Barrel Aged Ryan Sullivan's Imperial Stout - Moylan's Brewery

Barrel Aged Ryan Sullivan's Imperial StoutBarrel Aged Ryan Sullivan's Imperial Stout

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Ryan Sullivan's Imperial Stout racked into a fresh barrel from Heaven Hill.

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-24-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

ricecracker420, Jan 31, 2014

augustgarage, Jan 24, 2014

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 08, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2013 Vintage - Aged six months in bourbon barrel

Saw on their Twitter account they had this. No mention on their restaurant board about having it, so you gotta ask. And I did. Good for me. Was gonna wait and age it but thought....nahhh.

Pours a nice black ale with a dark beige foamy head with nice staying power. Light lacing.

The aroma has a great blend of chocolate and bourbon right from the first whiff. Oak, cocoa and a wine presence are also here.

The taste is on par with how I like my barrel age stouts. Not much of the "apple" taste and aroma blasting through. Bourbon is up front but not in a harsh way. Big chocolate and char flavor with some hop and bitterness on the swallow. Slightly spicy and bit of warmth from the booze.

Oily mouthfeel but also full.

Overall I must say I enjoyed this a lot more than the regular version. I also feel the base beer here is a perfect way to enjoy a barrel aged brew. It's bitter enough on it's own and stands up very well when thrown into a barrel. The barrel was not overly strong but definitely let you know that it's still present with each sniff and sip. There is really no need to cellar these as the blend is working perfectly right now.

kaseydad, Dec 24, 2013

4.5/5  rDev +20%

DarthKostrizer, May 12, 2013

Texasfan549, Apr 26, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

I was a bit disappointed after getting hold of this barrel aged imperial stout. It was suggested as a very limited edition beer by my local distributor and they had a sixtel with my name on it, so, I took the plunge. One of the pricier sixtels I have had, in fact, just a few bucks less than a sixtel of Chimay, which is one of my favorite beers (though have not had it, yet, on draft at my home). Anyhow, Back to this beer review...

It was a rich, dark pour that had a beautiful, long lasting thick head on it. It smelled like something I would really, really enjoy. It had a very strong bourbon ale aroma mixed with a rich roasted coffee like, hops fragrance. In my opinion, very appropriate for this type of beer. Not a lot of lacing remnants, but, a nice show with a swirl every once in a while. I would typically pour this in a rounded bottom glass, like a snifter or tulip stemware.

With that type of build up with the look and smell, I was expecting a taste that would knock my socks off. It was good, but, it certainly didn't wow me. Not really any flavor that came back beyond that coffee & bourbon smell. ...Maybe a little malt aftertaste, but, nothing really outstanding. It did taste as strong as it smelled, and it had the high ABV to back up the aroma, too. Unfortunately, I felt the taste about average, and, there in lies the disappointment, given the other characteristics and the rarity of this brew.

It had a rich, thick taste on the tongue, yet still had some hoppy zest to it. The feel was a bit overtaken by the higher alcohol, but, was still pleasant. Not bad, just not great.

Overall, I think this would be a great "one night, to be different" beer. It would be enjoyed as a one or two beer sitting, maybe even as an after dinner beer as a special treat. It is a beer that you can easily stop yourself from over consuming. Unfortunately, that is not the way I want to enjoy my home drafts. Not that I want to guzzle a pitcher, but, I don't want to feel like I am forcing the rest of that second beer down the belly, either. And, that is where I am with this one, therefore, I would rate this only a little better than an average beer.

I have several different selections on tap, just to mix them up, but, this is one that will likely be consumed a little slower than most, while I try harder to pair it with the right foods.

TequilaGeorge, Mar 05, 2013

ATXRyan, Nov 26, 2012

tbone1384, Nov 11, 2012

popery, Apr 27, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz waxed bomber. Healthy Spirits Eagle Rare Version 2011. Served in a tulip.

Poured vigorously and got a two finger mocha colored head on top of a completely opaque dark brown brew. Head settles to a very creamy film and thick ring. Bits of thick lacing.

Very strong aroma. Powdery milk chocolate dominates, with a good bit of bourbon behind that. Tons of woody oak keep things dry. Some booze.

Flavor hits with an initial sweetness that fades into a drier bourbon bite. Chocolate malt is there but is kind of overwhelmed by an astringent bitter alcohol/barrel flavor. Finish is a little better with a roasted malt and smokey whisky bitterness. Alcohol flavor is too present through the middle and finish.

Body is medium-ish full, but feels a little thin for this style. The carbonation is interesting as it has a sharp soda water quality and feels a little disconnected from the beer.

If the middle didn't drop out of the flavor and the soda-water feel was better, I would rate this beer higher. That said, I think it's very cool that Healthy Spirits is creating these types of single barrel beers. Looking forward to trying the rest!

brotherloco, Feb 25, 2012