Camo High Gravity Lager - Camo Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
2.73/5  rDev +46%

In Vegas on Fremont St. watching the show, half way through the can the back of my brain started with a dull numb feeling. Smelled clean with a slightly sweet alcohol vapor. Tasted clean with a lemon-lime and rose like alcohol. A tad grainy in the finish with some sweet corn in the back. This beer is obviously produced for people that want a quick buzz.

2.41/5  rDev +28.9%

I gotta admit I love the funky nature of the Malt Liquor business.
Here's a brew from God's Country, LaCrosse, Wisconsin made for a sinful Las Vegas based beer marketing firm.

Pours with a full charged up head. Color is a few units darker than most macros. Aroma might be charitably described as clean or negligible.

The taste is sweet and grainy. A slight warmth in the finish. Not exactly balanced and easily drinkable, but this stuff is certainly better to me than any light beer or the really damaged Schlitz at the bottom of my ranking sheet.

2.66/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Imperial pint glass (I know, I know, it's just wrong isn't it?) my 24 oz can of Camo High Gravity Lager delivered a clear, deep golden body beneath a creamy head of white that held surprisingly well and left some very nice rings of lace about the glass. Who knew?!

Alcohol is apparent in the nose. In fact, apart from a touch of fruitiness and some minor sweetish malt, there's nothing else there. Of course when you're drinking from a paper bag you don't really need a lot of aroma.

The body is typically medium-full with a dextrinous edge that's cut through with alcohol. The carbonation is restrained to help keep it "smooth" ;)

The flavor offers the typical adjunct-laden sweet malt, with a fruity edge and some higher alcohols thrown in thanks to a fast and hot fermentation. A minor hop flavor is discernable between start and mid-palate, but then the alcohol wash shuts pretty much everything else down. There's a little more.... a drip of cirtrus, some perfume - or maybe just roses... - a splash of the water that's left from a can of corn, a thin drizzle of honey. Bitterness is, as appropriate, limited but uneccessary due to the alcohol that cuts through the maltiness... er, sweetness.

Overall, it's certainly not the worst malt liquor I've ever had.. that award 's been earned by the King Of Beers with their "Hurricane". Nor is it the best. I'd place it middlin' to middlin'-bottom. Could be much better... don't complain to me if you get hammered and kill your neighbor or wake up with the worst hangover you've ever had and call in sick "forever" - I warned you! Oh, and if there really is a "Satan", it's more likely that he's involved with this beer than anything by the name of "Duvel". ;)

1.29/5  rDev -31%

oh snaps. the camo tall boy. no one poors this out come on. but the can is camo colored! so it makes up for the fact that this beer looks like typical crapola. the smells is of alcohol, nasty grains and maybe paint thinner i dont know, but it isnt pleasant. the taste? well if served ice cold, the goal is to swallow as much of the devil fluid as possible because once you stop and breath your senses will wake up to how truly fould this stuff is.the mouthfeel is thin and mineralish and finishing the tall boy can be a little challenging, especially if it has started to warm, but you can do it cow poke. this is also one of those beers that gives you the nasty shitty drunk, so be forewarned. but hey for 99 cents a tall boy, what did you expect....have fun...

1.48/5  rDev -20.9%

Goldish-amber hue, brilliantly white head, soapy retention. Gasoline nose, grainy, sweet… basically disgusting. Repulsively sweet, totally undrinkable. Alcohol is completely unpleasant. Harsh. Warms the belly immediately, sedates the brain equally as fast. Not fit for human consumption.

I wasted $1.59 for this 40 ounce, which I struggled to finish a glass of, I guess not every beer is worth reviewing.

1.16/5  rDev -38%

Poured into the glass a fizzy dull yellow with a thick white head.

Smelled like someone spilled corn syrup into an ashtray.

Taste like some poured the contants of that ashtray into a glass and served it to me. Sickly corn sweet with an awful burnt aftertaste. Just plain disgusting.

Mouthfeel is very watery and slick.

Drinkability would be zero if that were an option. Split a 24oz can three ways and all three of us struggled to finish our 8oz. Avoid at all costs.

1.61/5  rDev -13.9%

24oz.Can. This beer poured a medium creamy/soapy white head with fine-small sized bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was clear and carbonated. The hue of this beer was golden and there was no lacing.The nose was that of alcohol and it had a very weird flavor to it.This beer had a burning sensation as it was swallowed, it was bitey, it had an aftertaste that lingered and it was just plain unpleasing to my palate.

1.88/5  rDev +0.5%

a: pours a pale yellow colored beer with a quarter inch of head that dissapears very quickly leaving no lacing what so ever
s: adjunct malts heavy on the corn possibly some rice? no hop aroma, heavy alcohol aroma no attempt to hide
t: heavy on the adjunct corn malts, the rice malts that i suspected from the aroma really are not detectable, high alcohol burn, no hop bitterness to speak of
m: medium to light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that i believe i will be able to finish, never will buy again

1.38/5  rDev -26.2%

24 oz. can:

Pours translucent, but bright, yellow with a thin bubbly head that vanishes soon after. No lacing.

The smell is of fusel alcohol - raw. It brings back memories of my mother removing her nail polish - smells like nail polish remover. A slight whiff of grain is mixed in underneath - maybe.

The taste is nasty - sweet, raw alcohol, nail polish remover and soap. I wish the finish were a bit more abrupt, as the taste is horrid.

The feel is syrupy depite carbonation, a bit sticky, too.

There might be worse examples of the style, but I hope not. This shows the worst of the stereotypical malt liquor. A waste of 99 cents plus tax. sweet with nail polish and soap. There are better, more balanced (more flavored) malt liquors out there. This is insta-headache. Couldn't quite finish the first half, even with determination.

1.36/5  rDev -27.3%

Camo is the strongest, cheapest swill I have ever had. At 8.5% ABV it serves one purpose, getting you shitfaced for small price. The 24 oz. cans are always trouble, but in it's 40 oz. incarnation it's bearable when served ice cold, but you better get it down before it warms up or you'll be making love to the porcelain god all night long. If you have $3 bucks and REALLY wanna get wasted, this stuff is second to none, but otherwise steer clear of this crap at all costs.

2.07/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pale almost greenish yellow, pretty bright and vivid though. Soapy white head with pretty good retention. Ultra clear.

Smell: Very steely, slight alcohol burn, a little spicy character.

Taste: Steely and astringent, sour and acidic, but also some notes of apple cider like sweetness and notes of a bad bourbon.

Mouthfeel: No better or worse than any other malt liquor, light bodied, medium carbonation. A slight thick quality like a liquor.

Drinkability: I'd rather have a 211 High Gravity, this is pretty hard to throw back. None the less, this wasn't brewed to be delicious, and it gives a hell of a head rush especially if you drink it fast.

1.48/5  rDev -20.9%

I suppose this was inevitable, I had to review Camo. I'm reviewing it straight from a 40 oz. Let us see if I can drink the whole think without barfing. The last time I had one of these I made it through a third of it and poured it out, but tonight I'm desperate. The appearance is okay. It pours a caramel color with little froth and lacing. The smell is slightly strong but other than that it is flat. The taste, oh dear god in heaven the taste, is probably the worst thing to be called beer, excluding Camo Genuine Ale. (Half way done.) The taste is strong with alcohol and horribly sweet as if sweetened with Splenda. The taste is definitely not the high point of the beer. (Pretty drunk now.) The mouthfeel is a little thicker but sour. It has bad drinkablity. I can't chug it because it wouldn't give me enough time to get to the sink. There was maybe 3 or 4 mouthfulls left but I gotta barf anyway. A horrible beer that can serve a purpose if low on cash or self esteem.

1.03/5  rDev -44.9%

Clear 40 bottle with camoflage designs and a lot of x's on it. Medium yellow color. Smells of skunky alcohol. Taste makes you think of never drinking beer again. Harsh corny sweetness and lots of alcohol. Purely disgusting, woke up with a terrible hangover the next morning.

3.11/5  rDev +66.3%

Ok, I thought I would get this, because it looked cheesey. I mean, come on, a camoflage can? Well, I was expecting something rather bland and without distinction. Sure, it's no Weste 12, but it's got it's perks. The color was a reddish/straw color. Had no head whatsoever after a few minutes. Sure the head started out big and fluffy, but fell back quicker than the Iraqi army. But seriously folks, this wasn't a bad brew as far as Malts go. It's got a kind of flat citrusy taste to it mixed with alcohol. The alcohol is strong at 8.5%. Lemme tell you, it ain't masked either. The alcohol is out there and showin' everything it's got!

1.41/5  rDev -24.6%

Quick Side note: Paid a friend 5 bucks to chug 3 of these in less than 10 minutes...Still feel bad about it, and still don't know how it he did it to this day...

The name does a lot for it's taste. You just picture some nut wearing army fatigues drinking a can of Camo as he bombs your platoon..Nevertheless!

A- looked harmless..Pour a light yellow. Typical malt liquor color

S- I thought it was skunked scotch whiskey when I first smelled it.

T- tasted much like the above, but due to it's high alcohol content..you don't have much time to really analyze its bite

2.53/5  rDev +35.3%

Pours an extra clear pale straw, and a three finger head dissipates quickly, but will not lose a thin ring of foam. Laces nicely as well. Apple esters and alcohol fusels are faint, and make up the only aromas. Immediate ester sweetness and grainy alcohol taste, with a pale lager flavor and spent hop bitterness to back it up. The light body and active carbonation soften the blow of unbalanced cidery alcohol, and the semi-dry aftertaste boosts drinkability, but there is still little to discern this from other high gravity beverages.

Fizzy pale yellow beer. Large head. Aroma is a cross between wet cardboard and three day old garbage. It';s sweet, full of corn and watery, medicinal tasting and 8.6% alcohol, and on the bad side its only 8.6 % alcohol. This is by far the worst beer I've ever rated. I can't drink any more so the rest of this rating is from memory. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is medicinal. Aftertaste is alcohol and sweet. Turned on the tap and garbage disposal when I poured the rest of this crap down the drain...

2.6/5  rDev +39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The first time I went to Las Vegas, NV, I was abruptly introduced to five (as I remember) different versions of Camo malt liquor. I purchased and consumed every single variety. This review is based on a singular consumption of Camo High Gravity Lager.

1.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

ugh. had to try this cuz i had not seen it before. poured from the can with about one inch of head that settled quickly. smells of smell. grain, skunk, metal... taste is worse. i did finish it but i have made mistakes before. if you are looking for high alcohol malt liquor buzz there are plenty of better choices. barf.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.12/5  rDev +66.8%

Coming at you from the Sin City. CAMO 24, in my opinion is a mix of malt liquor and grape soda. I can find them at a liguor store down the road from me for about $1.05. For 24oz and the high alchohol it's definately worth the money. It's extremely easy to drink and the strange beer/wine flavor is quite interesting.

I will continue to pick these guys up when I need a quick and cheap pick me up.

1.53/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is some bad beer.

I had it out of a glass, which was a little generous considering what I was having. Camo has all the alchohol of a tripel with none of the baggage of being a complex, delicious beer.

Pale and sickly with a piss foam head.

Smelled sweet and metallic, but in a sickly way.

Sweet taste, too, lots of adjuncts, not much malt flavor, tons of alchohol flavor.

You do the math.

1.13/5  rDev -39.6%

OK... I'm probably one of very few people to ever pour this into a glass! This is meant to be swilled directly from the can or bottle for the sole purpose of getting shitfaced very cheaply. Appearance was typical macro-piss yellow. A large, coarse white head quickly disappeared. Smell was a sickening mixture of cooked corn and alcohol. Taste was surprisingly sweet (nearly cloyingly so!) with maybe a hint of malt flavor, then loads of corn and alcohol. No hint of hops. Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. If you're going to drink this, try to keep it as cold as possible... it gets worse when warm! I'll give it this, though: for what it is, it was amazingly smooth! So, I guess it succeeds as an alcohol delivery system... if not as a tasty beer!

Damn Gas & Grab had these advertised for $.99 – guess they were trying to get rid of the crap and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Crap stank like gym socks, and tasted like someone had barfed in the can. One of the only *beers* (tongue in cheek) that I almost didn't finish (gagged down about 2/3, then chugged the final 1/3), and could be one of the few reviews on this site that I stick with a *1*

1.85/5  rDev -1.1%

I remember this stuff, we used to use it to embalm dead cats, right before we dissected them in biology class.

Camo, a “High Gravity Lager” beer, comes in a green camouflage decorated 24oz can. Camo HGL pours an amber colour with hardly any carbonation to speak of. The 8.5% alcohol by volume is the only thing of interest with this substitute for formaldehyde. Unpleasantly sticky and with some saccharide sweetness, Camo HGL pours just about dead flat.

Maybe the can makers thought that if we can sell the brewers on the idea of a camouflaged can, then nobody will see the stuff on the shelf and we will all be safe from this beer.

I picked up three of the 24oz cans, and within a few hours I was back in the form of a can of camo. I had been possessed by the Camo HGL, and found my self buying a case of twelve 24oz cans, that I still regret to this day. Drink with restraint or in restraints, your choice, but preferably the latter, everyone will be a lot safer.

1.58/5  rDev -15.5%

Five X's on the front of this can. Isn't that the international label for poison. This stuff didn't kill me, just made me wish it had. A pale yellow with a frizzy white head. The nose is especially grainy. The flavor profile is flat and of bitter alcohol. Quite a light body and too much carbonation. Not highly recommended.

to view more.