Straub American Lager - Straub Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 246 | Reviews: 112
Reviews by tone77:
3.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some malts and grains. Taste is the same, grains, light malts, pretty refreshing and easy drinking. Feels light bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent brew, especially on a warm day.

3.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Sampled: 16 oz. bottle, in pint glass. Bright amber/gold, with a reasonable head.

Aroma: Could be the prototypical American lager, in a good way. The taste is inoffensive - yeah, there's corn in here, but there's a husky malt graininess to counter the corn flavor and just enough hops (way) in the background to keep things happy. Finishes remarkably clean.

Millions of Pennsylvanian lawns have been mowed with this beer riding along. Eerily similar to the first bottle of Koch's Golden Anniversary beer I ever tried back when it was still brewed in Dunkirk. Entirely drinkable when ice cold, and not all that offensive when it warms up a bit. If in the area, I'd take this over IC or Rolling Rock in a heartbeat.

3.13/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz twist of bottle out of my neighbors cooler poured into a glass. i was chillin on my back porch and my neighbor brought this over for me to try. Thanks Phil!

pours out a crystal clear golden yellow color with a decent looking white head. just a little lace and some pretty average retention.

not much of an aroma, typical for the style. corn and maybe a touch of mineral water.

almost a creamy cooked corn taste with some mineral water flavored lager yeast. the faintest kiss of herbal and floral hops and just a hint of cereal grains.

light bodied and crisp, carbonation is definatly high, but not super fizzy like most macro lagers.

overall: this is definatly a nice summer session lawn mower beer. easy to put back, refreshing, thirst quenching and nothing offensive. much better than anything BMC.

3.28/5  rDev +1.5%

Hey this is a solid all grain brew that definitely reserves some props for staying true to it's original recipe. It pours a nice golden hue with a real head not all artificial carbonation. It is really light in body, and relatively light in taste. The taste consists of a mellow sweetness from the grain along with corn adjuncts plus the perfect amount of hops for bitterness. The aroma is full of nothing but a light scent of two row barley malt. Very simple, yet completely refreshing and drinkable. Better than any macro on the map.

2.7/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start with the Good side- any brewery that has survived as long as these guys must be doing something right. You just can't buy the history and heritage these guys have. I understand that they close the brewery at deer hunting time so all the employees can get out!

The beer? It is certainly drinkable. However, very light in appearance, grain/grassy aroma, not much taste or finish.

The label reads No sugar, no salt, all grain beer- so I guess they are going for a healthy positioning. I wish small brewers would leave that crap to Aspen or MichUltraWeak.

Anyway, a piece of PA history.

3.38/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyable, slightly sweet lager. Fine choice if you enjoy the guilty pleasure of an occasional macro lager. Especially if you'd rather get something relatively small and local.
Nice straw color with a wee bit of head, and nice sustained carbonation. Malty, sweet nose, maybe a hint of apple cider. Taste is also mostly malty, with what i believe is the taste of corn. It just doesn't taste like a true all malt lager.
Nice mouth feel with the sweetness balanced by a bit of hop bitterness. Also very drinkable, you can easily enjoy one or two of these on a hot summer day in central PA.
Truth be told, i bought this beer only for the case of 1 pint bottles for homebrewing. That being said, i've more than enjoyed consuming the contents of the bottles. Certainly an above average macro lager.

3.46/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a pale golden yellow with 1/4" of foamy white head that quickly fades to a thin frothy lacing. There are carbonation bubbles that can be seen rising to the top the entire time this beer is in the glass. The smell is purely grainy. The taste is a light graininess, smooth pilsner malt, and light grassy hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is well carbonated, clean, smooth, and light.

This is an easy drinking, lawnmower beer. I grew up on this beer. Every time I go back to PA I pick up a six pack for nostalgia before leaving.

3.32/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The label says "All Grain Beer", which I guess means they're using corn as an adjunct (it's still a cereal grain). Nice appearance. Light straw gold with a foamy, bright white head - which unfortunately dies almost immediately. Malty nose with some hops present. Good, creamy mouthfeel with a mellow maltiness and exceptional balance - teetering on being a touch sweet but not quite there. Good finish with malt and hop. Very refreshing. A well made beer except for the head retention.

2.9/5  rDev -10.2%

Comes a green bottle with a touch of skunk, which melts away after a few minutes. Maybe I'm missing something here. This beer is rated very highly for the style, but I don't find it to be any better than your typical, inoffensive macro or Euro pale lager. There's no DMS or cooked corn aroma, but at the same time this beer doesn't smell like much of anything and tastes just as good. The term watery comes to mind, there's just plain malts and with a little lager character for slight kick at the end. Not bad for lawnmower beer I suppose.

3.06/5  rDev -5.3%

Straub American Lager brewed by Straub Brewery with an ABV of 4.3. This brew pours out of a green bottle with a nice amber color. There is a small white head that goes away fast. The smell is skunky , but you pick up on some malt and grains. Not really big on the smell of this brew. The taste is skunky with a hit of grains. Straub is a light brew. After you get 1/2 way down it is a smooth brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out 5. I was expecting more out of this brew.
You got to give this brew a chance. After drinking two of these this brew goes down smooth. You have to get over the skunkyness of this brew.

3.07/5  rDev -5%

After reading some positive reviews, I decided to give Straub a try, picking up a case of the brown pint bottles. (No freshness dates on mine, unless I missed 'em somehow.)

Won't win any awards for appearance -- pours a pale apple-juice gold.
Yields a small head that's nice for a minute or two, but ultimately doesn't last, save for a few resolute shreds of lace.

The beer does not overflow with flavor. But the taste is a small notch above the macros, I'd say, with pleasant light touches of malt and hops.
Mild flavor and gentle carbonation make this an easy beer to drink a lot of.

Bottom line: The main reasons to buy this beer have little to do with what's in the bottle.
It's brewed by local guys with a long tradition in Nowhere, Pa., using (they say) only pure ingredients, and that's something to be respected and supported.
But the beer itself really doesn't rise above the level of lawnmower status ... and if you can't get it at PA prices (I think I paid $16 a case), it's probably not worth it.

Incidentally, I'll also add that I hate the labels, which inform me at least three times that "no salt, no sugar, no preservatives" were used.
As I said, I respect it, but I don't need to be hit over the head with it.

2.68/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice mouthfeel and aftertaste. The actual taste isn't much. It throws you off cause it is a microbrewery but their beers aren't very edgy at all...they taste very mainstream.

They do have a nitch with the no preservatives but the beer is just average.

2.98/5  rDev -7.7%

ok A church function in Western Pa. Parson Wilson brings out a tray of bottled Straub and some glasses. "Would you care for a beer sir?"...I reply, "Well, I don't mind if I do." I get strange looks when I ask for a second then a third. I'm almost embarrassed to ask where the bathroom is in their 110,000 square foot mansion but I finally do and on my way I pass through the porch which has a paper back of some bird watching reference manual.

Its a fine beer. Might be spectacular marketed as a light lager.

3.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Introduced to this on a hot July day at a Norfolk Tides game. Maybe the hot weather countered by a cold beer...or because with friends at the best minor league team ever, but this is a decent beer.

Sure, pours (into a plastic ballpark cup) a pale yellow without much head, but it was at a disadvantage (see aforementioned cup). Very beery smell. Wheaty and alcoholic notes.

Taste is more than you'd expect thus far. Sure beats the usual inbev junk they often serve. Flavor mirrors the scents. Malty.
Not too carbonated.
Actually quite drinkable. If you need a starter beer to introduce your "miller lite" friends to local brews, this is the beer. Not too different, but can start someone down the road to real beer.

4.35/5  rDev +34.7%

A 16 oz pounder purchased at Breski's in Harrisburg, PA.

A: The ale is a bright, clear yellow color, looking like a jolly rancher dissolved in a glass of sprite. There are no imperfections in the glass, creating a translucent brew. The head was big, over 2 fingers of fluffy foam.

S: The nose is grainy sweet, with green apple tartness abounding.

T: The mouthfeel is, like the nose, dominated by the malt body. The graininess is unmistakeable, fostering a fruity sweetness that has apple and biscuity cornbread flavors. Hoppy bitterness is minimal, serving to balance out the malt only and, despite abundant carbonation, there is no bubble activity on the tongue.

M: The ale is light-bodied, refreshing with a nice finish. This beer, as I've said before, is a true gem. A macro lager that I never hesitate to reach for.

D: Great pounder for an all night drinkin' session, the flavors are not offensive. In fact they are quite nice.

3.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Bottled on 12/19/06, but was kept refrigerated at the store I bought it from (also is in a dark brown bottle instead of the traditional green bottle I'm used to seeing it in). Served in a pint glass, Straub pours a clear straw yellow/gold color with a small white head. It smells like grain, malt and some grassy hops. The beer tastes the way it smells, and it has an overall sweet taste with some bitterness in the finish. Decent flavor for this style of beer, with good balance. Mouthfeel is light, and finishes clean. Drinkability is good, I could easily have this as a session beer. Overall it's a decent brew, I'm glad I can now buy this beer in Ohio.

2.23/5  rDev -31%

Appearance: Pours a light golden yellowwith a bright white head with a surpriseing desent laceing.

Smell: Has a ever so slightly skunkiness, corn, rice wine, not much alcohol to note.

Taste: The flavors are very much like a japanese rice wine. Light flavor and not much there. No alcohol to not. Not impressed.

Mouthfeel: Light in body mild carbonation clean crisp not bad but not up to my personal likeing.

Drinkability: I heard good things about this beer but in my own opinion this beer did not meet these expectations. Glad to have tried it but would not try again.

Cheers2Beers

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Some of the most useful reviews on BA compare tastes of one beer to another and make it much easier (for me) to understand the rather subjective notion of taste. In this case, I'd compare Straub with Rolling Rock. The difference is that Straub has a better taste and no strange aftertaste (something that limits me to one or two RR's... The RR aftertaste, I've been told, is due to the formation of DMS, a sulfur compound that is a by-product of some lager yeasts and whose flavor/aroma is often compared to cabbage, canned corn, and boiled vegetables.) Straub, by contrast, tastes clear and clean. In the realm of comparing similarly priced adjunct (regional) macro lagers, this is a keeper. Smooth, easy to drink, nicely carbonated, refreshing, balanced taste, and (given its limited distribution area--PA and Ohio only, I think) quite fresh tasting as well. If you can find it, try it. Great stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured from 16oz Returnable bottles.
Very light in appearance with moderate head retention and produces nice lacing. Scent of biscuits and grassy hops much like typical Helles style lagers. The taste is well balanced and has light feel. I'd have 2 or 3 of these on a hot summer evening.

3.92/5  rDev +21.4%

An excellent, everyday kind of beer. Nope, nothing special about it, but it's the kind of beer that after a long day at work really hits the spot. Appearance is just a plain yellow, but the taste is easygoing. The way I see it is if you're throwing your money at the big guys (Bud, Coors, etc.) why not give it to the smaller breweries like Straub? Better taste plus you'll feel better about where your dollars are going.

2.82/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearence: Straw, clear yellow with a thin white head that's gone in a second. Very little carbonation.

Smell: The smell is a mix of rice and corn, but not in a horrible way.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Clean, smooth and refreshing. Not complex, or very interesting tasting, but not horrible. The mouthfeel is slick and smooth.

Drinkability and Overall: As for as "macro" lagers go, it's not bad. I'd drink it if nothing else were available. But after about half the glass, I'm done with it.

2.97/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Straub American Lager has a thin-to-medium, white head, a rather hazy, yellow-gold appearance, noticeable white sediment suspended throughout, lots of streaming bubbles, and some splotchy lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, biscuity malt and grassy hops. The flavor is of those elements, with a tiny hop bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Straub American Lager finishes crisp and refreshing, but a little flat on flavor.

RJT

2.69/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz green glass twist-off. Appears to have been bottled around 6 months ago if I'm reading the freshness information correctly.

Pours into a Pilsener glass light straw gold with a finger of white froth. The head actually lasts for a few minutes before wearing away for good. Light, but active, carbonation.

Hopless aroma but malty (mostly corn). A tad rubbery, unfortunately.

Tastes rather sweet with a twinge of bitterness to complete the thought. Not much of an aftertaste. If I didn't have a short-term memory I'd have no way of realizing that I just drank this stuff.

With all that being said, it's not completely terrible given the macro-alternatives out there. I wouldn't turn down a Straub at a summer barbecue, I can say that much.

2.19/5  rDev -32.2%

I cannot get this beer in Cincinnati but I have an aunt in Pittsburgh who was kind enough to bring me a case when she visited this weekend.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Straw yellow with a fizzy head that reduces to a ring very quick. Carbonation is not too high which is a plus.
The smell of this beer is sour grain and doesn't draw you in at all. I would rather there be little smell as opposed to this. It just smells sour and stale. It has a very similar smell to Rolling Rock. I really don't think I got a bad batch. My case was sealed shut and the bottles are brown unlike the picture shown.

Based on reviews here I was already dissapointed because I really wanted to like this beer and I knew at that point exactly what I was in for. All Grain Brew is the perfect description as noted on the case. One big gigantic ADJUNCT smack all the way down the throat with a fizzy tingle on the tongue. It leaves you with the same empty feeling as any BMC product out there (sans Miller High Life - that is better than this hands down). The label says no sugar, salt, or preservatives added -> thats a new one. I haven't been a member of BA very long but this is the first time a disagree with a rating for a beer. There is no way this is the best rated American Macro. I have tried every beer in the top 10 except for two. This doesn't belong. Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz deliver far more in this segment when it comes to flavor and full-bodied (as you can get for the style) taste.

2.56/5  rDev -20.7%

I recall liking this beer a lot when I first had it 4 years ago...man my tastes have changed.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color with an airy, white head. Retention was poor, and lacing minimal.

Aroma: Slight spicy hop aroma (maybe Saaz) no maltiness present, though.

Taste: There is a definite spicy hop character typical of a pilsner style lager. However atypical of the pilsner is the fact that the malt backbone is almost nonexistent.

Mouthfeel: Very, very watery...much too light for my liking.

Drinkability: I find it harder and harder to drink watery beers, but on a hot day it would be easy to quaff a couple.

to view more.