Moylander Double IPA - Moylan's Brewery

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-21-2002

Ratings: 701 | Reviews: 509
4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

My conversation with this beer:

Jef: (pours and looks at pint glass) Hmmm...Your color is moderately clouded in a copper-orangey russeted deep glow, speckled with light flecks of hops and/or yeasties suspended within your murk.
B: You make that sound bad, but don't forget my small but thickly dense dark ivory head that, sure, fades somewhat quickly to a solid skim, but that skim is always present and I have mega amounts of thinly placed sticking sheets of intricate lace all over your glass that eventually breaks into webbing patterns.
Jef: Yes thats quite striking to me.
Pause -
Jef: (Whifff) Ahhh...Hello hops, I love thee!
B: You do?!
Jef: Yes I do, Oh so much...again, Hello...hops, boy you seem awfully resiny and highly floral, fresh and green with a great sweet tone and woodish leafy notes don't you.
B: Yep, and don't forget my lovely backing of soft caramel malt.
Jef: Oh I won't, seems like you've got everything in check. I could smell you all day.
B: Please, you're embarassing me.
Pause - Laugh insinuated
Jef: (Slurp, gulp) Ahhh...Hello hops again, my oh my you are one fine and dandy hopped up beer. Your flavors aren't overly aggressive but layered in a nice complexity with wonderfully rendered resinous and floral tones that tend to bring out some very nice higher end sweet tones and woody fresh leafyness. The dryness is amazingly in control along with the bittering kept mild to my buds yet with enough grab to forward any attention that might otherwise be absent. How do you do that?
B: Well, the soft caramel malts are in an abundant quanity as to balance out any real strong or abrasiveness the hops may bring.
Jef: Ahhh...that's why you taste so good. Great balance with flavors on both scales weighing heavy, nice job my bottled friend.
B: Why thank you.
Jef: And your body seems favorable with a mediumness and some great effects of dryness with your hops. And that lingering resiny woody thing is mind boggling. I'm impressed.
B: C'mon now...stop it, I'm blushing already...
Pause - laugh insinuated.
Jef: I must say I could drink you all night, good thing you're in a bomber otherwise I might have thirsted for more long into the night.
B: Yes, bombers can be a nice treat. I too I'm glad. For the both of us.
Jef: Alas, I have poured all your hoppy yummyness into my glass, I will finish off my glass and smile with glee as the hops will surely be dancing in my head for the rest of my forseen future til next we meet.
B: (Left speechless)
Jef: Ahhh...A stupendous thanks goes to"...fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly weefisheads!"
End scene with a smile and a beer...

4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Draft at their brewpub........I have been to the mountain top, and there is a glass of this waiting. A beautiful copper color. Big, fluffy, perfect head, that stays longer than your mother-in-law at Thanksgiving. Huge hop aromas smack you around like a girly man, then wham, the perfectly balanced flavor passes over your taste buds, and all is right with the world. Unbelievable hop taste, oily, resin, yummy bubbles floating on the head, then a big carmel roastedness in the middle. Finishes strong, and challenges you have another. For hop heads out there, this is the holy grail. I carried 2 bottles over 2500 miles, (Sacramento, CA to Port St. Lucie, FL) to preserve them for a special occasion. This and Montgomery Inn Barbecue Sauce are the finest substance to be created by man. Sorry, I couldn't match Venom's eloquent description, but I love this beer.
Cheers to Brendan Moylan-Brewer/Genuis

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Get your hands on this one, kiddies! Moylan's generally does an excellent job in the "big beer" category, and this entry is no exception. Amber in color with a slight haze and a thick, creamy, off-white head. The aroma is just as hoppy as you'd expect -- resinous, citric, with a bit of a pine sap. So OK, you're thinking...Just another big-ass hoppy California IPA? Big Whoop, right? Wrong! This beer is balanced like you wouldn't believe by a *lovely* toasty, slightly biscuity malt. The hops are there, of course, piney and resinous, but while they are big in flavor they are also surprisingly soft. Crisp in mouthfeel with a somewhat oily texture, and a nice lingering bitter aftertaste that seems to fill the mouth like smoke. YUM.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

Lots of reviews for this so I'll be brief....

Fruity hops all the way, with just the right amount of malt under it (not too much). On the dark side for my taste, but carmel malts are way in the background and the flowery hops are way upfront. Very hoppy but not too bitter, perhaps something bitter beer haters could appreciate.

Simply put, when this beer is fresh, it's the best beer in California.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

The label says “Moylan’s Moylander Double IPA Ale” as you read it top to bottom. Is it me, or is there one too many A and/or Ales in there? Geez, I’m being anal again – who friggin’ cares – this is one *seriously great* beer.

I have a feeling that if it came in an Alesmith, Bear Republic or better still, a Stone Bottle, it would be better known, more widely drunk, and people would better appreciate it and rave about it more. Although, as I read the prior reviews, some obviously do - well I have just joined their ranks.

It is a beautiful, exceptional clear looking copper brown color with a dark golden-orange light fantastic sparkle akin to that from holding a Jar of home made Marmalade up to the light. The head is extremely active, yet always behaved as it forms a well presented very smooth head, about 1” in depth at first. As it slowly dies to a thin covering throughout the drink, it laces the glass extremely well.

So that’s it then, it looks good – But Wait, NO!!! You just have to smell the aroma from this beer to really fully appreciate it. Definitely one of the very best from a hoppy beer, for it is so real, so “organic”. Have I just woken up in a Kentish Hopfield with a mouth full of hops, sure smells like it. A grassy, resin-like pine needle aroma that is something else. This smells SOOO good, Hopheads will love it. I have just fastened some string to an open bottle and it is now dangling from the rearview mirror in my Car – who needs those cardboard Pine Tree Air Fresheners? – A Quite Superb Nose!

The taste is not shy in backing up the big-ass nasal promise from the aromas. Pungent hoppiness invades the mouth. This is an oily hoppiness in the beginning, as opposed to a bitter one, and it coats the mouth with a slick viscous residue that lingers longer than Willy Wonka’s Ever-Lasting Gob-Stopper. Wow. As the middle warms the hop character becomes more bitter than your ex-wife, and eventually fades strongly to a lingering astringent hoppy vine bitterness. Shit this is good.

I have never drunk sap from a Pine Tree, but I guess it may smell and taste like this.

Bloody Hell I love this beer!!! It is well worth seeking out. Do not be put off by the rather plain looking brown and yellow label, nor the Moylan’s name, this is one serious kick-ass hop-juice that can mix it with the better known CA-IPA big boys quite easily.

Highly Impressive.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

Pres: A dark brown 22oz. bomber with the big M printed on it. Pours a nice copper color with bright orange highlights. Impressive foamy white head and great lacing.

Smell: Hoppy as hell! Massive aroma of grassy/citrusy/pine hops hits the nostrils hard. I can detect malt notes underneath.

Taste: Very complex. Sweet malt flavor initially with a nice grassy/floral hop middle and then BAM! a citrusy bitter finish and a pine-like dryness on the palate. WOW! Impressive hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Moderately full bodied, really quenches my thirst and then leaves my palate dry, I need another sip!

Awesome brew, more on the hoppy side but very drinkable. If you're not a hop head and you want to take this bad boy on, you better pack a lunch!

Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $3.99. The beer was served into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very clear coppery coloration. The head was two fingers high creamy white in coloration. The lacing produced concentric rings around the glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with pine resin and grapefruit citrus zest. There is a massive sweet caramel maltyness backing this beer up.

Taste: This beer is loaded with hoppy pine resin and grapefruit taste. The hops have a very oily quality and seem to last forever. The beer has a massive malt backbone standing up to the hops. The hops dominate the malty sweetness of the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The beer has a pleasant hop oilyness expanding the hop taste. This a very aggressively hopped beer. This is a excellent beer drink. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish. The beer tasted and was more enjoyable after about 20 minutes out of the fridge.

4.79/5  rDev +19.2%

pours a deep golden color with hints of orange with two finger white creamy head. that has good retention, and pretty good lacing.

HUGE aromas of pine and grapefruit and orange zest. Fill my nose, with a slight sweet fresh bread dough in the back drop.

The flavor reflects the nose very well but with a hefty chewy bitterness. Along with all the citrusy and pine notes from the hops there is also resiny floral charachteristic. Very complex. but the prominant flavor is orange zest.

This beer has a really smooth big body. It's chewy yet goes down very smooth. It has a lasting bitter finish, whick I like. And slightly dry at the very end.

As far as drinkability goes this beer is extremly drinkable thus the 4.5 score but given the alcohol percentage I wouldn't want to have more than one bottle of these. But I highly recommend any true hop love like myself that you should invest in at least one of these bottles. And try their hopsicle beer as well.

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

What a big big beer! Smells like a hop storage room! Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever had. Very thick body, stouts are thin compared to this. Very indulgent hoppy finish. 8.5% is a little stronger than what I normally like, but I can see having this for when I want to indulge in a esoteric beer. This Brewpub is close to where I lived about 15 years ago and is only about 45 minutes away from my present residence. I will make Moylans a stop on my next trip up north or for that matter, sooner. My buddy Johnny P. would love this IPA. If he ever comes out this way I'll take him to Moylans for this brew! When I woke up this morning I was actually thinking of this amazing beer. So I upped my ranking a bit. IPA is fast becoming my favorite domestic style.

4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

Holy malt, Batman! This DIPA is impressive all around. After opening the 22 oz. bottle, the aromas wafting to my nose were exquisite--plenty of malt, but with ample citrus--orange, lemon, perhaps pineapple. The taste is bold, complex, and outstanding. The malt and citrus blend nicely, and several minutes into this treasure, there is still a thin but durable layer of white foamy head atop the cloudy orange brew, and the foam has laced the mug in rich rings. I'm deeply impressed.

Lots of malt, and the smooth texture somewhat hides decent carbonation. Really an exquisite DIPA. It's eminently drinkable, but the high ABV and big 22 oz. bottle would make a second difficult to finish.

This won't be the last time I grab a giant bottle of Moylan's DIPA. It's incredible. I'm officially wowed.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

22oz. bomber. "Live Ale!"

Appearance: An aggressive pour results in a deep golden honey color with a billowing off-white head. Massive sheets of lacing on my glass. Head refuses to yield, maintaining a sturdy two-fingered layer.

Smell: Someone has inserted a grapefruit in my nose! Massive dose of grapefruit scents ravages the nostrils. Small notes of caramel malty sweetness also noted at the end. Absolutely lovely.

Taste: Folks...if you don't like hops, stay the hell away from this hop monster. Lots and lots and lots (repeat PRN) of hops dissect your palate into nothingness. But what is even nicer is the balancing act performed by the malts. You begin to appreciate just how large of a job the malt has in trying to tame this bucking bronco of leafy hopness. Finishes with a long-lasting, dare I say...ESB-like finish, with an iced tea sweetness right at the very end.

Mouthfeel and drinkability: Medium-bodied, and very smooth for such a hoppy beer. 8.5% ABV? Surely you must be kidding! Not even a whiff or ETOH noted with this one. EXTREMELY drinkable...the hoppy pine oils on the lips are just icing on the cake of hope leaves. As it warmed to room temperature, it changes somewhat, with the malty sweetness beginning to emerge.

Notes: What a great beer! This beer could certainly hold its own on the "muscle beach" of west-coast big-time IPA's. Very, very well-done.

Notes, part 2: A hugely stupendous thanks to WeeFishHeads for this bottle. Rest assured that it was truly enjoyed.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

The aroma of this beer is ominous. It is aggressively sweet with fruity malts – almost barleywine-like – and ornamented with a fine thread of floral hop bouquet. The smell carries a prescient air that foreshadows a great beer to come.

The idea of the double IPA is consistent with the great American notion that more is better; a mythos I don’t subscribe to. Moylander’s label says, “If one is good, then two is better.” Many’s the man who has gotten himself into some serious trouble precisely by embracing such a doctrine. The branding of this as an “IPA ale” further emphasizes Moylan’s penchant for doubleness, if not redundancy.

But there can be no mistaking the brewer’s achievement here. The Double IPA pours with a tall, compact head to a body that is brawny and robust. It is a deep hazy garnet color with a full mouthfeel and crisp carbonation that leaves behind a total wall-to-wall mask of lace on the glass. The fruity taste is fig-like and features a profuse measure of mellifluous malts greeted by a tight punch of bittering hops. The hops are not merely abundant, but compellingly fresh and omnipresent. They shape a gentle slope towards a soothing aftertaste. It’s like a stroll through a hop garden.

The temptation is always there for a brewer to go overboard and spoil a 2IPA with gluttonous excess. Moylan’s has successfully resisted this temptation while still achieving the uncompromised musculature that the style requires. This beer is smooth and supremely well balanced. Its overall character is profound.

The Moylander Double IPA is a beer with its own appetite. Drink it deliberately, slowly, proudly and often.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Straight nice and hoppy grapefruit aroma, fine head especially for an ale, light gold amber color, very cloudy big full hop taste with grapefruit aftertaste, very smooth texture, Wonderful top 50 stuff, no fancy gimmicks, a succulent hop feast the way it should be.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a straight pint glass. Clear, on the slightly pale side of amber, nice thick head with good lace.

Plenty of pine and citrus in the nose, a touch of malt too. Just the right amount of sweetness up front with some kind of flavour for just about every part of the tongue and a delicious dry finish without a mouth-puckering bitterness. Good full-bodied mouthfeel and a good aftertaste that's lingering between sips. I think I'll be tasting this one for a good while after I've finished the bottle. This is a delicious beer that I could drink all night if it wasn't for the ABV. Very nice.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer poured a rich amber color with a sightly off white head that lasted most of the beer with better than average lacing. The smell was that of pure hops, a very floral aroma with hints of grapefruit. There were some hints of malt, but they were very faint.

The taste of this beer was great, a very strong hop flavor all the way through. There was some malt flavor there that was very good, because it was not sweet at all. It was a nice bitter malt flavor that was a nice base for all the hops. The mouthfeel was very good, with the beer having a slightly thick viscosity and the CO2 being perfect.

A great DIPA from Moylan's. If you are a hop head give this beer a shot, you will not be disappointed.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

Last day of vacation Good end cap. The color is vibrant orange/amber and very hazy. The nose was a burst of tropical fruits and pine resin. The taste is this and much more. After the fruit bomb comes the sting of hops and grapefruit kick. This dbl ipa has a good malt backbone that makes the mouthfeel smooth and gives a quick sweet blast of camramel and brown sugar before the hops take over once again and the finish is dry. Last note really nice lacing all the way dowm the glass.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

my sinuses still need de-congesting, so I'm in need of a super-hoppy IPA to jump-start the nostrils...and so we delve into the Moylander, and observe it's rich, reddish-orange body, topped with a creamy, lacey bubbly, 1/2" cap of foam, besotted by various floating things, though I fear them not.
Aroma: bangThere's that pine-resiney hop essence to the core, right up in your nasal cavity, thrilling every spot of you, fresh, fruity, full, and spikey, hints of apricot, grapefruit, melon rind, cherries, choice grapes...yum, I says, and yum, it is. Just wait a bit, I want to keep smellin'...
So, to taste: Aaahhh, there's hops all over the place, jumping on board the palate, sticking their flag of humulus lupus on the tongue, driven straight through that taste-receptive organ, with not a chance of departure or eviction. Bristling, buzzing, shining, really, for this is the juicy, tasty stuff, bitter, yes a bit, but that's the part that fades. And every swallow repeats this process, it's like chomping through the very whole of a particularly ripe and luscious fruit, a warm and electric thrill, wholly natural, yet almost out of this world.
Body is plentiful, texture, a blast of hoppiness, a orgasm of gorgeous, bitter flavors, and the finish near undefeatable, lasting long on the palate, but not quite as long as we like.
Yet another greatly flavorful brew that earns the bomber respresentation more than handily, but truly get me a carafe, no, a growler, heck, a magnum of this stuff...no, a Jeroboam, a Hezekiah, a Methuselah...don't think I could ever tire of it, to be true.
Nearly at the end, at there's still potency and freshness here, a glorious expression of hop character that must rank with the best!
Big thanks to Mr. Wee of the Fisheads for another excellent PNW treat!

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Got this bottle by courtesy of LA-based BA Dukeofearl(Greg), when he visited London with Alice 6 months ago... He reminded me to drink it asap as there's no freshness info. on the bottle, but I intentionally postpone the tasting until now so as to see if the presumably seriously-hoppy beer might be any different from what I anticipated. Served cool in a goblet.

A: cloudy and semi-opaque, dark copperish colour with stark reddish hues, coming with a very tight, frothy beige-hued beer head, slo...wly settling down and leaving very fine sheets of lacing along the way. Very low carbonation.
S: semi-sweetish caramel and creamy maltiness decorated with a lightly sour pineapple-ish yeasty backbone, balanced elegantly with the mighty hoppyness mixed of grapefruit-flavoured candy, ripe fresh lychees, dried longan-fruit, spring blossoms, apricots... the hops are abundant and rich but not trespassing the necessary balance. Very elegant, somehow very different from other monsterous hoppy DIPAs I've tasted~~
T: upfront the silky-smooth, mildly-caramellic maltiness caresses the palate ever so gently, gradually yielding a tea-ish hoppy overtone backed by lots of fruit/flower-esters; the intially-restrained hoppy bitterness gradually creeps up in intensity, until reaching a satisfying degree with that soothing, slightly tannic-bitter, effect, like that of a cup of high-quality, deeply-infused Chinese high-mountain ooh-long tea (on stems) paired with a mildly sweetish aftertaste of dried longan-fruits. Ever-lasting yet attenuated bitter aftertaste, leaving but a faint touch of warming alc. deep down the throat.
M: this is by far the most soothing and soft amongst only few DIPAs I've tried, with that rich flavour treading so lightly on the tongue... Maybe ageing has softened its oily hoppy texture and its fizzy body, but this beer as it is now is no doubt in my mind at its most enjoyable and approachable. Not as heavy, explosvie or richly hoppy as other samples I've tried, this beer provides a unique type of enjoyment. Its strongly tea-ish texture and flavour profile even reminds me of some heavier samples of English IPAs.
D: an absolutely beautiful and quaffable beer... literally, a gentle giant... I thank Greg (Dukeofearl) a bunch for bringing me this brilliant brew. (If only there were two bottles of this~~)

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into an Ommegang chalice. Scent of this beer is already taking over the room.

A-Hazy orange with a modicum of frothy head. Excellent lacing.
S-HOP CITY.
T-Long, langourous, lingering hop attack. Is this dryhopped? First draught was a rapid succession of hop identities, each appearing in a flash then morphing into the next, like that Michael Jackson (not the beer guy) video i saw once....Dryhop/grapefruit/orange/pine needle/citrus orchard/pine forest/pine floorboards/orange grove/pine sap/lemon pith/pine cone/hop/ hops/ hops/ hop oil...wham wham wham wham wham...you get the picture....and the hop burps are righteous on this one. Seriously, they're UNBELIEVEABLE. (and I love it...) I can't even think about the malts in this beer: they support the hop attack nicely though. Alcohol isn't noticable. This beer is delicious and worth taking the time to get to know better, it seems to me....I feel like a chump cos I only got one bottle...damn.
M-Medium mouthfeel. Ace hop support system...
D-I could drink this anytime. Con mucho gusto!

CRUX: KICK ASS IPA. I can't get no Stone Ruination where I live without ordering it from a beverage shipper; but with this beer about to take up serious residencey in the DBF, it looks like it's gonna be a good summer. Great, Great stuff. I look forward to trying more bottles and honing this review. A MUST TRY FOR IPA LOVERS.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a translucent orange/gold hue with a big creamy white head that is mostly sustaining and leaves a lot of thick lacing on the glass
S- Nose is dominated by thick and sweet pine and citrus hops (grapefruit mostly), as well as spice and herbs, and a touch of alcohol and yeasty malts, the aroma is delicious and bold yet well-balanced
T- Initial taste is dominated by grapefruit and pine hops balanced by a nice mix of sweet malts, some nice herbs and pepper come in midway, finishes with a slight warming alcohol presence and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied DIPA that has a creamy/oily texture, good carbonation
D- Even at 8.5%, this is a well-balanced DIPA that does a great job of masking the alcohol content.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance – The body is darkish orange with tons of sediment. The slightly-tanned head came up beautifully and settled slowly, leaving thick, creamy pits of foam puddled on top of the liquid.

Smell – Nice, complex hop nose to this one. All of the usual West Coast suspects seem to be present here and perfectly in balance. The piney notes are handsomely offset by some big citrus and fuggle-type of smells. I enjoyed the floral aspect of this nose as well. It even had a slight, sugary malt compliment.

Taste – Oh, is this good. Talk about delivering! The flavors came out beautifully at the taste. They were strikingly similar to the nose but added a bit more of the sugary malts to come up with a brilliant balance.

Mouthfeel – A little heavier than medium-bodied and drier than expected, which was a nice surprise. This was creamy and extremely well-balanced.

Drinkability – This is one of the smoothest IPAs on the planet. It isn’t over-hopped like a lot of efforts at the style (although I love “over-hopped”). This was the epitome of balance for an Imperial/Double IPA. Another huge hit by Moylan’s!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I picked this up at my wife's work the other day.

Appearance- amber color, nice head

Smell- piney and citrus hops, very nice

Taste- piney hops

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This was a really good DIPA. Moylan's did a great job with this one as they usually do. I will be getting more.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

I smelled the strong pleasant aroma--citrus, with a hint of apple, upon opening the bottle. Poured to a golden orange color with a creamy head that lingered for most of the drink. Excellent lacing and carbonation bubbles; one of the better appearances I’ve seen in a while. Strong and bitter, as expected with an IPA, and spicy citrus flavor was consistent for the whole beer. I would have rated this even higher, but the 8.5 alcohol content became more evident from mid-bottle, and dominated the finish toward the end. All and all, an excellent IPA--don’t try to drink more than 2 at one sitting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer poured a wonderous dark red amber color and formed a nice off white bubbly healt that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. Some carbonation is present. A wonderful balanced aroma of hops and caramel. The flavor is of hops and caramel with a touch of spices. The finish is of a medium body with a nice hop bitterness lightened by some caramel sweetness. A fine IPA and I wish Moylan's would now add Ohio to their distribution with our new laws.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured with a huge rocky head the color of grain that stuck around. The beer itself is a hazy dark golden color.

The aroma is all piney and fruity hops with an underlying malt sweetness.

T/MF- A great beer, and a real hop bomb but with a great balance of malt. I actually think this is a better beer than their hopsickle because of the great balance here. The beer has a grainy, thick body that supports the hops beautifully. The hops themselves are piney and earthy and have a citrus finish. The beer is perhaps a little overcarbonated.

Due to its great flavor profile, the beer is very drinkable, but definitely a little heavy as well.

Moylander Double IPA from Moylan's Brewery