Barrel Aged Ryan Sullivan's Imperial Stout - Moylan's Brewery

Barrel Aged Ryan Sullivan's Imperial StoutBarrel Aged Ryan Sullivan's Imperial Stout

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Ryan Sullivan's Imperial Stout racked into a fresh barrel from Heaven Hill.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-24-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by augustgarage:

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

This is the Healthy Spirits Eagle Rare version.

A-looks viscous, but not syrupy. Well carbed.

S-Nice Bourbon smell with chocolate.

T-Here is where this beer fails a little. It is very boozy. The chocolate notes are nice, but it tastes like someone poured a shot into it. I hope some time heals this. A real chore to drink at the moment for me at least.

I have to give props to Healthy Spirits for making this happen and it is a good attempt. If it mellows with age it will be a really great beer, just too hot now. Can't wait to try some others during sf beer week.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Healthy Spirits 2011 Release.

A- Pours a deep, dark black with a small brown head that recedes quickly. Some visible alcohol and lacing on the glass.

S- Plenty of bourbon here. Some roastiness and a bit of chocolate. Smells a little hot.

T- Yep, this is barrel aged. Bourbon all over. Vanilla and oak. Roasty finish. I can definitely taste the alcohol, there's lingering heat on the palate.

M- Nice and thick, coats the mouth. Appropriate carbonation.

O- This beer needs some time to mellow out. A little too much bourbon for me, not enough complexity. I'll hang on to my other bottles for a bit. Stoked that Healthy Spirits is doing this series, looking forward to their other offerings.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.48/5  rDev -7%

On-tap at the Stuffed Sandwich

A: The pour is nearly black with a very thin tan head and a decent viscosity to it.

S: Not an all that impressive nose on this one. Certainly some oak and whiskey notes, along with chocolate and a hint of vanilla.

T: A much more intense flavor than the nose would suggest, thankfully. This beer is very heavy on the whiskey component along with a decent bit of vanilla. There is just a ton of chocolate in here as well, which is nice for a time, but can become a bit too much sweetness.

M: The body is medium with a low, smooth carbonation to it.

D: A bit too much milk chocolate flavor for my tastes and not nearly enough balance. That said, this is miles better than the regular version of this beer.

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz waxed bomber. Healthy Spirits Eagle Rare Version 2011. Served in a tulip.

Poured vigorously and got a two finger mocha colored head on top of a completely opaque dark brown brew. Head settles to a very creamy film and thick ring. Bits of thick lacing.

Very strong aroma. Powdery milk chocolate dominates, with a good bit of bourbon behind that. Tons of woody oak keep things dry. Some booze.

Flavor hits with an initial sweetness that fades into a drier bourbon bite. Chocolate malt is there but is kind of overwhelmed by an astringent bitter alcohol/barrel flavor. Finish is a little better with a roasted malt and smokey whisky bitterness. Alcohol flavor is too present through the middle and finish.

Body is medium-ish full, but feels a little thin for this style. The carbonation is interesting as it has a sharp soda water quality and feels a little disconnected from the beer.

If the middle didn't drop out of the flavor and the soda-water feel was better, I would rate this beer higher. That said, I think it's very cool that Healthy Spirits is creating these types of single barrel beers. Looking forward to trying the rest!

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Healthy Spirits Eagle Rare Barrel Aged Version

A: Pours jet black, with a quickly dissolving half- inch head on it. It leaves a nice ring along the side of my Sierra Nevada balloon snifter.

S: Sweet Bourbon, slight maple, sweet espresso, and some light dark chocolate and coffee notes

T: Spicy Bourbon, tobacco, dark coffee, unsweetened cocoa, and and some oakiness from the barrel.

M: A rich, full bodied beer. It has a light carbonation that allows the flavor to pop on the taste buds.

O: This definitely shows the characteristics of the barrel, and the bourbon itself. The difference that coming from a single bourbon barrel makes is huge, because it allow not only the bourbon to come through, but the characteristics of the barrel. The base stout definitely brings a lot of tobacco, leather, and unsweetened cocoa to the aging, which then allows for the barrel add the sweetness from the Eagle Rare and the barrel. I definitely enjoyed this beer, and I would to see what more single barrel treatments will do with other styles of beer; maybe a barleywine, porter, or a strong ale of some sorts.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

I was a bit disappointed after getting hold of this barrel aged imperial stout. It was suggested as a very limited edition beer by my local distributor and they had a sixtel with my name on it, so, I took the plunge. One of the pricier sixtels I have had, in fact, just a few bucks less than a sixtel of Chimay, which is one of my favorite beers (though have not had it, yet, on draft at my home). Anyhow, Back to this beer review...

It was a rich, dark pour that had a beautiful, long lasting thick head on it. It smelled like something I would really, really enjoy. It had a very strong bourbon ale aroma mixed with a rich roasted coffee like, hops fragrance. In my opinion, very appropriate for this type of beer. Not a lot of lacing remnants, but, a nice show with a swirl every once in a while. I would typically pour this in a rounded bottom glass, like a snifter or tulip stemware.

With that type of build up with the look and smell, I was expecting a taste that would knock my socks off. It was good, but, it certainly didn't wow me. Not really any flavor that came back beyond that coffee & bourbon smell. ...Maybe a little malt aftertaste, but, nothing really outstanding. It did taste as strong as it smelled, and it had the high ABV to back up the aroma, too. Unfortunately, I felt the taste about average, and, there in lies the disappointment, given the other characteristics and the rarity of this brew.

It had a rich, thick taste on the tongue, yet still had some hoppy zest to it. The feel was a bit overtaken by the higher alcohol, but, was still pleasant. Not bad, just not great.

Overall, I think this would be a great "one night, to be different" beer. It would be enjoyed as a one or two beer sitting, maybe even as an after dinner beer as a special treat. It is a beer that you can easily stop yourself from over consuming. Unfortunately, that is not the way I want to enjoy my home drafts. Not that I want to guzzle a pitcher, but, I don't want to feel like I am forcing the rest of that second beer down the belly, either. And, that is where I am with this one, therefore, I would rate this only a little better than an average beer.

I have several different selections on tap, just to mix them up, but, this is one that will likely be consumed a little slower than most, while I try harder to pair it with the right foods.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »