Moylander Double IPA - Moylan's Brewery

Moylander Double IPAMoylander Double IPA

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-21-2002)
1.93/5  rDev -52%

A- This beer looks very, very nice. Big, huge white head with lacing that is among the thickest Ive ever seen. The beer is a glowing, caramel orange of moderate clarity.

S- Like most true double IPAs that I have had the malts are out front. The malts here are HUGE in the nose. Big caramel malt smell. Nearly nothing else. The aroma is very sweet.

T- Ok, I dont know if this is some sort of joke or the bottle is bad or this is the way the beer is supposed to be. The taste starts out nice and caramel malty but shortly there after I am overwhelmed with a HUGE medicinal taste. This is just like chewing aspirin. I have tasted hops that have an astringent or medicinal after taste but this is crazy. It is totally appalling.

M- The mouthfeel is fine despite the taste. Nearly full bodied and dry.

D- This is one of the only beers that I have not been able to finish. Usually I can drink anything but this hugely medicinal aftertaste is undrinkable for me.

A - A huge foamy eternal head sits atop a hazy copper brew. A few thick tiers of lacing line the side of the glass.

S - A strong hop profile - although is largely smells like medicine. A touch of bad perfume and pine. The smell reminds me a little of this stuff I had to drink when I needed to get a CAT scan of my stomach.

T - It tastes bitter. So there is some very faint light malt, alcohol and some metals, nickel and tin. The bitterness is extremely potent. It isn't pleasant either, just bitter. Some medicinal with a bit of floral and earthy undertones - but mostly just an intense bitterness that is otherwise devoid of character. This bitter lingers long into the aftertaste, plaguing my taste buds with its abrasive presence. Not good at all. I actually love most bitter beers too, but this lack any balancing presence. Hopsicle is much, much better.

M - Smooth brew with a medium body. If it weren't for the bitterness, it would probably be refreshing.

D - Blegh! This is too bitter. Don't get me wrong - I like bitter, but this is bitter for the sake of bitterness. Most bitter beers are balanced by something, either potent hops or some light sweetness, but this is just constant, caustic bitterness. I want to try this some other time to see if it was just perception, but otherwise, I don't recommend. I usually like bitter things . . .

2.2/5  rDev -45.3%

A: Pours into the glass with copperish color and 1/4 inch head that dosen't stick around and no lacing.
S: Has a more maltier smell than hoppy, I don't care for the smell that much.
Taste: There just isn't enough hoppy goodness in this beer for me. The grain bill in this case seems to be too caramel malty heaviness. I don't like it that much.
M: Good carbonation, Your drinking something of substance here. Full rich ale
D:Too malty richness. I can't drink much of this I'm sure at the end of the night I'll have a belly ache or massive acid reflux.

I love 2IPAs but this one is just missing the mark in my humble opinion. I don't think there are any late additions of hops in this brew, I sure can't smell them if there is. It is almost too bitter. I would bet if they used the same hop bill but changed there boil times to make them a little later on in the boil they would have a much better brew. I payed $7.99 for a 22oz. bottle(that was on sale) I will not be buying this one again when I can buy a 22oz. of Racer 5 for $4.59 or a pint+ of Pliny the Elder at $4.79. Both are cheaper and better tasting in my opinoin.

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

A-A nice golden color, but has a chill haze issue.

S-Smells of subdued cascade hops. Not much amora hops in this one. Light on the floral notes, heavy on the maltiness for an IPA.

T-Good bittering flavor, but just doesn't have the flavoring hops to back it up. As indicated by the aroma, this one is on the sweet end of the IPA spectrum. A bit of caramel notes. This one tastes darker than the color would indicate.

M-Attacks the top of the palate with the bitterness and is well carbed. The sweetness comes out with a heavier mouthfeel. Really coats the whole mouth with the hop bitterness and it lingers.

D-This one is just too bitter with many redeeming qualities to drink too much of. I am as big of a hop head as the next guy, but there needs to be some flavor and aroma to go with the bitterness.

Overall-I know this doesn't mean anything to anyone here, but this one tastes just like my first homebrew. I can't find much technically wrong with it, but the balance just isn't right.

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

A: Almost 4 fingers of head. Great etching lacing. Tons of yeast floating with the carbonation. I have never seen so much yeast in a DIPA.

S: Kind of a muted nose on this. Smells like a mix of fresh hops and hop pellets if that somehow makes sense.

T: Very sweet with almost no hop bite. Something is off I think in this bottle. Finishes with a nice hop bitterness.

M: There is so much yeast in this bottle it affects the moutfeel in a negative fashion. I am the king of yeast so that says alot.

D: Probably a bad bottle. I will have to revisit this in the future. Not good at all.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

2.55/5  rDev -36.6%

22 oz bottle.

Appearance: Clear orange, white foamy head. Good head retetion and really nice lacing.

Smell: As with other Moylans beers I've had, this one has a strong vegetal aroma that is unpleasant. I'm not sure if this is related to one of their hops, or some problem with their boil, but it aint good. Herbal and citrus hops and some caramel malt are detected amidst the mess.

Taste: Quite a bitter hop load. Again herbal and citrus. The nasty vegetable smell becomes a nasty taste as well. Sweetish caramel and spicy munich malt. Bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fine, mouthfeel is slightly sticky with a nice resiny feel.

Drinkability: I dont like vegetables in my IPA.

2.58/5  rDev -35.8%

Appearance: Don't know what it was about this beer, but even with a controlled pour, I got about 3 inches of head (long lasting, slightly off white). Cloudy-pale amber body.

Aroma: Slight citrus hoppiness, couple with some earthy and piney character, but not much enough for a DIPA. Very mild malt character.

Taste: Some bubble gum character coming through. Hop flavor is present, but subdued. I'm thinking the brew may be a little old as the flavors have died down. The beer doesn't have the malt character to overcome the subdued hoppiness either. Unpleasant aftertaste also present in the brew.

Mouthfeel: Brew seems a bit watery...balance isn't there, and seems overcarbonated.

Drinkability: Not bad enough to dump, but I bought two bombers, and I'll probably give the other one away.

Other: I don't know if it was the batch, the bottle, but I was really unimpressed with this brew. I'll probably try it again, just to see if it is consistantly this bad.

2.65/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Popped off the cap and foam flew everywhere. The bottle hadbeen untouched in the beer fridge for a week now. Poured an extremely hazy orange in color. I got about 2 fingers of actual beer in the glass and the rest was foam. Even after letting it sit for 45 minutes the glass was mostly still foam.

Nose is chock full o' hop and floral aromas. Just overpowering the nasal cavities and a bit too much. Flavor was the same. I can hardly taste any malts through the sour and bitter hops. Sourness is just too much.

Except for the extreme head on the top, the actual beer was absolutely flat. The hop oils with the accompanying sourness just lacquers the teeth, cheeks, gums and tongue. Just a turn-off.

I scored this beer so poorly because the sourness of the flavor made me pucker up all the time and the time I had to wait to drink actual beer made it rather inconvenient.

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

Was bought for me in at Warren Tavern, Cleveland.

Looks like molasses in the glass. Generous dose of hops and malt in the nose. Tastes strongly of molasses and hops, a mix that just doesn't work. Heavy, heavy molasses, almost burnt. Lots of flavor, but nothing balances well in this brew. Far too sticky, even for the style.

This is a poor IIPA.

2.78/5  rDev -30.8%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter - Fridge Temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy golden orange color with lots of suspended sediment. The head rises about 1" and has an ivory color. A slight bit of retention and a bit of lace.

Smell: Earthy, resinous hops. Very sweet pale malt backbone. This aroma is indicative of hop pellets and not flower petals. It just doesn't smell fresh enough.

Taste: Bitter flavor of hops is rough, earthy and vegetal. There is kind of a celery flavor to the beer. Sweet underlying pale malt. Not very good , IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, resinous and boozy in the finish. Medium to heavy body and some active carbonation. Lingering bitterness.

Drinkability: This isn't a very good DIPA. People might confuse the powerful flavors as attractive, but they are off and kind of stale. Not a very impressive beer. Decent at best.

2.83/5  rDev -29.6%

Looked good pouring out of the bottle. Nice orange-amber glow, with a fair amount of sediment and a rediculous amount of thick, foamy head that just did not want to subside.

Smell was promising, with good floral notes and a slight backbone of malt.

Taste was somewhat odd. Beer had a pretty good hop note, nicely blended and all, but there was a very strong and noticable back-note of malt. The malt note, a nutty, almost burnt-caramel, domminated the tasteing session instead of the hops -- not what I'm looking for in a big IPA.

Mouthfeel was around par for the course, but drinkability suffered from the aforementioned strong, and out-of-place, malt note.

2.83/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours a very hazy tangerine with yellow highlights. Nice puffy head with good retention and thick sticky lacing. Could be mistaken for a saison at first glance.

The smell is not as potent as I expected. What is there is a sweet resiny mix of pine and caramel. I smell the same "unknown to me," trademark variety of hops that I pick up in just about every Moylans brew I smell.

Thick piney hops kick this one off. Fairly overpowering, not to the point of Hopsickle, but ferocious none the less. Stinging pine needle flavors reminiscent of Tanquery. The malt backbone is weak, the sweet, toasty goodness that I know is in there, never gets a chance to shine. This tastes like a Moylans brew if you know what I mean.

Mouthfeel is much lighter than I expected, the heavy carbonation pulls this one away from being syrupy and helps lighten the flavors.

It's good and the alcohol is hidden very well. The problem is that you can have DIPA's that are insanely hoppy, and still have somewhat of a balance there. This is very unbalanced and way too one dimensional to fit into the rotation. It was an alright first and last date Moylander.

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

A: Pours a cloudy / opaque copper color with plenty of head even with a steady pour. Leaves plenty of lacing as the head slowly dissipates. Plenty of unfiltered goodies to be found settling as it warms.

S: Mostly contains piny hops with an earthy undertone. Can just barely pick up a touch of sweetness mixed with the alcohol. Even with all this going on at once it appears to have quite a malt bill as well.

T: This one tastes much stronger than the nose lead on. For a very brief moment at the beginning you get the malt and touch of sweetness. Possibly caramel or maple syrup? Immediately after the initial taste you dive straight into a strong pine and floral bitterness. This one starts relatively dry and keeps going from there. Very bitter finish that keeps you reaching for more.

M: Medium bodied with a thick mouth feel. Possibly a bit over carbonated but not by much. Very resiny and clingy.

O: While I've only recently gotten into DIPA's I have had the chance to enjoy quite a number of them. However, this one was just to bitter. I tend to lean towards the sweeter side and this one was just not there. The price was higher than it's competition as well. This one just isn't for me.

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

A-almost a yellow orange color with white lacing
S-very malty. Wtf moylan's. Bottle date. This is definetly old. Almost no hop presence what so ever
T-slight hop presence in after taste. Other than that it is just faded hops and malt
M-medium bodied and smooth
D-ok. Not that I really want to drink it.

Really excited for this beer and really let down by moylan's... bottle date!

On tap. Pours a nice clear dark gold with a substantial off-white foam cap. Good lacing. Heavy C-hops on the nose, with both fruity and resinous notes. Smells quite bitter with little else. Tastes heavily hopped; grapefruit and pine, with an extreme overall bitterness. Lingering sweetness in the background that doesn't really balance it, just adds a level of disjointedness. Medium body. Not incredibly enticing; a half-pint is more than enough.

reviewed from notes. 05/14/08

This beer poured a cloudy orange body with white head.

Nose is malty and fruity with a big resin and citrus hop smell, but the malt is also extremely dominate and never lets the hops completely overshadow it. There's a slight vegetable smell as well. The smell just keeps teetering back and forth between DIPA and barleywine.

Taste is full bodied with an instant attack of rotting grapefruit peel hop. As if someone shoved a cotton-ball coated with the white stuff growing on a citrus fruit right into your throat. It's completely overpowering to the point you're almost choking. Hops, hops, hops and too much hops. Strong intense resin, citrus, rotting citrus, dry dirty dusty hops, pine, pepper. In the initial taste there are some strong caramel or at least malt tastes that give it some backbone, but as it makes it's way to the back of your mouth it's just completely overpowering with hops. Big and bitter, and finishes with a long lingering hop taste.

I'm all about double IPA's, but this one goes to far. I might as well say "fuck it" to the beer and just suck on some dry hop leaves, the taste would be about the same. Every sip starts off nice with some malt, but then this dry hop taste, as if you're seriously almost choking on hops comes on until the finish. You need to chase every sip of this beer with a sip of water in order to counteract it. This is definitely not a beer I'll be buying again.

Moylander Double IPA from Moylan's Brewery