Moylander Double IPA - Moylan's Brewery

Moylander Double IPAMoylander Double IPA

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-21-2002)

despond, Nov 20, 2011

ATXRyan, Nov 17, 2011

BigJohnShow, Aug 31, 2014

loupap, Nov 15, 2011

wpreynolds, Nov 20, 2011

rab53, Dec 02, 2011

ErikMP, Dec 17, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +22.6%

My conversation with this beer:

Jef: (pours and looks at pint glass) Hmmm...Your color is moderately clouded in a copper-orangey russeted deep glow, speckled with light flecks of hops and/or yeasties suspended within your murk.
B: You make that sound bad, but don't forget my small but thickly dense dark ivory head that, sure, fades somewhat quickly to a solid skim, but that skim is always present and I have mega amounts of thinly placed sticking sheets of intricate lace all over your glass that eventually breaks into webbing patterns.
Jef: Yes thats quite striking to me.
Pause -
Jef: (Whifff) Ahhh...Hello hops, I love thee!
B: You do?!
Jef: Yes I do, Oh so much...again, Hello...hops, boy you seem awfully resiny and highly floral, fresh and green with a great sweet tone and woodish leafy notes don't you.
B: Yep, and don't forget my lovely backing of soft caramel malt.
Jef: Oh I won't, seems like you've got everything in check. I could smell you all day.
B: Please, you're embarassing me.
Pause - Laugh insinuated
Jef: (Slurp, gulp) Ahhh...Hello hops again, my oh my you are one fine and dandy hopped up beer. Your flavors aren't overly aggressive but layered in a nice complexity with wonderfully rendered resinous and floral tones that tend to bring out some very nice higher end sweet tones and woody fresh leafyness. The dryness is amazingly in control along with the bittering kept mild to my buds yet with enough grab to forward any attention that might otherwise be absent. How do you do that?
B: Well, the soft caramel malts are in an abundant quanity as to balance out any real strong or abrasiveness the hops may bring.
Jef: Ahhh...that's why you taste so good. Great balance with flavors on both scales weighing heavy, nice job my bottled friend.
B: Why thank you.
Jef: And your body seems favorable with a mediumness and some great effects of dryness with your hops. And that lingering resiny woody thing is mind boggling. I'm impressed.
B: C'mon now...stop it, I'm blushing already...
Pause - laugh insinuated.
Jef: I must say I could drink you all night, good thing you're in a bomber otherwise I might have thirsted for more long into the night.
B: Yes, bombers can be a nice treat. I too I'm glad. For the both of us.
Jef: Alas, I have poured all your hoppy yummyness into my glass, I will finish off my glass and smile with glee as the hops will surely be dancing in my head for the rest of my forseen future til next we meet.
B: (Left speechless)
Jef: Ahhh...A stupendous thanks goes to"...fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly weefisheads!"
End scene with a smile and a beer...

tavernjef, Feb 20, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Draft at their brewpub........I have been to the mountain top, and there is a glass of this waiting. A beautiful copper color. Big, fluffy, perfect head, that stays longer than your mother-in-law at Thanksgiving. Huge hop aromas smack you around like a girly man, then wham, the perfectly balanced flavor passes over your taste buds, and all is right with the world. Unbelievable hop taste, oily, resin, yummy bubbles floating on the head, then a big carmel roastedness in the middle. Finishes strong, and challenges you have another. For hop heads out there, this is the holy grail. I carried 2 bottles over 2500 miles, (Sacramento, CA to Port St. Lucie, FL) to preserve them for a special occasion. This and Montgomery Inn Barbecue Sauce are the finest substance to be created by man. Sorry, I couldn't match Venom's eloquent description, but I love this beer.
Cheers to Brendan Moylan-Brewer/Genuis

StevieW, Jun 06, 2002
4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Get your hands on this one, kiddies! Moylan's generally does an excellent job in the "big beer" category, and this entry is no exception. Amber in color with a slight haze and a thick, creamy, off-white head. The aroma is just as hoppy as you'd expect -- resinous, citric, with a bit of a pine sap. So OK, you're thinking...Just another big-ass hoppy California IPA? Big Whoop, right? Wrong! This beer is balanced like you wouldn't believe by a *lovely* toasty, slightly biscuity malt. The hops are there, of course, piney and resinous, but while they are big in flavor they are also surprisingly soft. Crisp in mouthfeel with a somewhat oily texture, and a nice lingering bitter aftertaste that seems to fill the mouth like smoke. YUM.

mzwolinski, Jan 13, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Lots of reviews for this so I'll be brief....

Fruity hops all the way, with just the right amount of malt under it (not too much). On the dark side for my taste, but carmel malts are way in the background and the flowery hops are way upfront. Very hoppy but not too bitter, perhaps something bitter beer haters could appreciate.

Simply put, when this beer is fresh, it's the best beer in California.

rayjay, Jul 27, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $3.99. The beer was served into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very clear coppery coloration. The head was two fingers high creamy white in coloration. The lacing produced concentric rings around the glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with pine resin and grapefruit citrus zest. There is a massive sweet caramel maltyness backing this beer up.

Taste: This beer is loaded with hoppy pine resin and grapefruit taste. The hops have a very oily quality and seem to last forever. The beer has a massive malt backbone standing up to the hops. The hops dominate the malty sweetness of the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The beer has a pleasant hop oilyness expanding the hop taste. This a very aggressively hopped beer. This is a excellent beer drink. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish. The beer tasted and was more enjoyable after about 20 minutes out of the fridge.

nlmartin, May 01, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

The label says “Moylan’s Moylander Double IPA Ale” as you read it top to bottom. Is it me, or is there one too many A and/or Ales in there? Geez, I’m being anal again – who friggin’ cares – this is one *seriously great* beer.

I have a feeling that if it came in an Alesmith, Bear Republic or better still, a Stone Bottle, it would be better known, more widely drunk, and people would better appreciate it and rave about it more. Although, as I read the prior reviews, some obviously do - well I have just joined their ranks.

It is a beautiful, exceptional clear looking copper brown color with a dark golden-orange light fantastic sparkle akin to that from holding a Jar of home made Marmalade up to the light. The head is extremely active, yet always behaved as it forms a well presented very smooth head, about 1” in depth at first. As it slowly dies to a thin covering throughout the drink, it laces the glass extremely well.

So that’s it then, it looks good – But Wait, NO!!! You just have to smell the aroma from this beer to really fully appreciate it. Definitely one of the very best from a hoppy beer, for it is so real, so “organic”. Have I just woken up in a Kentish Hopfield with a mouth full of hops, sure smells like it. A grassy, resin-like pine needle aroma that is something else. This smells SOOO good, Hopheads will love it. I have just fastened some string to an open bottle and it is now dangling from the rearview mirror in my Car – who needs those cardboard Pine Tree Air Fresheners? – A Quite Superb Nose!

The taste is not shy in backing up the big-ass nasal promise from the aromas. Pungent hoppiness invades the mouth. This is an oily hoppiness in the beginning, as opposed to a bitter one, and it coats the mouth with a slick viscous residue that lingers longer than Willy Wonka’s Ever-Lasting Gob-Stopper. Wow. As the middle warms the hop character becomes more bitter than your ex-wife, and eventually fades strongly to a lingering astringent hoppy vine bitterness. Shit this is good.

I have never drunk sap from a Pine Tree, but I guess it may smell and taste like this.

Bloody Hell I love this beer!!! It is well worth seeking out. Do not be put off by the rather plain looking brown and yellow label, nor the Moylan’s name, this is one serious kick-ass hop-juice that can mix it with the better known CA-IPA big boys quite easily.

Highly Impressive.

TheLongBeachBum, Mar 04, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Pres: A dark brown 22oz. bomber with the big M printed on it. Pours a nice copper color with bright orange highlights. Impressive foamy white head and great lacing.

Smell: Hoppy as hell! Massive aroma of grassy/citrusy/pine hops hits the nostrils hard. I can detect malt notes underneath.

Taste: Very complex. Sweet malt flavor initially with a nice grassy/floral hop middle and then BAM! a citrusy bitter finish and a pine-like dryness on the palate. WOW! Impressive hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Moderately full bodied, really quenches my thirst and then leaves my palate dry, I need another sip!

Awesome brew, more on the hoppy side but very drinkable. If you're not a hop head and you want to take this bad boy on, you better pack a lunch!

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Jan 22, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

pours a deep golden color with hints of orange with two finger white creamy head. that has good retention, and pretty good lacing.

HUGE aromas of pine and grapefruit and orange zest. Fill my nose, with a slight sweet fresh bread dough in the back drop.

The flavor reflects the nose very well but with a hefty chewy bitterness. Along with all the citrusy and pine notes from the hops there is also resiny floral charachteristic. Very complex. but the prominant flavor is orange zest.

This beer has a really smooth big body. It's chewy yet goes down very smooth. It has a lasting bitter finish, whick I like. And slightly dry at the very end.

As far as drinkability goes this beer is extremly drinkable thus the 4.5 score but given the alcohol percentage I wouldn't want to have more than one bottle of these. But I highly recommend any true hop love like myself that you should invest in at least one of these bottles. And try their hopsicle beer as well.

hoplover82, Mar 09, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

What a big big beer! Smells like a hop storage room! Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever had. Very thick body, stouts are thin compared to this. Very indulgent hoppy finish. 8.5% is a little stronger than what I normally like, but I can see having this for when I want to indulge in a esoteric beer. This Brewpub is close to where I lived about 15 years ago and is only about 45 minutes away from my present residence. I will make Moylans a stop on my next trip up north or for that matter, sooner. My buddy Johnny P. would love this IPA. If he ever comes out this way I'll take him to Moylans for this brew! When I woke up this morning I was actually thinking of this amazing beer. So I upped my ranking a bit. IPA is fast becoming my favorite domestic style.

Mark, Jun 22, 2002

IDrankWhat, Jun 26, 2012

GOGRANDE, Dec 05, 2012

BRLockwood, May 27, 2013

Turney, Apr 09, 2013

EnojysAnyBeer, Apr 15, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

Holy malt, Batman! This DIPA is impressive all around. After opening the 22 oz. bottle, the aromas wafting to my nose were exquisite--plenty of malt, but with ample citrus--orange, lemon, perhaps pineapple. The taste is bold, complex, and outstanding. The malt and citrus blend nicely, and several minutes into this treasure, there is still a thin but durable layer of white foamy head atop the cloudy orange brew, and the foam has laced the mug in rich rings. I'm deeply impressed.

Lots of malt, and the smooth texture somewhat hides decent carbonation. Really an exquisite DIPA. It's eminently drinkable, but the high ABV and big 22 oz. bottle would make a second difficult to finish.

This won't be the last time I grab a giant bottle of Moylan's DIPA. It's incredible. I'm officially wowed.

Gehrig, Dec 08, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Straight nice and hoppy grapefruit aroma, fine head especially for an ale, light gold amber color, very cloudy big full hop taste with grapefruit aftertaste, very smooth texture, Wonderful top 50 stuff, no fancy gimmicks, a succulent hop feast the way it should be.

grynder33, Mar 22, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a straight pint glass. Clear, on the slightly pale side of amber, nice thick head with good lace.

Plenty of pine and citrus in the nose, a touch of malt too. Just the right amount of sweetness up front with some kind of flavour for just about every part of the tongue and a delicious dry finish without a mouth-puckering bitterness. Good full-bodied mouthfeel and a good aftertaste that's lingering between sips. I think I'll be tasting this one for a good while after I've finished the bottle. This is a delicious beer that I could drink all night if it wasn't for the ABV. Very nice.

omnigrits, Feb 21, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

22oz. bomber. "Live Ale!"

Appearance: An aggressive pour results in a deep golden honey color with a billowing off-white head. Massive sheets of lacing on my glass. Head refuses to yield, maintaining a sturdy two-fingered layer.

Smell: Someone has inserted a grapefruit in my nose! Massive dose of grapefruit scents ravages the nostrils. Small notes of caramel malty sweetness also noted at the end. Absolutely lovely.

Taste: Folks...if you don't like hops, stay the hell away from this hop monster. Lots and lots and lots (repeat PRN) of hops dissect your palate into nothingness. But what is even nicer is the balancing act performed by the malts. You begin to appreciate just how large of a job the malt has in trying to tame this bucking bronco of leafy hopness. Finishes with a long-lasting, dare I say...ESB-like finish, with an iced tea sweetness right at the very end.

Mouthfeel and drinkability: Medium-bodied, and very smooth for such a hoppy beer. 8.5% ABV? Surely you must be kidding! Not even a whiff or ETOH noted with this one. EXTREMELY drinkable...the hoppy pine oils on the lips are just icing on the cake of hope leaves. As it warmed to room temperature, it changes somewhat, with the malty sweetness beginning to emerge.

Notes: What a great beer! This beer could certainly hold its own on the "muscle beach" of west-coast big-time IPA's. Very, very well-done.

Notes, part 2: A hugely stupendous thanks to WeeFishHeads for this bottle. Rest assured that it was truly enjoyed.

OldFrothingSlosh, Feb 21, 2004