1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

River Horse Double Wit - River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Double WitRiver Horse Double Wit

good

River Horse Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Witbier |  7.00% ABV

This beer was originally released in our Brewer's Reserve Series as Double White, but is now a permanent part of the line-up in its own package. Now known as Double Wit.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of River Horse Double Wit Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a cloudy golden with a fluffy white head. Great retention and very nice lacing. Aroma is of vanilla, spice and sweet ripe fruit. Body is medium and carbonated. Taste is of fruits,spice with vanilla through out. Smooth but spicy finish. I liked this one a lot!

riversider76, Aug 09, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

(From notes)

A - Poured with a thinner purely white head; hazy orange gold color. Head dissipated quickly

S - Bit of banana; citrus; bit of sweetness; touch yeasty

T - Mirrors the aroma the quite well; banana and clove; light spice; pretty sweet actual. Would have liked more spice and tart

M - Medium to thinner; soft carbonation

D - Nice enough, decent flavors and refreshing

Overall, not a bad brew at all. Not the best representation of the style, but an OK brew.

Nickls, Aug 07, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly clear gold (lots of suspended yeast and oils are present but I wouldn't call this hazy), with a big foamy brite-white head. This actually takes a bit to get it all in the glass. Retains with a more weakish and fizzy look, yet the cascade and thick swathes of lacing it leaves back are quite rich. The aroma has a shitload of spicing going on with it. Tons of coriander, a bit of spicy clove, and maybe some other flavors to. Lots of yeast as well. Orange zest and a crisp pang of wheat adds some sweetness. This is quite full and thick in the nose, but it's probably overdoing it with the spices.

The taste starts with a beefy feeling crisp bite of wheat and citrus. Equally strong and assetive mix of coriander, yeast, and spicy clove spreads out along the back in a yeasty bloom. The spicing really lingers hard in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a biting sharpness to the carbonation which really accentuates the crispness and spice of this. Pretty smooth overall despite the heavier flavors and ABV. I didn't have much trouble drinking this at all.

These Double Wits seem to be all the rage now, and this one wasn't too bad. This drank fairly nicely for a 7% beer but the flavor profile just had a few hiccups here and there that just kept this from REALLY impressing me. A few tweaks and this could be some really outstanding stuff.

Kegatron, Jul 29, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness info, bottling date etc. Pours clouded medium apricot amber, the head is loosely knit, longlasting and leaves behind a thick collar and sliding sheeting of lace. The sniff reminds me of a creamsicle ice cream pop along with some coriander. Typical yeasty and slightly peppery wit notes. The problem I have with this one is the sharp bite in the mouthfeel, which I suppose is the bittering hop crunch...For some reason this is not doing it for this hep heads taste buds. I've never been overly impressed with the River Horse offerings and this one only add to the feeling.

Billolick, Jul 23, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Cloudy golden straw tones with ample carbonation and quickly diminishing white fluffy head

S - Belgian yeast and citrus. Faint hints of pepper and spice.

T - Citrus, belgian yeast with hints of spice and dough.

M - Smooth, bright and perfectly carbonates

D - Excellent due to its smoothness, decent ABV and no boozey taste

rfgetz, Jul 20, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

It's nice to actually drink a summer style in summer rather than the imperial stouts and big Belgians I'm always opening.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Allagash tulip a golden orange color with a massive creamy white head. It takes its time dropping to a large rocky cap, eventually settling out at one finger's height.

SMELL: One of the most spiciest witbiers I've ever had. But it's much more than coriander. There's almost a winter spice / nutmeg thing going on in it, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. The orange and citrus are there as well, along with a pretty aggressive abbey yeast character. Very unique and distinctive.

TASTE: Quite sweet with just as much wheat malt character as yeast esters. The spicing here is much more subdued as is any citrus. This to me is more reminiscent of a tripel than a witbier.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with an average level carbonation. I'd prefer a bit more dryness, but it does advertise itself as a double wit.

DRINKABILITY: Okay for a beer of this size, but it almost seems like it should be even better. For a style that I'd want glass after glass of, I'll be holding myself to one of these only.

A decent execution of a hard-to-grasp version of the style. Worth trying, I suppose, but don't go out of your way.

jmalex, Jul 15, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Picked up a growler at Bowery Whole Foods, cheap too.

A- I recently had a Double Wit (South Hampton)for the first time, and while I liked the flavor of it (almost like a sour, or barrel aged), it did not seem like a wit at all to me. So I wanted to try another represenatative from this style. This guy pours with a generous bone white foamy head that recedes leaving a homogenous thin cap with moderate lacing. The obvious to me, is that this beer is a perfectly clear bright golden yellow. This does not look like a Wit to me at all.

S-Sweet coconut, vanilla, spicy pears, candied sugar, some alcohol notes, and a touch of an earthy note.

T- The palate is a bit different- I get sweet pears, some stone fruit....apricot. I do taste some of that vanilla, some coriander notes, and a noticeable EtOH burn on the way down. Miniaml hop bitterness, I struggle to find any. This reminds me of a Green Flash Trippel. I would not have guessed that this was a Wit, or Double Wit.

M- While the body is thin/light, it coats my mouth with a sweet layer. Minimal carbonation. I miss the dry finish with an almost effervescent buubly finish.

D- I had bought this beer to pair with some spicy food. Per Garrett Oliver's recommendation (The Brewmaster's Table), it definetly did not work out as well with spicy food as the Ommegang Wit did with spicy food last week. Overall not a bad beer, but I still don't have a handle on the Double Wit style.

m1ked, Jul 12, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a snifter. Purchased at the Whole Foods on Houston in Manhattan and smuggled back to Minnesota in my girlfriend's suitcase.

A-Very cloudy dark straw beer; borderline murky, swampy apperance, perhaps partly due to both yeast and haze. On the plus side, the beer was topped with a huge white head, fluffy and attractive, with an approriately strong retention.

S-Aromas are heavy on the spice, thick with yeasty bread. Something crisp, kind of spicy, pleasant and rather unique; I sort of though it remniscent of mint with a hint of vanilla? Citrus aromas are minimal, not really present, that is.

T-Bready, sweet and light malt character with some nice spiciness. The spices seem to have some of the same unique character I picked up in the aroma. (Interestingly, I read a review below that referred to a hint of Windex; after a little reflection, this unique character I picked up had almost a slight taste of cleaner of some sort, bue pleasantly...). Light, refreshing, but somewhat creamy, almost green. Finishes with a slight citrus note, spicy and yeast.

M-Medium body, feels relatively light for a "double" beer, but probably approrpiately heavy for a double witbier. Carbonation is high, keeping in stride with a typical wit.

D-Intriguing brew, though not spectacular. It is quite drinkable, having "doubled" a very drinkable beer. However, its repeat drinkability is low.

CHSLBrew, Jul 09, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

Got a bottle of this in a River Horse mixer.

A: Pours a dark gold, hazy body with a thick, off-white head that was very silky with very good retention and lacing. Very good for the style.

S: A sweet citrus, malt smell with some banana ester and clove notes. Slight alcohol undertones were also evident. Very nice for the style.

T: A fairly alcoholic taste with some earthy, metallic notes. The sweeter, "wheaty" and banana notes were evident in the aftertaste, but it was mostly the alcohol that commandeered my taste buds.

M: A fairly smooth mouthfeel that was a little overcarbonated. Pretty good overall.

D: A pretty decent mouthfeel and taste combination. A little more banana ester or clove evidence could have made this one smoother by hiding the alcohol a little bit. The appearance, however, was very nice.

maddogruss, Jul 09, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange and yellow color with plenty of active, fast-moving carbonation. The chalk white head reaches 2" quickly, but recedes at a slow pace. A plateau of foam is created when the edges recede quicker than the rest of the head. Thick foam clings to the glass after all that.

Smell: Fruity aromas of apricot and peaches are very dominant. It's reminiscent of a dried, Turkish apricot, really. Wheat malt and yeast play a subsidiary role to those fruity aromas.

Taste: Yeasty forefront with a strong wheat flavor. Alcohol is noticeable despite the small 7% abv. More of that apricot flavor is sensible with a sourdough bread finish. Weird.

Mouthfeel: Pinchy with hops and alcohol. At the same time this beer is carbonated and sweet. Lots going on.

Drinkability: A very different brew. I wonder how much thought was put into this beer, as it has so many clashing flavors going on. Okay.

Risser09, Jul 01, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Served: In a bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A: Unfiltered body with a golden color. The head was poured perfectly into the glass with a generous 2 inches. The head stayed with the beer all the way to the finish. Awesome.

S: Smells of wheat, spices, and mild hops.

T: Okay, the taste is sort of weird. My brother tried it and told me it tasted like Windex. I could actually see where he was coming from. He wasn't too far off. It doesn't taste as spicy as it smells. However, I will give it an above average score considering I haven't tasted something like this before. Definitely a different type of witbier.

M: The spices flow out in the beginning and it ends with a wheaty aftertaste. The unfiltered body gives the beer some character.

D: This beer is unique. I would probably have it again, but I am not in a rush. One of these is good enough for me.

MLasoski, Jun 01, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

App: Cloudy gold. Huge 4 finger head with even a gentle pour.

Amell: Sour apples, grape like white wine, faint alcohol, fruity/sour yeast.

Taste: A light taste. A slight sweetness followed by a slight sourness. Ends with a distinct, belgian flavored bitterness. As it warms, the grassy hop character makes itself known. Not enough of the wheat flavor; too much hops for a witbier.

Nice full mouthfeel with great carbonation. Definitely something i'll drink again, but not stellar.

The taste was too light and lacking for me, with an unbalanced hoppy/malty bitter aftertaste.

emsroth, May 23, 2009

A - Hazy golden yellow with a largish head that fades quickly with lacing.

S - Yeasty, spicy, wheaty

T - Wheatish with spicy Belgian yeast. Pretty balanced, quite a yeasty aftertaste.

M - Medium carbonation and light in body. Some alcohol heat.

D - Extremely drinkable due to the light flavors and body. Quite high in ABV, hides very well. Pretty good example of the style.

Martin2D, May 19, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

I am not a big fan of the Belgian brew's, this one was a bit spicy. I found it to be heavy and filling as well with a bit too much sweetness. It was a bit too thick for what it was. I could drink one or two of these and then I would have to move on. too much flavor I suppose.

mlhall55, May 09, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

appearance - Cloudy gold color, some lace, and a small head.

smell - Spicy, citrus, and alcohol.

taste - Some orange peel with some alcohol present.

mouthfeel - Medium-light bod.

drinkability - Enjoyed this beer, would buy it again. the 7%ABV is present in this brew.

auxiliary, May 03, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Originally had this double wit on tap at an Uno Grill. From there, I was on a mission to find it in stores. Found it only in a 12 bottle variety pack.

A - Appears as a cloudy gold/apricot wiith a massive bright white head, that calms down and leaves an abundance of lacing. A sight to behold.

S - A combination of creamy vanilla, and some mixed fruit.

T - A cornicopia of flavors are present between candy sugar, vanilla and a hint of orange. Almost like orange sherbet. Fantastic!

M - Good balance between the taste and carbonation. I prefer moderately to highly carbonated beers. Its also quite creamy. This seems to be the basis for all of my observations!

D - The taste is amazing, but like most of my favorite beers such as Duvel and Don De Dieu, too much of a good thing can become a bad thing. After 3 of these, I'd be done. Definitely a sipper, between the complex taste and the higher abv.

irishking1977, May 02, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

The bottle itself has good art work and the marketing department should be commended. It caught my eye on the shelf and I figured I'd give it a try.

This beer poured very nice with a sturdy head that quickly went away. Two pours for the entire beer, and the smell was fruity and wit-ish.

I'm always skeptical of non-European Wits, for some reason I've had bad luck with them. But this beer was different and surprisingly so. It had a very good flavor to it and went down remarkably easy for a 7%.

A very good Wit. I found the drinkability on this beer to very high and I would likely buy this beer again along with some Allagash and Duvel.

The only negative, which some would not consider so, might be that it does have a bit of a bite to it. Not sure if that's the spice mix or what, but there is a bit of something. Now, I enjoy such a taste, but some may not.

Time to head to the fridge for another!

Kevuas, Apr 29, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

A - A very lively brew. It pours quickly from the bottle with plenty of carbonation and head. The white head sits atop a clear golden body and fades quickly. It took two pours to empty the bottle due to the carbonation. The second pour carried some of the sediment from the bottle, but was able to contain most of it.

S - Yeast and citrus hit the nose immediately upon opening the bottle. After a second take there was a definte spice as well.

T - Citrus is the first thing you taste (and the more you drink the more you taste the lemony-orange flavor) followed by a dough flavor. A slight heat comes through with the alcohol. After taste hang with you.

M - Went down smooth like a light bodied beer and the carbonation danced on the tongue. Perfect on this 90' April day.

D - Keep them coming. Ashame it's a double otherwise I could knock a few more back.

drcarver, Apr 26, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a murky pond-water brown with lots of sediment floating around and creamy, white head.

The smell reminds me of toast. Breakfast foods. Something syrupy and something smoked. Maybe French toast is a good way to describe it. Compared to the strong fruit aromas in the other imperialized witbiers I've tried, I prefer it. Quite an intriguing aroma.

The taste is sweet, syrupy, and full of caramel. Spices run rampant and carbonation dances on the tongue. It's big and creamy in the mouth with a background of bready flavors. Very strange, nothing like a witbier, but tasty and alluring none the less.

I doubt I could handle more than one of these, but as a breakfast or a dessert, this would definitely hit the spot.

(Note: As a witbier, this fails all over the place, but compared to the other big wits I've tried, it's exceptionally good. So, per style, no. Per flavor, yes.)

IMincedTheKing, Apr 25, 2009

Appearance: pours a slightly cloudy yellowish orange color. A short 1/2" head falls to a spotty surface foam.

Smell: orange, spice, and some grains are easily detectable.

Taste: mildly grainy malt base. The spiciness up front with some orange and lemon zest. Pears and golden apples are softer in the profile. Bitterness is mellow and alcohol is mildly noticable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, lightly crisp and a touch dry at the finish. Aftertaste is long as the spiciness lingers a while.

Drinkability: slow drinking witbier since the alcohol levels are up a bit. One or two in a session is about all I would want.

Gavage, Mar 20, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

My second-to-last bottle from the Summer Beer BIF package I rec'd from MrBURTON55. Seeing how it's going to below zero again tonight, this is my farewell toast to summer (yes, I'm clinging).

And damn! This is good! I'm not generally a fan of Wits due to their Kate Moss-type bodies & generally boring taste profiles. This is an exception &, if typical, I'd frankly just as soon "double" up every Wit on the market.

This actually has some character; the wheatisity complements the sweetness that kicks in to the aftertaste. The taste is full, without that annoying "I'm drinking grass-water" character I despise about so many Wits. This is actually beer. Which is great.

I've already had 1/3 of the glass in about two minutes, so, drinkability would be high, right? This brew appealed to my sweet tooth, my love of new beers, & that someone put a really, really appealing twist on a style I'm not too fond of. What's not to like? Salut to River Horse!

maximum12, Jan 09, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured a hazy, orange color, with a healthy, 1-finer white head. Generally looks like a witbier should. The smell was malty, full of wheat and yeast, plus a handful of additional spices, a little banana, and a little orange peel. Again, everything was as it should be for a good beer of this style. The taste was fine, but only a bit above average. The dominant taste was wheat and yeast, of course. It started fairly smooth, then went onto a crisp, spicy kick, full of coriander. Unfortunately, it ended with a long, sweet lingering aftertaste that I didn't much care for. The last taste I had from each sip was fruity (especially with orange peel flavor) and a little bit syrupy. If it weren't for this last step at the end, I would have liked the beer a lot more. I did like the fact that the bubbly texture emphasized the taste. All in all, decent enough, I'm glad I tried it, but there are better examples out there.

micahgoldfus, Oct 26, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz brown longneck bottle from blue dog in lansdale for $2.50 or so, poured into a dimple mug.

Cloudy with a decent size fluffy white head, okay retention and some lacing. Somewhat standard if a bit tame.

Smell seems a bit bitter or maybe just abrasive but as it warms a little bit it comes into its own, not great but the orange peel and yeast spiciness stand out well against a bit of booziness which I don't really appreciate in a wit. Taste is like a good wit with a little bit of everclear added. I'm not really sure what imperializing witbeirs is supposed to add to them exactly, but I don't think it works--in this one at least. Not bad, just unnecessary.

Mouthfeel is light, lively carbonation. No alcohol burn. No complaints.

Drinkability is high for a doubled beer. If you are in the market for a bigger belgian white than go ahead and grab one. I picked this up pretty cheap as a single bottle and it is definately worth trying but not worth seeking out.

wheelinshirt, Oct 22, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

On Tap @ the Brewery

A: Hazy reddish-orange with a dense white head.

S: Orange and coriander dominate the nose with a good dose of wheat thrown in for good measure. Hints of pepper too.

T:Starts off spicy and is followed by an orange zest flavor that's almost astringent. Over the top. Dry finish yet refreshing

M: A lot of carbonation, bubbling in the mouth

D: Very easy drinking especially on a hot summer day, i think this is a very nice stab at a double wit from river horse.

bonbini26, Sep 30, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a pretty tame head for a Wit; mediocre retention and just a little bit of lace

Smell: Yeasty spice, with a massive coriander/orange peel aspect; the alcohol is present on the nose

Taste: Orange bready flavors up front, with a big orange peel and coriander profile developing by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors fade and are replaced by quite a bit of fusel alcohol and some phenolics, although the orange peel lingers at the end

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: This beer has considerable promise but also some faults, although I would have to say I have run into these problems before with Imperial Wits (see Bell's, Batch 8000)

brentk56, Sep 21, 2008
River Horse Double Wit from River Horse Brewing Co.