1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scotch AleKilt Lifter Scotch Ale

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-07-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 604 | Reviews: 379 | Show All Ratings:
bradybeer

4.83/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours a dark copper color and small head. Carbonation is low. I don't get much hop or malt aroma. Taste is sweet, malty, and rich. Hop profile is low, really get them in the finish. Mouth feel is a little on the wee heavy side-rich and thick. Drinkability is high for a 8%.

03-31-2008 21:54:10 | More by bradybeer
kaboose72

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

found this beer at my local beer store that was offering it at a tasting. After a small sample I was hooked. Bought every bottle they had. it is smooth, buttery, not too hoppy and just enough ABV to make the evening that much nicer. the 22 oz bottle makes its a definite double thought before drinking, but once you pop the top, it is so simple to finish.

03-18-2008 00:47:44 | More by kaboose72
efhart

New Mexico

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

This Scotch Ale has great taste, perhaps amazing taste is a better description. The malts are incredible. The color is as good as it get's beautiful. The head as poured from the bottle is somewhat small and the beer is not thick, but ample. I could drink this every night. One of my better all time beers.

03-24-2009 02:42:18 | More by efhart
Greenfloyd

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%

I loved this beer so much, I homebrewed a Scotch Ale shortly after....

The appearance of this beer is a nice light amber with an ivory head that lasts for a minute or so. Smelt of heavy malt, slight honey and biscuit. The taste was again, heavy with sweet malt,extremely low hoppiness (indicative of any good Scotch Ale), and low smokey tones. Mouthfeel was medium to medium heavy. This is definetly a "big" beer. I could easily drink this over, and over, and over...

Goes fantastic with bacon wrapped scallops....Enjoy

12-10-2006 04:34:08 | More by Greenfloyd
1759Girl

4.63/5  rDev +24.8%

A highland fling to celebrate the removal of various crutches and walking splints that have accompanied me for the last six weeks... Yes, it's a bit of a cheat to review something I already know I like, but I was so sad to discover that I've never reviewed this before!

Appearance> Red, gorgeous creamy head. Not terribly lively but good. If you have had a good wee heavy.. you know what I'm talking about.

Smell> Toasty. So good. Sweet. S'mores.

Taste> Sweet, strong, tangy, malty, alcoholic... like any good Scot... I jest! Really, it's great. Beauty of a hang. My co-celebrators were also quite impressed as this was their first venture into the land of scotch ales.

Mouf> good. decent

Drinkability> great!

05-10-2010 04:23:53 | More by 1759Girl
BeerRun13

4.6/5  rDev +24%

Pours a reddish, rusty brown color with an okay off-white to tan head. It left a little lacing.
Malty caramel and butter aromas waft up and smell like candy.
Wow! This beer is stellar. Caramel and butterscotch with some hint of fruit. Just the right hop flavor and bitterness keep everything in check. The hops do seem to fade a little as the beer warms, but it is still very tasty.
Medium to full bodied. This beers flavor dances throughout the palate. Very good.
Moylans Kilt Lifter is very drinkable, but I imagine that the 8.00% ABV would catch up with you after a while. This might be one of my favorite beers. I've got to try some more Wee Heavys to see how they are... Off to Scottland.

04-27-2006 21:52:51 | More by BeerRun13
SFBeerGuy

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a pint glass

A- Crystal clear deep amber/red. 1/2" tan/off white creamy looking head fell leaving behind no lace. Looks heavy.

S- Muted peated smokiness coupled with sweet caramel and toffee.

T- Mild alcohol flavor shows up right away complementing an amazing smoky chocolate malt flavor. (who knew you could smoke chocolate?) Noticeable hop spice delivering a bite and cutting through thick caramel malt. Very mild toasted malt throughout.

M- Tingling alcohol mixed with full bodied smoky malt and mild hop spice dance in the mouth. Carbonation is mild and complements the style appropriately. Once again, full bodied and heavy.

D- I absolutely love this beer but I find it hard to finish more than one. I suppose it might not deserve a deduction due to this but no beer is perfect so...4.0. Such a great beer as it warms and its subtlties shine through. Great American rendition of this style. A must try beer from a great brewery!

06-01-2009 03:43:19 | More by SFBeerGuy
megahurts4

Louisiana

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch-style Ale is the first Moylan I've had. I have just finished drinking it and must say that it is something you could drink all day. It is extremely smooth. It has that perfect balance of flavor to drink-ability. It reminds me of the Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast drink-ability and smoothness. This was brewed in Novato, CA and is 8.0% alcohol by volume.

It does remind me of scotch, but without the harshness down the hatch. It also reminds me of a Belgian Ale. I recommend trying this.

Temperature:
About 55 degrees in the pint glass.

Appearance:
Dark Brown with a bit of cloudy-ness. Large head from the initial pour subsides to a lacing.

Aroma:
Smells very similar to most Belgian Abby and Trappist Ales.

Mouthfeel:
Extremely smooth and flavorful. Not watery at all.

Flavor:
Scotch-like hops with a similarity to Belgian Abby and Trappist Ales. The perfect balance without being overbearing.

Overall:
It truly is outstanding. I wish I had another!

10-08-2010 04:55:41 | More by megahurts4
BeerManDan

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

It poured a hazy reddish copper, then became clear with hardly any foam. The smell was of a sweet fruity nature, with a hint of malts. The taste was sweet creamy malt with fruit and had a sort of a nutty flavor. This is the best scotch ale that I have tasted so far. I will buy this ale again, soon.

01-13-2003 13:32:09 | More by BeerManDan
srobertson59

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber: (picked up at Jungle Jim's)

A - Poured gently into a 22 oz. glass with very little head. Dark chestnut with deep red hues. Large bubbles slowly rise from the bottom of the glass, but there are few making it look like a string of pearls. Very appealing appearance!

S - Malt, Malt, and more Malt! Has a brown sugar/maple hint in the nose. A bit of earthiness creeps in later...perhaps a light pine from the hops.

T - Nicely balanced caramel malt with just a tad of sweetness. Somewhat dry in the aftertaste, but not too dry. Just enough hop to balance out the malt without going bitter at all.

M - Thinner than I was expecting, but not a letdown as it is smooth as silk. Carbonation helps wake the tongue up without jarring it awake.

D - Smooth going down. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all. Taste changes to mostly malt as it warms. I had to chill it down about 35 minutes into the glass as it picked up a twang in the taste that was unappealing to me.

My first Scotch Ale...and this one's a winner. Nothing to dislike about this brew. I could imagine this one going down quite well with a nicely grilled and seared steak dinner! (Perhaps next time...and there will definitely be a next time!)

02-17-2008 00:52:48 | More by srobertson59
SFRider

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Cloudy. Deep Amber. Some, not much head.
Smell: Nutty and sweet. Little honey.
Taste: Mmmm...think of a caramel apple when you drink this. Hints of sweet hops and malt.
Drinkability: Oh yeah - I'll definitely drink this beer again. Mild-light carbonation, but perfect for this beer.

About two weeks before I started writing reviews, I had a Kilt Lifter for the second time. Couldn't stop talking about it for at least a week. Just blew me away. When I decided to start writing reviews - this was one of the first I got. After every sip, I couldn't wait for the next. Try to take your time, as you should with beers like this - but it's tough. I wouldn't say the flavors are complex, but very distinct. Think of a caramel apple - and you'll taste one in this beer. But I wouldn't say this was a sweet beer at all. Light on the hops, and definitely not bitter. Oddly enough, by the end - as the last few drops had warmed up - it maintained that original flavor. I love this beer - maybe you will too...

10-08-2008 19:41:54 | More by SFRider
JISurfer

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

Lives up to it's name. I had my kilt on, and boy did it lift! But seriously, it's a good strong scotch ale. Red in color with a brown/light red head which was about 1/4 inch thick. Clean, refreshing taste of nuts/fruit. No after taste of alcohol at all and goes down smooth. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

12-29-2002 17:23:43 | More by JISurfer
Tolann

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

A - Reddish copper and slightly hazy. Head didn't last long.

S - It's got that earthy/mossy funk to it that these beers are supposed to have. Love it. Malty, tho not overly sweet.

T - Earthy again. Very good. Big 'Scottish' characteristic. lil more sweet than what the nose lets on. Seems it's hard to find good Scotch Ales. This might be one to keep around. I like this style.

M - Easy drinking. Light/medium mouth feel. Not overly carbonated.

D - I know what I'll be picking up next time I'm looking for a wee heavy. This is really nice and highly recommended. Hope the beer I have in fermenter is half as good!

08-14-2008 04:59:10 | More by Tolann
steelcutoats

Kilt Lifter review

This is the second review of a Scottish Style Ale tonight. I had a smaller 12 oz. bottle last week and enjoyed it so much that I decided to go back and spring for the larger 22 oz. bottle. I poured it into my crystal tasting snifter and prepared to enjoy. The heard was rich, creamy and opaque. It quickly dissolved, but a fine ring of bubbles remained around the rim of the glass. The aroma was heavenly, a sweet mix of roasted malts and caramel, with a hint of alcohol. The color of the beer was a deep amber/ruby. There was also a good bit of lacing on the inside of the glass. The taste was very smooth, rich and complex. You can definitely taste the roasted malts, with a moderate amount of hopes in the background. This beer is a bit on the dry side, but not overly boozy with a good body. It is definitely the best Scottish Ale I've tasted as of yet...I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try a top notch Scottish Ale.

09-06-2008 01:28:40 | More by steelcutoats
dudecandle

On cask at Rattle N Hum's Anniversary Cask Ale Fest in NYC:

A: Amber body with a good, thick one-finger head. It discreetly hid the flavor explosion that I was about to experience.

S: Nutty with coffee, a touch of hops.

T: Coffee up front, great chocolate complement, and on the back end of the palate came a huge dose of nuttiness. Some wonderful hoppy, though slightly boozy fruitiness rounds out the remarkably intense flavor.

M/D: This is plenty full-bodied, with a huge finish. There are three distinct, wonderful levels here. It seems like it's going to end, and then, bam, another flavor.
The Kilt Lifter is very aggressive, like most good Scotch Ales, but it all combines to create an amazing whackadoo ale.

Serving type: cask

12-04-2009 05:56:46 | More by dudecandle
StevieW

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at the brewpub...First in it's style I have had. Pours a deep dark amber, almost brown with a thin bubbly light tan head. Smelled alot of roasted malt, earthy undertones, very deep rich nose. A slipperly thin taste dominated by the malt, alcohol, and some faint hops to remind you it's Moylans. Also detected some faint fruitlike, plums, berries in the finish. Very complex. This brew intriqued me enought to carry a bottle home. Reminded me of their barley wine, but not as thin and slippery. A very good beer, looking forward to the bottle.

06-07-2002 16:54:44 | More by StevieW
KickInTheChalice

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Kilt Lifter comes out of the bottle in a dark amber color, with a ferocious off-white head. Actually not much retention though, and just a bit of lacing down my pint glass.

Smell: Lots of dark, roasty, chewy caramel malt combined with some great oak and earthy notes.

Taste: The flavor of this beer is big enough to really keep my interest but not cloyingly sweet. Great malt profile, with some complex spices and oakiness. Figs and dates start to emerge as it warms up a little bit. Just a bit of earthy hops toward the end help to round out the flavor nicely. The finish is malty and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, maybe just a touch heavy on the carbonation for my taste. Leaves my lips feeling a bit sticky.

Drinkability: There is no two ways about it - this is just a great value. I ordered this out to try something new without knowing anything about it, and I was quite satisfied with how that decision worked out. Full bodied, smooth, and quite drinakble, I may have to pursue some Scottish Ales and Scotch Ale/ Wee Heavy's to really explore this style.

12-10-2010 17:59:03 | More by KickInTheChalice
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz. bomber.

A: Brownish amber, slight red tint. Mildly hazy with a decent light tan head and moderate lacing.

S: Bready, malty sweetness with an undertone of floral hops.

T&M: Nice mouthfeel. Almost full-bodied. Nice mix of flavors, caramel, floral and piney hops with a smooth malty texture. Well-balanced with a great flavor.

Excellent for a scotch ale. I'm not a big fan of the style, but would definitely have another one of these in the future.

02-12-2011 00:38:00 | More by cdizinno
DoubleJ

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was looking around O'Shea's in Laguna Niguel for some beers before last night's Meet N Greet, and to my surprise found this in a smaller 12 ounce bottle. This particular bottle was contract brewed by Sudwerk. On to the beer:

Into a snifter it goes, the head is fizzy on top this ruby red beauty. Reddish hues glow. Good color. The aroma is sweet. Very malty, lots of caramel and sweet bread upfront. In the back are bits of raisin. To drink....smooth, not heavy...I dig the feel here. The taste is quite complex: vanilla, bourbon barrels, caramel, tobacco, hints of peat. Goes down easy like most scotch ales I've had. Come to think of it, it's right there with many of the good imports I've had.

This is one beer that will...ahem...lift your kilt. Plenty of malty goodness with an array of flavors to taste. I continue to be impressed by Moylan's brews.

11-03-2008 06:17:00 | More by DoubleJ
glid02

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy brownish-copper color with a thin white head. The head quickly recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing.

Smells of smooth caramel and chocolate malts with large amounts of butterscotch and toffee and milder amounts of vanilla. The nose is this is akin to a beer involved with barrels.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Crisp caramel malt flavors with hints of toastiness kick things off. Mild amounts of butterscotch flavors come into play midway through the sip and sticky malt flavors carry through to a mildly sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's a bit on the thin side for the style with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was a very good beer that was just a few flaws away from being great. Very good flavors and aromas however I would like it to be just a bit more robust in mouthfeel. Still, one of the best I've had from the style and well worth a shot.

03-11-2010 22:08:12 | More by glid02
mzwolinski

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Ah, sometimes you find surprises in the most unexpected places! I hadn’t heard of this brewery before, but saw this beer on a recent trip to California and picked up. Typical Scottish ales don’t impress me much, but this was a *strong* one, and it pulled off its strength very well. Deep amber in color, with a huge, billowing light tan head. Aroma is dominated by sweet malt, combined with (surprisingly) an almost banana-like fruitiness. Flavor starts of with big toasty malt. An apple-like fruitiness becomes apparent mid-palate (with still more traces of that surprising banana), though only after one’s mouth has had time to become accustomed to the peaty malt. Alcohol lends a robust spiciness to the finish – a bit too present at first, though once it’s worked its magic on you, funny, you don’t seem to care much anymore. Significant hop flavor and bitterness to the finish, with a long lasting, nutty aftertaste. Yummmm.

09-01-2003 17:44:47 | More by mzwolinski
DavidEddie

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance - Rusty amber with a khaki head that falls to some sticky lacing.

Smell - Strong sweet malt, light smoke, and mellow earthy hops.

Taste - Chocolate, carmel, biscuits, tons of roasty malt, and a hint of smoke. Just the right amount of sweetness lingers. Some bitter hops were detected, but not very much.

Mouth feel - Medium bodied and somewhat rich. Fair amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy and enjoyable. Did not detect the ABV whatsoever. Will seek this one out again.

CHEERS!

01-12-2008 05:29:04 | More by DavidEddie
tonistruth

Nevada

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

A- mahogany to garnet in color, 1 finger off white head, little retent and little lacing

S- caramel, burnt sugars, dark fruits, malty

T- dark fruits, caramelized malts, molasses, unfermented sugars, roasted malts, chocolate

M- medium body, coats palate, somewhat viscous

D- awesome scotch, great on cask, warms well

09-05-2007 18:30:08 | More by tonistruth
renolayton

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

I don't drink a whole lot of Scotch Ales, but I was pleased with this guy.

Simple, but good taste and smell. Great appearance and mouthfeel.

It was an incredibly smooth brew, which made it exceptionally drinkable.

Overall, a very tasty Scotch Ale worthy of the 50,000 award seals they splattered all over their label.

02-17-2011 06:20:21 | More by renolayton
nbree00

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

I found that this beer single handedly reaffirmed my love affair with scotch ales. The color is nice, a deep brown with some orange hues to it. The hops really come through in the smell layered on top of the roasted/caramelized barely. I found this to be a very hoppy bitter beer, which I absolutely love. The caramel and biscuit notes really help to balance the flavors with the high ABV and hoppiness. Fantastic!

01-12-2008 23:39:14 | More by nbree00