Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cass Fresh - Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 03-01-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

Flat and chemical. I have tried it on tap, in a can, a plastic bottle they call a pitcher, and a bottle...I have even drank this out of a 2 inch paper cup! It's not good...

There is a reason this beer is widely unavailable in America (accept large cities with a lot of Koreans), it is because it is terrible! I lived in Korea for 3 years and I would go out of my way to avoid this. Lucky for me they imported MGD and Budweiser (which I never drink in the States). MGD was smooth and refreshing compared to this beer. Korea does not have a strong beer culture like western countries, so they don't have a lot of good beers available. When they do, they are quite expensive. This beer--along with Hite--are terrible and should be avoided at all costs. If you visit Korea for vacation, sure, try them for the novelty. But, if you have to live there, good luck finding inexpensive good beers. (889 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -43.6%

this is very awfull.

pours a very pale yellow-white, with a very thin white head, and no lacing.

smell is weak, grain, some corn.

taste is water, weak grain, somewhat sweet, end is awfull.

overall this is one of the worst beers, had it at O'Kims in Busan, South Korea. (272 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -40.7%

No taste at all, fizzy, labelled as 4.5% alcohol, so I guess it has a kick after a few. But after one, I just wanted a beer with some taste, glad I only bought a 6-pack! (169 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -37.3%

12oz bottle at Blue Bella Korean restaurant (while waiting for a table @ Gu with Garlic). Clear dull pale straw. Metalic hop and sweet malt nose. Taste is sweet corn, metalic hops. Pretty terrible. (197 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale golden colour with white fizzy head that sinks dramatically and noisily. Lots of interesting carbonation in the brew; smaller, slower bubbles through the middle and larger, quickly gushing ones up the side. Because of perspective it looks like I'm going past on a train. I'm glad I'm intrigued by this visual effect, because otherwise there's nothing even remotely interesting about this.

Nose is fairly pungent with a sticky rice aroma and a hint of buttery malt, slight grassy edge from the hops, weak and takes on a bit of the carbonation smell as well. Not very effective, pretty much a nothing nose.

Taste is...well, poor. Horrible sticky sweetness with a rice grain lightness, a raw sugar kind of flavour and a hint of diacetyl. Bread yeast character hiding underneath as well gives this a real chunky kind of sweetness which lingers unwelcomely, although thankfully not for that long. While the flavour as a whole is insipid and weak, palate is short with no finish at all - it's clean though I guess, which is a blessing.

Mouthfeel is such a letdown after that interesting bubbling. Thin and flat, totally uninspiring. This is a beer best enjoyed by proxy: give it to someone else and laugh at them. (1,223 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -30.9%

Yet another oriental beer from the beverage Warehouse.

Pours an ultra clear yellow beer with a snow-white head.

Smell is almost nonexistent, just some cooked vegetables and a faint alcohol scent, that is all.

Taste is not much, a bit of sweetness and a little herbal hop. The flavor is very much like a Michelob Ultra.

Mouthfeel is water.

This isn't disgusting but it is like drinking carbonated water and is a kissing cousin to the next closest water like beer I know of the dreaded Michelob Ultra.

AVOID THIS! (529 characters)

South Korea does not proclaim to be a beer Mecca, neither does it harbour many wine enthusiasts (the sweeter the better). Likewise, coffee is an unpretentious beverage only to be enjoyed with a mountain of sugar. Simply, they do not fully understand the westerner's abstract pursuit of connoisseurship. God knows I've tried to enlighten my Korean friends but their hastiness to alter (butcher) western culinary marvels and their propensity to completely misinterpret western sensibilities only makes them more loveable. It must be said that Korean cuisine is quite special and soju gets you trollied for next to nothing. Anyway, Cass Fresh is possibly the best of a bad bunch so I'll try not to be too harsh with it.

S: Crickey! Swirling it around I get a strong whiff of pond silt.

T: Soft bitterness on back of the tongue. Metallicy malt but not harsh. Fizzy. Kind of clean.

O: Very similar to Bud. Easy to drink. (919 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -14%

Pours one finger of head on a clear light gold colored body. Low head retention.
The aroma is metallic, adjunct grain and lemon. Not good.
The taste is boldly metallic and watery.
The texture is quite fizzy with a thin and crisp body.
This beer is completely not enjoyable. (273 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -13.6%

I tried this little offering in a Korean restaurant in Box Hill, an Asian enclave in suburban melbourne.
There were a number of Korean beers on tap, of which this was the first names.
Having established that our very friendly Korean waitress had only a slightly better grasp of the english language than I do of the Korean language (which is nil), we seemed to expend most of our quality communications on getting a roughish idea of the food we were to eat(which was quite enjoyable), so I thought it may be somewhat hopeful to have a full and frank discussion on the virtues of the korean Brewing Industry.
Had we done so , I m sure the comely waitress would have suggested that the Cass Fresh is not the greatest of beer options in this world.Whilst looking Pale and efffervescent the head quickly died , leaving a dull lifeless corny cardboard liquid for me to taste.
This is a "cold filtered" offering and as such has had that unique proces remove any beer flavour and replace it with the 'cold filtered ' flavour, which from all accounts is popular amongst the younger , more impressionable mebrs of Society.
The label is interesting in that it offers such gems as
Cass- the sound of Vitality
and the beer hasbeen brewed to have a fizzy and crisp taste.
Well it is an avoidable beer.
I hope it is not the best the koreans get to drink though (1,356 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -11.4%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

No one's gettin' fat 'cept this beer. It pours a clear jaundice topped by a subsequently ironically healthy finger or so of white froth. The nose comprises corn syrup, corn, wheat, grass, aluminum, and hard water. The taste sees the grains get burnt, the grass get wet, and the aluminum intensify. No thank you. The body is light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a sad beer, really, one I don't ever want to have again. (489 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -11%

A - Pale straw colour, foamy white head with zero retention and no lacing.

S - Faint corn and lemon.

T - Just typical macro beer really. Corn, bit of lemon, some grain.

M - Thin and highly carbonated.

O - Not the worst lager in the world. It wasn't skunky, but just a bland drink. Fine for a summers afternoon after mowing the lawn. (336 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -10.6%

Arrived at the Asiana Airlines Business Class lounge at Incheon (Seoul) airport at 0400 local time with 8 hours between a flight from Chicago and the connecting flight to Taipei. I'll give Asiana props here for putting a locally brewed beer on tap, rather than one of the usual international macro-lager suspects. Not knowing what other local options exist, I don't know if they could have done better. Not much room on the downside, though.

Self-poured the beer at the beverage counter. About half foam, which I'll blame on a tap that no one ever bothered to balance properly. Resulting head was coarse-bubbled and took a couple of minutes to settle down and vanish. Lacing? What lacing? The beverage underneath was a crystal-clear straw yellow, so I rolled back my expectations accordingly. Did the Dutch teach everyone along the east coast of Asia how to clone Heineken?

A little bit of inoffensive white-bread aroma, hops are MIA here. Flavor was OK. Nothing done particularly great, but nothing gone too wrong, which would have been glaringly obvious since any faults would only have a wimpy malt body and just enough balancing utilitarian hop bitterness to hide behind. Body is the typical light adjunct lager, which leads to the high point of the scoring here, as this is quite drinkable in the same way water is. It's only the lack of any interesting flavors that will eventually bore you enough to slow down.

Overall, this is yet another light Asian lager, indistinguishable from its brethren. It will help you cool down on those hot humid days, of which this region has plenty, and unlike the water, a traveler won't have to boil it first.

On my way back to Chicago, I'll pass through Incheon again, but with only 45 minutes to spare between flights. I might be a bit nervous about that first flight getting delayed, but I won't be sad that I might miss another chance to sample this beer. (1,903 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

Another in the long line of tasteless no frills attack the masses and score a profit. Hey! good for them but not for me. Fizzy head that leaves no evidence in a matter of seconds. Pale to almost colorless with a light yellow shade, crystal clear. Grainy and crisp and somewhat refreshing but it would be hard to even session this beer as there is nothing to keep your interest. No complexity to speak of.

This is a timid brew that I found at beverage warehouse. I'm surprised they are importing this across the ocean at 4.5% and tons of competition. Ehhhh I'll pass. (570 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

Saw this bottle at a store and again at the airport on Sakhalin Island on the Russian pacific coast. Comes in a 33cl brown bottle with an utterly uninspired white, silver and blue label including information in English and Russian (not Korean). Ingredients conform to the purity law. I couldn't find the freshness stamp.

Pours a standard clear deep gold with a very thin white head that is gone without a trace almost instantaneously. The nose is quite malty, but just a touch moldy, too. The mouth is very prickly and slightly thick. The taste is grainy, with corn notes. There's really nothing to the finish, and definitely not aftertaste. Like the label, this beer is plain and uninspired. (695 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Having poured myself a glass of this before checking any of its vitals on BA, I am not at all surprised to see that it is adjunct lager. Aroma is reminiscent of Budweiser, and generally of what I subsisted on during college. After it has sat in the glass for a few minutes, there is hardly any smell at all.

Exceedingly pale yellow, clearly well carbonated, with many many streams of bubbles continuously active and visible.

That carbonation seems to comprise most of both this beer's flavor and feel. Indistinct grains. I feel as if I'm drinking a piece of Wonder Bread that is heavily cut with carbonated water. I'll give it credit for a fleeting bit of hops at the end. Of course, it does go down very easy, outside of the fact that it simply is not a good beer. (767 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -3%

The stupid ex-pat joke about the "Big 3" Korean beers is that you get their tastes when you take a letter from the name of one, add a letter to another and switch the letters..Cass, Hite, and OB respectively, by the way.
"Sound of Vitality" is boldly emblazoned in English on the label..not exactly sure what that means. Cass isn't one to buck Korean tradition; its look and smell is pure Bud/Miller territory..pale gold and subpar graininess. I did detect a citrus thing as well but it didn't last.
Despite otherwise being forgetable (and this could just be subliminal) but in a vague way, the beer did have a mysterious "fresh" flavor. Otherwise, US Macro time. Mouthfeel is also nothing special.
A cut above The Hite but otherwise not even average. (757 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%

A: crystal clear straw liquid with a small white foam cap. Lots of rising carbonation, but the beer wasn't so foamy that it ran the risk of overflowing in my pint glass. Patchy lacing.

S: doesn't smell too sweet, just some corn and some grassy grains (or possibly hops).

T: Big corn flavor that finishes with sweetness and Band-aids. Some pale grains can be tasted at first, but the big finish dominates the flavor profile.

M: although the beer has a watery body, there is a thick coating that makes Cass feel fuller than it actually is. Carbonation
Evens are high. There is enough film on my lips that I just unconsciously wiped them clean before writing this sentence.

O: there is nothing overwhelming enough about this beer to make me choose it over an American made adjunct lager. I prefer my homebrew made in this style. I think the only time I would order this one again is if it was the only option at a Korean restaurant and I needed something other than water to go with my food. (997 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Best by 12/4/15.

Pours a clear light golden-yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, sweetened corn flake, and fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with grain, earth, grass, and plastic flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that smells somewhat decent, but there is a distinct plastic flavor that dominates and makes this one hard to drink much of.

Serving type: bottle. (666 characters)

2.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A bit of a citrus aftertaste, however it went flat very quick once opened and poured into a Sam Adams Glass. For a beer to help cool down instead of coke on a warm day by the pool it would do the trick but would really need to be followed by a good ale. (253 characters)

2.38/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle - nice sharp-looking ice imagery on the label, which also promotes a 'fizzy and crisp taste' - um, ok.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw colour, with two fat fingers of puffy and thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some drowning cityscape lace around the glass as it hastily settles.

It smells of semi-sweet corn mush, a weaker pale graininess, nail polish, wet cardboard, and a soft weedy grassiness. The taste is more sweet, syrupy corn, um, syrup, and shamed barley malt, a certain medicinal astringency, way too stale lemon flesh, and some equally less than enthralling generic weedy dryness.

The carbonation is fairly sedate, as barely a plain frothiness arises, the body quite light in weight, and generally smooth, surprisingly enough, but with a certain cloying caveat. It finishes well off-dry, the cheap corniness unfortunately still the star of this particular gong show, doing its darnedest to put its best (and worst) foot forward.

While neither 'fizzy' (good, but really?) nor 'crisp', as the label proclaims, this is not nearly as bad as I was expecting - plain, sure, but no skunk or skank is evident, just a so-so low-brow Asian corn-fed lager - the kind where cost, ubiquity (on its home turf, I'm sure), and hot weather are its main selling points. (1,309 characters)

2.42/5  rDev +2.5%

11/08/04- Given to me by a friend to try.

Appearance- Pours a golden straw color with a absolutely huge head that quickly solidifies (maybe poured it a bit to fast). Zero lacing involved here.

Smell- Has a corn or rice scent. I need to hone my taste and scent skills obviously. Maybe some lemony scents also.

Taste- Tastes pretty much like a macro to me. Almost like Coors Light. Not impressed at all. A bit sweet which adds a bit to it.

Mouthfeel- Foamy and carbonated. Exactly like a Bud or Coors.

Drinkability- Not for me. Not horrible, but no where remotely good. My friend can keep the rest. (611 characters)

2.44/5  rDev +3.4%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 27/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a big soapy bone white head that hangs around for a while leaving a few spots of lace

S not much on the nose just some rice cake and wet cardboard and just a little sweet malt

T more of the same really, but somehow there's more cardboard and there's a slight chemical flavor that's a step down from the nose

M watery and well carbonated, faint aftertaste doesn't last very long

O not overly offensive but not very good either, slightly off but still drinkable

one and done, glad I didn't need to buy 6 thanks for that Zyn (595 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Ho Lee Smoke Stacks (to not get so full of cursing swearing here). There I was, sitting in my Korean grocer, wanting my kimchi fix and there they still had on the shelves... Cass. Boy does this bring back memories. 17 years ago, this was much of what I drank in that beer wasteland I call South Korea. It was so not worth the time that it made Makkoli taste good, and make me discover the joys of DongDongJu in Pusan, and Soju on Taechon beach. Backpacking Soraksan and a 2002 World Cup later, how does this taste remain? We shall see, pouring this into a shaker pint (like it REALLY matters).

Appearance, boy.. an aggressive pour produces such a lifeless white head that it disintegrates into nothing flat just like I remember. WOW does this bring back memories sitting at the HOFs. Body color is extremely straw pale, it's PAST yellow, with some noticeable cola rising carbonation. Boy... I can't believe how incredibly LIGHT looking this beer is, far more so than I remember. Strangely it still manages to keep a thin collar.

Nose. What nose? I smell next to nothing on this. Faint malt but mostly just macro beer smelling lightness. Ironically it is not that offensive at all, but it barely even smells like beer. I don't find any faults either, perhaps cause they aren't really trying?? I call.... RIIIiiice!!!

Strangely after all that is said, the land of morning calm still wants to remind me of good times. Cloying slight syrup palate but strangely gives some depth. Palate fills mostly with a sugars but is strangely not that sweet. Finish is incredibly fast leaving nothing left to pick up. Wow, an unbelievably WET and watery finish on this beer, but not very carbonated either, which makes the beer lifeless in a strange way.

Overall, um, why did I buy this? Was it because I still have grand old joys of slumming in Taejon, or cavorting in Taegu and Kyongju? Stuffing my face with Po-sam and cheap beer? I'll remember the food more than anything, I think I'll skip the beer, nothing to see here folks.. move along. (2,031 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +5.1%

"Enjoyed" in the International Terminal at Incheon airport, South Korea. Quite the international experience, as I had this as a complement to German-style sausages in a Japanese-theme restaurant, on my way from China to the US.

Appearance: Pale urine yellow color, with a finger of lively, dense, pure-snow-white foamy head. That foam had no retention, gone in 60 seconds (not a movie reference). Tiniest bits of lacing, which faded fast. Clear as an E-flat trumpet on a mountain top.

Smell: Ah, memories of freshman year. Corny, sweet, Bud-esque.

Taste: What taste there is reminds one of all those other American Adjunct Lagers that one should have avoided. A small amount of malt taste, balanced against essentially no hops.

Mouthfeel: This beer's best feature, if you like overcarbonated light beers. I don't. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Okay, this beer is really not quite awful. It goes fine with food; washed down my sausages just fine. It may be even better with spicy Korean dishes, but I don't think I'll find that out. Yikes, I go back through Incheon on my way back to China. I think I'll look for something else. (1,134 characters)

2.51/5  rDev +6.4%

Got the big 640 ml bottle from my local Korean market.

Poured into a pilsner glass, a clean light yellow with a fizzy thick head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Not much going on in the smell department. A little whiff of sweet corn, but mostly not much smell at all.

Taste is typical inoffensive macro-lager without much character, but I'd take a Miller High Life or a Japanese macro like Asahi over this given a choice.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and pretty fizzy, which makes up for the thin consistency. Mouthfeel is its best attribute.

Overall, it's drinkable, decent with food, is inoffensive, but there are a lot of macro lagers I'd pick over this, including other Korean ones. (712 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast