Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scotch AleKilt Lifter Scotch Ale

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-07-2002)
donaldchapman

Colorado

1.45/5  rDev -60.9%

A - Good color and head
S - Reeks of DMS (Cooked cabbage, celery)
T - cabbage and celery DMS carry over into the flavor completely masking any possible malt flavors.
M - Good mouth feel and pull.

I don't know if this was a bad bottle or what, but what a disappointment. The smell of cabbage and celery just dominated the aroma from the moment I opened it, had to end up dumping the remainder down the drain.

09-16-2008 18:25:20 | More by donaldchapman
HeatherBory

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

02-26-2014 16:44:55 | More by HeatherBory
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.78/5  rDev -52%

Bottle. Yipes, super sweet and sticky. Kahlua, peat, with a hit of soy. Malty and very sweet. The flavour was one dimentionally sweet. Perhaps scotch ales aren't my favourite style, but i didn't like this one in particular. Moylans made some other styles which i preffered much more.

02-02-2005 20:37:33 | More by rastaman
evilhorse

1.78/5  rDev -52%

Nose is somewhat metalic. Sort of a murky brown color. Initial taste somewhat tart. Fairly thin for an 8% beer. No rich malt character as promised. Hops seem to be right for the style. I'm detecting a lactobacillus infection. Kind of a tart raisiny finish. Not very enjoyable. I'm guessing I got a bad bottle

01-18-2013 04:16:59 | More by evilhorse
rapidsequence

1.83/5  rDev -50.7%

22 oz bottle.

Appearance: Looks nice. Bright ruby, perfect clarity. Nice head, nice lacing.

Smell: At first I described it to myself as malty and earthy. As I went along I began to think of it as dirt. Smells like dirt. Not really oaky or peaty, just dirt. I long for malty sweetness, but its all dirt.

Taste: Dirt. Not sweet. Not tasty.

Mouthfeel: Its not bad. A little thin for a wee heavy. At least there's no chunks of the dirt I taste.

Drinkability: I poured it out. Thats a rarity.

02-13-2010 02:02:43 | More by rapidsequence
Brewsephus

1.93/5  rDev -48%

Served in pint out of a 22oz bottle.

I had previously had this beer at a bar while on vacation. I remember it being very smoky, complex and woody. The bold malt characteristic and the finish of the Wee Heavy bite at the back.

The bottle I tried tonight was anything but an enjoyable beer.

The pour was slightly hazy, head was off white and produced a 2 finger head which quickly dissipated. No lacing left on glass.

I thought when diving into this glass that I would be assaulted by peat malt, caramel, woodyness and a solid balance with intriguing nuance flavors.
It tasted like a poorly made Kriek. cherries, cherries, and more cherries. The malt was almost undetectable. Slight peat and oak, but had to really search for it. I tried to let this beer warm up slightly to allow the malt to break through, still cherries.
I fell in love with the style after having this beer years ago, but it is so far from what I've come to know in Scotch Ales, let alone wee heavys.
I hope it was just a bad batch, sour bottle, etc. it's just sad.

Note: side of bottle said "live ale, keep refrigerated". It was at room temp in the store. I hope my other bottle isn't bad as well.

06-04-2012 01:28:16 | More by Brewsephus
outdoor7or24

Georgia

06-04-2012 10:43:44 | More by outdoor7or24
Offa

2.13/5  rDev -42.6%

This is my least favourite wee heavy so far.

It's slightly hazy, dark red amber with a thin pale orange-tan head that dissipates fast to leave a small foam ring that eventually vanishes as well, leaving no lacing.

The smell is good: sweet, malty with a glazed roasted meaty quality, a little musky with a faint tang.

The first sip is decent, sweetly malty, woody, and a bit musky, but definitely one-dimensionally sweet and thick. It also dramatically worsens after the first sip and a definite, faintly vinegary alcohol note soon takes over, along with meat and gravy. The alcoholic harshness soon dominates, especially with any food. It's one-dimensional, overly alcoholic, and very rough, being mostly sweet, alcoholic, thick, and vinegary.

04-21-2008 18:05:27 | More by Offa
RobinLawrence123

2.2/5  rDev -40.7%

This was very raisiny to me. Almost like a belgian, but with no character. I know that scotch ales are malty, but this was overkill, with no decernable hop balance, which lead to a cloying, overly sweet feel and finish. I could only drink half of the 22oz bomber.

Would not recomend to anyone who loves scotch ale

06-09-2008 16:34:26 | More by RobinLawrence123
gfreed

2.2/5  rDev -40.7%

Y-a-w-n... "thin" and "light" are the two adjectives that best describe this beer. In my book, a good scotch ale will waft forth with malt, teak, a little sting and, frankly, a nice fistful of peas. This has... nothing. Very little aroma beyond yeast; very little taste beyond more yeast. Gets slightly richer as it warms, but also gets w-a-a-a-y too boozy. Pass. For a good American scotch ale, visit Founders.

07-09-2011 02:09:27 | More by gfreed
Pilvi

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

05-23-2013 20:44:11 | More by Pilvi
Phelps

Arizona

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%

Enjoyed during a tasting of Scotch Ales. This beer's called Kilt Lifter everywhere except Arizona, where it's labeled Scotch Ale due to copyright contentions with a certain local brewery.

When I was little, I had a hamster named Roxy. She was a great little hamster, playful and gentle, and the two of us used to hang out for hours, she running around in her little wheel while I told her about my day. But one day, Roxy began to get fat. I wasn't worried at first, thinking she had just gone a little overboard with last night's meal. But she got bigger each day, ballooning to the point at which she could walk on her little hamster legs anymore. They dangled there uselessly like T-rex arms, and she died stuck on her big butt. Poor Roxy.

Anyway, I couldn't stop thinking about Roxy while drinking Moylan's Scotch Ale, mainly because the aroma and flavor had the overriding and undeniable funk of a hamster cage. Sure, it has a nice caramel color and a light khaki head that leaves spotted lace. Sure, there were some enjoyable flavors of caramel, peanuts and raisins. But it was all buried under mounds of smelly hamster wood shavings.

Thank you, Moylan's. Your beer reminded me of my dear departed friend Roxy, but it sure as hell didn't remind me of a drinkable Wee Heavy.

01-19-2011 19:02:18 | More by Phelps
dgilks

Australia

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%

Cloudy, hazy amber colour with a smooth, tan head. Fair head retention.

Somewhat chalky aroma with some cardboard. This isn't that old so the oxidation is a little odd. Distinctly lacking in toffee and caramel. Mild fruit. Not really a Scotch Ale.

Mild malt with a distinct green tea flavour. Mild fruit. Where is the toffee and caramel. This is not a good Scotch Ale whatsoever.

Medium to medium-full body with moderately-low carbonation. Good.

I don't like this beer and it doesn't tick the boxes for style either. Pretty poor really.

03-19-2012 08:48:30 | More by dgilks
Maudite

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

I was really disappointed with this beer. I got it having like Moylan's in the past. This isn't even close to a Scotch ale. Really didn't hold up as a beer, let alone being true to the style...

A- Light brown/slightly copper, very thin and clear. No head poured into my thistle glass, so I poured a bit harder to agitate and try to get one. A very small, thin ring formed and instantly disappeared...

S- Not much of a nose, other than a little biscuity, a low malt sweetness, and a surprising amount of hop presence, uncharacteristic of a scotch...

T- Not at all oaky, alcoholic, sweet... Tasted like an American brown to me, nothing more. I was surprised to see this was 8%, as it was hard to feel in the mouth. As it warmed up (as the bottle said to allow it...), it got a little better, but still far from what I would consider a scotch ale. The malt was slightly more available to the taste buds, and the alcohol showed itself a tad more.

M- Thin, lightly acidic, a strange hop bite towards the finish, again, uncharacteristic of this style.

D- I wouldn't have it again if it were offered, and I surely wouldn't reccommend it.

03-14-2008 00:28:46 | More by Maudite
rangerred

Tennessee

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

Had on nitro.

Pours a clear medium brown with a little head and leaves tons of lacing as the beer is drunk

Aroma is weak as is often the case with nitro beers but there is some licorice and grass along with a touch of smokiness.

The flavor is quite weak as well. Some smoke and char along with a little bit of grass. There is a little nuttiness and a moderate amount of sweetness with just a light bitterness.

Overall, I was quite underwhelmed. Flavor was lacking all-around and it is just a boring beer. Maybe the nitro hurt it but I doubt I will be picking up a bottle anytime soon.

05-06-2013 19:57:57 | More by rangerred

11-08-2013 17:53:59 | More by CMack71968
cbg79

Alabama

2.55/5  rDev -31.3%

This is the second of Moylan's brew I have had and the first scotch ale I have tasted. Not really sure how to rate this one as it is the first "scotch ale" I have had. Sadly I didn't care for it much at all. It has a bland taste which I was not at all impressed with. The smell was very nice, If Moylan's could bottle the smell and make a candle out of it the candle lovers of the world would be astonished. Which for me the taste fell very short. I'm gonna try some other "scotch ales" so i can give a better review, but who knows maybe I'm just not a "scotch ale" fan.

12-18-2010 18:14:38 | More by cbg79
frankiepop

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Looks fairly nice with a medium brown look and a tan foamy. The second noticeable trait is the nice Scotchy ale aroma, but the flavor fell flat for me. This is a bitter beer. Some may love the non sweet beer. Overly carbonated fizzy ass beer burns the house up for the week.

Would go well with the Van Morrison and the Chieftains cd.

10-06-2012 07:34:05 | More by frankiepop
charlzm

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Consumed at Tony's Darts Away, Burbank, CA on December 21st, 2010. Labeled on menu as "barrel-aged" with no information regarding barrel type.

Beer is a rusty caramel with a thin head that barely covers. Mostly clear, a bit hazy.

Aroma is of scotch whiskey and caramel malt. Fairly subdued.

Flavor is somewhat weak, with a dominant smoky wood flavor (probably from a whiskey or bourbon barrel). Sweeter than I would like. The caramel malt and fruity character I normally associate with this beer is there, but watered down or faded. Some bitterness on finish, more woody than hoppy.

Mouthfeel is thin, more watery than expected.

Not a successfully barrel aged beer, in my opinion.

12-25-2010 20:12:25 | More by charlzm
drpimento

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

Got this bottle a few months ago at Sam's in Chicago. Poured with a medium head and no lace. Color is a very hazy amber with brown highlights. Aroma is scotch ale and a little peat. Flavor's about the same but with strong coconut! Therefore, not one of my fav. scotch ales. No apparent alcohol. Body's ok.

09-05-2009 01:01:42 | More by drpimento