River Horse Tripel Horse - River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Tripel HorseRiver Horse Tripel Horse

good

River Horse Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: resirob on 11-23-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of River Horse Tripel Horse Alström Bros

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

Paydr0, Oct 04, 2014

ilovebeermorales, Aug 18, 2012

kyleradz, Jul 26, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +33.2%

Pours a nice gold, very small head, with tiny bubbles floating up the entire time you drink it. Wonderful smell, spicy and sweet, with hints of clove, vanilla, and fruit. Taste is rich and spicy but not overly so. Lightly carbonated. Despite the fact that it is 9.4% ABV, it is an easy-drinking brew. Be careful with this one! Each pint of this stuff is the equivalent of three standard drinks. After talking to some of the bartenders, it seems that many people who don't realize the strength of this beer can't finish their third pint, or if they do, are *very* intoxicated.

Highly recommended version of the style, and remains near the top of my list of favorite beers. Too bad it's only available at this restaurant, on-tap only.

jerseyemt, May 21, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +33.2%

This is a beer that I first tasted back when River Horse had a restaurant called 'The Porterhouse' back in 1997 or so. This particular beer is what started my love for Belgium style beers.

Appearance - Not a translucent beer, blocks light. The beer is a dark golden color--beautiful!

Smell--this is my least favorite aspect of this beer,
Taste - While not quite a Triple--it seems more complex with other spices and a darker color than a traditional Belgium triple. I give it a great rating once again for this 10% Belgium Triple. Tastes very smooth. Slightly sweet with minimal taste of hops.

Mouth feel - Great mouth feel, full bodied.

Overall - Great Triple-ish beer, though keep in mind the 10% ABV, you want to be careful drinking too many at one time ;) Also due to the strength it does get smoother with age.

csrbv, Jan 15, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

I purchased this bottle sometime in the summer from a local C-Town supermarket really not known to carry much craft beer. The store manager was really excited to notice someone perusing around his little dedicated stack of bottles, & had no problem breaking more then a couple sixers for me to sample. I would should shop there more often if I still lived as close as I use to. I couldn't tell how old the bottle was, but the shelves were bulging with stuff, & it was devoid of much dust, so it was fresher then most beer. This is the only place in Queens & the few places in Manhattan that I shop, that I've seen this particular brewery for sale. I wonder.

I pour this volunteer for the first time, into my Dogfish Chalice. This sucker has been on my bookshelf for well over a year, & has seen no action whatsoever. Not owning many books, I've taken to filling the empty space with glass & little $4 novelty toys I buy from the old guys pawning stuff on the subway. I still have a singing/dancing kung-fu hampster from 1997. Craftsmanship I tell you, craftsmanship. :P

The beer develops a soft, thinned-out eggshell-colored head about half an inch in height. Think bad combover. Figuring in how wide the chalice is, that's a strong showing. A dusty amber-brown, the bubbles look like they're late for a meeting.

At first whiff, macerated fruit like apricots, golden raisins, & banana. You feel the alcohol in your sinuses, but you don't necessarily smell it. A pinch of coriander & some sour & unripened bitter fruit fill out the wonderful scent.

A very delicate & sugar sweet pumpkin, unripened banana, & some mushy pear. All in relatively small amounts, but very delectable. After the fruit, you hit a sharp concentrated sour/sweetness, followed by a very bready middle. It closes out with a clove/coriander/alcohol solution that barely qualifies as bitter.

This beer is brewed in New Jersey. Yes, you read that right, New Jersey. Home to such things as Giants Stadium, all those "natural flavor" product factories, & ... eggplants. :P

Mouthfeel is quite lite, & when looking at the label & seeing 10%, well I just don't see it. It comes across as a ...6.8, or relatively close to that. Maybe the weak carbonation helps, I'm not sure, but why doesn't it feel syrupy? Very little aftertaste besides a touch of breadyness & remnants of the fruit. It might not work for you, but it works for me.

I think the bottle was $2, which was generous of the manager, as they don't sell singles. For 10%, being so easy, & so delicious... I think they're just flat out lying. :D

PEBKAC, Jan 07, 2008

TMYerger, Jul 17, 2012

StivBeer, Jul 17, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

APPEARANCE - Opaque orange, 1-finger head that dissipates eventually. Some lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Hoppy, sweet, a little herbaceous.

TASTE - Herbaceous, not as sweet as most Tripels. ABV mostly hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Quite light, not syrupy. OK carbonation.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Quaffable, mild. Not a sipping beer.

Homers_Beer_Odyssey, Oct 23, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think this a nearly perfect beer. Although I do now have some beef with River Horse because I made a beer that tastes almost identical to this, but it was 8.5% and not as smooth...damn river horse...touche

Appearance- belgian hefeweizen appearance; very hazy golden (i accidentally let all of the sediment in...gives me heartburn) Very frothy, smooth head that leaves a complete film along the top. Impressive.

Smell- Banana goodness, don't smell ANY alcohol. I want this as an air freshener. basically flowery banana. that's it for me.

Taste- A little bite between small amount of hops and alcohol, very tiny hop influence here. A little taste of pear on the finish, but an overall bold beer with a good malt base to it and well tamed ABV. A little spice to it..oh and did I mention banana; tastes like they used a Weihenstephaner yeast. (thats what i used in my own imperial hefeweizen recipe)

Mouthfeel- creamy, a tiny tiny bit dry at the very end, but medium sweetness throughout.

Overall- this seems like a semi-session-able beer but there would be a world of drunk waiting for you. after one i feel like I drank one tastier blue moon but feel tipsy like I drank 3. Very enjoyable, I can't compare it much to other tripels cause ive never had a real one before. However this is a above average/near perfect brew. Impress your friends with this and see them get hammered cause the alcohol taste is almost non existent. Will definitely buy more, especially cause the brewery is ~45 mins away from me.

keysofebony, Oct 15, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +26.4%

I got this beer in a variety pack of River Horse beer. I do not often see a triple in a Variety pack, especially not a 10%ABV beer in a case that sells for onl $25 and includes the Triple, ESB, Pale, and Lager. This was an excellent find :)

Many aspects of this beer reminded me of Gulden Draak / Dark Triple A Belgian Strong Dark Ale. This of course is a triple but to me they seem to be in a wonderful league of beers I adore! Tripel Horse is not quite as extreme in the sharp sweet burntness as Gulden Draak; but is is still quite toasty and quite sweet. Excellent.

Appearance: Pours with absolutely no head into my tulip glass. The beer is a very attractive ruby brown. It has minimal lacing.

Smell: Very toasted malt raw sugar and dark fruit aromas.

Taste: Smooth and noble, this beer starts off very easy. There is a very strong solid thick malt backbone to this beer that holds everything together. There is a little pinch of browned butter and sugar and a prod of gentle hops followed by a nudge reminding you 'yes there are hops here too' and it all works together magnificently to create a flavor masterpiece! Brilliant!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and slick. a bit buttery or oily with some definite spicy pricklies along the way. It has a nice dry finish that keeps my mouth salivating!

Drinkability: This beer goes down way too easily! Some how I got drunk just writing a review and damnit if I'm not gonna open another. Definitely a nightcap beer! It is big but very easy to drink! What a treat!

Hope this is helpful!
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 24, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a nice light amber with a good head that's whiteisn with amber highlights. The aroma is a burst of sweet malt and caramel. The taste starts off with a big sweet malt, then gives you some banana, caramel, and vanilla. Finally it closes with a cleansing burst of hops. The feel is medium with a slight oilieness. This one really caught me off guard. RH normally is a little higher on hops than I enjoy, but here they used more hops than you usually see in a trippel, but the really hit the mark with it. This is one that I will be buying more of.

claytri, Jun 23, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Riverhorse Tripel has a fantastic golden color. It is a Belgian-style ale that was served to me in a pint glass at 516 Kitchen in Syosset. It pours with a very thin white head with a clear golden color.  Aromas of raisins, sweetness, & caramel hit the nose.  A syrupy spicy feel in the mouth with tastes of golden raisins, plum, & sweetness with slight alcohol kick. This a really great beer!

angelogarcia3, Aug 08, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe some of these. "blah", reviews.
I know, I know this a sort of snobby review club, but heck...give this beer a big heads up!
Don't dance around it's, "...interesting taste", or, ...bannana flavor...", or hem and haw about the intricasies of this beer.

Tell it like it IS!!

This is a damn good, powerful, flavorful beer.

I will order this again in a flash.

It is now in my list of beers that I will look for.

Btw---it looked fantastic in my Duval glass.

Dennycurr, Feb 06, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

dipdabear, Nov 16, 2014

GoGators, Dec 16, 2011

FredWho, Jan 17, 2013

irs, Jul 07, 2012

schaffer9252, Jun 08, 2013

motothrillz, Feb 02, 2014
River Horse Tripel Horse from River Horse Brewing Co.