Kelso Hop Lager - Greenpoint Beerworks / Kelso of Brooklyn

good

Greenpoint Beerworks / Kelso of Brooklyn visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: plaid75 on 03-15-2007)
Reviews by Douglas14:
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Stuck in at JFK because my flight has been delayed, I ventured iver to the bar to check out the beers they had. Knowing New York's loyalty to Brooklyn Brewery, I knew at the least I could order one of those. As I gander through the menu, to no surprise, macro lager after macro lager is offered. Right before I give up and go with the Brooklyn Lager (my instinct was right) I noticed the Kelso Hop Lager tucked away in the bottom right of the menu.

I had never tried a Greenpoint beer, but had always wanted to...this was a perfect opportunity.

Despite the generic pint glass that it was served in the appearnce was pretty impressive; deep orange with an ok head. The nose is malty with a touch of hops...I was expecting a bit more. The taste is better, though. Definite hops and malt throught the sip. Very nice, exactly what I needed; a hop fix. The beer has a great flavor and character to it. Like all quality lagers that I taste, I tend to be impressed because I expect so little out of them - it is my greatest flaw and beers like the Kelso Hop Lager help to rid me of this pre-judgment.

Glad - was able to try it. Can't wait to try more beers from Greenpoint.

Sorry for typos; coming from my blackberry while I'm sipping. I will spell check later tonight.

Douglas14, Aug 07, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

I was curious to try this, as I don't tend to enjoy lagers, but the bartender at the Brazen Head said it was quite nice.
I quite agree with him, as it definately defied my expectations.
It poured and amber/orange with small but tenacious head.
It had a heavier weight and mouthfeel then I was expecting, this, to me was a very good thing, as part of my aversion to lagers is the lightness.
It was definately dominated by the citrusy hops. This gave way to a metallic bitterness, reminiscent of a pilsner and the finish had a grainy, cereal like malt flavor, quite like the Dogfishhead IPA.
To me, this was rather unique.

voidmyrules, Apr 17, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap @ the Brazen Head 10-08-08

A- Pours a nice copper color with a one-finger white head. The head dissipates into a patchy layer of bubbles on top and a medium-sized ring around the glass.
S- mells alright. Some light noble hop aromas with mild grassiness in the background.
T- astes good. Sweet malts up front, followed by mild hop flavors. There's a faint taste of grassiness, and an above average bitterness for an all malt lager
M -outhfeel is good. It's got a good thickness and solid carbonation. This beer goes down pretty smoothly.

Drinkability is good. This goes down very easily, although there's nothing that stands out that makes it exceptionally drinkable.

Overall this is a solid lager. I wouldn't necessarily seek this one out, but it was on special @ the brazen head and i had never had it. Reminded me of Brooklyn Lager or Sam Adams Lager with of a hop profile

bonbini26, Oct 09, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Noelito76, May 11, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured light, soft malts and a very aggressive citrus and peppery hop.

The taste consisted of a solid light grain profile with a lively peppery and resiny hop. There was a very good doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was full and clean with a dry finish.

Overall an excellent and highly drinkable lager. Look out Prima Pils.

plaid75, Mar 15, 2007

probert, Sep 06, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

mini-growler, poured in a pint glass.

A - clear, light amber color with a small white head that settled to a ring, leaving very little spots of lacing.

S - nice malty/bitter aroma.

T - this tastes like an ESB, but it's listed as an AML. Very good malty flavors with a very bitter finish.

M - light bodied with mild carbonation, and crisp bitterness.

D - good drinking beer.

Final Note: This is the first beer I've had from Greenpoint Beerworks and I look forward to trying more of their offerings.

JoeyBeerBelly, Aug 19, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a growler of this at the Whole Foods on E Houston NYC. Was immediately surprised by the hoppy nose for a mid-golden lager. Similar to Brooklyn Lager w/ a hint more hop, less carbonation. Drinks well, and could easily be a sessioned. I shared w/ a few guests who aren't terribly adventurous beer drinkers who enjoyed it very much. Not my favorite style, but well worth the purchase.

willheel, Sep 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Golden orange in hue. Sparse head, not a lot of carbonation.

Grassy, herbal aroma. All hops. Grains and biscuity smell. Powerful citrus and earthy hop notes.

Hops are very pronounced on the tongue. Malts are thing, grainy, crisp and clean but pushed aside by the hops.

This is a pretty one-dimensional beer it seems to me. All hops with nothing to back it up. I'm not looking for complete balance but it seems to me like I was drinking a hop tea and not a beer.

Litterbean, Oct 20, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a sort of dark copper with a medium sized head that dissipates quickly.

S-Crisp clean lager malts mixed with a citric hop character.

T-This one seems somewhat out of place. The citric hops seemed a bit raw tasting and did not jibe with either the toasted malt nor the lager crisp yeast. The taste is somewhat like an overly grapefruit hopped Boston lager. I like BL and I love hops but this one didnt really gel all the way for me.

M-Slightly below medium body with a decent level of tight carbonation.

D-This is not a bad beer by any means, but there is something that just didnt jive for me.

sleazo, Jul 30, 2007