Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale - Moylan's Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scotch AleKilt Lifter Scotch Ale

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-07-2002)
1.45/5  rDev -60.9%

A - Good color and head
S - Reeks of DMS (Cooked cabbage, celery)
T - cabbage and celery DMS carry over into the flavor completely masking any possible malt flavors.
M - Good mouth feel and pull.

I don't know if this was a bad bottle or what, but what a disappointment. The smell of cabbage and celery just dominated the aroma from the moment I opened it, had to end up dumping the remainder down the drain.

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

1.78/5  rDev -52%

Bottle. Yipes, super sweet and sticky. Kahlua, peat, with a hit of soy. Malty and very sweet. The flavour was one dimentionally sweet. Perhaps scotch ales aren't my favourite style, but i didn't like this one in particular. Moylans made some other styles which i preffered much more.

1.78/5  rDev -52%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Nose is somewhat metalic. Sort of a murky brown color. Initial taste somewhat tart. Fairly thin for an 8% beer. No rich malt character as promised. Hops seem to be right for the style. I'm detecting a lactobacillus infection. Kind of a tart raisiny finish. Not very enjoyable. I'm guessing I got a bad bottle

1.83/5  rDev -50.7%

22 oz bottle.

Appearance: Looks nice. Bright ruby, perfect clarity. Nice head, nice lacing.

Smell: At first I described it to myself as malty and earthy. As I went along I began to think of it as dirt. Smells like dirt. Not really oaky or peaty, just dirt. I long for malty sweetness, but its all dirt.

Taste: Dirt. Not sweet. Not tasty.

Mouthfeel: Its not bad. A little thin for a wee heavy. At least there's no chunks of the dirt I taste.

Drinkability: I poured it out. Thats a rarity.

1.93/5  rDev -48%

Served in pint out of a 22oz bottle.

I had previously had this beer at a bar while on vacation. I remember it being very smoky, complex and woody. The bold malt characteristic and the finish of the Wee Heavy bite at the back.

The bottle I tried tonight was anything but an enjoyable beer.

The pour was slightly hazy, head was off white and produced a 2 finger head which quickly dissipated. No lacing left on glass.

I thought when diving into this glass that I would be assaulted by peat malt, caramel, woodyness and a solid balance with intriguing nuance flavors.
It tasted like a poorly made Kriek. cherries, cherries, and more cherries. The malt was almost undetectable. Slight peat and oak, but had to really search for it. I tried to let this beer warm up slightly to allow the malt to break through, still cherries.
I fell in love with the style after having this beer years ago, but it is so far from what I've come to know in Scotch Ales, let alone wee heavys.
I hope it was just a bad batch, sour bottle, etc. it's just sad.

Note: side of bottle said "live ale, keep refrigerated". It was at room temp in the store. I hope my other bottle isn't bad as well.

2.13/5  rDev -42.6%

This is my least favourite wee heavy so far.

It's slightly hazy, dark red amber with a thin pale orange-tan head that dissipates fast to leave a small foam ring that eventually vanishes as well, leaving no lacing.

The smell is good: sweet, malty with a glazed roasted meaty quality, a little musky with a faint tang.

The first sip is decent, sweetly malty, woody, and a bit musky, but definitely one-dimensionally sweet and thick. It also dramatically worsens after the first sip and a definite, faintly vinegary alcohol note soon takes over, along with meat and gravy. The alcoholic harshness soon dominates, especially with any food. It's one-dimensional, overly alcoholic, and very rough, being mostly sweet, alcoholic, thick, and vinegary.

2.2/5  rDev -40.7%

This was very raisiny to me. Almost like a belgian, but with no character. I know that scotch ales are malty, but this was overkill, with no decernable hop balance, which lead to a cloying, overly sweet feel and finish. I could only drink half of the 22oz bomber.

Would not recomend to anyone who loves scotch ale

2.2/5  rDev -40.7%

Y-a-w-n... "thin" and "light" are the two adjectives that best describe this beer. In my book, a good scotch ale will waft forth with malt, teak, a little sting and, frankly, a nice fistful of peas. This has... nothing. Very little aroma beyond yeast; very little taste beyond more yeast. Gets slightly richer as it warms, but also gets w-a-a-a-y too boozy. Pass. For a good American scotch ale, visit Founders.

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%

Cloudy, hazy amber colour with a smooth, tan head. Fair head retention.

Somewhat chalky aroma with some cardboard. This isn't that old so the oxidation is a little odd. Distinctly lacking in toffee and caramel. Mild fruit. Not really a Scotch Ale.

Mild malt with a distinct green tea flavour. Mild fruit. Where is the toffee and caramel. This is not a good Scotch Ale whatsoever.

Medium to medium-full body with moderately-low carbonation. Good.

I don't like this beer and it doesn't tick the boxes for style either. Pretty poor really.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

I was really disappointed with this beer. I got it having like Moylan's in the past. This isn't even close to a Scotch ale. Really didn't hold up as a beer, let alone being true to the style...

A- Light brown/slightly copper, very thin and clear. No head poured into my thistle glass, so I poured a bit harder to agitate and try to get one. A very small, thin ring formed and instantly disappeared...

S- Not much of a nose, other than a little biscuity, a low malt sweetness, and a surprising amount of hop presence, uncharacteristic of a scotch...

T- Not at all oaky, alcoholic, sweet... Tasted like an American brown to me, nothing more. I was surprised to see this was 8%, as it was hard to feel in the mouth. As it warmed up (as the bottle said to allow it...), it got a little better, but still far from what I would consider a scotch ale. The malt was slightly more available to the taste buds, and the alcohol showed itself a tad more.

M- Thin, lightly acidic, a strange hop bite towards the finish, again, uncharacteristic of this style.

D- I wouldn't have it again if it were offered, and I surely wouldn't reccommend it.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Had on nitro.

Pours a clear medium brown with a little head and leaves tons of lacing as the beer is drunk

Aroma is weak as is often the case with nitro beers but there is some licorice and grass along with a touch of smokiness.

The flavor is quite weak as well. Some smoke and char along with a little bit of grass. There is a little nuttiness and a moderate amount of sweetness with just a light bitterness.

Overall, I was quite underwhelmed. Flavor was lacking all-around and it is just a boring beer. Maybe the nitro hurt it but I doubt I will be picking up a bottle anytime soon.

2.55/5  rDev -31.3%

This is the second of Moylan's brew I have had and the first scotch ale I have tasted. Not really sure how to rate this one as it is the first "scotch ale" I have had. Sadly I didn't care for it much at all. It has a bland taste which I was not at all impressed with. The smell was very nice, If Moylan's could bottle the smell and make a candle out of it the candle lovers of the world would be astonished. Which for me the taste fell very short. I'm gonna try some other "scotch ales" so i can give a better review, but who knows maybe I'm just not a "scotch ale" fan.

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Looks fairly nice with a medium brown look and a tan foamy. The second noticeable trait is the nice Scotchy ale aroma, but the flavor fell flat for me. This is a bitter beer. Some may love the non sweet beer. Overly carbonated fizzy ass beer burns the house up for the week.

Would go well with the Van Morrison and the Chieftains cd.

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Consumed at Tony's Darts Away, Burbank, CA on December 21st, 2010. Labeled on menu as "barrel-aged" with no information regarding barrel type.

Beer is a rusty caramel with a thin head that barely covers. Mostly clear, a bit hazy.

Aroma is of scotch whiskey and caramel malt. Fairly subdued.

Flavor is somewhat weak, with a dominant smoky wood flavor (probably from a whiskey or bourbon barrel). Sweeter than I would like. The caramel malt and fruity character I normally associate with this beer is there, but watered down or faded. Some bitterness on finish, more woody than hoppy.

Mouthfeel is thin, more watery than expected.

Not a successfully barrel aged beer, in my opinion.

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

Got this bottle a few months ago at Sam's in Chicago. Poured with a medium head and no lace. Color is a very hazy amber with brown highlights. Aroma is scotch ale and a little peat. Flavor's about the same but with strong coconut! Therefore, not one of my fav. scotch ales. No apparent alcohol. Body's ok.

Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale from Moylan's Brewery