Hipp-O-Lantern - River Horse Brewing Co.

Hipp-O-LanternHipp-O-Lantern

pDev: 13%
River Horse Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: NJpadreFan on 07-18-2010)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Brez07

Maine

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours an orange/amber (basically pumpkin) hue that yields a one finger sandy head. No lacing to speak of

S: Some pumpkin spice, nutmeg and burnt sugar. Kinda smells like pumpkin ice coffee

T: Definitely some pumpkin spice, not surprisingly. There's a bit of a sweetness to it, but not too much. Leaves an earthy aftertaste, which I'm not necessarily a fan of

M: Medium bodied. Crisp, tingly mouthfeel. Leaves an ever so slight bitterness on the palate

D: Very drinkable, especially at 9%. My glass was empty before I realized it. That being said, overall I was slightly disappointed by this beer as the other beers I've tried from this brewery were very tasty. The pumpkin doesn't stand out much except with a slightly off aftertaste

09-08-2010 21:40:55 | More by Brez07
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

A: cloudy amber brown with a nice sized head that doesn't dissipate.
S: Rich aroma of pumpkin with notes of cinnamon and all spice. It also has a slightly sweet aroma with some hints of alcohol.
T:Slight pumpkin flavor that is layered by the malt and spice. It doesn't come off as a pie as much as a good blend of spices and sweet pumpkin.
D/M: Crisp and heavy but still very drinkable but definitely leaves an aftertaste. Very creative name and it was great to see such a great beer from NJ

09-02-2010 01:37:27 | More by pzrhsau
roar1345

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +22%

this beer pours a hazy orange brown with a smallish off white head. it smells of pumpkin pie with whipped cream. the taste is awesome, pumpkiny with evened out spices. it leaves no bite on the tongue only a lingering taste of pumpkin pie and hops. the pumpkin isnt too overpowering; it goes well with the spices. not too thin of a beer either. i didn't notice it was 9 abv until i saw the bottle. this is a great beer.

08-29-2010 01:09:53 | More by roar1345
mdaschaf

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a DFH snifter glass

A: Had a dark copper color with a small head that dissipated quickly. A ring of small bubbles remained around the rim.

S: Very nice aroma, not overpowering at all. The nutmeg and cinnamon come through nicely. This beer smelled great, but I think it was just a tad on the weak side. However, in this style I would prefer it to be subtle than completely in my face.

T: A nice pumpkin flavor, the spices from the aroma come through when drinking it. There is a nice balance between the spices/pumpkin and the malt backbone.

M/D: This beer is smooth with just a bit of heat form the alcohol. It is my first pumpkin of the season, and I think does a pretty good job overall. It would make for a nice sipper this fall, I probably wouldn't drink more than two in an evening.

08-28-2010 17:24:39 | More by mdaschaf
Tomdee74

Connecticut

thanx to smutty33 for givin me one of these to try. and i am impressed.. i'm drinking it now and it holds up pretty solid to the other pumpkins out there.. and hats off to river horse for making an imperial pumpkin... this exceeded my expectations as i've had hop-o-lat-amus and some of their other stuff and i'd say it's just decent.. i'm not gonna do the whole ASTMD thing cuz i really don't know if many people give a s*** abot that to be honest.. but this was good.. very worthy of giving it a shot.. i will be picking this up on a near trip i'm sure.. I will say it's a solid B+..

08-25-2010 21:54:00 | More by Tomdee74
cds3717

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

A: The perfect color for a Pumpkin Ale in my opinion. A deep copper/ amber color on the verge of brown, that reminds me of the leaves about to change in Autumn. Head doesn't last long, but for this beer I don't consider that a flaw because I was so enthralled with the color.

S: I smelled the pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice, etc. (pumpkin spices) at first, then after awhile all I could make out was a great aromatic malty smell after the first few sips, unless I left it alone for a awhile (which was hard to do).

T: Same as the smell, the first few sips were all pumpkin bready with a nice malt background, then after a few more sips became more malty than anything until I let it be for a bit. (FYI the last sip is like WHAM! pumpkin spice!) There is still a hint of it, but the malt just takes the forefront, and that makes me love this beer more, because it tastes more like beer than other pumpkin ales, and less of a spice-bomb. A fantastic desert beer!

M: So I tried it both semi-cold and cold, and if semi-cold, its gonna be thinner and a little more astringent. If cold though, all you get is a full bodied, almost but not quite sticky, mouthfeel. Thats what I got, so I would recommend cold!

D: You will drink one quickly, NO PROBLEM! (You look down and can't believe its all gone!) More than one or two is hard to do though. Its too thick, heavy and strong to gulp tons of these down, but hey, its IMPERIAL!

I tried a couple other pumpkin beers with friends, and this took the cake. Its just not a novelty beer like many others, and tries to go back to the roots of being.... a beer!

08-24-2010 00:33:34 | More by cds3717
mikey711

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice amber color, with good clarity. the head was a bit heavier than i like and while it held well it did not leave good lacing

S: Slight pumpkin pie notes, some vegatative pumpkin notes, some nutmeg, cinnamon. A nice balance between sweetness and vegginess.

T: Nice pumpkin taste with some nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. I would have liked there to be more breadiness to give it a pumpkin pie like taste

M: There is a slightly astringent quality to it that is a bit off putting. A slight bit of heat present too

D: A solid pumpkin beer and my first of the season. I am sure ill have this one again in the coming months

08-18-2010 00:14:34 | More by mikey711
magnj

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

A little early for the style but I figured I'd try it fresh.

A - Deep caramel amber bordering on brown. Very clear, produced a generous head on an aggressive pour down the middle of my Guinness glass.

S - Sweet malty nose with some kind of spices offering a hint that it is a fall seasonal style, though I wouldn't guess pumpkin.

T - Sweet to very sweet all the way through, way balanced towards the malt, somewhat spicy. Although that may not be a terribly detailed description I will say that so far this is my favorite pumpkin beer I've had yet, most I find intolerable or at best boring. This one is tasty even on a warm night.

M/D - Full body that ends sticky, flavor lingers and as it fades the pumpkin an spices really shine through. Although it is sweeter than any I have tried it is really tasty, would probably be able to have a few if it was cooler. Impressed!

08-11-2010 23:47:35 | More by magnj
mfunk9786

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Reviewing this new pumpkin beer from River Horse at slightly above ideal temperature for a beer of this alcohol level, but I'll factor that into the review (I'd say it's at the mid-to-high 40s). First pumpkin beer of the season - I just couldn't wait!

A: Dark orange/light brown (do you see the glass half empty or half full?), with an off-white head that doesn't stick around for long. Not quite the startling orange color that Pumking has me all stuck-up and spoiled over, but quite nice.

S: Smell is slightly boozy, one certainly can detect the 9% ABV in the nose. Sort of smells like a nice pumpkin-flavored white wine, more than a beer. There's not a lot of typical beer attributes on the nose, all pumpkin spice and pumpkin meat.

T: Taste is much like the smell - certainly boozy, but with a nice allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin character. Certainly closer to a "pumpkin pie" beer than a beer with pumpkin characteristics, one can detect a bit of whipped cream sweetness, and there is very little hop or malt presence that's very perceptible. It's a pumpkin bomb, for better or worse (and this is my favorite style!). The boozy aftertaste makes this merely a lowly competitor rather than the [Pum]king of the pumpkin beer.

M: Boozy, and surprisingly thin for the alcohol content. One would expect an imperial of any style to have a lot more body, but it's surprisingly thin in the mouth and doesn't leave a whole lot of aftertaste, good or bad.

D: As a result of the thin-ish mouthfeel, it's a drinkable beer that may have you going through two or more in an evening if you're a fan of pumpkin beers. Definitely recommended for a go-around, and hats off to River Horse for making an imperial pumpkin ale.

08-11-2010 00:50:22 | More by mfunk9786
mrgrinch

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

I had the good fortune to bring a six-pack of this home from the River Horse Brewery in Lambertville. They had just finished brewing and bottling/kegging it for this season. There were a few cases available for purchase and I thought I would give it a rip.
Appearance - Dark, cloudy and orange. The carbonation is robust, very little head. A very even lacing. It looks good and vibrant!

Smell - I may have had it too chilled for ideal aroma analysis, but there is a distinct smell of pumpkin and spice. Very nice. Sweet and sharp at the same time. As it warmed up the flavors became very distinct. Reminds me of Thanksgiving at Grandma's house.

Taste - You can taste the pumpkin and spices which are not too overpowering. Clove? Nutmeg? This is definitely an Autumn beer. The alcohol is very notable in the finish.

Mouthfeel - The beer is not overly heavy and has a nice texture. I like the rapid carbonation. It adds a lightness to what is a full, sweet, and turbid beer.

Drinkability - This is a nice dessert beer. I would likely only drink one at a sitting, though.

08-01-2010 00:09:47 | More by mrgrinch
maltmonster

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz. bottle.

A - Pours a cloudy orange/brown with a one and a half finger off white head. The sight of an unfiltered pumpkin made this one look quite intriguing. Ever so slight lacing on the glass.

S - Smells alot like the typical pumpkin gambit. Lots of nutmeg and clove with a little cinnamon and a some nice pumpkin back there too.

T - This one was quite a bit spicier than I was expecting. The taste follows pretty closely with what i noted in the "smell" section. The pumpkin was very up front this time but transitioned to all spice on the finish; which was on the drier side. Overall a nice balance between spice and pumkin with just enough bitterness to keep it balanced.

M - Somewhat thick in the mouth. Of course it is unfiltered which naturally gives it a little extra chewiness.

D - It's an Imperial Pumpkin. Could I drink a whole six pack in a sitting - no. But I did give it slightly better than average because it did not get cloying, as some can get.

Overall I would give this beer a "Very Good" rating. It is one of the bigger pumpkins out there, aside from say ST Pumpking, and sure will take the chill out of a cool fall night. I would definately recomend it for anyone who likes a stronger pumpkin ale

07-27-2010 02:02:21 | More by maltmonster
NJpadreFan

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

River Horse- Imperial Pumpkin Ale (Hipp-O-Lantern)

A- Dark hazy/ cloudy caramel brown with a thick white head. Good head retention and nice ringed lacing down the glass.
S- Spicy nutmeg, cinnamon, and Pumpkin with hints of caramel and vanilla.
T- Sweet brown sugar and caramel malt with plenty of spices. Nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon really come through with pumpkin and roasted butternut squash.
M- Thick sweet malt with a dry spicy twang. Thick sugary feel throughout the mouth, slightly cloying. A touch of warm boozy Alc. pokes through in the end.

Overall- The 1st Pumpkin of the season and I think it sets the bar pretty high. 1 of my friends said, "tastes like Autumn", and that's a good thing!

07-18-2010 22:47:32 | More by NJpadreFan
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Hipp-O-Lantern from River Horse Brewing Co.