1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

River Horse Double Wit - River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Double WitRiver Horse Double Wit

good

River Horse Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Witbier |  7.00% ABV

This beer was originally released in our Brewer's Reserve Series as Double White, but is now a permanent part of the line-up in its own package. Now known as Double Wit.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of River Horse Double Wit Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -59.5%

1.5/5  rDev -59.5%

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Extra from BeerTruth.

Pours a hazed musty golden color with about two fingers of off-white head. Head keeps a decent, thin lace with a solid layer around the rim.

Smell is sweet, syrupy sweet, and very fruity. I do not find it pleasant. It smells as much like fruity pebbles as Leiny Berry Weisse. The fruitiness is all over the place - citrus, passion fruit, Lord knows what else; but none of it is good. Add a dash of armpit and it's just a mess. Bleh.

Taste is not much better. It's not as fruity pebbles like, but it does have a harsh, grainy bite to it that makes it just as unpleasant. It does, however, make it slightly more tolerable. It's also quite spicy which is a redeeming value. The finish is clean, at least, with some lingering earthy yeast and spices. To top it all off I even get a hint of alcohol. This is a confused mess.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with very aggressive, spritzy carbonation. The carbonation is a redeeming value because it does not allow much lingering. The grainy bite makes it a bit harsh.

This is a mess. The more of this 'style' I try, the more I am convinced that Double and Wit do not go together. Give it up brewers, it just doesn't work.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

nice four pack a little pricey would have been happy if it was a six. it poured nice hazy dark straw with a thick head the smell was a little off not the fruit i expected a little strong for this type of beer wasn't all that nice to drink it was a little harsh even for the seven%. i think they over powered the taste with the alcohol.

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

A - Actually a very visually appealing witbier... Light bronze coloring with an extreme haze... Extreme amounts of very rapid paced carbonation... A beautiful lush rocky white head reminicent of a snow drift... Loads of foam clings to the sides of the glass...

S - Wet cardboard... Apricot... Honey... Orange... Corriander...

T - Honey... Orange concentrate... Candied lemon cough drops... Faint wheat... Aftertaste is of unripened apricots... The taste seems forced and overly artificial...

M - Slightly sticky... Medium bodied... Moderate carbonation on the tongue...

D - Other than a terrific appearance this brew is very very rough around the edges... A rather disappointing brew from River Horse that I will be avoiding in the future...

2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Golden hazy yellow, with a slight head that dissipates fairly quickly. It was actually gone before I was even able to type to this point. You can see quite a bit of bubbles rising to the surface through the pretty cloudy beer.

S: Strong lemon scent, which makes me think the taste might be slightly sour. Pretty much dominates the smell of the beer. There's also a bit of wheat and coriander in the background, but they seem rather faint to me.

T: Lots of lemon up front in the taste, as expected. I'm not a HUGE fan of the taste of lemons, but actually this doesn't bother me too much. It's not sour at all, and actually rather sweet. Along with the lemon, you get spicy notes, which fade into a dry wheat aftertaste. It's not a big taste, but I'm definitely left wanting a little bit more. Maybe I had a different expectation of the taste. I'm definitely let down. Again, it's not a bad taste, but it's just not a large enough variety on the taste.

M: The carbonation is very high. Prickly on the tongue and all the way down, although I'm sure a little bit of that is the alcohol. Light to medium bodied.

D: It's alright. Seems like the more I drink of the beer, the more I start to taste the lemon, and the alcohol. Doesn't seem to be mixed all that well, and it's kind of a turn off the way the lemon and alcohol tastes are overwhelming me. I definitely couldn't see myself drinking more than one of these in a sitting.

I'd give this beer a one thumb down. It's not a beer a would recommend to someone, yet it's not terrible enough to drain pour.

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

I am not a big fan of the Belgian brew's, this one was a bit spicy. I found it to be heavy and filling as well with a bit too much sweetness. It was a bit too thick for what it was. I could drink one or two of these and then I would have to move on. too much flavor I suppose.

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Appearance - Pours a very hazy, yellow-orange color with a centimeter thick white head that dissipates instantly. Has nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet with clove and a strong whiskey/alcohol aroma.

Taste - Very sweet with a strong honey flavor.. Orange zest, clove, coriander, pepper, and maybe some other spices. Has a less than pleasant whiskey/alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a creamy texture. Medium carbonation.

Overall - After a while the alcohol flavor started making me gag... The flavor was great but not the aftertaste. I couldn't even finish the beer. Maybe this just isn't my style of brew.

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.
First ''double wit'' for me. Not sure what to think about the concept since I love witbier for it's refreshing, delicious and easy drinking nature. Pours nice into the tulip with a fat foamy head. Cloudy and golden with some bubbles. Smell is less intense than I expected with more of a wheat nose while the spices play second fiddle. First taste is a alot of spicy yeast and the sting of fusel alcohol. I let it warm up a bit and some of the subtleties came out. The orange peel, coriander and wheat flavors are present but kind of muted and don't really fit together nicely. Carbonation is high and lively across the tongue. This brew improved as it warmed but was still very rough around the edges. Simply put, not my thing.

Pours a cloudy, hazy yellow-white. Not as much head as I anticipated, it being a Belgian Wit. Some muted citrus and lemon zest notes....a little flat in the back of the throat.

For the novice: Tastes like a homebrew version of Hoegaarden.

Personally: River Horse Double Wit is a bit of misnomer...there is nothing inherently "double" about it. Overall, I'm neither here not there with this beer. It's average.

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz bottle poured into pint

Clear soft golden glow with a thin topping of white head. Fades out completely without retention or lacing.

Notes of cracked pepper and spice with a formidable sweetness. Touches of honey and yeast with fruity esters and light warmth.

Yeasty and sweet up front with honey. Cracked pepper, assorted spice, wheat and straw. Thicker backbone, touch of citrus and fruit. Slightly cloying on the back end with a boozy spike.

Fuller medium body, slightly higher carbonation level, sticky and bubbly on the tongue. Fairly average, too sweet and unnecessary alcohol level. I usually look for refreshing, snappy flavors in witbiers, but this doesn't really do it for me.

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

12oz bottle into my Russian River pint glass

A: Hazy reddish-orange with a dense white head.

S: Orange and coriander dominate the nose with a good dose of wheat thrown in for good measure. Hints of pepper too. Pretty good!

T: Overly spicy - back off on the coriander, there! Starts off spicy and is followed by an orange zest flavor that's almost astringent. Over the top. Dry finish

M: Overly carbonated - it literally foams up in my mouth. Pleasing finish, though

D: Don't think I'd drink another. In fact, I poured this down the drain :-(

River Horse Double Wit from River Horse Brewing Co.