Cass Fresh - Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd

Cass FreshCass Fresh

awful

Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 03-01-2003)
Nate

JasPAr

02-27-2012 00:40:23 | More by JasPAr
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

South Korea does not proclaim to be a beer Mecca, neither does it harbour many wine enthusiasts (the sweeter the better). Likewise, coffee is an unpretentious beverage only to be enjoyed with a mountain of sugar. Simply, they do not fully understand the westerner's abstract pursuit of connoisseurship. God knows I've tried to enlighten my Korean friends but their hastiness to alter (butcher) western culinary marvels and their propensity to completely misinterpret western sensibilities only makes them more loveable. It must be said that Korean cuisine is quite special and soju gets you trollied for next to nothing. Anyway, Cass Fresh is possibly the best of a bad bunch so I'll try not to be too harsh with it.

S: Crickey! Swirling it around I get a strong whiff of pond silt.

T: Soft bitterness on back of the tongue. Metallicy malt but not harsh. Fizzy. Kind of clean.

O: Very similar to Bud. Easy to drink.

02-25-2012 18:08:42 | More by Hoppsbabo

01-14-2012 00:26:46 | More by electtodefer
smakawhat

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

Ho Lee Smoke Stacks (to not get so full of cursing swearing here). There I was, sitting in my Korean grocer, wanting my kimchi fix and there they still had on the shelves... Cass. Boy does this bring back memories. 17 years ago, this was much of what I drank in that beer wasteland I call South Korea. It was so not worth the time that it made Makkoli taste good, and make me discover the joys of DongDongJu in Pusan, and Soju on Taechon beach. Backpacking Soraksan and a 2002 World Cup later, how does this taste remain? We shall see, pouring this into a shaker pint (like it REALLY matters).

Appearance, boy.. an aggressive pour produces such a lifeless white head that it disintegrates into nothing flat just like I remember. WOW does this bring back memories sitting at the HOFs. Body color is extremely straw pale, it's PAST yellow, with some noticeable cola rising carbonation. Boy... I can't believe how incredibly LIGHT looking this beer is, far more so than I remember. Strangely it still manages to keep a thin collar.

Nose. What nose? I smell next to nothing on this. Faint malt but mostly just macro beer smelling lightness. Ironically it is not that offensive at all, but it barely even smells like beer. I don't find any faults either, perhaps cause they aren't really trying?? I call.... RIIIiiice!!!

Strangely after all that is said, the land of morning calm still wants to remind me of good times. Cloying slight syrup palate but strangely gives some depth. Palate fills mostly with a sugars but is strangely not that sweet. Finish is incredibly fast leaving nothing left to pick up. Wow, an unbelievably WET and watery finish on this beer, but not very carbonated either, which makes the beer lifeless in a strange way.

Overall, um, why did I buy this? Was it because I still have grand old joys of slumming in Taejon, or cavorting in Taegu and Kyongju? Stuffing my face with Po-sam and cheap beer? I'll remember the food more than anything, I think I'll skip the beer, nothing to see here folks.. move along.

01-05-2012 04:56:47 | More by smakawhat
dansmcd

Australia

2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Pale straw colour, foamy white head with zero retention and no lacing.

S - Faint corn and lemon.

T - Just typical macro beer really. Corn, bit of lemon, some grain.

M - Thin and highly carbonated.

O - Not the worst lager in the world. It wasn't skunky, but just a bland drink. Fine for a summers afternoon after mowing the lawn.

12-03-2011 14:23:34 | More by dansmcd

11-15-2011 23:40:08 | More by LoveBeerNo7
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

330ml bottle - nice sharp-looking ice imagery on the label, which also promotes a 'fizzy and crisp taste' - um, ok.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw colour, with two fat fingers of puffy and thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some drowning cityscape lace around the glass as it hastily settles.

It smells of semi-sweet corn mush, a weaker pale graininess, nail polish, wet cardboard, and a soft weedy grassiness. The taste is more sweet, syrupy corn, um, syrup, and shamed barley malt, a certain medicinal astringency, way too stale lemon flesh, and some equally less than enthralling generic weedy dryness.

The carbonation is fairly sedate, as barely a plain frothiness arises, the body quite light in weight, and generally smooth, surprisingly enough, but with a certain cloying caveat. It finishes well off-dry, the cheap corniness unfortunately still the star of this particular gong show, doing its darnedest to put its best (and worst) foot forward.

While neither 'fizzy' (good, but really?) nor 'crisp', as the label proclaims, this is not nearly as bad as I was expecting - plain, sure, but no skunk or skank is evident, just a so-so low-brow Asian corn-fed lager - the kind where cost, ubiquity (on its home turf, I'm sure), and hot weather are its main selling points.

09-09-2011 01:43:02 | More by biboergosum
dbaker61

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

"Enjoyed" in the International Terminal at Incheon airport, South Korea. Quite the international experience, as I had this as a complement to German-style sausages in a Japanese-theme restaurant, on my way from China to the US.

Appearance: Pale urine yellow color, with a finger of lively, dense, pure-snow-white foamy head. That foam had no retention, gone in 60 seconds (not a movie reference). Tiniest bits of lacing, which faded fast. Clear as an E-flat trumpet on a mountain top.

Smell: Ah, memories of freshman year. Corny, sweet, Bud-esque.

Taste: What taste there is reminds one of all those other American Adjunct Lagers that one should have avoided. A small amount of malt taste, balanced against essentially no hops.

Mouthfeel: This beer's best feature, if you like overcarbonated light beers. I don't. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Okay, this beer is really not quite awful. It goes fine with food; washed down my sausages just fine. It may be even better with spicy Korean dishes, but I don't think I'll find that out. Yikes, I go back through Incheon on my way back to China. I think I'll look for something else.

07-30-2011 16:05:34 | More by dbaker61
JamnesCameron

Poured in a short tumbler in Korea. Pours a very pale straw, with a stark white, fizzy head. The head drops almost immediately. Fizzy carbonation persists.

Aromas of grainy, sweet malt. Very light earthy hop aroma.

Flavors of extremely light malt flavor, little to no hop flavor. Big carbonic bite. Some corn flavor as it warms up a bit. Finish is short and grainy.

Mouthfeel is light, fizzy, heavy carbonation prickle on the tongue.

Overall not a bad beer for what it is. Refreshing, not offensive or aggressive. Doesn't try to be something it's not (even claims to be fizzy on the can).

07-14-2011 11:15:08 | More by JamnesCameron
watchnerd

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

Got the big 640 ml bottle from my local Korean market.

Poured into a pilsner glass, a clean light yellow with a fizzy thick head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Not much going on in the smell department. A little whiff of sweet corn, but mostly not much smell at all.

Taste is typical inoffensive macro-lager without much character, but I'd take a Miller High Life or a Japanese macro like Asahi over this given a choice.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and pretty fizzy, which makes up for the thin consistency. Mouthfeel is its best attribute.

Overall, it's drinkable, decent with food, is inoffensive, but there are a lot of macro lagers I'd pick over this, including other Korean ones.

06-07-2011 03:30:09 | More by watchnerd
Wegomlegging

2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours clear and watery with a flat head. Smells of tap water and barely some barley. Flavor is not bad, watery but surprisingly refreshing. If Bud Light wanted to improve, this would be the model. Typical mouthfeel of the factory plonk, but quite easy to drink a few of these. The perfect beer after a meal of kalbi and kimchi, but nothing to write home about.

02-17-2011 04:19:11 | More by Wegomlegging
woodychandler

2.68/5  rDev +14%

One of my frequent traders, tone77, dropped off some bottles for me the other day, having noticed that I am on a short CAN hiatus. Cool!

From the label: "Sound of Vitality; 100% non-pasteurized beer provides ultimate refreshment with fizzy and crisp taste." Stone is unworthy of this fizzy yellow beer!

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of foamy, fizzy bone-white head with low retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. With this, who needs x-ray specs? Hell, I could see into the future! Nose was the usual AAL mix of lager sweetness and whatever might have been handy at the time of the initial boil. Gadzooks. Samey same, no matter who whips it up or where. I could (almost) cut & paste future such reviews. Mouthfeel was medium, kind of fizzy, sort of crisp, not enough off to dun them for non-truth in advertising. The taste was rather bland, even for the style. Finish was slightly dry, which may have been to what they were referring with "crisp taste". Really, it was mostly bland and unobtrusive making this an exercise in wheel-spinning. It was better than a Minhas product, but I have had equally good or better domestic AALs.

12-12-2010 16:37:02 | More by woodychandler
TMoney2591

2.05/5  rDev -12.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

No one's gettin' fat 'cept this beer. It pours a clear jaundice topped by a subsequently ironically healthy finger or so of white froth. The nose comprises corn syrup, corn, wheat, grass, aluminum, and hard water. The taste sees the grains get burnt, the grass get wet, and the aluminum intensify. No thank you. The body is light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a sad beer, really, one I don't ever want to have again.

12-06-2010 06:35:59 | More by TMoney2591
tone77

3.15/5  rDev +34%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some hints of corn. Taste is also a bit on the sweet side. Some corn and grains, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a very mediocre beer.

09-26-2010 13:36:11 | More by tone77
MillRat

2.13/5  rDev -9.4%

Arrived at the Asiana Airlines Business Class lounge at Incheon (Seoul) airport at 0400 local time with 8 hours between a flight from Chicago and the connecting flight to Taipei. I'll give Asiana props here for putting a locally brewed beer on tap, rather than one of the usual international macro-lager suspects. Not knowing what other local options exist, I don't know if they could have done better. Not much room on the downside, though.

Self-poured the beer at the beverage counter. About half foam, which I'll blame on a tap that no one ever bothered to balance properly. Resulting head was coarse-bubbled and took a couple of minutes to settle down and vanish. Lacing? What lacing? The beverage underneath was a crystal-clear straw yellow, so I rolled back my expectations accordingly. Did the Dutch teach everyone along the east coast of Asia how to clone Heineken?

A little bit of inoffensive white-bread aroma, hops are MIA here. Flavor was OK. Nothing done particularly great, but nothing gone too wrong, which would have been glaringly obvious since any faults would only have a wimpy malt body and just enough balancing utilitarian hop bitterness to hide behind. Body is the typical light adjunct lager, which leads to the high point of the scoring here, as this is quite drinkable in the same way water is. It's only the lack of any interesting flavors that will eventually bore you enough to slow down.

Overall, this is yet another light Asian lager, indistinguishable from its brethren. It will help you cool down on those hot humid days, of which this region has plenty, and unlike the water, a traveler won't have to boil it first.

On my way back to Chicago, I'll pass through Incheon again, but with only 45 minutes to spare between flights. I might be a bit nervous about that first flight getting delayed, but I won't be sad that I might miss another chance to sample this beer.

07-16-2010 11:19:28 | More by MillRat
TheMistler

District of Columbia

2.28/5  rDev -3%

Having poured myself a glass of this before checking any of its vitals on BA, I am not at all surprised to see that it is adjunct lager. Aroma is reminiscent of Budweiser, and generally of what I subsisted on during college. After it has sat in the glass for a few minutes, there is hardly any smell at all.

Exceedingly pale yellow, clearly well carbonated, with many many streams of bubbles continuously active and visible.

That carbonation seems to comprise most of both this beer's flavor and feel. Indistinct grains. I feel as if I'm drinking a piece of Wonder Bread that is heavily cut with carbonated water. I'll give it credit for a fleeting bit of hops at the end. Of course, it does go down very easy, outside of the fact that it simply is not a good beer.

05-31-2010 04:30:27 | More by TheMistler
soju6

Missouri

2.73/5  rDev +16.2%

The beer pours a pale gold and has much carbonation. It has a bland beer aroma. It has a surprising light taste and is refreshing when served cold, especially on a hot summer day in Korea.

Cass was originally brewed in the now defunct Crown Brewery before is was bought by OB.

03-13-2010 15:04:44 | More by soju6
jhtipton

Spain

Notice my average marks. Yep, just average. For the most part I never met a beer I didn't like and when dining out on the economy in Korea this is probably the best choice to go with your spicy barbecue and soju. Appearance is typical of any mainstream domestic beer. I did enjoy the fact it was served in a 3 liter pitcher which made for a nice session beer.

01-01-2010 11:38:52 | More by jhtipton
KatieCorwin

2.95/5  rDev +25.5%

This is my first review. I chose to rate this beer first because I recently moved to Korea. This beer is more common and almost as cheap as water; after drinking this consistently for about a month I have to say I'd rather drink water.

Since beer preferences are so subjective, its hard for me to objectively rate this beer as simply "good" or "bad". My preferences for beer are towards Bocks, Doppelbocks, and in the summer, Weisses so please keep that in mind.

App: What you would expect from a macrolager. Foamy head that dissipates in seconds into the pale, yellow body.
Sm: Is there a smell to this or do I have a cold?
Tas: Again, typical of what you would expect from an American macrolager. Hits the tongue quickly and leaves little aftertaste.
Mo: Light, carbonated.
Dri: Goes down easily but leaves you with a wicked hangover you didn't expect to have.

12-25-2009 11:09:11 | More by KatieCorwin