Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

River Horse Tripel Horse - River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Tripel HorseRiver Horse Tripel Horse

good

River Horse Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: jerseyemt on 05-21-2003

Our take on a Belgian Style Tripel Ale, brewed with spices and fermented with a Trappist yeast strain which lends hints of vanilla and creates a variety of complex flavors.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of River Horse Tripel Horse Alström Bros

This is by far my favorite beer. Very smooth and delicious. It is one that even people who do not like beer would probably enjoy. It is dangerous though, at 10% it can hit you hard, so you have to be careful with it. I hope to see Riverhorse able to distribute nationwide sometime soon! (290 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +31.8%

Pours a nice gold, very small head, with tiny bubbles floating up the entire time you drink it. Wonderful smell, spicy and sweet, with hints of clove, vanilla, and fruit. Taste is rich and spicy but not overly so. Lightly carbonated. Despite the fact that it is 9.4% ABV, it is an easy-drinking brew. Be careful with this one! Each pint of this stuff is the equivalent of three standard drinks. After talking to some of the bartenders, it seems that many people who don't realize the strength of this beer can't finish their third pint, or if they do, are *very* intoxicated.

Highly recommended version of the style, and remains near the top of my list of favorite beers. Too bad it's only available at this restaurant, on-tap only. (735 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +31.5%

This is a beer that I first tasted back when River Horse had a restaurant called 'The Porterhouse' back in 1997 or so. This particular beer is what started my love for Belgium style beers.

Appearance - Not a translucent beer, blocks light. The beer is a dark golden color--beautiful!

Smell--this is my least favorite aspect of this beer,
Taste - While not quite a Triple--it seems more complex with other spices and a darker color than a traditional Belgium triple. I give it a great rating once again for this 10% Belgium Triple. Tastes very smooth. Slightly sweet with minimal taste of hops.

Mouth feel - Great mouth feel, full bodied.

Overall - Great Triple-ish beer, though keep in mind the 10% ABV, you want to be careful drinking too many at one time ;) Also due to the strength it does get smoother with age. (820 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

APPEARANCE - Opaque orange, 1-finger head that dissipates eventually. Some lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Hoppy, sweet, a little herbaceous.

TASTE - Herbaceous, not as sweet as most Tripels. ABV mostly hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Quite light, not syrupy. OK carbonation.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Quaffable, mild. Not a sipping beer. (337 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer has a frothy, but not too heady pour. Its initial look is a warm, almost sensual, honey and cream coloring. The aroma after the initial pour is a typical Belgian Style Ale with a spice and fruit accent that draws the imbiber in. As you drink, you become aware of hints of vanilla and clove from the malt and a hops kick near the end. In your mouth is a smooth, almost lush, caress of your tongue and gentle wash of your palate. Just bear in mind the 10% ABV can provide a real kick to those not familiar with the higher ABV that can be found in Belgian and such styled ales. This is hardly a chugging bear. It is the beer you enjoy amongst friends over an hour or two. (678 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28%

This is one of the single best beers I've had in quite some time. It's got a beautiful color, a rich taste, and a smooth finish for a beer that's 10% abv. I love this beer. (172 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +27.8%

I purchased this bottle sometime in the summer from a local C-Town supermarket really not known to carry much craft beer. The store manager was really excited to notice someone perusing around his little dedicated stack of bottles, & had no problem breaking more then a couple sixers for me to sample. I would should shop there more often if I still lived as close as I use to. I couldn't tell how old the bottle was, but the shelves were bulging with stuff, & it was devoid of much dust, so it was fresher then most beer. This is the only place in Queens & the few places in Manhattan that I shop, that I've seen this particular brewery for sale. I wonder.

I pour this volunteer for the first time, into my Dogfish Chalice. This sucker has been on my bookshelf for well over a year, & has seen no action whatsoever. Not owning many books, I've taken to filling the empty space with glass & little $4 novelty toys I buy from the old guys pawning stuff on the subway. I still have a singing/dancing kung-fu hampster from 1997. Craftsmanship I tell you, craftsmanship. :P

The beer develops a soft, thinned-out eggshell-colored head about half an inch in height. Think bad combover. Figuring in how wide the chalice is, that's a strong showing. A dusty amber-brown, the bubbles look like they're late for a meeting.

At first whiff, macerated fruit like apricots, golden raisins, & banana. You feel the alcohol in your sinuses, but you don't necessarily smell it. A pinch of coriander & some sour & unripened bitter fruit fill out the wonderful scent.

A very delicate & sugar sweet pumpkin, unripened banana, & some mushy pear. All in relatively small amounts, but very delectable. After the fruit, you hit a sharp concentrated sour/sweetness, followed by a very bready middle. It closes out with a clove/coriander/alcohol solution that barely qualifies as bitter.

This beer is brewed in New Jersey. Yes, you read that right, New Jersey. Home to such things as Giants Stadium, all those "natural flavor" product factories, & ... eggplants. :P

Mouthfeel is quite lite, & when looking at the label & seeing 10%, well I just don't see it. It comes across as a ...6.8, or relatively close to that. Maybe the weak carbonation helps, I'm not sure, but why doesn't it feel syrupy? Very little aftertaste besides a touch of breadyness & remnants of the fruit. It might not work for you, but it works for me.

I think the bottle was $2, which was generous of the manager, as they don't sell singles. For 10%, being so easy, & so delicious... I think they're just flat out lying. :D (2,575 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think this a nearly perfect beer. Although I do now have some beef with River Horse because I made a beer that tastes almost identical to this, but it was 8.5% and not as smooth...damn river horse...touche

Appearance- belgian hefeweizen appearance; very hazy golden (i accidentally let all of the sediment in...gives me heartburn) Very frothy, smooth head that leaves a complete film along the top. Impressive.

Smell- Banana goodness, don't smell ANY alcohol. I want this as an air freshener. basically flowery banana. that's it for me.

Taste- A little bite between small amount of hops and alcohol, very tiny hop influence here. A little taste of pear on the finish, but an overall bold beer with a good malt base to it and well tamed ABV. A little spice to it..oh and did I mention banana; tastes like they used a Weihenstephaner yeast. (thats what i used in my own imperial hefeweizen recipe)

Mouthfeel- creamy, a tiny tiny bit dry at the very end, but medium sweetness throughout.

Overall- this seems like a semi-session-able beer but there would be a world of drunk waiting for you. after one i feel like I drank one tastier blue moon but feel tipsy like I drank 3. Very enjoyable, I can't compare it much to other tripels cause ive never had a real one before. However this is a above average/near perfect brew. Impress your friends with this and see them get hammered cause the alcohol taste is almost non existent. Will definitely buy more, especially cause the brewery is ~45 mins away from me. (1,510 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +24.5%

I got this beer in a variety pack of River Horse beer. I do not often see a triple in a Variety pack, especially not a 10%ABV beer in a case that sells for onl $25 and includes the Triple, ESB, Pale, and Lager. This was an excellent find :)

Many aspects of this beer reminded me of Gulden Draak / Dark Triple A Belgian Strong Dark Ale. This of course is a triple but to me they seem to be in a wonderful league of beers I adore! Tripel Horse is not quite as extreme in the sharp sweet burntness as Gulden Draak; but is is still quite toasty and quite sweet. Excellent.

Appearance: Pours with absolutely no head into my tulip glass. The beer is a very attractive ruby brown. It has minimal lacing.

Smell: Very toasted malt raw sugar and dark fruit aromas.

Taste: Smooth and noble, this beer starts off very easy. There is a very strong solid thick malt backbone to this beer that holds everything together. There is a little pinch of browned butter and sugar and a prod of gentle hops followed by a nudge reminding you 'yes there are hops here too' and it all works together magnificently to create a flavor masterpiece! Brilliant!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and slick. a bit buttery or oily with some definite spicy pricklies along the way. It has a nice dry finish that keeps my mouth salivating!

Drinkability: This beer goes down way too easily! Some how I got drunk just writing a review and damnit if I'm not gonna open another. Definitely a nightcap beer! It is big but very easy to drink! What a treat!

Hope this is helpful!
Cheers! (1,553 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a nice light amber with a good head that's whiteisn with amber highlights. The aroma is a burst of sweet malt and caramel. The taste starts off with a big sweet malt, then gives you some banana, caramel, and vanilla. Finally it closes with a cleansing burst of hops. The feel is medium with a slight oilieness. This one really caught me off guard. RH normally is a little higher on hops than I enjoy, but here they used more hops than you usually see in a trippel, but the really hit the mark with it. This is one that I will be buying more of. (559 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Riverhorse Tripel has a fantastic golden color. It is a Belgian-style ale that was served to me in a pint glass at 516 Kitchen in Syosset. It pours with a very thin white head with a clear golden color.  Aromas of raisins, sweetness, & caramel hit the nose.  A syrupy spicy feel in the mouth with tastes of golden raisins, plum, & sweetness with slight alcohol kick. This a really great beer! (394 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe some of these. "blah", reviews.
I know, I know this a sort of snobby review club, but heck...give this beer a big heads up!
Don't dance around it's, "...interesting taste", or, ...bannana flavor...", or hem and haw about the intricasies of this beer.

Tell it like it IS!!

This is a damn good, powerful, flavorful beer.

I will order this again in a flash.

It is now in my list of beers that I will look for.

Btw---it looked fantastic in my Duval glass. (474 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent Belgium style ale. Worth the price. Poured well, fresh fruity aroma, and a great solid taste with hints of spice, but not overpoweringly spicy. Nice beer to have for a few slowly quaffed brews. (206 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

This is one of my local NJ favorites. Tasty sweetness from a bottle. 10% is an added perk. Just saw someone reviewed this beer and gave it low scores because they don't really like Belgian beers. Not sure why they would even review it then. Of course its not an ancient monk recipe from Belgium but if you actually like a Belgian style beer give this one a shot. (362 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +21%

This is my first review on beer advocate.

This beer was given to me by my boss at a shower. Excellent. It pours a very white head of pourous foam, about a quarter of an inch. It disappears somewhat quickly. The aroma, right from the very start at a cold temperature, is beautifully strong. The mouthfeel could be one of the best features; it is still pretty darn good though. It is a bit watered, so it gives this tasty AND complex beer a bit of drinkability. This can be dangerous though as I wish I had more than just one!

The initial belgian light fruity estery qualities begin to mellow towards the end, and the complexity of this great beer begins to take shape. Darker notes....maybe almonds, mix in with this delicate but sophistocated gem. This beer is very enjoyable. Yes indeed. A bit of tart towards this finish as well. I feel like this is on the borderline of Flemish Red at the finish, but this could be a longshot. There is definately some tartness going on here a little.
Get one, or six or a case. (1,022 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Sweet taste, like a banana split. Like Blue Moon on Steriods. Love this Beer! I like my beers less hopped. This stuff is almost like mead. It's a Belgian Style Tripel, but it doesn't say what the base is. I presume it's wheat based. Just went to their website says Pilsen, White Wheat and Caramel 15. This is the best beer I have tried in a while. (347 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

pours a nice deep orange amber color with a fizzy head that fades quickly.

smells sweet and fruity. subtly spicy also.

taste is quite sweet right up front. i taste a nice fruitiness, i'm thinking of apples. mixed in with an interesting spice. nice and sweet. very tastey.

mouthfeel is full and creamy. almost chewy. very good, about what i expected from the style. drinkability is good but not great, this is a strong beer after all. (442 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Poured into a goblet. Pours a cloudy golden color with a small white head that doesn't last too long.

S: Smells very fruity and sweet, with a little bit of spicy yeast.

T: Banana (like a hefe), honey and light fruit flavors, along with a spiciness from the Belgian yeast (clove, again like a hefe). Sweetness continues into the finish with light hops and a pretty hefty punch of alcohol.

M: Medium to full body with light carbonation. Pretty creamy.

O: Is there such a thing as an imperial hefeweizen? Doesn't taste like a typical tripel, but I like it alot. (566 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

My first review, but not my first beer. I thought it tasted great on its own merits. As an American Belgian Triple-style without the price tag and from a local (for me) source, I found it exceptional. It paired great with whatever food I put it with and it has a nice complexity on its own. (290 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +18.9%

A - appearance ok, not a translucent beer, blocks light. The beer is orange, orange, maybe 10% brown. Amber is yellow orange. This was closer to orange. Lacing ok, but one needs malodextrine or black patent to get good heads?

Also saw yeast at the bottom of the bottle, not problem for me as it is good vitamin B. Looks like the yeast had medium flocculation.

S - Very good for the beer style with Belgium yeast. This is my first Belgium triple!?

T - A give it a great rating once again for this 10% Begium Triple. Tastes very smooth. Slightly sweet with minimal taste of hops.

M - Great mouth feel, full bodied.

D - Great Triple, though keep in mind the 10% ABV, you want to be careful drinking too many at one time ;) Also due to the strength will get smoother with age.

I paid $40 for a case right at the brewery which includes the NJ 7% tax, so about $1.56 per bottle before tax.

From looking at the reviews I sense we are reviewing different batches from this small brewery. (987 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Now this is a winter beer! Though I wouldnt hesitate to drink it at other times too. Loaded up on alcoholic goodness, excellent for piling up the beer sweaters, but careful, cuz it doesn't taste like a 10%er. Pours an opaque golden amber brown sugar honey gold. Crisp, carbonatey, and creamy on the mouthfeel. Taste is ruddy, very balanced, malty enough for anyones liking but not overdone. I really like it. Certainly not a session beer and not just cuz of the awesome ABV; its like a fine desert in how rich it is. But perfect on a snowy day like today. If gingerbread men could drink, this would be their beer (cuz their not gonna drink ginger beer, thatd be canabalism). Cheers! (682 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Thanks for the surprise bottle, zrrbrrt! Never had this before but I've enjoyed the Hop Hazard on draft in Philly a few years back.

Brilliant clear beer with no sediment, small firm foam head, modestly active carbonation escaping in the form of a constant flow of small bubbles. This is a good looking, inviting beer.

The nose features lots of malts, and an estery Belgian style pez-candy yeast, although much more restrained than, say, St. Bernardus. Some alcohol but it smells tamed.

Very refined and well balanced. Refreshing, with pilsner qualities much like Duval. Subtle flavors that melt together in perfect harmony. Delicate noble bitterness that's quite enjoyable. Far from bold. This is one of the finer American versions of the style. It could compete with many Belgian versions as well, but I think it would be beaten in the personality department. Very diffucult to fathom this weighing 10% abv--where is the alcohol? Featuring subtle bananas and mild acetaldehyde. A tiny bit isovaleric. Not taking off any points because all the flavors melt, none are offensive, and there's alot of alcohol which is probably helping to tame everything.

Gentle but confident carbonation makes for a great mouthfeel. Not too sweet, sticky, or syrupy, common complaints of mine for this style. A winner!

Careful, because the drinkablity is way too high for the abv.

My only complaints are that it's not exactly authentic and has a definate US vibe (screw tradition, US brewers should make beers with US style...but they call it a triple so they asked for it!!!). Cheers to River Horse! (1,600 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A hazy golden color. Really interesting looking beer. They're particles floating around in the beer, weird. Looks decently carbonated.

Sweet Caramel, little pine, dark fruits like raisins and a noticeable hint of spice.

Very tasty beer. Citrus, spice, raisin, slight booze but works well with it; for a 10% ABV it is hidden very well with a hint of alcohol.

Medium mouth feel that fills your mouth. Carbonation is NOT extreme but is there. Feels really nice in the mouth.

This is quite a easy drinking beer for a ten percenter. Taste is really good, feels really nice in the mouth. I wish I had one more of these to enjoy but the alcohol sneaks up on you. (659 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Everything about this beer was good
It poured nicely into a sniffer glass leaving about a finger of awsome and tasty white head....Color deep amber. the sweet taste doesn't stay with young which I like. This is by far the best RIVERHORSE I have had. (249 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.5%

Presentation - Poured into Flying Fish pint glass

Appearance - Poured hazy orange with fast dissipating white half-finger head and little lacing

Smell - Very citrus like hops and a biscuity scent

Taste - Apricots, apricots, apricots

Mouthfeel - Moderate with a bit of sweetness

Drinkability - This drinks well for a trippell

Overall - A winner (349 characters)

River Horse Tripel Horse from River Horse Brewing Co.