's house style, with a dry finish that begs for another drink. The texture is light and drinkable, but there's no metallic edge like you might get from a lager. The label says it's "sweet and fruity", but I don't get any of that - just straightforward light malts and crisp, un-citrusy hops.

Something's wrong with the carbonation, but otherwise this is a nice sessionable malty light ale, and yes, a nice bridge for the macro drinker to something of actual quality.

If Moylan's were somewhere other than in the shadow of Bear Republic and Russian River, it would be a genunine cult brewery.

03-26-2007 03:41:48 | More by Talisker
IntriqKen

3.18/5  rDev +3.9%

This is a very mild ale.
Pours very light clear yellow with a half finger of white that melts slowly to sticky lacing which maps the glass all of the way down.
Aromas are very pale malt with faint citrus hops. Almost as if they have been weakened with an adjunct like rice.
Flavor is a crisp and clean reflection of the aromas. Very pale and only slightly sweet malt balanced nicely with very faint citrus hops.
Mouthfeel is a little watery.
Aftertaste is clean.
Definitely a session beer and one you could shove under the nose of a macro drinker without them turning their noses up at it.

02-24-2007 03:51:58 | More by IntriqKen
BlindPig

2.58/5  rDev -15.7%

A- 1" white head on a clear golden body.
S-Big malts with some grassy hops.Maybe some light spices.
T- Light taste. A pretty bland malt a light balance of hops. Very watery taste. Pretty lacking on everything. It is a sweeter taste. Almost like sugar water. The taste that is there isn't bad but I could probably make this with carbonated water and sugar.
M- Thin body low carbonation.
D- Very easy to drink since it is like water. It would be a good beer to sit and drink tons of but if your not just going for a chugging contest this beer is pretty worthless.

11-14-2006 04:53:43 | More by BlindPig
flexabull

3.2/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured a very pale yellow color, very clear too. Head poured big, and stuck around for a while. Pretty good looking beer.

Aromas were faint, a bit of banana?

Taste is pretty much what I expected. Very pale and light. Reminds me of a pilsner in a way. This beer seems to lack a bit up front, but has some round mouthfeel in the finish, with just a hint of sharp hoppy flavors.

Decent beer, certainly drinkable.

10-24-2006 01:52:31 | More by flexabull
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -32%

Lemon yellow beneath a bleached white head of tidy, tight-bubbled foam. Despite the fact that Celts is yellow instead of golden, it's a pretty good looking beer. The surface of the cap is both cobbled and pitted, loses altitude fairly slowly and leaves a decent amount of lace in a 'sponged-on paint' pattern. Works for me.

The nose is pathetically weak. All I can appreciate is a faint grain-like aroma that might lead me to guess 'beer' in a blinded beverage smelling competition (emphasis on the words might and guess). The fact that there are no off-aromas keeps the score out of the basement. Sure would be nice to smell something though.

Simply amazing. I've had a lot of beer over the past three years, but I can count on one hand the ones that have been this tasteless (the only one I can think of on the spot is Michelob Ultra). There's so little to go on here, I don't even know how to proceed. How do I describe impressions when the beer isn't making any?

If I focus... unsweet, untoasted pale malt; moderately bitter, virtually flavorless hops; and old, tired lemons give a minor blip with each mouthful and are then gone in a flash. Moylan's makes a big deal about Celts being a session beer. That doesn't mean that sessioners don't like a little flavor to go along with the liquid. There isn't enough here to keep me interested to the bottom of this bomber, much less during an average length session.

The label boasts of numerous medals (although no golds) won at the California State Fair over the years. Google tells me that it won a silver again this year in the Cream Ale division. American Blonde, Cream Ale... whatever you call it, call it worthless, pointless beer. Warming changes nothing except the temperature of this tonic water.

Actually, tonic water describes the mouthfeel exactly. I defy anyone to tell me the difference between a mouthful of tonic water and a mouthful of Celts. If you need specifics, it's lighter than light and finely, buzzily bubbled. I could handle all of that if it contained even a little... say it with me now... flavor!

I have a lot of questions, but no good answers. #1: How does this nearly flavor-free blonde ale continue to be brewed and sold. #2: How does it continue to win medals at a state fair in the best craft beer state in the nation? #3: How can a brewery that is capable of creating such superior beer as Moylander DIPA, Hopsickle Imperial IPA, Tipperary Pale Ale and Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale also be capable of creating such colossally inferior beer as Celts Golden Ale?

08-31-2006 23:31:11 | More by BuckeyeNation
GClarkage

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

07/18/06- Purchased at Draeger's in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, no freshness dating, poured into my Duvel tulip. Had to choose between two bottles...one with a brown label and one with a green one. Which one is older????

Appearance- Medium golden colored pour, about a 3/4 inch head. Decent head retention with just a tad of lacing.

Smell- A small handful of hops, a slight grainy scent, maybe a dash of fruity sweetness.

Taste- A sweeter malted flavor. Decent amount of hop bitterness. Pretty refreshing. Short and sweet.

Mouthfeel- Higher carbonation, a bit of a heavier mouthfeel due to the malt sweetness.

Drinkability- Better than expected after looking at the review average. Nothing to great, but nothing offensive about this one. A middle of the road to good blonde.

07-20-2006 16:18:44 | More by GClarkage
DogFood11

2.23/5  rDev -27.1%

Bomber poured into a tulip it forms a decent sized, loose head, ivory white, fizzy and fading quickly, no lacning to speak of. Light yellow color, quite pale leaning towards the clear end of the beer world. High carbonation levels.

Smells like it could be interesting, a bit of some raw mash, some sweetness, and a touch of a hop presence.

Not much of this translates into the taste. More to the point actually is that they may come across but its such a jumble. Like a mad hatter threw in a bunch of ingredients and left it to the peons to pull it together as he went on vacation. It starts off quite thick for a golden ale in the mouthfeel, grainy to the point of being wheat laden. Metallic twinge here and there. Malts are sweet and musked up, kinda boring all told. Turning back towards a sharpened carbonation in the middle and finishing with some sweetness and citrus that lingers forever...and ever.

Notes: Admittedly the American Blond ale to me is a style I could do without. I've had some that are good, this one is in the below average category. Seemed like a jumbalya of a blond, meaning it has a bit of everything you'd expect in this category but I'm not sure the blend was spot on for me.

05-10-2006 03:29:23 | More by DogFood11
Boilermaker88

2.35/5  rDev -23.2%

Spent $3.49 at Whole Foods for a 22oz bomber bearing no freshness date. I hadn't had a Moylan's beer in a while and figured it might be the time. I trotted out my trusty mug and got to it.
Okay, I tip the neck over the lip of the glass and tas soon as the clear yellow beer touches the side it simply grenades into a towering mass of foam. I quickly righted the bottle and, in doing so, just manage to keep the roiling foam from escaping the glass. Five minutes later I can try to sneak in some more beer, with similar results. I finally have enough to drink after nearly fifteen minutes of pour-and-wait. Ridiculously over-carbonated.
The smell is entirely one-sided as all I can get is the aromas of orchard fruits - apples, pears, apricots - and a hint of citrus. No spicy or herbal notes at all.
Hmm, each taste is a disconcerting replica of the smell; all fruity sweetness and lacking any hops character. The complete lack of bitterness makes for a lop-sided, fruity mess. The feel was light with a big-time crispiness thanks to the extreme carbonation.
Well, I won't go running back to this Moylan's offering any time soon. Far too carbonated and off-balance. Too bad that a beer that had promise as a good summer refesher turned into such a disappointment. Save your cash for something else on the shelf.

04-02-2006 22:54:11 | More by Boilermaker88
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.53/5  rDev -50%

Tap, Moylans Brewery. Too fizzy for a start, grainy sweet malt and some lemon tang, too thin. I don't see to many BA's or beergeeks getting into this in a hurry. No interesting flavour, or even flavour itself for that matter, you're better off sticking to Moylans IPA's and such.

02-02-2005 20:45:10 | More by rastaman
GCBrewingCo

2.55/5  rDev -16.7%

The beer erupted from the bottle when opened and was a crystal clear pale golden with a fluffly, huge, enormous, lasting, rocky, off-white head.

The aroma was fruity with pineapple from a few feet away. Also a slight ginger aroma like that of ginger ale was present.

The flavor was dry with ginger ale character. A ginger spiciness and flavor lead to a very one dimensional flavor.

The finish was dry with ginger (like ginger ale). The body was medium light to light and extremely overcarbonated.

22 ounce bottle with awards from 1998 and 2000.

08-17-2004 22:31:08 | More by GCBrewingCo
Gusler

Arizona

The beer decamps the 22-ounce brown bottle slightly hazy amber with a huge light tan head that is foamy in texture and as it erodes a thin sheet of lace is left to cover the glass. Malt nose with hints of citrus and a very slight floral tone also noted. Lightly sweet at the start, very light top, the finish has a nice hop bite, dry, very acidic, but not what I would call 'Great', does appear watery, not overly so, but more than I like.

08-15-2004 15:55:01 | More by Gusler
ManekiNeko

3.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Bomber, served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Honey yellow color, slightly hazy. Big ol' near white head. Annoyingly explosive head, to boot. Good retention and nice fluffy chunks of lace.

Smell: Light smell of aromatic hops, kind of herbal. Faint smell of pale malt. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Taste: Splash of herbaceous hops with a light smattering of pale malt sweetness. Slight bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, a 98 lb. weakling. Little aftertaste, rather refreshing.

Drinkability: Advertises itself as a session beer, and I'd say it delivers on that promise. A decently made beer with mass appeal, but I suspect us jaded BA palates might not get all excited about it.

09-28-2003 23:54:53 | More by ManekiNeko
beerguy101

2.9/5  rDev -5.2%

Golden yellow straw color, large head. Aroma is grainy and sweet. Crisp and slightly hopped, kind of bubbly, a little over carbonated? There is a slight fruitiness to this beer, and a subtle, soft mouth feel. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

09-04-2003 02:09:47 | More by beerguy101
beernut7

2.8/5  rDev -8.5%

This was once of the least impressive brews I have had in a while. The bottle gushed immediately upon opening. Considering I bought it off a shelf instead of the recommended cold storage, this isn’t really surprising. The color is very hazy and straw golden underneath an unrelenting head. The aroma is fruity and wreaks of yeast. Once I got down to the actual liquid a smooth mellow malt flavor melded with a buttery and ester yeasty flavor. The bitterness starts and remains mild throughout. All together I think if properly stored this ale might be more impressive, but for now, I’m not too hot for it.

05-25-2003 08:56:58 | More by beernut7
TheLongBeachBum

3.03/5  rDev -1%

Excellent, another new Moylan’s beer to try, this time it is the Celts Golden Pale Ale at 5.0% ABV, I’m tingling already, but is this too soon?

Pours with a pastel pale golden color that has a feint orangey hue, it has a slightly milky appearance that spoils the overall apperance a little. The head formed quickly, a controlled expansion as I poured the beer into my oversize handled Mug ensured that it always stayed on the right side of the glass. Looks are of a mildly hazy thirst quenching golden ale.

Aromas are fruity but restrained, a swirl reveals good inherent carbonation, but this releases little else in the way of any other smells apart from a lemon/lime character. The subdued nose is somewhat of a disappointment after other Moylan’s beers that I have had recently - I expected more than just the light fruity and lemon bouquet to be honest.

Introduction is a mildly fruity one with some lemon-hop presence. The middle builds to a average sweet bitterness, with an equally light malt taste. The finish is crisp, clear, well-defined and dry with some citric personality, but short-lived. No lingering tastes here. Although towards the end of the beer I detected a light bitter hop-oil coating in my mouth, but it was feint.

I am struggling at this point to make my mind up, all of the other Moylan’s beers that I have had have been excellent. And I find no “fault” with this beer. But yet I find this beer far too restrained for a Pale Ale, or my liking. Is it supposed to be this “light”? I guess it is?! – If so, it is just too laid back for me. Don’t get me wrong, this is a good beer, and far from offensive, but for a West Coast Pale Ale – and this is the crux of the problem I believe – whilst I do not expect it to be aggressive, after other Moylan’s beers, I do at least expect it to be bold.

Maybe a good 5% Summer Beer, but I will stick with their highly superb IPA instead I think.

A reasonable beer, but for me, it is the “odd-one-out” in the Moylan’s line-up to be honest.

02-10-2003 20:32:13 | More by TheLongBeachBum
marc77

2.88/5  rDev -5.9%

Hazy light orange hue. Thick, dense, slowly dissapating head. Assertive citric fruity esters consist of lemony - lime, old citrus rind, slightly sour mustiness and a hint of nutty malt. Subdued damp floral Goldings hop nose. Odd aroma overall. Very well carbonated, w/ a spritzy mouthfeel. Flavorwise lemony fruit esters and grainy malt dominate. The light hop bitterness is appropriate considering the equally light malt backbone. Citrusy hop flavor. Dry, citric, lightly nutty finish. Not a beer to be savored... it's too odd. The lemon - lime flavors and light, spritzy feel make this beer reminescent of shandy.

08-09-2002 09:30:47 | More by marc77
ZAP

1.83/5  rDev -40.2%

Myabe a bad bottle...super duper charged..pours a huge head...fruity aroma (pears/apples) soapy tasting..bitter like drinking soap...too charged up...nose is about the only thing average about this beer, the rest is poor...I'm not finishing it it's that bad...

04-25-2002 21:56:09 | More by ZAP