Cass Fresh - Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 03-01-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 111 | Reviews: 43
1.73/5  rDev -23.8%

Just the typeical kind of commercial pilsner

2.95/5  rDev +30%

I'm having Cass on Draft and I don't think it's as bad as its current score. Perhaps Cass from the bottle is sucky...but it's decent from the tap. It Pours like most American lagers...clear...golden thin white head that is dissatisfied over time. Not much to the scent and the taste is slightly grainy. Mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's fine.

1.4/5  rDev -38.3%

No taste at all, fizzy, labelled as 4.5% alcohol, so I guess it has a kick after a few. But after one, I just wanted a beer with some taste, glad I only bought a 6-pack!

2.75/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

No review to give. Bad app

1.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Looks like beer, smells like beer, tastes like.... carbonated stale water

1.25/5  rDev -44.9%

Watery and thine taste.
Only worth to drink mixed with Soju.

Don't expect a craft beer and you won't be disappointed by the onamonapia namesake beer for sigh of relief.

1.25/5  rDev -44.9%

Only drink this if you are in Korea and the girl you are with wants beer and there are no other options.

2.92/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured from a large bottle into a small Hite drinking glass in a 'beef and leaf' joint in Itaewon-dong, Seoul, ROK. (My second was on the KAL flight from Incheon to Dulles.)

A: Pale clear yellow body, some visible carbonation. Small white head that fades fast.

S: Grainy malt with some hops. It smells like a lager.

T: Typically lager, but not as plain as an American lager. Hints of something floral. Grainy pale malt comes through a little, but not strong. Clean, but bland tasting. Slightly sweet aftertaste.

M: Watery and thin. Clean feel on the palate.

O: So it's made with rice, guess what...Korea is covered in the stuff, its the staple grain. That said, compared to the beers available worldwide, this is typical for a local staple beer in many countries. It wasn't bad, and frankly the flavor went well with the Korean BBQ, and I'd say was nearly perfect. Would I buy it here in the US? Nope. Would I drink it regular if I was in the ROK? Absolutely...if I had some 'beef and leaf' to eat with it.

2.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours one finger of head on a clear light gold colored body. Low head retention.
The aroma is metallic, adjunct grain and lemon. Not good.
The taste is boldly metallic and watery.
The texture is quite fizzy with a thin and crisp body.
This beer is completely not enjoyable.

2.36/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A bit of a citrus aftertaste, however it went flat very quick once opened and poured into a Sam Adams Glass. For a beer to help cool down instead of coke on a warm day by the pool it would do the trick but would really need to be followed by a good ale.

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

From a large bottle into a small Hite drinking glass at Old Village Korean Restaurant (or whatever it's called now) on Aurora Avenue, Seattle.

Pours a pale clear yellow with a 1-finger white head, moderate carb.

Aroma is faint floral hops and grainy malt.

Taste is surprisingly floral and clean, with some Kölsch-like qualities. Some grainy pale malt too. I haven't had a lager in a while but this isn't bad, nowhere as bad as other reviews indicate. If anything it's just watery and boring.

Mouthfeel is pretty watery and thin, as would be expected from a 4.5% adjunct lager.

Overall just an average AAL, after a long day of housework it went well with the bulgoki pot and pajeon.

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 27/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a big soapy bone white head that hangs around for a while leaving a few spots of lace

S not much on the nose just some rice cake and wet cardboard and just a little sweet malt

T more of the same really, but somehow there's more cardboard and there's a slight chemical flavor that's a step down from the nose

M watery and well carbonated, faint aftertaste doesn't last very long

O not overly offensive but not very good either, slightly off but still drinkable

one and done, glad I didn't need to buy 6 thanks for that Zyn

1.03/5  rDev -54.6%

Flat and chemical. I have tried it on tap, in a can, a plastic bottle they call a pitcher, and a bottle...I have even drank this out of a 2 inch paper cup! It's not good...

There is a reason this beer is widely unavailable in America (accept large cities with a lot of Koreans), it is because it is terrible! I lived in Korea for 3 years and I would go out of my way to avoid this. Lucky for me they imported MGD and Budweiser (which I never drink in the States). MGD was smooth and refreshing compared to this beer. Korea does not have a strong beer culture like western countries, so they don't have a lot of good beers available. When they do, they are quite expensive. This beer--along with Hite--are terrible and should be avoided at all costs. If you visit Korea for vacation, sure, try them for the novelty. But, if you have to live there, good luck finding inexpensive good beers.

2.3/5  rDev +1.3%

A: crystal clear straw liquid with a small white foam cap. Lots of rising carbonation, but the beer wasn't so foamy that it ran the risk of overflowing in my pint glass. Patchy lacing.

S: doesn't smell too sweet, just some corn and some grassy grains (or possibly hops).

T: Big corn flavor that finishes with sweetness and Band-aids. Some pale grains can be tasted at first, but the big finish dominates the flavor profile.

M: although the beer has a watery body, there is a thick coating that makes Cass feel fuller than it actually is. Carbonation
Evens are high. There is enough film on my lips that I just unconsciously wiped them clean before writing this sentence.

O: there is nothing overwhelming enough about this beer to make me choose it over an American made adjunct lager. I prefer my homebrew made in this style. I think the only time I would order this one again is if it was the only option at a Korean restaurant and I needed something other than water to go with my food.

South Korea does not proclaim to be a beer Mecca, neither does it harbour many wine enthusiasts (the sweeter the better). Likewise, coffee is an unpretentious beverage only to be enjoyed with a mountain of sugar. Simply, they do not fully understand the westerner's abstract pursuit of connoisseurship. God knows I've tried to enlighten my Korean friends but their hastiness to alter (butcher) western culinary marvels and their propensity to completely misinterpret western sensibilities only makes them more loveable. It must be said that Korean cuisine is quite special and soju gets you trollied for next to nothing. Anyway, Cass Fresh is possibly the best of a bad bunch so I'll try not to be too harsh with it.

S: Crickey! Swirling it around I get a strong whiff of pond silt.

T: Soft bitterness on back of the tongue. Metallicy malt but not harsh. Fizzy. Kind of clean.

O: Very similar to Bud. Easy to drink.

2.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Ho Lee Smoke Stacks (to not get so full of cursing swearing here). There I was, sitting in my Korean grocer, wanting my kimchi fix and there they still had on the shelves... Cass. Boy does this bring back memories. 17 years ago, this was much of what I drank in that beer wasteland I call South Korea. It was so not worth the time that it made Makkoli taste good, and make me discover the joys of DongDongJu in Pusan, and Soju on Taechon beach. Backpacking Soraksan and a 2002 World Cup later, how does this taste remain? We shall see, pouring this into a shaker pint (like it REALLY matters).

Appearance, boy.. an aggressive pour produces such a lifeless white head that it disintegrates into nothing flat just like I remember. WOW does this bring back memories sitting at the HOFs. Body color is extremely straw pale, it's PAST yellow, with some noticeable cola rising carbonation. Boy... I can't believe how incredibly LIGHT looking this beer is, far more so than I remember. Strangely it still manages to keep a thin collar.

Nose. What nose? I smell next to nothing on this. Faint malt but mostly just macro beer smelling lightness. Ironically it is not that offensive at all, but it barely even smells like beer. I don't find any faults either, perhaps cause they aren't really trying?? I call.... RIIIiiice!!!

Strangely after all that is said, the land of morning calm still wants to remind me of good times. Cloying slight syrup palate but strangely gives some depth. Palate fills mostly with a sugars but is strangely not that sweet. Finish is incredibly fast leaving nothing left to pick up. Wow, an unbelievably WET and watery finish on this beer, but not very carbonated either, which makes the beer lifeless in a strange way.

Overall, um, why did I buy this? Was it because I still have grand old joys of slumming in Taejon, or cavorting in Taegu and Kyongju? Stuffing my face with Po-sam and cheap beer? I'll remember the food more than anything, I think I'll skip the beer, nothing to see here folks.. move along.

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pale straw colour, foamy white head with zero retention and no lacing.

S - Faint corn and lemon.

T - Just typical macro beer really. Corn, bit of lemon, some grain.

M - Thin and highly carbonated.

O - Not the worst lager in the world. It wasn't skunky, but just a bland drink. Fine for a summers afternoon after mowing the lawn.

2.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle - nice sharp-looking ice imagery on the label, which also promotes a 'fizzy and crisp taste' - um, ok.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw colour, with two fat fingers of puffy and thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some drowning cityscape lace around the glass as it hastily settles.

It smells of semi-sweet corn mush, a weaker pale graininess, nail polish, wet cardboard, and a soft weedy grassiness. The taste is more sweet, syrupy corn, um, syrup, and shamed barley malt, a certain medicinal astringency, way too stale lemon flesh, and some equally less than enthralling generic weedy dryness.

The carbonation is fairly sedate, as barely a plain frothiness arises, the body quite light in weight, and generally smooth, surprisingly enough, but with a certain cloying caveat. It finishes well off-dry, the cheap corniness unfortunately still the star of this particular gong show, doing its darnedest to put its best (and worst) foot forward.

While neither 'fizzy' (good, but really?) nor 'crisp', as the label proclaims, this is not nearly as bad as I was expecting - plain, sure, but no skunk or skank is evident, just a so-so low-brow Asian corn-fed lager - the kind where cost, ubiquity (on its home turf, I'm sure), and hot weather are its main selling points.

2.48/5  rDev +9.3%

"Enjoyed" in the International Terminal at Incheon airport, South Korea. Quite the international experience, as I had this as a complement to German-style sausages in a Japanese-theme restaurant, on my way from China to the US.

Appearance: Pale urine yellow color, with a finger of lively, dense, pure-snow-white foamy head. That foam had no retention, gone in 60 seconds (not a movie reference). Tiniest bits of lacing, which faded fast. Clear as an E-flat trumpet on a mountain top.

Smell: Ah, memories of freshman year. Corny, sweet, Bud-esque.

Taste: What taste there is reminds one of all those other American Adjunct Lagers that one should have avoided. A small amount of malt taste, balanced against essentially no hops.

Mouthfeel: This beer's best feature, if you like overcarbonated light beers. I don't. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Okay, this beer is really not quite awful. It goes fine with food; washed down my sausages just fine. It may be even better with spicy Korean dishes, but I don't think I'll find that out. Yikes, I go back through Incheon on my way back to China. I think I'll look for something else.

Poured in a short tumbler in Korea. Pours a very pale straw, with a stark white, fizzy head. The head drops almost immediately. Fizzy carbonation persists.

Aromas of grainy, sweet malt. Very light earthy hop aroma.

Flavors of extremely light malt flavor, little to no hop flavor. Big carbonic bite. Some corn flavor as it warms up a bit. Finish is short and grainy.

Mouthfeel is light, fizzy, heavy carbonation prickle on the tongue.

Overall not a bad beer for what it is. Refreshing, not offensive or aggressive. Doesn't try to be something it's not (even claims to be fizzy on the can).

2.51/5  rDev +10.6%

Got the big 640 ml bottle from my local Korean market.

Poured into a pilsner glass, a clean light yellow with a fizzy thick head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Not much going on in the smell department. A little whiff of sweet corn, but mostly not much smell at all.

Taste is typical inoffensive macro-lager without much character, but I'd take a Miller High Life or a Japanese macro like Asahi over this given a choice.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and pretty fizzy, which makes up for the thin consistency. Mouthfeel is its best attribute.

Overall, it's drinkable, decent with food, is inoffensive, but there are a lot of macro lagers I'd pick over this, including other Korean ones.

2.9/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours clear and watery with a flat head. Smells of tap water and barely some barley. Flavor is not bad, watery but surprisingly refreshing. If Bud Light wanted to improve, this would be the model. Typical mouthfeel of the factory plonk, but quite easy to drink a few of these. The perfect beer after a meal of kalbi and kimchi, but nothing to write home about.

2.71/5  rDev +19.4%

One of my frequent traders, tone77, dropped off some bottles for me the other day, having noticed that I am on a short CAN hiatus. Cool!

From the label: "Sound of Vitality; 100% non-pasteurized beer provides ultimate refreshment with fizzy and crisp taste." Stone is unworthy of this fizzy yellow beer!

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of foamy, fizzy bone-white head with low retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. With this, who needs x-ray specs? Hell, I could see into the future! Nose was the usual AAL mix of lager sweetness and whatever might have been handy at the time of the initial boil. Gadzooks. Samey same, no matter who whips it up or where. I could (almost) cut & paste future such reviews. Mouthfeel was medium, kind of fizzy, sort of crisp, not enough off to dun them for non-truth in advertising. The taste was rather bland, even for the style. Finish was slightly dry, which may have been to what they were referring with "crisp taste". Really, it was mostly bland and unobtrusive making this an exercise in wheel-spinning. It was better than a Minhas product, but I have had equally good or better domestic AALs.

2.09/5  rDev -7.9%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

No one's gettin' fat 'cept this beer. It pours a clear jaundice topped by a subsequently ironically healthy finger or so of white froth. The nose comprises corn syrup, corn, wheat, grass, aluminum, and hard water. The taste sees the grains get burnt, the grass get wet, and the aluminum intensify. No thank you. The body is light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a sad beer, really, one I don't ever want to have again.

to view more.