Peter Straub's Special Dark - Straub Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Straub Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: k75 on 10-28-2007)
Reviews by MaltyGoodness:
MaltyGoodness

3.18/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear amber color with a small white head that maintains. Decent lacing on the glass.

Light, fresh caramel malt aroma.

Light caramel malt flavor. Faintest hint of hops, very light bitterness. Finishes clean and dry.

Thin body, decent carbonation.

Decent summer quencher, similar flavor to the original Straub beer with a little more pronounced malt.

08-17-2008 02:56:00 | More by MaltyGoodness
dogfishandi

3.35/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle, bottled on 07 09 10.
thanks to my nieghbor phil for bringing this over.

pours a clear copper amber color, nice red hues in the light. about 2 fingers of white soapy head that faded to ring and then eventually nothing. no real lace.

not a huge aroma. slightly toasted grains, corn, and a little lager funk.

nice clean taste. nice doses of caramelized toasted grains, a slight herbal hop note, with a touch of bitterness and a little bit of a mineral taste.

very clean and smooth on the palate. crisp carbonation. light to medium in body.

very easy to drink, could session these easily.

10-10-2010 20:54:07 | More by dogfishandi
Putter

4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

02-05-2012 03:35:52 | More by Putter
tdm168

3.45/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at Aiello's in Ridgway, PA. If I had to be in Ridgway with family I should at least be drinking.

Pours a pale amber with a thin frothy lacing of head. There's noticeable carbonation rising to the top throughout. The nose is grainy with a note of sugary sweetness. The taste is grainy and straw-like up front with a sweet, syrupy, almost candy-like, chewy caramel finish. The mouthfeel is well-carbonated, clean, and light.

This is another easy drinking beer from Straub. The only real difference between this and their regular offering is the sugary, caramel finish, but it's enough of a difference to make me prefer this over the original.

11-14-2011 00:26:26 | More by tdm168
NeroFiddled

3.6/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Clear. Deep amber with a crimson cast and deep gold and orange highlights. Creamy off-white head. Average head retention. Little lacing.
S: There's a hint of dark malts in the nose. It's nutty, and perhaps a bit toasty. No hops.
T: Average maltiness. Nice bit of toastiness. Balanced. No hop flavors present.
M: Light/medium in body and crisp.
D: Nothing detracts, but nothing inspires. Easy to drink, but not compelling.

12-12-2010 23:07:52 | More by NeroFiddled
tempest

3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

On-tap at tap at the Grey Lounge Pub.

Looks a dark brown with almost no head. Immediately I'm struck that while this is a very drinkable beer, it's far too clean, with just some sweet dark malts and no hops, like there isn't enough flavor and there's zero aftertaste. I guess I'd make up a style and call it an American dark macro lager for an easy way to describe it..

01-27-2008 23:53:12 | More by tempest
slaman992003

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%

The beer came from a tap. Smelled, tasted and thought not great, but not bad. The thing that concerned me was whether the beer was carbonated or not. Asked the server if this was normal. They replied that this was normal, it was supposed to enhance the smooth feel. This reminded me of my homebrews that I was too impatient to wait for my forced carbonation. You get the head, but no bubbles are coming up from the glass.

Assuming this is more of a "bitter" style of carbonation/session beer, here are my comments :

Aroma - malty and I picked up something that was like plum or grape or ? No hop aroma that I could pick up.

Appearance - beer was clear, color was right for an amber, started with a slight head that went to just a thin white ring around the glass.

Taste -- I thought the taste was not bad, but it was the mouthfeel that seemed watery and this was hard to separate.

drinkability - I finished the pint, but would not have ordered it again. Needs more carbonation - even to get to what I would think was 1.5 volumes....

Nice diversion, wish it was better...

10-24-2008 23:06:29 | More by slaman992003
tone77

3.53/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a brownish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is on the malty side. Taste is of malts, a bit nutty, just a touch of hops is present at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

07-30-2011 15:32:07 | More by tone77
akorsak

3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Al's of Hampden.

A: The lagerbier is a darker color, relatively speaking. It looks like a copper penny, or the bottle it came in. The beer remains translucent though. A finger of head from the first pour disappeared without lacing.

S: The lager has a sweet caramel aroma mixed with a mild nut/toffee combination. Not much hop-wise.

T: Much like the regular Straub varietal, the beer delivers a solid, no-frills punch. Caramel malts aren't as forward as in the nose. Instead, the lighter bready flavors come through much stronger. The syrupy caramel flavors wait for the end of each sip. A mild hoppy flavor runs through just before the caramel, adding a nice touch.

M: The mouthfeel is lighter, as I'd expect from Straub's, but it isn't lifeless by any stretch. The caramel is solid and the hops running through the beer stand out.

D: It's nothing special, but I like it. My first beer of the weekend and it gets things off to a good start. Sigh, I'd take cans of this for a tailgate any day.

10-09-2009 22:38:45 | More by akorsak
CraftBeerTastic

2.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Ba Review #168
Served On: 05/27/2012
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: -

This was from a case I bought at Self Serve Beverage in York, PA.

Look: Poured from the 12oz. bottle (screw top). Color was a fairly clear copper. Some sparse carbonation bubbles were floating upward. The head was virtually nonexistent.

Smell: Aroma consisted of a roasty sweetness. Some standard ‘beer’ notes were detected. Maybe some adjunct also came through.

Taste: Upfront slightly roasted note with a touch of sweetness. Then a dry corn or rice adjunct character seemed to dominate the middle. The finish was rather clean with the roasted note retuning for a few moments.

Overall this is a basic beer. I would certainly take this over a BMC offering any day. Plus the Straub’s is a brewery near my hometown in Western, PA – so that should warrant a point or two. I mean - this isn't quite your dad's beer, but it's close.

05-27-2012 18:24:15 | More by CraftBeerTastic
k75

2.63/5  rDev -18.1%

on tap at Zeno's in state college - thanks Wyatt Earp

well, It is a Straub...! no doubt about that.

Dark? well, it is barely light amber.
It has the same aroma and flavor profile as regular Straub.

thin body
corn husk aroma
vegetable finish

choose only for the sake of the family run business or when you are pinching pennies.

k75

10-28-2007 02:53:02 | More by k75
CLAZZ51

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

05-05-2012 21:17:17 | More by CLAZZ51
plaid75

3.2/5  rDev -0.3%

On draft at Six Penn in Pittsburgh.

Poured a medium amber hue with a one finger frothy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light grainy malt with a touch of caramel.

The taste was rather neutral with some sweet malts and a balancing grassy hop. A touch of doughiness at the finish.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a decent and easy enough to drink lager.

08-02-2009 02:44:24 | More by plaid75

Adastra

07-10-2014 20:14:46 | More by Adastra
bob3701

3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured into a shaker pint. I like Straub lager but it is hard for me to get. I was extemly pleased to see Special Dark and a bit surprised when I poured it and it was not dark at all; yes it is much darker than their flagship beer. My disappointment ended with my first sip. A little bit of malty sweetness and citrusy undertones. Very clean and crisp like the lager. Head disappears into nothing and no lacing. I always think of Straub as the little engine that could.

12-18-2009 22:51:19 | More by bob3701
MikeAmelsgone

2.8/5  rDev -12.8%

A- poured a caramel color with about a half inch to 3/4 inch of head. Lacing dissipates quickly. Initially I was thrown off by the coloring; however I was deceived by the title "special dark" which made me forget that it was an amber lager.

S- Smelled as if someone threw up on a spice rack. No distinct scents arise; this beer is somewhat complex in scent, but not in an enjoyable way. Hard to pick our the exact scent that you're smelling. Hard to even relate it to any specific foods.

T- Caramel and butterscotch. Very grainy with no real malt coming through. Very light hop flavor that disappears almost immediately. Actually tastes somewhat like a medium-dry red table wine. Not a simple beer, but the complexity is not desirable. There is also a chocolaty flavor that contradicts the caramel and butterscotch. It tastes as if too much is going on in your mouth at once: a genuine fiesta with terrible music and people you don't really like.

D- Very watery. I expected it to be heavier. Carbonation was close to what I expected, light to moderate. Goes down easily and isn't a complete disappointment. Drinkability increases after about 1 or 2. This is not due to the effects of alcohol, but it is because the flavor needs some time to grow on you.

06-26-2009 18:42:13 | More by MikeAmelsgone
pogoowner

3.5/5  rDev +9%

04-04-2012 22:29:59 | More by pogoowner
BeerCon5

2.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pours a dark amber color with very little head.

S: The scent is mostly some sweet grain and some yeast.

T: The taste consists of toasty biscuit and a bitter finish.

M: Pretty thin mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

D: Average drinker. Wasn't really too impressed with this.

05-28-2008 19:03:48 | More by BeerCon5
jlindros

2.78/5  rDev -13.4%

Another Penn local beer thanks to Noslenwerd.

A: Semi large frothy head fades very quickly as all the big and little bubbles pop. Its a very clear toasty amber semi dark brownish orange color with lots of bubbles rising from the etch at the bottom of my SA Perfect Pint glass.

N: A definite lager aroma, but cheaper lager. Lots of sweet malts, slightly toasty, a strange funky sock aroma, (oh shit, I better put my sneakers back on). Oh wait, that didn't change it, still has that used gym sock aroma. Lots of sweet and mellow malts with that at least.

T: Ummm, here goes... well, not too bad at first. A definite lager taste, somewhat cheaply done lager, or extract lager. A slight toasty malt flavor, lots of sweet malts, and even pretty sweet taste. Some darker malts that are really light. A little watery even with all that.

M: Light and watery, almost no carbonation for how many bubbles are there.

F: Semi crisp, little lingering malt... wait, no, theres really nothing. It just ends, like a story that your dog at the last 20 pages and you don't really get the finish. WTF! My mouth is like "I swear I just had some beer but I don't detect any. I'm not lying brain or stomach... nose, you remember it right? Am i going crazy?" No, I did have a couple sips, but the finish is nowhere to be found. They should call this Peter Straub's special bland cause it's so bland... get it? Eh, never mind, but really this beer was wicked bland and unappealing. Plus the dirty gym sock aroma.

Sorry drew, not the best beer you've sent, in fact I think the worst (although that's saying a lot as you sent a ton of great beers). I'm sure you know the feeling though.

04-05-2010 00:09:11 | More by jlindros
woodychandler

3.5/5  rDev +9%

Man, my local trader, tone77 laid a buncha bottles on me on our last trade and now he is coming by on Monday with more! I gotta get caught up or I will be drowning in beer!

Here we go! I am sure that you have heard the adage "Once you've had [dark], you'll never go [bark]" and I am on a sudden Dark kick, thanks to both tone77 and this honey honey across the bar from me on Sunday. I would have loved to buy her a drink, but I was in the minority among the clientele and I have learned that lesson previously. Maybe a return visit ...

From the bottle: " A unique Amber Lager perfected through generations of family brewing"; "Brewed with Pennsylvania mountain spring water".

I went with another aggro pour, resulting in a finger-and-a-half of dense tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep coppery color that on a natural redhead makes me crazy. I was in love! Nose had the characteristic lager sweetness, but without the nasty adjuncts that often get in the its way. A redheaded fellow Pennsylvanian from our Northern Tier?!? I was ready to elope! I would gladly relocate, but southcentral PA may be more compelling to many. The beer simply danced across my tongue, perhaps a bit thinly/lightly than I may have desired, but the taste was clean, unadulterated lager with just a hint of roastiness. Finish was semi-dry with a light cocoa-like sweetness that lingered. Come back, baby! I promise to go slower the next time.

11-24-2011 22:21:18 | More by woodychandler
VikeMan

11-19-2011 20:02:36 | More by VikeMan
OWSLEY069

2.3/5  rDev -28.3%

POurs a amber-ish color with a small white head. In the aroma, small caramel and a small roastiness. In the taste, a small roasty malt, with a caramel presence, somewhat watery. A smooth and light mouthfeel, with a semi dry roasty aftertaste. Quite light and watery for a dark lager.

07-06-2008 22:27:58 | More by OWSLEY069