River Horse Special Ale Amber - River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Special Ale AmberRiver Horse Special Ale Amber

good

River Horse Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: rfgetz on 09-22-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 179 | Reviews: 38

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

4.42/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

very good by from river horse

4.37/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured to a nice, dense biscuit colored head which laced well and lasted. Appearance was a hazy with a reddish / amber color. Aroma was grainy with hints of malt, fruit and grass. Taste was of a strong malt and caramel front and finishing with a hoppy bitterness, kind of a grain finish. Mouthfeel was medium and carbonated. Aftertaste was dry and bitter. I liked this beer a lot, one of the best amber lagers I've had.

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

I'm not going to claim that the Special Ale is world-class or anything silly like that. But what other reviewers see as a defect, I see as this beer's best feature. Sometimes--often--daily--I crave a malty beer that isn't hopped to the gills. And that's what this beer is all about--loads and loads of tasty, tasty malt. Not for everyone, apparently, but if you're a weirdo like me who likes his malt and wants it now, you could do whole a lot worse.

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

I had off the tap at Wicked Monks in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

Nice deep red/brown color. Thick foamy, off-white head which leaves a good deal of lacing. Very slight malty scent.

This has a very pleasant nutty taste. A slight bit of chocolate. Some bitter hops, but slight. There's a soapy aftertaste in there. A slight sweetness. It's a dry taste, almost like a cask.

Nicely complex with nothing overbearing.

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a dark amber color. Small head sticks around and has a creamy texture.

I get caramel, and a sweetness like apple juice on the nose.

The taste follows. A really easy to drink, nice tasting, sweet beer. I get the malt up front, followed by apple juice and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is nice. It coats my mouth and doesn't have any off flavors so the drinkability is high as well. For 4.5%, I could easily drink a few, and I would not get tired of the taste.

There are far better ambers out there, but this is a great value around me.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Got this in a River Horse variety pack, which I was very happy with.

A: Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark red with a very large off white head with good retention.

S: Smells sweet, with caramel, brown sugar and roasted malts with a bit of hoppiness.

T: Caramel and brown sugar with some roasted coffee-like flavors as well. Light and clean hoppiness leads into a pretty dry finish.

M: Pretty light bodied and highly carbonated. Prickly. Nice.

O: A very good, flavorful and balanced amber ale, I wish I could find it in six packs, I could have a bunch of these at a time.

My thanks to tone 77 for coming by with a buncha bottles for me to try. It is nice to have someone local with whom to trade.

From the bottle: "Many of us here in the U.S. of A. consider ourselves to be "Special". We think this American Amber is pretty Special as well. Hope you enjoy it!"

I enjoyed pouring it into my glass and watching a dense finger of light-tan head being produced and experiencing decent retention at the outset of yet another sweltering afternoon. I also enjoyed gazing at its reddish-amber color with NE-quality clarity. I further enjoyed the pleasant admixture of grass hops and caramel malts on the nose. I gained enjoyment from its medium-to-full mouthfeel (not quite creamy, but close) and its taste with a seeming emphasis on hops. Finally, I enjoyed the extreme finish, which is when the malt really came into play. I had not tasted it much until then, but it lingered well after the swallow. Overall, an enjoyable beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
River Horse Special Ale Amber from River Horse Brewing Co.