Orange & Black Congrats Ale! - Moylan's Brewery

Orange & Black Congrats Ale!Orange & Black Congrats Ale!

good

Moylan's Brewery visit their website

American Black Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BigB415 on 03-27-2011)

Spaz7, Jul 18, 2013

sevenshubby, Aug 25, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

TruePerception, Jun 16, 2014

KevdoggNasty, Mar 30, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -48.4%

Source/Serving: 22 oz bottle

S: Orange/tangerine oil, chocolate, coffee. Oranges have a stale quality (maybe it’s the mixing with the moderate hoppiness) and while not completely precise it kinda smells like oranges that came from a trash dumpster. If I smelled this orange character I wouldn't eat the fruit and I just don't think the burnt+orange character goes well together at all.

T: Again, the intention to bring orange and black together (The Giants colors and this beer celebrates them winning the 2011 World Series) doesn't make sense on a taste level. The orange character actually stands up against the substantial burnt/roasted character, but to get it up to those levels the orange flavor isn't very natural. Its slightly like orange pith (not too bad), but also like orange concentrate (bad). Part of it is that its too sweet overall. After that initial collision and both of those flavors somehow subside, and a tinkle of citrus hops show through but then the fake orange comes back with an awful vengeance to finish out the sip over a thin veil of clean roastiness that remains quite sweet. This is perhaps the worst orange quality, fake almost to the point of plastic. I don’t think its because 'fake' oranges were used per se, its more that to get the intense, clear orange intensity they wanted the flavors come off as 'concentrate' in a BAD way.

Notes: Go Giants, but let's not be so literal in the orange/black interpretation next time. Highly unique, but please don't copy it.

4000qtrap, Apr 30, 2011

TGS, Feb 16, 2012

hickmancase, Nov 02, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours a dark brown to black with a nice tan head. No lacing. Looks good.
S: nice blend of roasted malts and orange zest. Like one one of: those holiday chocolate covered oranges.
T: the orange flavor is taking over the malts. A bit too strong for me. Sweet and citrusy.
M: medium bodied and smooth. Easy drinking, clean but tasty finish.
O: not bad at all. Little too much orange for me, but smooth and somewhat tasty.

Infamous7100, Nov 24, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

qchic, Jun 14, 2014

SortaAmbivalent, May 02, 2013

Omer4176, Jan 17, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +36.1%

jmbraxton, Oct 13, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

I got this at Hi-time, probably the first place around here first to get it.

This taste very much like a porter, with malty sweetness followed up some mellow hoppy taste. I could see this could either be a porter or a black IPA. There's also a faint kumquat taste, it's subtle but definitely noticeable.

Overall it's an interesting blend of flavors encompassed in a brew.

vince4953529, Apr 01, 2011

Mneme1984, May 03, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Being from a town 30 minutes north of San Francisco we are quite proud of our city and when the baseball team wins the world series for the first time in 54 years we honor them by making a beer in their honor. This beer will be available on tap at the public house which is the bar/eatery attached to the Giants ballpark. They define the beer as a black ale with orange zest. I can taste the orange which is good because it gives it a sweet kick but not an overpowering one. I can't taste the hops since it seems that the orange zest is overpowering it but that's ok. I say this is a pretty solid effort and a nice beer. If you want something new from Moylans give it a try since they just added 3 new beers to a beer list that has been the same for a long time.

BigB415, Mar 27, 2011

marieow, Jan 04, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a Lagunitas mason jar (it's what I have on hand right now)

A - Pours a dark brown, almost black. A rough pour results in only a thin film of head that dissipates quickly. Decent lacing.

S - Plenty of roastiness up front, with a considerable amount of chocolate and orange in there as well. Not much of a hop presence, but it does have a bit of a bitter herbal flower to the nose.

T - Like delicious victory. Seriously, though, this one has a real interesting flavor profile. The cocoa and orange remind me of one of those whack-and-unwrap chocolate oranges... but only this time in beer form. Some roast up front, an astringent bitterness throughout, and a orange flavor that isn't overwhelming or overly fake-tasting. Pretty solid stuff.

M - Good, lively carbonation. Finishes medium-dry and leaves your mouth feeling oddly clean. I think that's probably the citrus in the beer.

O - As an experimental "orange and black" beer goes, I'd call it a great success. It's not something that should be introduced into the regular rotation, but to celebrate the Giants' WS victory, this is a very fitting brew.

ESPNman, Jun 14, 2013

DividedAvery, Jan 08, 2012

LeapintoBeer, Sep 26, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Found a bottle of this in a market in St Helena while wine tasting in Napa Valley, Never saw or heard of it before.

Appearance: Dark brown in color much like a porter. Off white head, small amounts of carbonation and lacing. Clear, crisp, not mirky.

Smell: Earthy, musty tones of orange zest, not the ripe citrusy orange I expected. Whiffs of light roasted maltiness and instant coffee. Neither stand out much on their own. Very little hop presence on the nose.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Comes across as a orange zest infused Porter with a very mild hoppiness. As it warms, light amount of chocolate malts sneak in. Low in ABV, no alcohol presence on the tongue.

This is a different brew and i would recommend trying it if you run across it and care for the characteristics I've described. I would do it again, was kinda fun trying it and figuring it out. Not overwhelmed though. Cheers

Siggy125, Apr 16, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Orange & Black pours almost black with a tinge of dark brownish orange around the edges.

Smell: A perfect balance of subtle hop and roasted malt is complemented nicely by the lingering aroma of fresh peeled oranges.

Taste: Do not Fear the Beer! This is a very easy drinking brew with well integrated flavors of toast and milk chocolate, mellow hop bitterness, and a zest of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a medium body that clears the pallet quickly leaving behind a slight bitterness from the roasted malts, hops, and orange peel.

Overall: Well played Moylan's. It's not as hoppy as I would like my Black Ales (or Black IPA or Cascadian Dark...take your pick) but the absence of some of the hops I was hoping for is supplemented by the great fresh orange aromas and flavors. Even as a Dodger fan I can appreciate this beer brewed to congratulate the SF Giants and will be having a few in the next couple of days as I watch the opening weekend of baseball.

Cheers!

BeerOnTheWall, Mar 30, 2011

rcrockett74, Jul 21, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +14%

I love the Giants, so I'm somewhat ashamed of how long it took me to discover this beer. And I didn't even discover it: some guys sitting behind us on closing day mentioned it. Maybe it's time to hang it up. Or maybe I should just get on with the review. I picked up a bomber at WF the other day and consumed it while watching the Rangers beat the Cardinals in a truly excellent Game 2.

A: Black ales have never, in my opinion, been the prettiest beers but this one pours a nice ruby brown with about a finger of tan head, most of which dissolved quickly. A bit lingered.

S: Molasses right off the bat, so to speak, with raisin and brown sugar/carmel notes following. I couldn't pick up the orange, so if it's there it's subtle. I found myself smelling it again and again.

T: Very roasty, verging on the porter-y and stout-y. The orange flavor is more noticeable, but it doesn't overpower. I've been drinking lots of pumpkin ales recently, and this shares certain spicy elements with them (Pumpkins are orange too. Maybe they did it on purpose.) Aftertaste is smoky, and heavy on dark chocolate and molasses.

M: Feel is absolutely where this beer falls short (strikes out -- or maybe a very Giants-like weak grounder to second). It's too light in the body to do the weighty flavors justice, especially considering it's relatively low ABV doesn't pick up any of the slack. Carbonation is moderate to low, which does help a bit as this beer would be unbearably watery otherwise.

O: I would absolutely drink this beer again, and plan to purchase a few bottles to share with my beer loving and baseball ignorant friends. If the beer had more presence and texture, it would definitely be a starter. As it is, it's a pinch hitter. Or a lefty specialist.

baronofthebrew, Oct 21, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Judging from reviews, and my experience, it must be widely different on draft rather than bottle(I had draft).
It pours pretty black on draft, with very little head retention. It looks and smells(and tastes) more like a cascadian/black ipa. With the exception of the obvious citrus nose. It has a nice roasted, malty front, with a fairly hoppy middle. The end finishes faintly of orange, but with the mouthfeel, and more I drank, it tasted more of orange juice. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It was very interesting to say the least. Would I order another? Maybe. Ok, yes I just did. It's not bad, it actually would be a great homebrew. I do find it more enjoyable than almost EVERY other Moylans brew. Very creative.

hophead4173, Aug 19, 2011