Orange & Black Congrats Ale! - Moylan's Brewery

Orange & Black Congrats Ale!Orange & Black Congrats Ale!

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BigB415 on 03-27-2011)
Reviews by lsummers:
3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

The color is the best thing about this beer, a dark beer that has a slight amber tint. Some ok lacing as the head diminishes.

Smell isn't overly impressive, I do like the chocolate grains coming through, maybe it's my imagination but I swear I smell a hint of orange.

Taste is nice, very drinkable black ale, tastes like it might be under 5% not at 6. It has a hint of chocolate and orange. The grains come through a good bit with possibly some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is good, very light feeling with nice carbonation. If I were big into black ales this one might be sessionable.

Overall, I feel like if I skipped this one I wouldn't be missing much. I might not remember it. But it is a good beer, it just falls into the crowd.

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a white head. The aroma is full of chocolate and roasted malt, with a hint of cream. I don't get any of the orange zest in the aroma, but it comes through up front in the flavor. It is joined by some cream and roasted malt and chocolate. Even with all of this, something just doesn't work with this beer and I didn't really find it better than average. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Brought one of these out to visit elrogish at the cabin outside of Yakima. I'm tellin' ya, drink these w Dodgers fans, its an awesome experience watching them get all upset.

Brownish appearance, thin ring of head, beige. Nice orange peel aroma and cocao powder. Wouldn't be SF if you didn't smell some nuts.

Taste, kind of doesn't know whether it wants to be a stout or a sturdy brown ale, or is a mix of both, but ultimately, classification is of little import. Kind of a mix of that candy you buy in the bulk aisle at Winco foods. You get the cocao powder and chocolate mouthfeel, with a little bit of nuts and citrus orange mixed in.

h

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

2.94/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a near black, deep ruby brown with a tan, 2 finger head. Fair retention, leaving behind a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Lacing is spotty at best.

Smell - Predominant orange aroma, with hints of chocolate and coffee sitting beneath.

Taste - Follows the nose - orange sweetness, backed by moderate chocolate notes and a very light coffee character. Very sweet. Almost cloying. No real bitterness to be found anywhere in this beer to give it proper balance.

Mouthfeel - Light in body. moderate carbonation. Probably thinner than it should be. Goes down smooth.

Overall - Brewed to honor the Champions, but this is clearly not cut from the same cloth. Almost no bitterness to be found. This is supposed to be hoppy? Yeah, no. As a beer in and of itself, it's average. As a 'Black IPA' it fails completely. I love the Giants, but this is no World Champion beer. Not even close.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At Maple Sugar on tap. No aroma, mostly a black beer with a little head. dark but not black coloured body. No aroma, shwartzbier in that it was licorice, roasty taste but surprised not getting that in the aroma. A little citrus to complement it. Good idea, not necessarily well executed.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

4.06/5  rDev +16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a a scarlet-tinged mahogany with a finger of tan head. Okay lacing & a trace of head retention

S: Cocoa & orange notes, nose opens up as this warms

T: Cocoa & slight charred grain , a touch of orange up front. More orange & a touch of baker's chocolate as this warms, faint charred grain notes, mostly orange though & some dryness. Finishes with some Terry's Orange Biscuit notes & whispers of charred grain

MF: Medium bodied, smooth carbonation, nice balance, warming

I really enjoyed this, one the better Moylan's beers I've had in a while. This would work for me as a breakfast beer when a coffee beer seems too heavy

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a dark brown to black with a nice tan head. No lacing. Looks good.
S: nice blend of roasted malts and orange zest. Like one one of: those holiday chocolate covered oranges.
T: the orange flavor is taking over the malts. A bit too strong for me. Sweet and citrusy.
M: medium bodied and smooth. Easy drinking, clean but tasty finish.
O: not bad at all. Little too much orange for me, but smooth and somewhat tasty.

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

I love the Giants, so I'm somewhat ashamed of how long it took me to discover this beer. And I didn't even discover it: some guys sitting behind us on closing day mentioned it. Maybe it's time to hang it up. Or maybe I should just get on with the review. I picked up a bomber at WF the other day and consumed it while watching the Rangers beat the Cardinals in a truly excellent Game 2.

A: Black ales have never, in my opinion, been the prettiest beers but this one pours a nice ruby brown with about a finger of tan head, most of which dissolved quickly. A bit lingered.

S: Molasses right off the bat, so to speak, with raisin and brown sugar/carmel notes following. I couldn't pick up the orange, so if it's there it's subtle. I found myself smelling it again and again.

T: Very roasty, verging on the porter-y and stout-y. The orange flavor is more noticeable, but it doesn't overpower. I've been drinking lots of pumpkin ales recently, and this shares certain spicy elements with them (Pumpkins are orange too. Maybe they did it on purpose.) Aftertaste is smoky, and heavy on dark chocolate and molasses.

M: Feel is absolutely where this beer falls short (strikes out -- or maybe a very Giants-like weak grounder to second). It's too light in the body to do the weighty flavors justice, especially considering it's relatively low ABV doesn't pick up any of the slack. Carbonation is moderate to low, which does help a bit as this beer would be unbearably watery otherwise.

O: I would absolutely drink this beer again, and plan to purchase a few bottles to share with my beer loving and baseball ignorant friends. If the beer had more presence and texture, it would definitely be a starter. As it is, it's a pinch hitter. Or a lefty specialist.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

Pours black with brown highlights and a small, off-white head.
Nose shows cocoa and chocolate with little else noticeable, although some roasted coffee is present later. Citrus is barely noticeable.
Flavours mainly focus on plain roasted malt, with some very faint coffee in the background. Again, very little citrus.
Body feels a bit watery.
Seems like a schwarzbier.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

My wife picked this up for me at her work a while ago.

Appearance- black color, thin head

Smell- licorice, caramel

Taste- licorice flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good. I would buy it again. Probably should buy some more

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

I dont usually expect anything from this brewery but this is good. Not bad actually.

It tastes like a dark creamsicle would. It looks dark and orangey, its got some lace, some creaminess to the body. For 4 bucks id buy it if it were there. Not bad. The only other beer by them I like is their DIPA and Hopsickle.

GI-ants GI-ants

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

A clear black colored ale with a small tan colored head.

Smells strongly of patent malt. Strong chocolate and toasted bread aroma. Smells fairly sweet with a mild coffee aroma.

Starts out sweet with a mild coffee flavor. Mild hop flavor but this tastes like a porter. Overall this is just average type ale.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is just an OK ale. I paid $6.99 for the bottle and I frankly don't think this was worth that much. Especially since I can get a far better Lagunitas seasonal for $2.99 to $3.99 for the same sized bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%