Cass Fresh - Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 03-01-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.2/5  rDev +33.9%

Pours a light golden with a white head, active carbonation, but quickly dying head.

Sweet grainy aroma with a touch of grassy hops.

Unlike most Asian beers, I don't taste any rice in the malt profile. Rather I get grains. Very very low hop bitterness, but a slight spicy grassy hop flavor. Overall rather balanced. Finishes on the sweet side.

Lighter bodied, crisp carbonation.

When it comes to Korean beer, I would return to this again. (449 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +31.4%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some hints of corn. Taste is also a bit on the sweet side. Some corn and grains, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a very mediocre beer. (295 characters)

Poured in a short tumbler in Korea. Pours a very pale straw, with a stark white, fizzy head. The head drops almost immediately. Fizzy carbonation persists.

Aromas of grainy, sweet malt. Very light earthy hop aroma.

Flavors of extremely light malt flavor, little to no hop flavor. Big carbonic bite. Some corn flavor as it warms up a bit. Finish is short and grainy.

Mouthfeel is light, fizzy, heavy carbonation prickle on the tongue.

Overall not a bad beer for what it is. Refreshing, not offensive or aggressive. Doesn't try to be something it's not (even claims to be fizzy on the can). (592 characters)

Notice my average marks. Yep, just average. For the most part I never met a beer I didn't like and when dining out on the economy in Korea this is probably the best choice to go with your spicy barbecue and soju. Appearance is typical of any mainstream domestic beer. I did enjoy the fact it was served in a 3 liter pitcher which made for a nice session beer. (359 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I'm having Cass on Draft and I don't think it's as bad as its current score. Perhaps Cass from the bottle is sucky...but it's decent from the tap. It Pours like most American lagers...clear...golden thin white head that is dissatisfied over time. Not much to the scent and the taste is slightly grainy. Mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's fine. (376 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +22.2%

It pours a crystal clear straw gold body with a big-bubbled bright-white head that holds OK at first as it's buoyed by a streaming carbonation. The head dissipates within a minute or so to an average collar, and drops to nothing within a few more; although the bubbles continue to rise. Obviously, it leaves no lace. The nose displays some mildly sweet malt. The body is light/medium; and initially the fine, effervescent carbonation leaves it gently crisp in the mouth. It releases it gases quite readily, however, and soon becomes much smoother (although a bit dull). The flavor offers a soft, sweet malt (and an obvious use of adjunct as there's no real grain flavor) with a touch of apple-like fruitiness. The bitterness is limited. It finishes short and dry with a mild note of sweet malt. According to the importer, this is a lighter style beer that's brewed and marketed to the younger generation. It's meant to be fairly flavorless, unchallenging, and easy to drink. It is. (981 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from a large bottle into a small Hite drinking glass in a 'beef and leaf' joint in Itaewon-dong, Seoul, ROK. (My second was on the KAL flight from Incheon to Dulles.)

A: Pale clear yellow body, some visible carbonation. Small white head that fades fast.

S: Grainy malt with some hops. It smells like a lager.

T: Typically lager, but not as plain as an American lager. Hints of something floral. Grainy pale malt comes through a little, but not strong. Clean, but bland tasting. Slightly sweet aftertaste.

M: Watery and thin. Clean feel on the palate.

O: So it's made with rice, guess what...Korea is covered in the stuff, its the staple grain. That said, compared to the beers available worldwide, this is typical for a local staple beer in many countries. It wasn't bad, and frankly the flavor went well with the Korean BBQ, and I'd say was nearly perfect. Would I buy it here in the US? Nope. Would I drink it regular if I was in the ROK? Absolutely...if I had some 'beef and leaf' to eat with it. (1,011 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +22.2%

Acquired at Uwajimaya in Seattle the appearance is a pale yellow with a thin crisp head. Smell of slight adjuncts and not much else. Taste as good as it looks and smells, pretty watered down, but crisp. I'm not much for drinking beer when mowing the lawn, but this being crisp, light and clean on a warm day, I might go for it. (327 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +22.2%

This is my first review. I chose to rate this beer first because I recently moved to Korea. This beer is more common and almost as cheap as water; after drinking this consistently for about a month I have to say I'd rather drink water.

Since beer preferences are so subjective, its hard for me to objectively rate this beer as simply "good" or "bad". My preferences for beer are towards Bocks, Doppelbocks, and in the summer, Weisses so please keep that in mind.

App: What you would expect from a macrolager. Foamy head that dissipates in seconds into the pale, yellow body.
Sm: Is there a smell to this or do I have a cold?
Tas: Again, typical of what you would expect from an American macrolager. Hits the tongue quickly and leaves little aftertaste.
Mo: Light, carbonated.
Dri: Goes down easily but leaves you with a wicked hangover you didn't expect to have. (865 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours clear and watery with a flat head. Smells of tap water and barely some barley. Flavor is not bad, watery but surprisingly refreshing. If Bud Light wanted to improve, this would be the model. Typical mouthfeel of the factory plonk, but quite easy to drink a few of these. The perfect beer after a meal of kalbi and kimchi, but nothing to write home about. (360 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +20.5%

From a large bottle into a small Hite drinking glass at Old Village Korean Restaurant (or whatever it's called now) on Aurora Avenue, Seattle.

Pours a pale clear yellow with a 1-finger white head, moderate carb.

Aroma is faint floral hops and grainy malt.

Taste is surprisingly floral and clean, with some Kölsch-like qualities. Some grainy pale malt too. I haven't had a lager in a while but this isn't bad, nowhere as bad as other reviews indicate. If anything it's just watery and boring.

Mouthfeel is pretty watery and thin, as would be expected from a 4.5% adjunct lager.

Overall just an average AAL, after a long day of housework it went well with the bulgoki pot and pajeon. (687 characters)

2.71/5  rDev +13.4%

One of my frequent traders, tone77, dropped off some bottles for me the other day, having noticed that I am on a short CAN hiatus. Cool!

From the label: "Sound of Vitality; 100% non-pasteurized beer provides ultimate refreshment with fizzy and crisp taste." Stone is unworthy of this fizzy yellow beer!

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of foamy, fizzy bone-white head with low retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. With this, who needs x-ray specs? Hell, I could see into the future! Nose was the usual AAL mix of lager sweetness and whatever might have been handy at the time of the initial boil. Gadzooks. Samey same, no matter who whips it up or where. I could (almost) cut & paste future such reviews. Mouthfeel was medium, kind of fizzy, sort of crisp, not enough off to dun them for non-truth in advertising. The taste was rather bland, even for the style. Finish was slightly dry, which may have been to what they were referring with "crisp taste". Really, it was mostly bland and unobtrusive making this an exercise in wheel-spinning. It was better than a Minhas product, but I have had equally good or better domestic AALs. (1,169 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +12.1%

The beer pours a pale gold and has much carbonation. It has a bland beer aroma. It has a surprising light taste and is refreshing when served cold, especially on a hot summer day in Korea.

Cass was originally brewed in the now defunct Crown Brewery before is was bought by OB. (277 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Like all Korean beers, a hard pour of this light yellow lager simply cannot maintain its head and there is absoultely no lacing. Very dull. Very typical.

Smell: Weak but not too shabby. Better than Hite Prime, on par with OB and slightly below that of Hite Lager.

Taste: Sweet and mildly malty. Smooth aftertaste. Not bad for a mass-produced light beer. But still too watery, of course.

Mouthtaste: Korean beers are not heavily carbonated and you can drink a fair number of them, unless, of course, you mix them with soju or indulge in a boktanju (boilermaker) or two (or three).

Drinkabilty: Just a typical light beer. Not bad. Not good. I suggest drinking it with something spicy or salty. Perhaps best used, as one reviewer aptly put it (either in reference to Cass or Hite - it really doesn't make much of a difference), as a palate cleanser between bites of kimchi. (896 characters)

2.51/5  rDev +5%

Got the big 640 ml bottle from my local Korean market.

Poured into a pilsner glass, a clean light yellow with a fizzy thick head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Not much going on in the smell department. A little whiff of sweet corn, but mostly not much smell at all.

Taste is typical inoffensive macro-lager without much character, but I'd take a Miller High Life or a Japanese macro like Asahi over this given a choice.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and pretty fizzy, which makes up for the thin consistency. Mouthfeel is its best attribute.

Overall, it's drinkable, decent with food, is inoffensive, but there are a lot of macro lagers I'd pick over this, including other Korean ones. (712 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

"Enjoyed" in the International Terminal at Incheon airport, South Korea. Quite the international experience, as I had this as a complement to German-style sausages in a Japanese-theme restaurant, on my way from China to the US.

Appearance: Pale urine yellow color, with a finger of lively, dense, pure-snow-white foamy head. That foam had no retention, gone in 60 seconds (not a movie reference). Tiniest bits of lacing, which faded fast. Clear as an E-flat trumpet on a mountain top.

Smell: Ah, memories of freshman year. Corny, sweet, Bud-esque.

Taste: What taste there is reminds one of all those other American Adjunct Lagers that one should have avoided. A small amount of malt taste, balanced against essentially no hops.

Mouthfeel: This beer's best feature, if you like overcarbonated light beers. I don't. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Okay, this beer is really not quite awful. It goes fine with food; washed down my sausages just fine. It may be even better with spicy Korean dishes, but I don't think I'll find that out. Yikes, I go back through Incheon on my way back to China. I think I'll look for something else. (1,134 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +3.3%

Ho Lee Smoke Stacks (to not get so full of cursing swearing here). There I was, sitting in my Korean grocer, wanting my kimchi fix and there they still had on the shelves... Cass. Boy does this bring back memories. 17 years ago, this was much of what I drank in that beer wasteland I call South Korea. It was so not worth the time that it made Makkoli taste good, and make me discover the joys of DongDongJu in Pusan, and Soju on Taechon beach. Backpacking Soraksan and a 2002 World Cup later, how does this taste remain? We shall see, pouring this into a shaker pint (like it REALLY matters).

Appearance, boy.. an aggressive pour produces such a lifeless white head that it disintegrates into nothing flat just like I remember. WOW does this bring back memories sitting at the HOFs. Body color is extremely straw pale, it's PAST yellow, with some noticeable cola rising carbonation. Boy... I can't believe how incredibly LIGHT looking this beer is, far more so than I remember. Strangely it still manages to keep a thin collar.

Nose. What nose? I smell next to nothing on this. Faint malt but mostly just macro beer smelling lightness. Ironically it is not that offensive at all, but it barely even smells like beer. I don't find any faults either, perhaps cause they aren't really trying?? I call.... RIIIiiice!!!

Strangely after all that is said, the land of morning calm still wants to remind me of good times. Cloying slight syrup palate but strangely gives some depth. Palate fills mostly with a sugars but is strangely not that sweet. Finish is incredibly fast leaving nothing left to pick up. Wow, an unbelievably WET and watery finish on this beer, but not very carbonated either, which makes the beer lifeless in a strange way.

Overall, um, why did I buy this? Was it because I still have grand old joys of slumming in Taejon, or cavorting in Taegu and Kyongju? Stuffing my face with Po-sam and cheap beer? I'll remember the food more than anything, I think I'll skip the beer, nothing to see here folks.. move along. (2,031 characters)

2.44/5  rDev +2.1%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 27/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a big soapy bone white head that hangs around for a while leaving a few spots of lace

S not much on the nose just some rice cake and wet cardboard and just a little sweet malt

T more of the same really, but somehow there's more cardboard and there's a slight chemical flavor that's a step down from the nose

M watery and well carbonated, faint aftertaste doesn't last very long

O not overly offensive but not very good either, slightly off but still drinkable

one and done, glad I didn't need to buy 6 thanks for that Zyn (595 characters)

2.42/5  rDev +1.3%

11/08/04- Given to me by a friend to try.

Appearance- Pours a golden straw color with a absolutely huge head that quickly solidifies (maybe poured it a bit to fast). Zero lacing involved here.

Smell- Has a corn or rice scent. I need to hone my taste and scent skills obviously. Maybe some lemony scents also.

Taste- Tastes pretty much like a macro to me. Almost like Coors Light. Not impressed at all. A bit sweet which adds a bit to it.

Mouthfeel- Foamy and carbonated. Exactly like a Bud or Coors.

Drinkability- Not for me. Not horrible, but no where remotely good. My friend can keep the rest. (611 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle - nice sharp-looking ice imagery on the label, which also promotes a 'fizzy and crisp taste' - um, ok.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw colour, with two fat fingers of puffy and thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some drowning cityscape lace around the glass as it hastily settles.

It smells of semi-sweet corn mush, a weaker pale graininess, nail polish, wet cardboard, and a soft weedy grassiness. The taste is more sweet, syrupy corn, um, syrup, and shamed barley malt, a certain medicinal astringency, way too stale lemon flesh, and some equally less than enthralling generic weedy dryness.

The carbonation is fairly sedate, as barely a plain frothiness arises, the body quite light in weight, and generally smooth, surprisingly enough, but with a certain cloying caveat. It finishes well off-dry, the cheap corniness unfortunately still the star of this particular gong show, doing its darnedest to put its best (and worst) foot forward.

While neither 'fizzy' (good, but really?) nor 'crisp', as the label proclaims, this is not nearly as bad as I was expecting - plain, sure, but no skunk or skank is evident, just a so-so low-brow Asian corn-fed lager - the kind where cost, ubiquity (on its home turf, I'm sure), and hot weather are its main selling points. (1,309 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A bit of a citrus aftertaste, however it went flat very quick once opened and poured into a Sam Adams Glass. For a beer to help cool down instead of coke on a warm day by the pool it would do the trick but would really need to be followed by a good ale. (253 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -3.8%

A: crystal clear straw liquid with a small white foam cap. Lots of rising carbonation, but the beer wasn't so foamy that it ran the risk of overflowing in my pint glass. Patchy lacing.

S: doesn't smell too sweet, just some corn and some grassy grains (or possibly hops).

T: Big corn flavor that finishes with sweetness and Band-aids. Some pale grains can be tasted at first, but the big finish dominates the flavor profile.

M: although the beer has a watery body, there is a thick coating that makes Cass feel fuller than it actually is. Carbonation
Evens are high. There is enough film on my lips that I just unconsciously wiped them clean before writing this sentence.

O: there is nothing overwhelming enough about this beer to make me choose it over an American made adjunct lager. I prefer my homebrew made in this style. I think the only time I would order this one again is if it was the only option at a Korean restaurant and I needed something other than water to go with my food. (997 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -4.2%

The stupid ex-pat joke about the "Big 3" Korean beers is that you get their tastes when you take a letter from the name of one, add a letter to another and switch the letters..Cass, Hite, and OB respectively, by the way.
"Sound of Vitality" is boldly emblazoned in English on the label..not exactly sure what that means. Cass isn't one to buck Korean tradition; its look and smell is pure Bud/Miller territory..pale gold and subpar graininess. I did detect a citrus thing as well but it didn't last.
Despite otherwise being forgetable (and this could just be subliminal) but in a vague way, the beer did have a mysterious "fresh" flavor. Otherwise, US Macro time. Mouthfeel is also nothing special.
A cut above The Hite but otherwise not even average. (757 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -5%

Having poured myself a glass of this before checking any of its vitals on BA, I am not at all surprised to see that it is adjunct lager. Aroma is reminiscent of Budweiser, and generally of what I subsisted on during college. After it has sat in the glass for a few minutes, there is hardly any smell at all.

Exceedingly pale yellow, clearly well carbonated, with many many streams of bubbles continuously active and visible.

That carbonation seems to comprise most of both this beer's flavor and feel. Indistinct grains. I feel as if I'm drinking a piece of Wonder Bread that is heavily cut with carbonated water. I'll give it credit for a fleeting bit of hops at the end. Of course, it does go down very easy, outside of the fact that it simply is not a good beer. (767 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -7.9%

Saw this bottle at a store and again at the airport on Sakhalin Island on the Russian pacific coast. Comes in a 33cl brown bottle with an utterly uninspired white, silver and blue label including information in English and Russian (not Korean). Ingredients conform to the purity law. I couldn't find the freshness stamp.

Pours a standard clear deep gold with a very thin white head that is gone without a trace almost instantaneously. The nose is quite malty, but just a touch moldy, too. The mouth is very prickly and slightly thick. The taste is grainy, with corn notes. There's really nothing to the finish, and definitely not aftertaste. Like the label, this beer is plain and uninspired. (695 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast