Straub American Amber - Straub Brewery

Straub American AmberStraub American Amber

Straub Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: DerekP on 05-06-2012)

3.25/5  rDev -3%

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

3.25/5  rDev -3%

4.4/5  rDev +31.3%

My need to be fiscally responsible has forced me to seek out a beer that I can call my everyday beer, and Straub American Amber fills the bill. I've always preferred to keep corn out of my beer (and my gasoline). While I understand that corn is involved in the brewing process, I've not found substantial evidence in the flavor profile. I might even say that it seems apparent that Straub Amber is brewed with pride as it's first ingredient.

It pours clear and clean with a pleasing and satisfying amber color. It has an understated hop flavor and maltiness that, along with about 4% abv, leaves me content, and able to have a few more without the guilt that I sometimes feel for downing a couple of micros in a row. My rating considers the style and I've rated it high, without apology.

Some may find this silly, but I've always been one to stay away from what's "popular". Yuengling's Traditional Lager falls into that category. If you also prefer to walk the path less trodden, I would really recommend trying this brew.

A: Pours I am amber color loads of Bubbles that make a nice soft layer of foam which quickly dissipates.

S: Sweet malt and Light hops, nice balance between both. cops have a white citrusy burst to them.

T: the first thing you taste as sweet mall then a slight corn taste. followed by a light citrusy hop flavor.

M: mouth feel is medium to light bodied, slightly carbed.

O: Overall a very drinkable and smooth character with a decent price tag attached.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured an attractive caramely red-amber into a pint glass. Minimal, thin fizzy head. Smells slightly malty and mostly inconsequential. The beer tastes about like it smells, a hint of maltiness and nothing else. The beer feels fizzy and light and goes down easy.

This beer is about as boring as it gets but is a step above an Michelob amber boch or something like that, one of those "amber" versions of macrobrews that just smells like a sticky beer pong table and doesn't taste much better.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Can poured into a pint glass.

When held up to the light the beer appears a very light copper color with minor hints of red. The head that was generated from my vigorous and aggressive pour is fluffy and white and lingering a lot longer than I anticipated that it would. This beer is very cold so the aroma is subdued a little bit, but I am picking up caramel notes with hints of a malty backbone that are almost Marzen-like in aroma. The flavor is a rather rich and malty concoction with a heavy flavor or caramel and toffee lingering on the end of the flavor. There is virtually no real hop flavor to this, but there is a presence to balance the sweetness. The MF is rather thin and light without much oomph.

Overall, I think that this is a solid beer considering I only payed 15 dollars for a case on sale. Straub, another old brewery from my home state of PA, made a pretty good beer here to compete with Yuengling it seems and I would much prefer this to a Yuengling any day. This beer is easy to drink, light on the palate, yet still retains a good amount of flavor.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been meaning to try this beer for the longest time, and now that the Oktoberfests are basically gone, I decided to buy a 6 pack last week. I enjoyed it enough that I ordered a 1/4 keg. This review is based on the draft.

A: brownish amber with about an inch of white head which dissipated rather quickly. lacing did stick around though

S: strong roasted malt aroma with faint toffee notes. the roasted malt smell is noticeable on every sip, and quite enjoyable

T: caramel malt at first, then i get a strong wafer-like/smokey roasted taste to finish. the aftertaste reminds me a lot of a kit-kat bar

M: i would like this beer to be a little less watery and thin. i was hoping for a fuller body, but the thinness allows it to be drank in higher quantities (as well as it's relatively low ABV). medium carbonation

O: overall, this is a pretty solid offering from a PA brewery. although i am on the other side of the state, i like to keep it local (or regional if you will). i really enjoyed the roasted malt/smokey character of this brew. as i said, it loses a bit on the watery mouthfeel, almost to the point where i feel as if i'm drinking a light beer. however, the roasted aftertaste and drinkability make up for it. we'll see how i feel about it once this keg is done

4.68/5  rDev +39.7%

This is a good inexpensive beer in Pennsylvania. It's made with Pa mountain spring water from the Laurel Run Reservoir. It's advertised as a beer that contains "no added sugars, salts, preservatives, or synthetic chemicals," making it known as the "natural choice." Yet, Straub uses corn flakes as a source of starch. This is the only con I see with Straub beer. I'm not sure how pure the corn flakes Straub uses are as corn flakes are processed, and moreover, I'd rather drink beer that is not brewed with corn flakes. On the other hand, this beer is one my favorites. It has a great blend of flavors - a hint of sweetness from the malted barley, light hops, and the corn flakes are actually blended nicely in this beer. The flavors are very rich, yet the mouthfeel is not too thick. The color is a nice amber, and this beer gives me an uplifting buzz. Straub is really underrated, and I'd be lying if I didn't give this beer a 5 out of 5 for taste. I prefer Straub Amber Lager over Yuengling any day.

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

This was a gift to me at the end of Pints for Pets in Altoona from no less than Catherine Lenze, Director of Sales & Marketing at Straub Brewery. I promised to give it a fair shot, but I was awaiting a picture's approval before opening it as pictures of popped CANs look really cheap. Here we go!

From the CAN: "A Smooth, Rich Ameri[CAN] Amber Lager".

The Crack and inverted Glug was marvelous, invoking a semi-cascading action and resulting in two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. Nose had a faint metallic aspect along with a very grainy malt sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was moderately malty along with a faint metallic tang. Finish was semi-sweet and the lingering flavor was of freshly-milled malt. It was not anything that will knock one's socks off, but it was a good CANdidate for a) a session beer and b) one's summertime cooler. it also represents a real effort on the part of a small, regional brewery to step up their game. If you truly believe in "Buy Local, Drink Local", do not pass up a chance to have some of Straub's beer.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a medium amber color with a one finger white head. The head has a fair amount of retention and eventually fades to give a light to medium amount of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is of a caramel malt, brown bread, some roasted aromas as well as a light herbal hop smell.

Taste – The taste starts with a nice roasted malt and caramel taste. As the flavor advances some light hop flavors of an earthy and floral nature come into the taste. As these hops come into play, the caramel sweetness fades some but the malt taste retains its strength. In the end a roasty and lightly sweetened hop flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is average for the abv with a carbonation level being average to above average. The roastiness would be better enhanced by the slightly higher then average body, but the thickness of this brew was not bad none the less. The average to above average carbonation level makes it for an easy drinking, slightly exciting to drink brew. Good for the style and abv.

Overall – A great session amber brew. Easy to drink, not adjucty beer with a pretty good taste and feel.

Straub American Amber from Straub Brewery