Cass Fresh - Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd

awful

Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd visit their website
Korea (South)

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 03-01-2003)

2.75/5  rDev +20.1%

2.9/5  rDev +26.6%

From a large bottle into a small Hite drinking glass at Old Village Korean Restaurant (or whatever it's called now) on Aurora Avenue, Seattle.

Pours a pale clear yellow with a 1-finger white head, moderate carb.

Aroma is faint floral hops and grainy malt.

Taste is surprisingly floral and clean, with some Kölsch-like qualities. Some grainy pale malt too. I haven't had a lager in a while but this isn't bad, nowhere as bad as other reviews indicate. If anything it's just watery and boring.

Mouthfeel is pretty watery and thin, as would be expected from a 4.5% adjunct lager.

Overall just an average AAL, after a long day of housework it went well with the bulgoki pot and pajeon.

2.4/5  rDev +4.8%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 27/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a big soapy bone white head that hangs around for a while leaving a few spots of lace

S not much on the nose just some rice cake and wet cardboard and just a little sweet malt

T more of the same really, but somehow there's more cardboard and there's a slight chemical flavor that's a step down from the nose

M watery and well carbonated, faint aftertaste doesn't last very long

O not overly offensive but not very good either, slightly off but still drinkable

one and done, glad I didn't need to buy 6 thanks for that Zyn

1.03/5  rDev -55%

Flat and chemical. I have tried it on tap, in a can, a plastic bottle they call a pitcher, and a bottle...I have even drank this out of a 2 inch paper cup! It's not good...

There is a reason this beer is widely unavailable in America (accept large cities with a lot of Koreans), it is because it is terrible! I lived in Korea for 3 years and I would go out of my way to avoid this. Lucky for me they imported MGD and Budweiser (which I never drink in the States). MGD was smooth and refreshing compared to this beer. Korea does not have a strong beer culture like western countries, so they don't have a lot of good beers available. When they do, they are quite expensive. This beer--along with Hite--are terrible and should be avoided at all costs. If you visit Korea for vacation, sure, try them for the novelty. But, if you have to live there, good luck finding inexpensive good beers.

1.25/5  rDev -45.4%

2.25/5  rDev -1.7%

A: crystal clear straw liquid with a small white foam cap. Lots of rising carbonation, but the beer wasn't so foamy that it ran the risk of overflowing in my pint glass. Patchy lacing.

S: doesn't smell too sweet, just some corn and some grassy grains (or possibly hops).

T: Big corn flavor that finishes with sweetness and Band-aids. Some pale grains can be tasted at first, but the big finish dominates the flavor profile.

M: although the beer has a watery body, there is a thick coating that makes Cass feel fuller than it actually is. Carbonation
Evens are high. There is enough film on my lips that I just unconsciously wiped them clean before writing this sentence.

O: there is nothing overwhelming enough about this beer to make me choose it over an American made adjunct lager. I prefer my homebrew made in this style. I think the only time I would order this one again is if it was the only option at a Korean restaurant and I needed something other than water to go with my food.

2.25/5  rDev -1.7%

South Korea does not proclaim to be a beer Mecca, neither does it harbour many wine enthusiasts (the sweeter the better). Likewise, coffee is an unpretentious beverage only to be enjoyed with a mountain of sugar. Simply, they do not fully understand the westerner's abstract pursuit of connoisseurship. God knows I've tried to enlighten my Korean friends but their hastiness to alter (butcher) western culinary marvels and their propensity to completely misinterpret western sensibilities only makes them more loveable. It must be said that Korean cuisine is quite special and soju gets you trollied for next to nothing. Anyway, Cass Fresh is possibly the best of a bad bunch so I'll try not to be too harsh with it.

S: Crickey! Swirling it around I get a strong whiff of pond silt.

T: Soft bitterness on back of the tongue. Metallicy malt but not harsh. Fizzy. Kind of clean.

O: Very similar to Bud. Easy to drink.

1.5/5  rDev -34.5%

1.5/5  rDev -34.5%

2.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Ho Lee Smoke Stacks (to not get so full of cursing swearing here). There I was, sitting in my Korean grocer, wanting my kimchi fix and there they still had on the shelves... Cass. Boy does this bring back memories. 17 years ago, this was much of what I drank in that beer wasteland I call South Korea. It was so not worth the time that it made Makkoli taste good, and make me discover the joys of DongDongJu in Pusan, and Soju on Taechon beach. Backpacking Soraksan and a 2002 World Cup later, how does this taste remain? We shall see, pouring this into a shaker pint (like it REALLY matters).

Appearance, boy.. an aggressive pour produces such a lifeless white head that it disintegrates into nothing flat just like I remember. WOW does this bring back memories sitting at the HOFs. Body color is extremely straw pale, it's PAST yellow, with some noticeable cola rising carbonation. Boy... I can't believe how incredibly LIGHT looking this beer is, far more so than I remember. Strangely it still manages to keep a thin collar.

Nose. What nose? I smell next to nothing on this. Faint malt but mostly just macro beer smelling lightness. Ironically it is not that offensive at all, but it barely even smells like beer. I don't find any faults either, perhaps cause they aren't really trying?? I call.... RIIIiiice!!!

Strangely after all that is said, the land of morning calm still wants to remind me of good times. Cloying slight syrup palate but strangely gives some depth. Palate fills mostly with a sugars but is strangely not that sweet. Finish is incredibly fast leaving nothing left to pick up. Wow, an unbelievably WET and watery finish on this beer, but not very carbonated either, which makes the beer lifeless in a strange way.

Overall, um, why did I buy this? Was it because I still have grand old joys of slumming in Taejon, or cavorting in Taegu and Kyongju? Stuffing my face with Po-sam and cheap beer? I'll remember the food more than anything, I think I'll skip the beer, nothing to see here folks.. move along.

2.1/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Pale straw colour, foamy white head with zero retention and no lacing.

S - Faint corn and lemon.

T - Just typical macro beer really. Corn, bit of lemon, some grain.

M - Thin and highly carbonated.

O - Not the worst lager in the world. It wasn't skunky, but just a bland drink. Fine for a summers afternoon after mowing the lawn.

Cass Fresh from Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd