Straub American Amber - Straub Brewery

Straub American AmberStraub American Amber

Straub Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: DerekP on 05-06-2012)
Tbrookchris

07-16-2014 22:18:23 | More by Tbrookchris
DarkBeer

4.68/5  rDev +39.3%

This is a good inexpensive beer in Pennsylvania. It's made with Pa mountain spring water from the Laurel Run Reservoir. It's advertised as a beer that contains "no added sugars, salts, preservatives, or synthetic chemicals," making it known as the "natural choice." Yet, Straub uses corn flakes as a source of starch. This is the only con I see with Straub beer. I'm not sure how pure the corn flakes Straub uses are as corn flakes are processed, and moreover, I'd rather drink beer that is not brewed with corn flakes. On the other hand, this beer is one my favorites. It has a great blend of flavors - a hint of sweetness from the malted barley, light hops, and the corn flakes are actually blended nicely in this beer. The flavors are very rich, yet the mouthfeel is not too thick. The color is a nice amber, and this beer gives me an uplifting buzz. Straub is really underrated, and I'd be lying if I didn't give this beer a 5 out of 5 for taste. I prefer Straub Amber Lager over Yuengling any day.

10-30-2012 22:05:45 | More by DarkBeer
Sipchue

4.4/5  rDev +31%

My need to be fiscally responsible has forced me to seek out a beer that I can call my everyday beer, and Straub American Amber fills the bill. I've always preferred to keep corn out of my beer (and my gasoline). While I understand that corn is involved in the brewing process, I've not found substantial evidence in the flavor profile. I might even say that it seems apparent that Straub Amber is brewed with pride as it's first ingredient.

It pours clear and clean with a pleasing and satisfying amber color. It has an understated hop flavor and maltiness that, along with about 4% abv, leaves me content, and able to have a few more without the guilt that I sometimes feel for downing a couple of micros in a row. My rating considers the style and I've rated it high, without apology.

Some may find this silly, but I've always been one to stay away from what's "popular". Yuengling's Traditional Lager falls into that category. If you also prefer to walk the path less trodden, I would really recommend trying this brew.

12-28-2012 12:28:26 | More by Sipchue

ZachRusk

05-09-2013 22:39:29 | More by ZachRusk
Scrapss

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured semi-vigorously from the can into a standard Turbinator style glass.

A: Big bright white head and copper body. Nice looking brew and pretty on point for the style. minimal lacing and a finger of head that lasted a while.

S: Some graininess with a hint of mild esters. Also, some very mild grassy hop notes.

T: Some mild tea notes with very middle malts, some sweetness due to corn. Slightly bitter. Some light floral notes also peek about the edges.

M: Creamy without being overly full. The carbonation is perfect, and lends the brew to a slightly refreshing note. Very mild bitter finish with that floral ultimate finish. Pretty much infinitely poundable at such low ABV.

O: I really like this style and I really like this beer. I used to have Yuengling Lager as my go to canned format, but this has less of that bubblegummy estery thing going on and all the right malt, yeast and mild hops flavors. I do not see why this is not more popular out in Western PA, and certainly more popular than Yuengling it should be!

04-19-2014 17:02:01 | More by Scrapss
Uniobrew31

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

Great beer for the price. Looks good, a nice amber color with a good head retention. although its an adjunct the smell isnt corny. It smells like a beer should.
taste is very rich for a 20 dollar case of beer. mouthfeel is balanced maybe a bit on the sweet side but good. This is a really nice local beer with a great history behind it.

08-18-2013 19:12:40 | More by Uniobrew31
DrDemento456

3.83/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a bright amber color (as expected) with a 1/2 inch of sticky white head. I really like how the heads sticks around for a bit.

S - Smell is of bread and toasted malts, touch of caramel malt, and a bit of hops that is minimal but hell at least you can pick it out rather than guess with BMC.

T - Wow is this clean tasting. Dare I say the hops and malt are in harmony even more so than your traditional "lager" Yuengling. Lager yeasts are mild and so are the hops but the best part is the malt and water. With the toasted malts and caramel taste plus the clean water taste makes for a great beer.

M - Light to medium like Yuengling I could see myself taking on a six pack no problem.

Overall it's just as good as the Groundhog brew but seems to be in regular rotation. If the price matches or is cheaper than Yuengling this will be a staple in my fridge.

06-24-2012 21:47:41 | More by DrDemento456
Tr0janSlay3r

07-28-2013 23:01:05 | More by Tr0janSlay3r
curmudgeon236

03-12-2014 04:47:55 | More by curmudgeon236
jifigz

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Can poured into a pint glass.

When held up to the light the beer appears a very light copper color with minor hints of red. The head that was generated from my vigorous and aggressive pour is fluffy and white and lingering a lot longer than I anticipated that it would. This beer is very cold so the aroma is subdued a little bit, but I am picking up caramel notes with hints of a malty backbone that are almost Marzen-like in aroma. The flavor is a rather rich and malty concoction with a heavy flavor or caramel and toffee lingering on the end of the flavor. There is virtually no real hop flavor to this, but there is a presence to balance the sweetness. The MF is rather thin and light without much oomph.

Overall, I think that this is a solid beer considering I only payed 15 dollars for a case on sale. Straub, another old brewery from my home state of PA, made a pretty good beer here to compete with Yuengling it seems and I would much prefer this to a Yuengling any day. This beer is easy to drink, light on the palate, yet still retains a good amount of flavor.

11-13-2012 17:37:50 | More by jifigz
canawler

02-11-2014 15:33:09 | More by canawler
staticmaneuver

07-07-2012 20:59:23 | More by staticmaneuver
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

Very easy drinking, something I could always enjoy Straub Lager for when we bought it in 16 ounce returnable bottles back in the early college years. Pours a clear amber with a white foam head, not bad according to one of their local wholesaler reps they derive the color from actual specialty malts not caramel coloring here. Light bready nose, minimal hops, muted with a bit of fruitiness. Flavor has a clean pleasant sliced bread malt flavor with minimal hop bitterness to balance it out, it's fresh and well made for a regional brewer trying to stay afloat. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied with even keeled carbonation, nothing overbearing or off on the palate. Overall a well made refreshing amber lager, up there with similar products like Yuengling.

06-10-2012 04:21:31 | More by WVbeergeek
tone77

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has an amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some grains, a bit of sweetness. Taste is malty, some caramel, a bit of grains and breadiness, tasty and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and overall makes for a good session beer.

02-11-2014 20:09:57 | More by tone77

jtw21

07-22-2012 16:40:54 | More by jtw21
paulhargus

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

I've been meaning to try this beer for the longest time, and now that the Oktoberfests are basically gone, I decided to buy a 6 pack last week. I enjoyed it enough that I ordered a 1/4 keg. This review is based on the draft.

A: brownish amber with about an inch of white head which dissipated rather quickly. lacing did stick around though

S: strong roasted malt aroma with faint toffee notes. the roasted malt smell is noticeable on every sip, and quite enjoyable

T: caramel malt at first, then i get a strong wafer-like/smokey roasted taste to finish. the aftertaste reminds me a lot of a kit-kat bar

M: i would like this beer to be a little less watery and thin. i was hoping for a fuller body, but the thinness allows it to be drank in higher quantities (as well as it's relatively low ABV). medium carbonation

O: overall, this is a pretty solid offering from a PA brewery. although i am on the other side of the state, i like to keep it local (or regional if you will). i really enjoyed the roasted malt/smokey character of this brew. as i said, it loses a bit on the watery mouthfeel, almost to the point where i feel as if i'm drinking a light beer. however, the roasted aftertaste and drinkability make up for it. we'll see how i feel about it once this keg is done

11-04-2012 02:15:03 | More by paulhargus