Orange & Black Congrats Ale! - Moylan's Brewery

Orange & Black Congrats Ale!Orange & Black Congrats Ale!

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BigB415 on 03-27-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.24/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber, A disclaimer: I hate the Giants, I hope they never win another World Series as long as I live. Go Dodgers! But the recipe of this beer caught my fancy, here goes,

A: Pours black with a mild off white head, good retention, leaves spotty lace.

S: Great orange nose, mandarin like, almost candy esque. But a real nice floral fruity scent, some hops and charcoal on the back end.

T: Dark malt, light roast, with a real nice orange zest flavour. Fruity and tasty. Light hops.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp carbonation, smooth and easy going. Not as big as one might think.

O: Good beer, hope they keep making this one, but hopefully no more Giants championships. (671 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reveling in the WS victory of my hometown team (SF Giants), I saw this and had to buy, not only because it was from a great brewery and a celebration of my favorite team's WS victory, but also because it sounded amazing. Black ale brewed with oranges? Yum!

A: Black with a short mocha head.

S: Orange is there, but not dominant. It smells like a black ale, with lots of chocolate, dark fruit, roasted malt and coffee, as well as a citric, slightly floral hoppiness.

T: Orange is still not as present or fresh as I had hoped for, as those same roasty notes and dark fruits take center stage amidst the orange flavor and hoppiness.

M: Medium bodied and smoothish.

O: Delicious, though the fresh orange flavors and scents I was hoping for weren't there. (755 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +14.4%

Enjoyed in a shaker pint at Tops.

Black and inky, with raspberry highlights and a thin soda fizz head of dark ginger that pops away after mere seconds.

Tastes and smells like those little chocolate oranges you got at Christmas. Molasses, sweet tangerine syrup, dark chocolate, hints of licorice. Smoothly blended.

Subdued notes of artificial orange soda. The flavor starts with sweet milk chocolate that becomes more bitter dark chocolate at the swallow. Flash of molasses tang before a clean finish.

Medium-high painful carbonation, with a soft, creamy medium body and not much fizz at all.

Tasty. A bit artificial-tasting, but good. Reminds me of Christmas morning. (677 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a a scarlet-tinged mahogany with a finger of tan head. Okay lacing & a trace of head retention

S: Cocoa & orange notes, nose opens up as this warms

T: Cocoa & slight charred grain , a touch of orange up front. More orange & a touch of baker's chocolate as this warms, faint charred grain notes, mostly orange though & some dryness. Finishes with some Terry's Orange Biscuit notes & whispers of charred grain

MF: Medium bodied, smooth carbonation, nice balance, warming

I really enjoyed this, one the better Moylan's beers I've had in a while. This would work for me as a breakfast beer when a coffee beer seems too heavy (630 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +13%

I love the Giants, so I'm somewhat ashamed of how long it took me to discover this beer. And I didn't even discover it: some guys sitting behind us on closing day mentioned it. Maybe it's time to hang it up. Or maybe I should just get on with the review. I picked up a bomber at WF the other day and consumed it while watching the Rangers beat the Cardinals in a truly excellent Game 2.

A: Black ales have never, in my opinion, been the prettiest beers but this one pours a nice ruby brown with about a finger of tan head, most of which dissolved quickly. A bit lingered.

S: Molasses right off the bat, so to speak, with raisin and brown sugar/carmel notes following. I couldn't pick up the orange, so if it's there it's subtle. I found myself smelling it again and again.

T: Very roasty, verging on the porter-y and stout-y. The orange flavor is more noticeable, but it doesn't overpower. I've been drinking lots of pumpkin ales recently, and this shares certain spicy elements with them (Pumpkins are orange too. Maybe they did it on purpose.) Aftertaste is smoky, and heavy on dark chocolate and molasses.

M: Feel is absolutely where this beer falls short (strikes out -- or maybe a very Giants-like weak grounder to second). It's too light in the body to do the weighty flavors justice, especially considering it's relatively low ABV doesn't pick up any of the slack. Carbonation is moderate to low, which does help a bit as this beer would be unbearably watery otherwise.

O: I would absolutely drink this beer again, and plan to purchase a few bottles to share with my beer loving and baseball ignorant friends. If the beer had more presence and texture, it would definitely be a starter. As it is, it's a pinch hitter. Or a lefty specialist. (1,752 characters)

On tap at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, and some citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with some distinct orange flavors on the finish. There is a mild roasty and hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer and an interesting combination of ingredients. (565 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

I always tend to pass over Moylans when I see it on the shelf. I don't quite know why, but for some reason this one caught my eye. Let's see how it goes. Purchased in Berkeley, CA, and brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable and @tobeerornottobe.

Pours a deep and relatively clear dark red colour, almost black until the hue is exposed to the light. Head is filmy and a little inconsistent, but forms in pleasant fine bubbles on the surface. Some patchy string-like lacing.

Nose is immediately pounded with jaffa characters of piquant, spicy orange and smooth grainy chocolate. Sharp, sweetly citric hop characters come through on a basis that is full of dark sweetness. It's hard to say it any other way. This smells like jaffas. It's excitingly different.

Taste is similar, with a pleasant dark chocolate and grain character leavened and cut with a rather sweet but slightly biting hop bitterness. The aroma still sticks around, lending the sensation of sweetness to the brew, even though the body itself is quite light and thin.

A very interesting brew. It misses some body, which is a bit of a shame, but otherwise it's a pretty decent ABA, with a lovely and dichotomous mixture of hops and sweet dark grain. (1,230 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

Orange & Black Congrats Ale! is as black as Brian Wilson's beard and has a head that's just as bushy. This tan, sponge-like specimen doesn't sink or split an inch - by the looks of it, it will stick around long after the inky, opaque liquid beneath finds its way to my belly.

Any given day in San Francisco you're likely to experience autumn, summer and spring weather, all within 24 hours; the one season it never seems to be here is winter and yet this beer, because it smells so reminiscent of those chocolate-covered oranges, reminds me explicitly of Christmas. Actually, the orange zest is almost redolent of clove and cardamon.

Indeed! The orange zest is definitely more savory than citrusy. In fact, the taste is almost pumpkin-y, like a pumpkin porter (an association owing to the pumpkin pie-like flavours of savory, spicy cardamon and clove). I'm tempted to say I taste something citrusy but, truth be told, there's enough smoky malt and burnt grain flavour to render that impossible.

The brewery calls this offering a 'Black Ale' but if you ask me it's far closer in character to a (spiced) stout. It has a roasty mouthfeel with an unusual amount of (almost nitro-tap quality) creaminess. The finish is bittersweet and smoky, almost woody, heavy enough so you feel full but enticing enough that you willfully ignore that fact. And hop bitterness is scant.

I found Orange & Black Congrats Ale! to be every bit as enjoyable a drink as it was crafty and cool an idea. I'm not sure it came together the way the brewery thought it might - then again, I'm not sure the brewery had anything particular in mind - but the spiced, orange chocolate thing worked for me. And if the Giants repeat: DOUBLE Orange & Black? Consider it, Moylan's! (1,749 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Orange & Black pours almost black with a tinge of dark brownish orange around the edges.

Smell: A perfect balance of subtle hop and roasted malt is complemented nicely by the lingering aroma of fresh peeled oranges.

Taste: Do not Fear the Beer! This is a very easy drinking brew with well integrated flavors of toast and milk chocolate, mellow hop bitterness, and a zest of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a medium body that clears the pallet quickly leaving behind a slight bitterness from the roasted malts, hops, and orange peel.

Overall: Well played Moylan's. It's not as hoppy as I would like my Black Ales (or Black IPA or Cascadian Dark...take your pick) but the absence of some of the hops I was hoping for is supplemented by the great fresh orange aromas and flavors. Even as a Dodger fan I can appreciate this beer brewed to congratulate the SF Giants and will be having a few in the next couple of days as I watch the opening weekend of baseball.

Cheers! (998 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +8.7%

Being from a town 30 minutes north of San Francisco we are quite proud of our city and when the baseball team wins the world series for the first time in 54 years we honor them by making a beer in their honor. This beer will be available on tap at the public house which is the bar/eatery attached to the Giants ballpark. They define the beer as a black ale with orange zest. I can taste the orange which is good because it gives it a sweet kick but not an overpowering one. I can't taste the hops since it seems that the orange zest is overpowering it but that's ok. I say this is a pretty solid effort and a nice beer. If you want something new from Moylans give it a try since they just added 3 new beers to a beer list that has been the same for a long time. (762 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +8.2%

22 ounce bottle - Hop City Beer & Wine in Birmingham, Alabama.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, near black body with a foamy, lasting, light beige head.

Smell: Roasty malts with a leaning note of chocolate boosted by an aroma of fruity orange-flavored confections. Well, this wasn't what I had anticipated when I purchased this one.

Taste: Roasted maltiness yielding tastes of chocolate and coffee, as well as a munch of licorice stick. Medium sweetness. Orange candy flavor, develops into a muted sip of orange liqueur. Maybe a hint of pine. Hop bitterness remains fairly subdued. Drying, lightly spicy finish with more of the citrus taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Goes a bit beyond medium carbonation.

Overall: I know they have those orange Tootsie pops with the Tootsie Roll stuffed inside, but, this was like a standard Tootsie Pop with the orange-flavored Tootsie Roll crammed within. Work with me on this one, guys. Please. (940 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Tastes like a porter with the roast malt and modest bitterness. Also tastes, as advertised, like orange and chocolate. Attractive dark brown color with some ruby highights, decent head and carbonation. Plenty of caramel and slightly scorched sugar. Orange flavor is not too strong, but doesn't come through too much in the aroma. A pleasant mouthful, low intensity. A nice alternative to regular Porters. (404 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Found a bottle of this in a market in St Helena while wine tasting in Napa Valley, Never saw or heard of it before.

Appearance: Dark brown in color much like a porter. Off white head, small amounts of carbonation and lacing. Clear, crisp, not mirky.

Smell: Earthy, musty tones of orange zest, not the ripe citrusy orange I expected. Whiffs of light roasted maltiness and instant coffee. Neither stand out much on their own. Very little hop presence on the nose.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Comes across as a orange zest infused Porter with a very mild hoppiness. As it warms, light amount of chocolate malts sneak in. Low in ABV, no alcohol presence on the tongue.

This is a different brew and i would recommend trying it if you run across it and care for the characteristics I've described. I would do it again, was kinda fun trying it and figuring it out. Not overwhelmed though. Cheers (899 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +7%

I dont usually expect anything from this brewery but this is good. Not bad actually.

It tastes like a dark creamsicle would. It looks dark and orangey, its got some lace, some creaminess to the body. For 4 bucks id buy it if it were there. Not bad. The only other beer by them I like is their DIPA and Hopsickle.

GI-ants GI-ants (330 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Sampled on tap @ 1702, Tucson; August 2011
Arrives from the tap with a half-finger thick, lightly brown tinged, tan colored head. The beer is a dark brown color with perhaps a touch of burnt amber to it and it shows a clear, brown-amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells like a pineapple Empanada for some reason; in fact it smells quite distinctly like this. The nose is quite fruity, but with lots of toasted pastry like aromatics along with a touch of burn brown sugar aromatics. Both the toasted pastry and the bright citrus fruitiness is so distinct here in the nose; I wasn’t expecting anything like this when I ordered this beer, but I am really digging the nose on this one.

Fairly light bodied up front, the start has some prickly carbonation, a roasted malty character that reminds me of toast and then a huge, almost artificial seeming orange-sicle candy like character to the finish; I say candy because it is so amplified as this beer is not sweet really. The finish also has some bitter roasted character to it a touch of cleaner hop bitterness, but really just a linger citrus oil note that you can almost feel on the palate. There is a lot of dark and roasted malt character in this beer (it has that wholesome deeply toasted, whole grain bread character I like to see as well as the ample roasted character)

An interesting beer, I really liked the aroma, though the flavor ended up being a bit too focused on the orange character to blow me away. Still this is quite a tasty beer. (1,515 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Judging from reviews, and my experience, it must be widely different on draft rather than bottle(I had draft).
It pours pretty black on draft, with very little head retention. It looks and smells(and tastes) more like a cascadian/black ipa. With the exception of the obvious citrus nose. It has a nice roasted, malty front, with a fairly hoppy middle. The end finishes faintly of orange, but with the mouthfeel, and more I drank, it tasted more of orange juice. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It was very interesting to say the least. Would I order another? Maybe. Ok, yes I just did. It's not bad, it actually would be a great homebrew. I do find it more enjoyable than almost EVERY other Moylans brew. Very creative. (725 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

I got this at Hi-time, probably the first place around here first to get it.

This taste very much like a porter, with malty sweetness followed up some mellow hoppy taste. I could see this could either be a porter or a black IPA. There's also a faint kumquat taste, it's subtle but definitely noticeable.

Overall it's an interesting blend of flavors encompassed in a brew. (375 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Lagunitas mason jar (it's what I have on hand right now)

A - Pours a dark brown, almost black. A rough pour results in only a thin film of head that dissipates quickly. Decent lacing.

S - Plenty of roastiness up front, with a considerable amount of chocolate and orange in there as well. Not much of a hop presence, but it does have a bit of a bitter herbal flower to the nose.

T - Like delicious victory. Seriously, though, this one has a real interesting flavor profile. The cocoa and orange remind me of one of those whack-and-unwrap chocolate oranges... but only this time in beer form. Some roast up front, an astringent bitterness throughout, and a orange flavor that isn't overwhelming or overly fake-tasting. Pretty solid stuff.

M - Good, lively carbonation. Finishes medium-dry and leaves your mouth feeling oddly clean. I think that's probably the citrus in the beer.

O - As an experimental "orange and black" beer goes, I'd call it a great success. It's not something that should be introduced into the regular rotation, but to celebrate the Giants' WS victory, this is a very fitting brew. (1,120 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark sultana-red colour, just flashes of colour up to the light. Head is beige, decent density, just a thin crown of bubbles left with spidery lace. Quite good.

Smell is plum-full of dark fruits. Nice roasty, unsweetened chocolate base to it and then shitloads of dried apple, prunes, dates, figs and cranberry. Kind of brandy edge and a good dose of nutmeg that adds a woodiness. Really rather pleasant; spicy and curranty.

Taste is disappointingly subdued. Pleasant notes are around but just not as distinct as on the nose. Sultanas, raisins and currants provide the majority with some prune sweetness and mild nutmeg spice on the mid. Hint of licorice towards the back without spice and finishes with a big cocoa-rich chocolate finish. Really overall just tastes like chocolate-covered licorice bullets. Not bad, could use some more pow!

Thin feel, really. Just feels empty most of the way through the palate with some drying sensations at times. Really could use more body.

A nice-flavoured beer, but it makes me want to put it through flavour boot camp: "You call yourself a craft beer, you weak, lilly-livered maggot?" Not because it's bad but because I feel it could use some tough love. (1,210 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The beer pours almost black in color with a small tan head.

S: Starts off with a rather intense roast note. The transition is rather quick to brown sugar, licorice, and molasses. There is a mild coffee note along with earthy hops and some candied citrus.

T: Lots of roasted malt flavor, too. There is plenty of burnt sugar, licorice, and molasses. A very intense flavor of candied orange peels which gives a strange sweetness and flavor that I would compare to orange creamsicle.

M: Medium bodied with a sort of low carbonation.

O: I guess this is supposed to be a black IPA, but it was really anything but. (636 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Brought one of these out to visit elrogish at the cabin outside of Yakima. I'm tellin' ya, drink these w Dodgers fans, its an awesome experience watching them get all upset.

Brownish appearance, thin ring of head, beige. Nice orange peel aroma and cocao powder. Wouldn't be SF if you didn't smell some nuts.

Taste, kind of doesn't know whether it wants to be a stout or a sturdy brown ale, or is a mix of both, but ultimately, classification is of little import. Kind of a mix of that candy you buy in the bulk aisle at Winco foods. You get the cocao powder and chocolate mouthfeel, with a little bit of nuts and citrus orange mixed in.

(642 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

My wife picked this up for me at her work a while ago.

Appearance- black color, thin head

Smell- licorice, caramel

Taste- licorice flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good. I would buy it again. Probably should buy some more (265 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a dark brown to black with a nice tan head. No lacing. Looks good.
S: nice blend of roasted malts and orange zest. Like one one of: those holiday chocolate covered oranges.
T: the orange flavor is taking over the malts. A bit too strong for me. Sweet and citrusy.
M: medium bodied and smooth. Easy drinking, clean but tasty finish.
O: not bad at all. Little too much orange for me, but smooth and somewhat tasty. (421 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours black with brown highlights and a small, off-white head.
Nose shows cocoa and chocolate with little else noticeable, although some roasted coffee is present later. Citrus is barely noticeable.
Flavours mainly focus on plain roasted malt, with some very faint coffee in the background. Again, very little citrus.
Body feels a bit watery.
Seems like a schwarzbier. (368 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nicely to leave a kola beer hue with a two finger creamy head and sudsy lacing all over the place,the smell is basically dark cooking chocolate mixed with orange almost jaffa like with aromas of citrus,fresh dough and pine aswell,the mouthfeel is light bodied and to be honest too light for me it really doesnt do the tastes of dark chocolate,watery coffee,light citrus and light herbal hops any justice and unfortunately with the light body to it,it really does come across as a jaffa infused dark ale and even though its not the worst black ale out there i could think of alot better options before i chose this one and i wouldnt buy this one again cheers. (664 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast