Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scotch AleKilt Lifter Scotch Ale

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-07-2002)

ATXRyan, Nov 17, 2011

Gilly1980, Mar 01, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Pours a dark copper color and small head. Carbonation is low. I don't get much hop or malt aroma. Taste is sweet, malty, and rich. Hop profile is low, really get them in the finish. Mouth feel is a little on the wee heavy side-rich and thick. Drinkability is high for a 8%.

bradybeer, Mar 31, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +29.2%

found this beer at my local beer store that was offering it at a tasting. After a small sample I was hooked. Bought every bottle they had. it is smooth, buttery, not too hoppy and just enough ABV to make the evening that much nicer. the 22 oz bottle makes its a definite double thought before drinking, but once you pop the top, it is so simple to finish.

kaboose72, Mar 18, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

CWhite, Jan 12, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Mikeb8, Apr 03, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +27%

This Scotch Ale has great taste, perhaps amazing taste is a better description. The malts are incredible. The color is as good as it get's beautiful. The head as poured from the bottle is somewhat small and the beer is not thick, but ample. I could drink this every night. One of my better all time beers.

efhart, Mar 24, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +25.7%

I loved this beer so much, I homebrewed a Scotch Ale shortly after....

The appearance of this beer is a nice light amber with an ivory head that lasts for a minute or so. Smelt of heavy malt, slight honey and biscuit. The taste was again, heavy with sweet malt,extremely low hoppiness (indicative of any good Scotch Ale), and low smokey tones. Mouthfeel was medium to medium heavy. This is definetly a "big" beer. I could easily drink this over, and over, and over...

Goes fantastic with bacon wrapped scallops....Enjoy

Greenfloyd, Dec 10, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +25.1%

A highland fling to celebrate the removal of various crutches and walking splints that have accompanied me for the last six weeks... Yes, it's a bit of a cheat to review something I already know I like, but I was so sad to discover that I've never reviewed this before!

Appearance> Red, gorgeous creamy head. Not terribly lively but good. If you have had a good wee heavy.. you know what I'm talking about.

Smell> Toasty. So good. Sweet. S'mores.

Taste> Sweet, strong, tangy, malty, alcoholic... like any good Scot... I jest! Really, it's great. Beauty of a hang. My co-celebrators were also quite impressed as this was their first venture into the land of scotch ales.

Mouf> good. decent

Drinkability> great!

1759Girl, May 10, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a reddish, rusty brown color with an okay off-white to tan head. It left a little lacing.
Malty caramel and butter aromas waft up and smell like candy.
Wow! This beer is stellar. Caramel and butterscotch with some hint of fruit. Just the right hop flavor and bitterness keep everything in check. The hops do seem to fade a little as the beer warms, but it is still very tasty.
Medium to full bodied. This beers flavor dances throughout the palate. Very good.
Moylans Kilt Lifter is very drinkable, but I imagine that the 8.00% ABV would catch up with you after a while. This might be one of my favorite beers. I've got to try some more Wee Heavys to see how they are... Off to Scottland.

BeerRun13, Apr 27, 2006

hellraisinT1000, Jul 26, 2012

cornucopia, Jan 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch-style Ale is the first Moylan I've had. I have just finished drinking it and must say that it is something you could drink all day. It is extremely smooth. It has that perfect balance of flavor to drink-ability. It reminds me of the Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast drink-ability and smoothness. This was brewed in Novato, CA and is 8.0% alcohol by volume.

It does remind me of scotch, but without the harshness down the hatch. It also reminds me of a Belgian Ale. I recommend trying this.

Temperature:
About 55 degrees in the pint glass.

Appearance:
Dark Brown with a bit of cloudy-ness. Large head from the initial pour subsides to a lacing.

Aroma:
Smells very similar to most Belgian Abby and Trappist Ales.

Mouthfeel:
Extremely smooth and flavorful. Not watery at all.

Flavor:
Scotch-like hops with a similarity to Belgian Abby and Trappist Ales. The perfect balance without being overbearing.

Overall:
It truly is outstanding. I wish I had another!

megahurts4, Oct 08, 2010

Gtotango, Nov 06, 2012

Poured from a 220z bomber into a pint glass

A- Crystal clear deep amber/red. 1/2" tan/off white creamy looking head fell leaving behind no lace. Looks heavy.

S- Muted peated smokiness coupled with sweet caramel and toffee.

T- Mild alcohol flavor shows up right away complementing an amazing smoky chocolate malt flavor. (who knew you could smoke chocolate?) Noticeable hop spice delivering a bite and cutting through thick caramel malt. Very mild toasted malt throughout.

M- Tingling alcohol mixed with full bodied smoky malt and mild hop spice dance in the mouth. Carbonation is mild and complements the style appropriately. Once again, full bodied and heavy.

D- I absolutely love this beer but I find it hard to finish more than one. I suppose it might not deserve a deduction due to this but no beer is perfect so...4.0. Such a great beer as it warms and its subtlties shine through. Great American rendition of this style. A must try beer from a great brewery!

SFBeerGuy, Jun 01, 2009

rhdsuby, Jan 06, 2012

Rocketman8911, Mar 05, 2012

dbarny76, Mar 14, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

It poured a hazy reddish copper, then became clear with hardly any foam. The smell was of a sweet fruity nature, with a hint of malts. The taste was sweet creamy malt with fruit and had a sort of a nutty flavor. This is the best scotch ale that I have tasted so far. I will buy this ale again, soon.

BeerManDan, Jan 13, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber: (picked up at Jungle Jim's)

A - Poured gently into a 22 oz. glass with very little head. Dark chestnut with deep red hues. Large bubbles slowly rise from the bottom of the glass, but there are few making it look like a string of pearls. Very appealing appearance!

S - Malt, Malt, and more Malt! Has a brown sugar/maple hint in the nose. A bit of earthiness creeps in later...perhaps a light pine from the hops.

T - Nicely balanced caramel malt with just a tad of sweetness. Somewhat dry in the aftertaste, but not too dry. Just enough hop to balance out the malt without going bitter at all.

M - Thinner than I was expecting, but not a letdown as it is smooth as silk. Carbonation helps wake the tongue up without jarring it awake.

D - Smooth going down. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all. Taste changes to mostly malt as it warms. I had to chill it down about 35 minutes into the glass as it picked up a twang in the taste that was unappealing to me.

My first Scotch Ale...and this one's a winner. Nothing to dislike about this brew. I could imagine this one going down quite well with a nicely grilled and seared steak dinner! (Perhaps next time...and there will definitely be a next time!)

srobertson59, Feb 17, 2008