Straub American Light - Straub Brewery

Straub American LightStraub American Light

Straub Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  3.20% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-03-2002)
Reviews by PSUguru:
4.25/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Very similar to regular Straub but a bit watered down feel. You have to remember what you've got here, a light beer, and that's exactly what it is. They did a good job at retaining some body and hops to keep a decent feel to the beer. But lets go to the play by play.

Appearance: I like the look of most beers and this was no different. Maybe I was a little too generous here. Nice froth that quickly faded to a lace but not to pale on the color as most light beers are.

Smell: Much weaker smell than regular Straub but still brings back memories.

Mouthfeel: For being so light with only 96 calories the beer still has decent body and the hop flavor is still present. Much better in this category than the big three.

Drinkability: This is a beer that anyone can drink and enjoy. Its nothing extremely special as far as flavor goes but what do you expect out of an inexpensive light beer? Its definitely a decent choice for a beer to stock in the fridge by I wouldn't put it on special reserve.

Conclusion: This is a good inexpensive alternative to Bud Light, Miller Lite, or Coors Light and a good way to support a small guy. If you are looking for something to knock away your tastebuds this isn't it. Straub Light is great for what it is.

That's that on Straub Light...

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.38/5  rDev +14.6%

I haven't had this beer since I moved from Ridgway back in 2003. I appreciate my father bringing a case down on his recent visit.

A - bright yellow gold with a thin, fizzy, white head that has little retention; a lot of carbonation rising to the top

S - grainy, corn sweetness, maybe some grass

T - grainy, grassy, slightly bitter

M - light bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a decent light lager. There are just enough hops to keep the palate slightly interested. It's a bit sweet, but it doesn't have any of the offensive notes that often plague this style. It's a very light, easy to drink, refreshing lawn mower beer.

2.88/5  rDev -2.4%

This is obviously Straub beer with a percentage of water added to thin it a bit and reduce calories. It's not bad, and I've had worse light beers... but the Straub beer is so much better. This loses the malt character and mouthfeel that made the original so nice. The aroma is reduced to a generic "beer" note, the flavor loses that "on the brink of sweetness" character and becomes almost just carbonated "malty" water, and the finish just leaves a touch of dryness. An OK beer for hunting or fishing, but not quite up to the backyard BBQ level!

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, grains, a touch of corn is present. Taste is also mild, some grains, a malt or 2, just a faint hint of hops. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not the worst light beer I have had, it's nothing special.

2.98/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Very light with decent head retention. crystal clear

Smell: biscuity but not much aroma

Taste: Balanced for a light beer

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Feels like cabonated mineral water due to lack of body. I would only have 1 and move on to something with more body and malts.

2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer is a very pale yellow and clear. Lots of tiny bubbles racing from the bottom og the glass. It poured a thick white fluffy head. Head retention was fairly good, and there is some lacing on the sides of the glass. Grainy nose, slightly grassy. Very pale taste. As others have said, watery. A hint of sweetness and grassy flavor, but overall not much of a flavor at all. Light body, high carbonation. It is cold, and easy to drink, but not much to look forward to here.

3.08/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearence: Pale gold beneath a tiny, quickly dissapearing white head. Good clairty, very little carbonation.

Smell: Smells like adjunct-laden shit water, but it says it's all grain? Whatever.

Taste and Mouthfeel: As far as light beers go, this one's damn tasty. Stack this up to any other craft beer, it's shitty. Watered-down cereal flavor. That's it.

Drinkability and Overall: Hey, it's better than a Coors Light.

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a very light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a mostly light corn aroma. Some doughiness was detectable.

The taste consisted of a light flaked corn and mildly biscuity non-adjunct grain.

The mouthfeel was clean.

Overall an easy drinking light beer. Low ABV makes drinking one or two of these negligible.

2.85/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Pretty much the same as the regular but almost water color yellow like pee. Had fizzes out to nothing quickly too.
S - Again pretty close to the original with corn adjacent, some hops faint if any and bready malts.
T - Well it drinks rather well for a light beer hops hidden, kind of watery but decent beer body. Corn isn't skunky.
M - Way to easy to pound I had like 12 in a night and it didn't even get me drunk. What is the allure of light beer?

Overall the price is right and it taste 50% better than BMC light beers but with such a low ABV I will never split a case again. OK beer I guess...

First of all I must say I do not generally drink or like light beer. I visited the Straub brewery today and bought a case of Straub Light brown bottles on site for $10. I have never gotten 24 bottles for only $10 in my life. So I had very little expectations for this beer. Expecting to hate it I has pleased that I did not hate it, like I thought I would. I would also not say that it was good. It was however drinkable, and many macro light beers just taste like dirty water to me. The label reads: "Average Analysis, per 12 FL. OZ., calories 96, carbohydrates 7.6 grams, protein 1.1 grams, fat 0.0 grams”.

Appearance: This is the most clear watery beer I have ever seen. Very light yellow tint to the water. I got a 2 finger pure white head like you'd get from tonic water. It was that white! Very fizzy! Visually and audibly fizzy. You can hear the bubbles as well as see lots of carbonation rising to the top.
Smell: Unique. To put it one way. First of all the smell is very subtle and hidden, but what is there is obviously corn followed by a wheaty grainy sort of dirty musty smell. It is not as bad as that sounds but it is very strange. Maybe that is a bit of corn oil I’m getting. If you poured tonic water in a barrel of corn and straw and let it bake for a while you might get this smell. I don't know? As the beer warmed up I got more smell but the taste got worse (more dirty rice flavor appeared) so I'd suggest drinking this as cold as possible (different than any craft beer, I know).
Taste: Like the smell the taste is very subtle and hidden. This beer mostly tastes like water. Buried in that water somewhere is the corn and grain flavors. As someone who does not like the taste of light macro beers, I liked the fact that I did not taste much. I mostly got an ice cold drink of fizzy yellow water that nicely added alcohol to bloodstream without offending my tongue (taste buds) in the process.
Mouthfeel: Much better than I'd have expected but still extremely watery and thin. Light weight but very fizzy. Extremely high carbonation for this type of beer. There was a bit of malt character that I noticed but I really had to dig for it.
Drinkability: As I said before, I typically won't even drink this type of beer so the very fact that I just put down 3 of them should say something. It drinks like water. I'd say this is a beer for chugging during a day of hard physical labor. It is mostly water with a bit of relaxing alcohol. Also the ABV is very low (not clear how low) so it won't impair your ability to still get work done. This is not a beer I would choose when I want to sit and enjoy the beer, there is not much here to enjoy (or offend).

I would say this is by far the best (meaning the least offensive) of all the light beers I have ever had. (you know those other guys). This is the base line, I would say, light beers should strive to reach as a minimum expectation that is acceptable. That is why it ended up getting 3s across the board, from my review.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

1.23/5  rDev -58.3%

12 oz. bottle supplied by my father-in-law.

Pours a pale, pale, pale straw color. Quite fizzy, although not much head. No lacing.

Almost no smell, I might be imagining some hint of malt...

Tastes like nothing. Barely any beer taste, just fizzy water.

Super thin, quite fizzy, but more like seltzer water.

I could not drink more than a few sips, just enough to complete my review. Luckily, my dog likes it so it's not a total loss.

2.88/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz can poured into pint glass.
At 3.2% abv and weighing in at 96 calories, this is a seriously light beer. Color is palest of pale yellow. Head starts big and fizzles quickly. Smells grainy with a hint of lavender or something. Taste is suprisingly decent for what it is. Noticeable malt flavor with little to no adjunct flavor. Very smooth and slick mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation zip. Not a world-class beer but is a nice alternative to BMCs light offerings.

4.03/5  rDev +36.6%

Can into pint glass. Drank the rest straight from the can.

Not your typical yellow fizzy beer. Very clear and bright but golden. Not a strange yellow.

Smells good. Muted pilsner malt smell and apple juice sweetness.

Surprising amount of malt flavor for a light beer.

Nice and smooth with good carbonation. Creamy maltiness. Not too thin and watery.

Amazing for the style. With the low abv, you can drink many, wake up, hit the gym and go to work no problem. Far superior to any macro light beer.

2.73/5  rDev -7.5%

CAN you believe that they only recently began putting this beer in a CAN? Thanks to the good people of Straub who brought some to the Millvale Fest yesterday and gave me a CAN each to review.

I got a finger of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was very light, lightly sweet. Color was a pale-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a very dry taste on the palate. Finish was slightly dry, somewhat light, not bad for a Light beer. Still, this version or Leaded (Regular)? Straub Green in the new neon CAN, baby!

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a clear straw yellow color. Nice booming head diminishes to a thin one that leaves random chunks of lacing. The aroma is real faint. Faint aroma of citrus, corn and very faint malt aroma. The taste follows the nose pretty much. It really does taste like a light version of the regular Straub.

There is nothing really amazing about this beer. Simply, it is a nice refreshing light beer that's drinkable when you just want a dam beer. Straub is a staple in my house. The fact that it comes in cans is a bonus in my book. It is always nice to support the locals.

1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

2.35/5  rDev -20.3%

This was a very light beer. It had almost no head that disapated very quickly and laced very little. The smell was average. The taste was ok in the begining then it turned to grass/straw taste. It was quite watery and mouthfeel was very thin.

I had one of these when I got in from doing some yard work. It was refreshing when it was ice cold but definitely not a beer to save for a special occasion

3.05/5  rDev +3.4%

A quaffable light lager, but nothing special. Pours out to a light yellow color with a head like a Dr. Pepper. Medium high level of carbonation. Aromas are weak to the point of nearly being absent, but traces of sweetness and light hops could be observed. Taste? Not much, some sweet cereal grains, and that's about it. Somehow, this beer is still better than any other light lager i've had that's mass produced. Mouthfeel was slighlty zesty, with the carbonation giving the beer a refreshing kick. Drinkability just north of average. Wish stuff like this was available in MI. Special thanks to MaltyGoodness for the sample.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: The muts took a liking to this, but as I found it quaffable as well, their portion was rather limited.

Straub American Light from Straub Brewery